RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich Today at 2:34 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 2:01 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool Today at 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17117 messages in 1006 subjects

When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven

3 posters

Go down

When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven Empty When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven

Post by joecool July 15th 2022, 9:23 pm

I'm still helping my sister-in-law work through the passing of her husband. Sadly, he didn't prepare her for this, but I'm glad to be close enough to help out. I provide this long list of offices to contact in the event the need comes up in your future.

(your state) Veterans Affairs - Offices are likely close to your location. They can walk the survivor through everything that the VA can provide. It ranges from helping with funeral expenses, to seeing if the spouse qualifies for a Survivor's Pension or a special VA home loan, and more. There's also a generous Survivor's Indemnity pension if the veteran's death was service-connected and the spouse has limited assets to live on.

Veteran's Benefits Assistance Services (1-800-827-1000) - They can give you a list of who you should contact.

DFAS (1-800-321-1080) - If the veteran had a retirement pension, they can confirm whether or not it will continue to be given to the spouse. If not, they will tell you when to expect the final payment. They will ask you for a copy of the death certificate.

Social Security (1-800-772-1213) - If you were already getting SS payments, the survivor will get the larger of the two payments, but not both. If the survivor isn't of retirement age, there many be other benefits to help out. SS will need a copy of the marriage certificate.

TriCare For Life (1-866-773-0404) - By now, most military retirees are probably in this medical plan. The spouse will continue to receive it.

DEERS (1-800-538-9552) - A copy of the death certificate needs to go to them.

Medical Records online (www.va.gov/health-care/get-medical-records) - This option was a big fail.

Military One Source (www.militaryonesource.mil) - This office can set up a military memorial service. The site also has a Survivor's Benefit Guide you can download.

Medicare (1-800-633-4227) - Social Security informs them of the death.

Express Scripts (1-877-363-1303) - For cancelling mailed prescriptions.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven Empty Re: When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven

Post by Claymore July 18th 2022, 11:52 am

Good information.

We crunched the numbers and looked at the "survivor" program on my military retirement. Because the payment reducing my retirement was pretty significant, and the benefits to my wife would be at a noticeably reduced level, and that I was in better health than my wife, we declined it.

She WILL receive my total police pension, without reduction when I should pass.

I told her to take her Social Security Check, put it into her retirement fund, and she will have more money than if we took the reduction in pay for the survivor's plan.

(And if we both kick off, we'll be leaving more money for our kids.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven Empty Re: When a Veteran is Promoted to Heaven

Post by ccm2361 July 20th 2022, 10:51 pm

Good info

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down