RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Next Domino To Fall
by Claymore Today at 2:02 am

» Culture Rot
by Claymore Today at 1:57 am

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17110 messages in 1005 subjects

They Still Remember....

3 posters

Go down

They Still Remember.... Empty They Still Remember....

Post by Claymore March 8th 2024, 2:30 pm

I came upon a post from a young man that I had in Rangers, 32 years ago. He is Jimmy, and he is also a member of the forum, here.

He was a great member of our Outpost in Milwaukee. He has grown up, served in the military, returned, and has a fine family going.

So when I commented on a picture of Jimmy, his brother, and my son in Milwaukee, Jimmy came back with the reply of "MOUNT UP".

Good Lord! I think that the last time that I used that term with him was when we went Winter Camping with Improvised Shelters in Wisconsin on New Years Eve, in about 1993.

We had the Church Van full of boys, me and assistant leader, Jim Sukup in front, and pulling a trailer full of sleeping bags and tarps.

We stopped for gas in Beloit, Wisconsin, where the boys went in and stocked up on all of the needed essentials for camping; Hershey & Baby Ruth Bars.

After the van was filled, and the boys had purchased their goodies, I shouted to the bunch, "RANGERS, MOUNT-UP.".

After all of that time, some of them still remember.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

ccm2361 and Jameskostich like this post

Back to top Go down

They Still Remember.... Empty Re: They Still Remember....

Post by ccm2361 March 8th 2024, 9:31 pm

Sometimes we never know the impact we have had on our Rangers lives.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Claymore and Jameskostich like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

In 30 years of doing Rangers, there were about five boys who REALLY stood out as being exceptional.

They weren't the ones trying to take charge or show their expertise. They were the ones who were quiet in class, and almost got overlooked, because they were able to perform the tasks with little-or-no assistance.

Back in the 1990's, in Milwaukee, we were working on a task in survival or firecraft, or ropecraft,...... Anyway, I had explained what the purpose of it was, and had demonstrated how the boys were to perform the task, and gave them the materials to work with.

As I was going from boy-to-boy, making corrections and setting them on the right path, I looked to the side, and saw Jimmy, kneeling on the floor with his project in front of him, and quietly performing the task, flawlessly.

I kind-of lowered my head and slowly shook it, & said to myself, "Son of a gun. Some of them ARE paying attention!".

(On many occasions, when I feel that I might have better things to do with my time, I remember that moment, and that it shows how you might be making an impression that you don't see.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Jameskostich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jameskostich April 2nd 2024, 3:17 pm

Being a part of the rangers really helped shape the soldier and man I became. Not just from a military point of view, but also a building block in my faith as well.

Jameskostich
Recruit

ccm2361, Claymore and joecool like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

Jameskostich wrote:Being a part of the rangers really helped shape the soldier and man I became. Not just from a military point of view, but also a building block in my faith as well.

Jimmy,

I am humbled. You have no idea how much that encourages me.

On a semi-related point:

Our church here is Church of God, which has also adopted the Royal Rangers Program (which I've been running for about 14 years, now).

About 8 years ago, we had a pastor who was causing all sorts of confusion and division. People were fighting. He was berating people in our church and State Headquarters in his sermons. He was telling us what religious charities we could or could not give to, and what television preachers we could watch. Folks were leaving. It was not a fun place.

I was in the Fellowship Hall, adjoining the sanctuary, and I was kind-of flirting with the idea of leaving. I said, "There's an Assembly of God Church, just down the road. A/G is OK. They're kind-of laid-back. I was A/G for about 20 years. I could handle that....".

Then I heard an audible voice say, "It's not about YOU."

(Aw, Man. I didn't want to hear that.)

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down