RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 14th 2024, 3:44 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:13 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17066 messages in 1004 subjects

October Thread

+3
Canadarangers
Claymore
RRCmdrBennett
7 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

October Thread Empty October Thread

Post by Phillip Gross October 2nd 2015, 10:07 am

Rain, rain, and more rain. My clover is loving it so far, but it's been a nice steady, on and off rain for the past couple weeks. There may be some real downpours coming this weekend though. Hope my crop is well enough established to handle it.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

October Thread Empty Re: October Thread

Post by joecool October 2nd 2015, 10:35 am

Rain and a high of 45 degrees tomorrow. Had to cancel a couple's camping trip. Speaking of clover, I still have a 5-leaf specimen that I found as a boy. If you're ever out of things to do, Phillip, get on your hands and knees.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 3rd 2015, 7:35 am

joecool wrote:Rain and a high of 45 degrees tomorrow. Had to cancel a couple's camping trip.
We ended up cancelling a RR merit camp we had planned for this weekend too. I didn't think it would be productive trying to get boys through a merit out in the woods in the rain.
joecool wrote: Speaking of clover, I still have a 5-leaf specimen that I found as a boy.
Does that bring EXTRA good luck??? Smile

joecool wrote:If you're ever out of things to do, Phillip, get on your hands and knees.
HA! That'll be the day! Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 4th 2015, 4:14 am

And to add more to do....

Just got a text message at 0346 from pastor that church has been cancelled today because of rising water at the church and no electricity there, or the surrounding area, so I'm getting ready to head up there to see what needs to be done. Apparently water is only a couple inches from entering the building at this point and we're supposed to have more rain today and possibly tomorrow too.

I had heard people saying we could get 12" of rain this weekend with this storm, but I just didn't think it would happen. I did try to imagine though who would have issues if it did flood like that though. Guess the church is on the list now!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 4th 2015, 6:22 am

Just got back from the church digging a diversion trench away from the front door towards a slight slope away. It drained out nicely, so hopefully that'll take care of it. Only broke one shovel in the process. The blade sinks easily into the saturated earth, but then creates a vicious suction when trying to pry a shovel full out.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 4th 2015, 9:39 am

Reminds me of a particularly bad fire in SoCal. The fire lasted a week and destroyed over a thousand homes. It started when a lost hunter built a small fire to help a search helo find him. It spread a bit when he got picked up, but as the sun was setting, the decision was made not to send firefighters until daybreak.

By then, whipped by high winds, it had traveled over 20 miles. We awoke to see a long ribbon of fire approaching. Our church was just outside of town, services were cancelled, and a lot of members rushed over. We were met by hundreds of people on the road, evacuating with horse trailers and the like. We did the best we could to clear sagebrush from around the church. Above us was a single home where a retired pastor lived. We got him and his wife out of there.

A side story to illustrate how bad it was. A friend of mine lived further out and he had lots of experience fighting fires. In fact, he had put a 20-foot tall water tank on his property and had pumps and hoses. After he drove his family to safety, he returned to save his home. He picked up a 2-1/2 inch hose and charged it. When the fire arrived and he opened the nozzle, he was astonished to see that the water was evaporating before it really hit the flames. Jumped in his truck and drove down the mountain by memory, sitting in the middle because the windows were too hot. Four of his neighbors died. Another friend of ours was a caretaker of a Christian camp out there. They were cut off by the flames. He turned on the baseball field sprinklers, then he and his wife got in their truck and drove around on the field in the cooler areas.

As the flames neared the church, a fire marshall drove by and said this area wasn't going to get any firefighters. An hour later, the wall of flames split and went around the pastor's house and our church. The story ended up on TV. Do what you can and then trust in God.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 4th 2015, 1:25 pm

No matter how advanced man can be, there's really no match when nature gets going outside of God's hand of protection!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 4th 2015, 1:39 pm

New East coast shoreline.

[img]October Thread FB_IMG_1443979842327_zpsbsucguzh[/img]
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 4th 2015, 2:08 pm

Claymore wrote:
joecool wrote:A protest vote is as good as voting liberal. We got two terms of Bubba thanks to all those who were fooled by Perot. If you want to protest, do it before the general election.

Absolutely!

"Fed-Up" Conservatives who voted for Perot instead of G. Bush, Sr is why Bill Clinton became president and got his famous "Assault Weapons Ban" pushed through.

If you want to see it happen again, vote Third-Party.

"Those Who Do Not Learn From History Are Doomed To Repeat It", George Santayana.

Why is 3rd party always a vote for a liberal? If GOP was doing its job people would vote GOP. Even under Reagan we got the Brady Bill and the 1986 full auto limitation. What if I told you GOP and DEMS are two sides of a coin. Just GOP is the face end and Dems are the anus side. If GOP loses over 1% 3rd party voters there is something very wrong with Republican party. GOP needs to stop blaming everyone else for their failings and become the conservative party again. Why demand allegiance to leaders running the party with people like Beohner as Speaker, John McCain, and Mitt Romney as the best we got. I wish people would not be such party liners its no different on either side. Stop picking lesser of two evils.

Tell me is there a difference between a non voter and 3rd party voter? The 3rd party voter just makes his goice heard that he or she doesn't approve of the status quo of the two party system. How many decades was US in a cold war with a one party communist Russia but have no problem with same thing happening in a two party system here.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 4th 2015, 2:10 pm

What did we get by voting Bush Jr an embarassment of a president and one who signed the (anti)-patriot Act into "law".

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 4th 2015, 3:10 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote: If GOP loses over 1% 3rd party voters there is something very wrong with Republican party.

Perot got close to 20% of the national popular vote, mostly Republicans, the first time he ran. He received less the second time around, after he strangely jumped out and back into the race. He scared the establishment, and both parties have passed all kinds of rules and policies that make it all-but-impossible for a future credible 3rd party challenge. Only at the local level is this possible...for now.

National-level politicians love that there are no limits to corporate/union donations. That way, they don't have to listen to the little people.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 4th 2015, 3:19 pm

"Vote for the Most Conservative, Viable Candidate", William F. Buckley.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 4th 2015, 3:39 pm

Claymore wrote:"Vote for the Most Conservative, Viable Candidate", William F. Buckley.

Its because people think GOP vs DEM are the only viable candidates that our country is in the mess its in now. We need to stop following Buckley's quote and vote for the right man or woman. What other way is there to reform the GOP? If the GOP are guaranteed to get votes of those whose mindsets are like Buckley they will never change.

Its as crazy as expecting two big grocery stores to take its no-gun signs down by continuing to be a loyal shopper of their stores. Find a third store that gives you what you want it will cut into both of the liberal's stores bottom line. It doesn't help either of the two stores by shopping a third one. It equally cuts both big stores.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 4th 2015, 3:42 pm

joecool wrote:
RRCmdrBennett wrote:  If GOP loses over 1% 3rd party voters there is something very wrong with Republican party.

Perot got close to 20% of the national popular vote, mostly Republicans, the first time he ran. He received less the second time around, after he strangely jumped out and back into the race. He scared the establishment, and both parties have passed all kinds of rules and policies that make it all-but-impossible for a future credible 3rd party challenge. Only at the local level is this possible...for now.

National-level politicians love that there are no limits to corporate/union donations. That way, they don't have to listen to the little people.

Perot was an anomaly. Typical elections third party only holds 1% of popular.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 4th 2015, 3:44 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:New East coast shoreline.

October Thread <a href=October Thread FB_IMG_1443979842327_zpsbsucguzh" />

We need that change in coastline to happen in CA, NY, and NJ.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 4th 2015, 10:00 pm

I still have a few friends there.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 5th 2015, 12:32 am

40 years ago, I was being reassigned from Army Parachute Rigger School at Fort Lee, Virginia. I looked at driving to Wisconsin from there. The "Shortest" Route looked like going up I-95 to D.C., catch I-270, then I-70 to I-76 to I-80 West.

After one look at that "Rats Nest" in the vicinity of Washington, I said the heck with that, & chose the "longer" route of I-64.

I have never been anywhere on the East Coast north of Fort Lee/Norfolk, and was happy to leave it that way.

(Well, kind-of. I flew in from the Azores in a C-130 Hercules, and we parachuted into Fort Devens, Mass, but then we got on the plane again and flew right out; never setting foot off of the Military Reservation.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 5th 2015, 8:18 am

Been to DC a couple times. The first was a Promise Keepers rally in the 90's and the second was the 8/28 Glenn Beck rally. The events were good, but the town is horrible and I won't be sad if I never go back.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 5th 2015, 8:19 am

joecool wrote:I still have a few friends there.
Where? South Carolina, or the places Dan wants washed off the map? Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 5th 2015, 5:02 pm

Speaking of rain, I'm replacing rotted joists under the deck. Turned out my builder's subcontractor used non-treated wood. Now that's it's cool, I'm tackling this project. My brother-in-law, once a builder, says I was lucky they lasted as long as they did. I won't be doing this again in my lifetime. "Do it right the first time" is one of my mottos. It's funny how we're sometimes too busy to do it the right way, but we always manage to find the time to re-do it later.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 5th 2015, 8:26 pm

When I worked Commercial Construction in Milwaukee, there was a sign that you saw when you drove onto the Job Site.  It said just that......

"Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 6th 2015, 10:01 pm

Same mentality as our government has: "Let someone else deal with it later..."
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 6th 2015, 10:09 pm

"Invested" in a new tool today! Business has been pretty slow lately, so I've been working around the shop on various welding projects. I've been using my old stick welder, but it gets a little tricky on thinner material. I'm no pro by any stretch, but I've gotten fairly decent at laying a bead. Anyway, since I'm not making much money lately, I decided to do the only logical thing and go spend some! Laughing (Plus my b-day was over the weekend, so... happy birthday to me!) I bought a Miller mig welder and it is SWEET!! It's so easy to weld with that it almost feels like cheating. Looking forward to getting back into the shop tomorrow morning to continue working on my project.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 6th 2015, 11:13 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:Same mentality as our government has: "Let someone else deal with it later..."

Tired of politicians kicking the can down the road. That goes from Main Street and on to The Road To Morocco (Boy, doesn't that date me!). The Fed, or any other branch of the gov't, can only use duct tape for so long. Everything will crash shortly after the new president is sworn in. Instead of a long period of small adjustments and shared pain, we're in for a major hurt all at once. Be ready.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 6th 2015, 11:28 pm

Phillip Gross wrote: I bought a Miller mig welder and it is SWEET!! It's so easy to weld with that it almost feels like cheating. Looking forward to getting back into the shop tomorrow morning to continue working on my project.

I REALLY wanted to take courses to be a Machinist, but decided against it. I knew how much mischief I could get into, if I could operate a Milling Machine.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next