RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 2:01 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool Today at 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17116 messages in 1006 subjects

June 2022 Thread

3 posters

Go down

June 2022 Thread Empty June 2022 Thread

Post by joecool June 1st 2022, 7:08 pm

If my last post on the Inter-Mission thread seemed negative, that's because I'm feeling down. But at least I figured something out overnight.

I find myself where I was 8 years ago. Back then, my church was in an attendance free fall. I was desperately trying to keep all the ministries going, as a lay leader and as a deacon. And then I came across an article that described churches by their size:

Corporate 351 or more in attendance
Program 151-350
Pastoral 51-150
Family up to 50

My church of 280 had fallen down into the pastoral range, and I was still trying to maintain all the programs. There just weren't enough people to cover all the bases, so I stretched myself where I could. With a new pastor, we climbed from a low of 80 to 130, and things were definitely looking up. Then COVID hit, many people have just stayed away, and we're back to 80 on a good day.

My brain is still wired for programs, though, tweaking and re-inventing for better results. But it's hard. Some of the guys in my age range who used to help out have pretty much checked out, preferring to focus on end times articles. The culture stinks and the ground is hard. Maybe I just need to accept things as they are and move on. Maybe it's time for the Benedict Option.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

June 2022 Thread Empty Re: June 2022 Thread

Post by Claymore June 1st 2022, 11:52 pm

JoeCool,

We are creatures of this Earth, and so we pay the most attention to what we can see, hear, touch, and taste. Numbers are things that we can see, and so they gain our attention.

A pastor of a church of 2,000 will almost always have a higher salary than a pastor of a church of 200. Is it Fair? No. Is it Correct? Yes, because the pastor of the larger church justifies his position by physical results.

But we have to remember that God's Math is not Our Math. He is not constrained by our earthly numbers. That's why the Miracle of the Loaves & the Fishes for 5,000 was no harder for Jesus than making several jugs of wine for a wedding.

The analogy of leaving the entire flock for the single lamb makes no numerical sense -- but it is God's Math.

When I get only 4 boys in Rangers and they ask why we don't play Capture the Flag, I explain that, with the strategy and teamwork needed, we need at least 6 to 8 boys to make it work. On the nights that we have that many, remind me.

I know that with God's math, if He gives me a few loaves and fishes, and I work with it in good faith, then He'll leave me twelve baskets of leftovers.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 June 4th 2022, 12:44 pm

joecool wrote:
I find myself where I was 8 years ago. Back then, my church was in an attendance free fall. I was desperately trying to keep all the ministries going, as a lay leader and as a deacon. And then I came across an article that described churches by their size:

Corporate    351 or more in attendance
Program      151-350
Pastoral       51-150
Family         up to 50

My church of 280 had fallen down into the pastoral range, and I was still trying to maintain all the programs. There just weren't enough people to cover all the bases, so I stretched myself where I could. With a new pastor, we climbed from a low of 80 to 130, and things were definitely looking up. Then COVID hit, many people have just stayed away, and we're back to 80 on a good day.  

Boy, do I feel your pain there.
Our church has fallen from 50 down to 13 in the last 8 years. We hav elost all our ministries. only things left are Sunday morning service & Bible study on wednesday night

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 4th 2022, 4:35 pm

ccm2361 wrote: Our church has fallen from 50 down to 13 in the last 8 years. We have lost all our ministries. only things left are Sunday morning service & Bible study on wednesday night

I have no advice for you, as we haven't figured out our own attendance problems. The world has changed, and changed people along with it. I'm not going to go into details here, but I believe that the world's dominant (evil) culture has groomed people. They are happy being lukewarm and comfortable, and too many of their pastors gloss over the contrary warning in Revelation. I do NOT believe that the last days will include some great revival that grows the Church before the Rapture. As far as I'm concerned, especially since my gifts limit my outreach abilities, I will focus on building up the spiritual strength of the saints. Stand on His Word and remain faithful.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 4th 2022, 4:41 pm

Well,

Jesus said that He would separate the Wheat from the Chaff.

(I think that we're in the correct basket.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 8th 2022, 3:15 pm

Went to see my brother yesterday in the hospital on the other side of the state. Had another procedure while we were there, and came out okay. No idea when he gets discharged, but he's looking at a minimum of a month's rehab. Appreciate your prayers.

Moved our Mom in with me today. We can't let her live alone anymore. At 86, it's time.

Finally, we're getting ready to begin a week's VBS. It focuses on life (Answers in Genesis) and has an Australian theme. Plenty of adult volunteers, but I have no idea how many kids will show up.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 9th 2022, 10:23 am

joecool wrote:

Finally, we're getting ready to begin a week's VBS. It focuses on life (Answers in Genesis) and has an Australian theme. .

Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down
Tie me kangaroo down

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde
And that's it hangin' on the shed!!
Altogether now!..........

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 9th 2022, 5:25 pm

Claymore wrote:
Tie me kangaroo down
Tie me kangaroo down

The wife and I bought a pricey kangaroo costume, which really looks good. There's an elementary school a few blocks down the hill from the church. We went there one day to advertise the VBS and hand out registration sheets to parents. The kids loved it. But who knows how many parents will take them to it. The last day includes a closing shrimp on the barbie feed for the parents who do come.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 June 11th 2022, 10:39 am

on vacation for the next week Sunny

of course it is supposed to be North of 90 degrees Monday & Tuesday

Hoping to head out & do some target shooting on Monday bang

usually we take some day trips along with doing some projects around home. But with gas at $5.12 a gallon; I doubt we will be going far. aargh

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 13th 2022, 3:08 pm

joecool wrote: Finally, we're getting ready to begin a week's VBS. It focuses on life (Answers in Genesis) and has an Australian theme. Plenty of adult volunteers, but I have no idea how many kids will show up.

Prayed that the number of kids would exceed the number of volunteers. We had 24 kids, most of them not from our church. Glitches are always the worst on the first day, but it went real well. Must be all that Ranger training.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 13th 2022, 5:55 pm

joecool wrote: Must be all that Ranger training.  

(Outpost 28 Yell: "Rangers Lead the Way"
Outpost 28 Motto: "Adapt and Overcome")

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 13th 2022, 6:27 pm

Claymore wrote: (Outpost 28 Yell:  "Rangers Lead the Way"
Outpost 28 Motto: "Adapt and Overcome")

Outpost 77 Yell: (crickets)
Outpost 77 Motto: (more crickets)

Sigh.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 16th 2022, 4:11 pm

We're up to 34 kids in our VBS program, with one last morning to go. This weekend, we'll mail out their certificates, along with a flyer outlining our overall children's program.

Pastor and I are already planning next year's VBS. We're going to develop everything ourselves and use our Third Light Cavalry to tie it all together. It might be called Fort Mission, playing on the missions that each one of us is called to complete. (makes it easy to include missions offerings, too)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 16th 2022, 7:31 pm

JoeCool, Congratulations.

I was going to ask if you received any feedback from the kids or parents, but it looks like your numbers speak for themselves.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down