RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 24th 2024, 5:33 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17107 messages in 1005 subjects

Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out

3 posters

Go down

Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out Empty Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out

Post by Roguedawg October 17th 2018, 11:50 pm

Hey everybody - the camp out was a hit.  The co-chair Rick Lines plasma cut some tin projects for the boys to finish.  His equipment was too large to bring on site so he did a work through, cut the pieces, and brought tools for the kids to use.  They got to make noise and sparks. Yeeh Haw.  He asked me for a project idea and I told him that when I was in Rangers, the moms would complain that the rangers would toss their uniforms, bolos, and hats on the floor.  Figuring that scouts do the same thing, he made a uniform and neckerchief holder.  I polished mine and blued it.  It looks nice.

I had the Kilted Smithy show up with his crew of 5.  They are a group of 20 year old guys that get together once a week with their kilts and do blacksmithing.  They also work with home schoolers teaching blacksmithing  are are home schoolers themselves.  I heard of them from a guy at church.  I met with them and they were playing Skillet and Thousand Foot Krutch in their garage/forge.  I was looking to get 1 blacksmith and got five?

I ran into a guy that I was in scouts with as a kid and himself and his son were into blacksmithing.  So I ended up with 7 blacksmiths.  The scouts wold make a tent stake by making a point, bending the end, and putting a twist in it.  This completed on requirement with the Metal Working Merit Badge.  The adults were able to make a dinner triangle or a dutch oven lifting tool.  I received a 100 foot 3/8 square iron stock donation which was nice.

I had a dad in my troop that was in another troop in my town.  I asked him if he could run a brazing and soldering station.  The scouts were able to make a three horse shoe nail ring or a key neckerchief slide from 3/4 copper pipe soldered on a brass key.  I had a box of metal pieces from a junk drawer from my garage. I saw some Grub screw slides going around.

The camp ranger is also a contractor and got out his aluminum trim brake and had some examples of use of the trim and his brake.  

At the Scout's Own Service, our youth pastor and Eagle Scout, Josiah Hartman provided the worship and message.  23 Gideon testaments were given out and one scout accepted the Lord when the salvation message was given.  I had a good discussion with a scoutmaster concerning the spiritual gifts.  He just started going to a pentecostyal church and was seeking the spiritual gifts.  He commented that the gifts were for "then, but not now" being preached, but it never made sense to him until now.

Here is a link for some of the pictures taken by my son Caleb.  He is working on a video using "Let the Sparks Fly" by Thousand Foot Krutch.  I will show the Youtube video as son as it is posted.  Does anybody know of some good blacksmithing songs I could make a video or PPT presentation?  I watched on youtube Seth Lakeman - Blacksmith's Prayer that wasn't too bad.  I wish Metal Bender was present at the event.  He would be in his glory.

43 scouts earned their Metal Working Merit Badge. I had a cool patch made. The arm and hammer move. Cool huh?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KHf9n9RhEU1U4zbd7

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out Empty Re: Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out

Post by Mark Jones October 18th 2018, 12:54 pm

Outstanding. If we all did this stuff with our Scouts and Rangers the place would be packed out all the time. Good to see you preaching the Gospel to your fellow leaders. That's great stuff there.

It's amazing how we can talk to these boys and men using simple methods with our hands like what you have done here. Teaching by doing with hands on having the boys do what they are able to do is RIGHT ON!

I had boys last night in Rangers enjoying themselves so much they had almost no discipline issues and having a great time of it. All one needs is a few blocks of wood some battons, 16 survival knives, some jute twine 16 metal matches and they are enjoying the program. We made hobo stoves the last 3 weeks and are now splitting wood for them and showing them how to use the metal matches to light them. Backpacking Entry trip in 10 days. Please pray for weather to be good for this event.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out Empty Re: Forging Friendships in Scouting Camp Out

Post by Mark Jones October 18th 2018, 12:56 pm

That activity patch with the action hammer is awesome. Coolness!
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg October 18th 2018, 4:13 pm

Hobo stoves - did I ever send you the plans to make a mess kit out of a #10 can. Fry pan, fork/knife/spoon/flipper and plate from one can. I also made up plans for a rocket stove from two #10 cans and a soup can. Of course you got the alcohol stove made from a pop can. Just get the boys out working with their hands.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 19th 2018, 5:29 am

Great pictures. Looks like you guys had a blast. Praise the Lord for another soul saved!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down