RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 14th 2024, 3:44 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:13 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17066 messages in 1004 subjects

May 2017 Thread

+2
joecool
Claymore
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

May 2017 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: May 2017 Thread

Post by Claymore May 26th 2017, 4:17 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:
joecool wrote:
Phillip Gross wrote:
joecool wrote:Last night was our last ministry gig with children. Time to pass the torch after 35 years.
Are you good with this? Meaning, is this your first choice, or it just the best option given the circumstances?

Let's put it this way. When our church was bigger, and we had 40 kids in a class, it was easy to manage. Ten years later, we have 10 kids, and they're rude, undisciplined and disrespectful. Things have changed, and I no longer want to babysit other people's kids.

I definitely understand the difference a generation makes.

Well, I look at other guys that I worked with. Some are playing golf; some are touring on motorcycles, some are running second careers and getting fairly wealthy. My best friend from the Department is retiring this year, and has been accepted to Marquette Law School.

There's nothing wrong with any of the above things, but when I get ready to Cross the River, and the Lord asks what I did for my last 10 or 15 years, I'll only be able to say, "I tried training 8 to 14 year-old boys in Skills, Teamwork, Leadership, & Your Word".

Hopefully, He'll be good with that.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross May 26th 2017, 8:10 pm

I was reminded of just that this year at Pow Wow. It's been an extremely busy year for us and Royal Rangers was turning into a grind, but seeing my boys cry out to the Lord reinvigorated me and reminded me why I'm involved in this long term proposition.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross May 27th 2017, 10:47 pm

Had our annual COA today. It went well and I think we may harvest a few more commanders (fingers crossed) from some of the dads of girls in AHG. I've been working on a couple of them for awhile and I think it may happen.

We've done the annual COA for a couple years now and it has worked out fairly well, but I think this coming year we're going to do it biannually. I don't think we'll do it quarterly because that takes another couple outpost meetings away from our schedule that we can't afford with us taking a summer break.

Plan on having a commanders meeting soon for the current and new recruits to discuss what worked and didn't work this past year, and what we plan to do for the upcoming year. Then we'll probably meet another time or two leading up to the August kick off to iron everything out.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 28th 2017, 8:17 pm

It sounds like your Outpost is making progress. I know that it doesn't come cheap or easy.

Congratulations, & Good Job!

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross May 28th 2017, 10:04 pm

Progress? Sometimes it's two steps forwards after anywhere from 1-3 steps backwards... Laughing This year started put great, then got really difficult because of a few different things, then ended up pretty well. Gained, lost, and gained boys. Might have ended up with the same amount of yardage at the end. I don't know....
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore May 29th 2017, 12:56 am

Phillip Gross wrote:Progress? Sometimes it's two steps forwards after anywhere from 1-3 steps backwards... Laughing .

Kind-of like the dance, when shopping with my wife:

A-One and A-Two and A-"Ooh, what's this?"

A-One and A-Two and A-"Ooh, what's this?"

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones May 31st 2017, 7:19 am

Trip report of our High Adventure to the Grand Canyon!

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2017GrandCanyon/2017GrandCanyon.htm
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross June 3rd 2017, 1:16 am

Mark Jones wrote:
Trip report of our High Adventure to the Grand Canyon!

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2017GrandCanyon/2017GrandCanyon.htm
Looks like you guys had a great time. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Speaking of such, I met a young man the other day that was in a horific 15 passenger van accident when he was 15 yrs old coming back from a BSA camp. He ended up losing his leg right above the knee and had 2nd degree chemical burns from laying in gasoline so long while the first responders tried to figure out how to free him from under the vehicle while not letting him bleed out once the pressure was released.

Hearing a story like that makes you think about how heavy of a responsibility it is every time we take boys into our care for a trip...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones June 3rd 2017, 7:30 am

In our state alone. Driver inattention is responsible for a 30% increase in accidents.

I take driving seriously. Others not so much. I have 38 years of no at fault driving accidents. I have tapped a mail box, tapped a fence and have been backed into a couple of times.

I often fill up the seat right behind the driver so no one can sit there and distract me while I am driving.

They blame 15 passenger vans. Yet the vans are safe. It's the drivers lack of attention to driving that is the problem. 15 young people screaming in the van at the same time..can get distracting.

I feel for the young man coming back from BSA. It's something two would have to live with for the rest of their lives. The driver and the young man. Take it seriously.

If God wasn't in it. I would most likely not be taking these folks anywhere. YET HE is in it and it's my calling to do so. Prayed up. Doing what I know to do that is right and God has the BIG part in it.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones June 3rd 2017, 7:38 am

We were talking of bring your own, cook your own, or go hungry. Referenced the virgins and the lamp oil parable.

We have a part in our responsibility in our service to God. Being happy go lucky on our own is not the way to go.

When I see some one going out on a adventure under prepared and happy go lucky. I just smile at them and tell them...it's YOUR Choice. You will have to live with YOUR decisions. Makes them think.

One of the best pastors I had in the past was talking about church vehicles. He said some of these church vehicles have balding tires, bad belts no service. NOT on my Watch. These vehicles will be READY!

I see some outposts arriving to Pow Wow in vans like I wouldn't want to drive across town in. I liken that to the lamp oil parable. WE KNOW BETTER. NO one to blame except ourselves.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross June 3rd 2017, 7:50 am

Definitely a cultural push that we have to fight against today too. The "We'll provide you with a safety net" mentality is so strong these days.

Saw a video on the facetubes yesterday where a high school student was threatening his teacher with physical violence and screaming at him because the teacher didn't round up his grade to a passing grade...

Makes the "READY" motto that much more important for us to be teaching.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2