RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 10:17 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by Claymore April 27th 2024, 2:02 am

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17114 messages in 1006 subjects

If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like?

+3
Claymore
ccm2361
Mark Jones
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like? - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like?

Post by Claymore December 4th 2023, 1:50 pm

(From "No Input from Springfield Headquarters")

joecool wrote:
Claymore wrote: “Ignore your troops, and they’ll go away.”

Post-Marsh, how many men would have stepped in to try and fix Royal Rangers? Not me. I'm not a glutton for punishment. I appreciate that someone did, but there was just so much to fix, it was likely overwhelming. No doubt, some of the fluff from that era was never going to be allowed to go away, due to the amount of financial investment in it. Yet, that has cost us a whole lot more, year after year. Why keep adding layers of paint when you haven't dealt with the underlying corrosion?

I think it's in the revitalized 9-year old thread, but someone said that we need to go back to what worked. Johnnie Barnes' creation was nothing short of anointed brilliance. Now we have waaaaaaaaay too many administrative layers, adult medals, training courses, books and more. KISS. Keep It Simple and Sensible.

My LMA courses and instructors were awesome and inspired me to 30 years of RR service. I'd love to do another decade. But the District's RR command structure is long gone. And it appears that pastors have moved on. How to get them back onboard?    

JoeCool's first line of this answer strikes close to the mark.

In Doug Marsh's address to the Royal Rangers Leaders, back in about 2008 (plus or minus a year or two), he indicated that he was receiving unwanted feedback involving the changes that he was implementing to the Program.  His words to those local Commanders and Senior Commanders were, "GET ON BOARD, OR GET OFF THE BUS".

And that, apparently, was his goal: to get the old leaders who saw problems with his "Gee-Whiz" changes - - much of it, because they knew what it took to run a ground-level outpost in AMERICA.  (Remember that Doug Marsh came from South America, and I do not know if he ever was a local commander, here in the U.S.).

Anyway, without trying to be overly critical, He successfully drove off much of the talent of the Level I Leaders in the Program.

A few years ago, I called a National Muzzleloading Instructor to set up certification training.  When I told him that it was for a Royal Ranger Outpost, he said, "Royal Rangers.  Oh yeah, I used to be a Royal Rangers Commander.  I could handle the changes under Mariott, but not this current fella (Doug Marsh).".

So what I am getting at is, if I personally heard this from two or three or four leaders, how many hundreds (or more) did they drive off?  And what's worse is, they didn't have a waiting supply of leaders to replace those that they drove off.

Now was this, alone, the factor that pushed Rangers over the cliff?  No, but it was one more unnecessary problem that could have been avoided, with a little bit of wisdom, foresight, and humility.......and listening to your front-line leaders.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like? - Page 2 Empty Re: If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like?

Post by joecool December 4th 2023, 2:21 pm

Claymore wrote: Now was this, alone, the factor that pushed Rangers over the cliff?  No, but it was one more unnecessary problem that could have been avoided, with a little bit of wisdom, foresight, and humility.......and listening to your front-line leaders.

The lack of listening to your front-line leaders has been endemic for decades. I think we've had 4 national commanders since the passing of Johnnie Barnes. Under one of the first two, Urban Rangers was started. It was a miserable failure. Why? Because big-city RR leaders resented having a "label" attached to them. They just wanted to be regular Rangers like the rest of us.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 4th 2023, 2:48 pm

Claymore wrote:
He successfully drove off much of the talent of the Level I Leaders in the Program.

A few years ago, I called a National Muzzleloading Instructor to set up certification training.  When I told him that it was for a Royal Ranger Outpost, he said, "Royal Rangers.  Oh yeah, I used to be a Royal Rangers Commander.  I could handle the changes under Mariott, but not this current fella (Doug Marsh).".

Just look at what was lost in this man, alone. He was worth THOUSANDS of dollars in training. You know that when he was a commander, he was teaching the boys for free (and it is very likely that he was certifying other commanders through Royal Rangers, for free).

Instead, now he is gone. If you want to get your boys through a course, it is $80.00 to $100.00 for each, and $400.00 to $700.00 to get the men certified as instructors.

Another example of "PENNY-WISE AND POUND-FOOLISH".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 4th 2023, 9:45 pm

Sadly, Doug Marsh did so much damage to Rangers. So many"Spirit led changes" of things that were a spirit lead change a year ago & failed miserably. None of it was spirit led, it was all profit led. Doug Marsh treated the men & women who volunteered thier time to Royal Rangers with contempt.

A lot of folks were initially blind to it. Those of us who weren't blind, were called "worldly commanders" & "against kids getting closer to God" & other things. We just needed to get on board or get off the bus.

Well.. Doug Marsh got his wish. a lot of Commanders got off the bus & Rangers is the worse for it.  

Back in 2010 there were at least 20 outposts in Michigan. Today there are 6.

THAT is the legacy of Doug Marsh.

And for his tremendous success in destroying Royal Rangers, he got promoted to Director of international ministries at the AG Rolling Eyes

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 4th 2023, 9:57 pm

ccm2361 wrote: Those of us who weren't blind, were called "worldly commanders" & "against kids getting closer to God" & other things.

Many of the loudest cheerleaders of Doug Marsh's "spirit led" vision for Rangers are still there at the highest levels of the program. They are just as guitly as Doug Marsh in my eyes. They did his bidding & suppressed any dissent. Yet, they know Doug Marsh was a disaster for Royal Rangers. But will they admit it?  
Most of them should be relieved of their positions for lack of discernment. Some of them did unethical things & 1 or 2 even did illegal things to suppress dissent.

It still kind of burns my biscuits, even after 10 years. If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like? - Page 2 3169784017

I should add for those that do not know. I did not get off the Rangers bus because of Doug Marsh. I am out because we were shut down by our pastor.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 4th 2023, 11:24 pm

ccm2361 wrote: I should add for those that do not know. I did not get off the Rangers bus because of Doug Marsh. I am out because we were shut down by our pastor.

I grit my teeth for years during that era. And like you, it was my children's pastor that shut down RR at my church. "Breaking in the New Guy" was ultimately unsuccessful.

So now, you and me and a whole lot of guys are out. I sense that you would jump back in if the opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, why would you still be on Ranger Chat? There are a lot of us scattered throughout the heartland. I probably wouldn't do it, because it would resemble what went on during the COVID shutdown, but what if some of us teamed up and skyped our meetings? A commander in Michigan would teach an Automotive merit to boys in multiple states, along with a commander in Mississippi teaching Aviation, and a commander in Montana showing boys how to survive in the winter.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 5th 2023, 12:17 am

ccm2361 wrote:
ccm2361 wrote: Those of us who weren't blind, were called "worldly commanders" & "against kids getting closer to God" & other things.

Many of the loudest cheerleaders of Doug Marsh's "spirit led" vision for Rangers are still there at the highest levels of the program. They are just as guitly as Doug Marsh in my eyes. They did his bidding & suppressed any dissent. Yet, they know Doug Marsh was a disaster for Royal Rangers. But will they admit it?  
Most of them should be relieved of their positions for lack of discernment. Some of them did unethical things & 1 or 2 even did illegal things to suppress dissent.

It still kind of burns my biscuits, even after 10 years. If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like? - Page 2 3169784017

I should add for those that do not know. I did not get off the Rangers bus because of Doug Marsh. I am out because we were shut down by our pastor.

Chris,

First of all, I did not know that your pastor shut down the Program. You had mentioned how attendance was dwindling, and I had assumed that with lack of attendance and the increasing demands of your job, that the program just shriveled up.

Second thanks, you make me feel better about myself. I had thought that I may have been a bit rough in my criticism, but when I saw Chris (who doesn't have a mean bone in his body) be just as critical, it kind-of gave me a warm-fuzzy feeling about myself.

It is very interesting to note that, if the folks running the original Royal Rangers Forum had been a bit more honest and open-minded, you & Dan might not have seen the need for developing Ranger Chat. Now we may not be quite as big and healthy as we once were, but at least, we haven't been Dead for twelve years, like the other one.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

ccm2361 and RRCmdrBennett like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 5th 2023, 12:27 am

ccm2361 wrote:

A lot of folks were initially blind to it. Those of us who weren't blind, were called "worldly commanders" & "against kids getting closer to God" & other things. We just needed to get on board or get off the bus.

"TOUCH NOT, GOD'S ANNOINTED"

EVERY time that I have heard those words (or words to that effect) it was someone who was attempting to turn a church into a cult.

(And at my age, I HAVE heard it, at least three times.  And every time, the above philosophy proved to be true: So much that when State Headquarters warned a previous pastor here to cool it down, a bit, I heard that pastor declare, in front of the congregation that it, "....is Satan at work.  I don't care if it is here in this church, or at State Headquarters....".)

How 'bout that?  Cult mentality AND arrogance.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

ccm2361 and RRCmdrBennett like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 5th 2023, 8:00 pm

joecool wrote: I sense that you would jump back in if the opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, why would you still be on Ranger Chat?

I would get back in for sure. There is an outpost 20 minutes away. But to join them would be missing Wednesday night service at my own church. Being a Deacon at my church, going to another church every Wednesday night might not look the best.

As for why do I stick around here? I am the Administrator. I have to stick around or no one is runing the show. Smile

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 5th 2023, 8:22 pm

Claymore wrote:[
Chris,

First of all, I did not know that your pastor shut down the Program.  You had mentioned how attendance was dwindling, and I had assumed that with lack of attendance and the increasing demands of your job, that the program just shriveled up.

Second thanks, you make me feel better about myself.  I had thought that I may have been a bit rough in my criticism, but when I saw Chris (who doesn't have a mean bone in his body) be just as critical, it kind-of gave me a warm-fuzzy feeling about myself.

It is very interesting to note that, if the folks running the original Royal Rangers Forum had been a bit more honest and open-minded, you & Dan might not have seen the need for developing Ranger Chat.  Now we may not be quite as big and healthy as we once were, but at least, we haven't been Dead for twelve years, like the other one.

we got shutdown because we got down to just me & my 2 kids.

I am actually quite low in mercy. Laughing

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 5th 2023, 8:33 pm

ccm2361 wrote:
joecool wrote: I sense that you would jump back in if the opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, why would you still be on Ranger Chat?

I would get back in for sure. There is an outpost 20 minutes away. But to join them would be missing Wednesday night service at my own church. Being a Deacon at my church, going to another church every Wednesday night might not look the best.

As for why do I stick around here? I am the Administrator. I have to stick around or no one is runing the show. Smile

In my original outpost in the Potomac district in Baltimore we had a deacon from a neighboring A/G church do Wednesday nights with us but attend his own church on Sundays.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 6th 2023, 1:57 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote:
ccm2361 wrote:

As for why do I stick around here? I am the Administrator. I have to stick around or no one is running the show. Smile

In my original outpost in the Potomac district in Baltimore we had a deacon from a neighboring A/G church do Wednesday nights with us but attend his own church on Sundays.

CHRIS,

I am going to have to agree with Dan, again (Lord, take me now...).

Look, if you have a heart for the Lord and for boys and for working with Rangers, then you are wasting the talents that God has given you, unless you have a REALLY good excuse (and I do not consider avoiding disappointing the Pastor as being such).

You ran an outpost for years. You understand the Program, and you know when to go along with the current from Springfield and when to swim cross-current. No amount of money can take the place of the knowledge that you have gained.

When you are standing before the Lord, and he asks what you did with that time and very special talent and experience that he gave to you, and how many boys you helped with it, do you want to say, "Well, none after 2019, but I kept my pastor happy..."?.

A GOOD pastor should understand that if you have a calling for a mission field, especially with young people, that he should be prepared to make accommodations for it. Let him know that you'll be more than happy to keep your talent "at home" if the church comes up with the kids.

It should be like if you had a talent for helping people through Teen Challenge or Celebrate Recovery. Are you going to deny them your help, just because they are across Town, and not walking into your church?

Maybe that will put a flame under your pastor to get more families with kids. Would it work out to take other kids from your church to the place with R/R meetings (this might draw more families with kids to your church and increase Wednesdays and Sundays).

Here at our church, a man who was the captain of the Greeting Team and was the lead male singer in our Worship Team left our church, about 3 weeks ago, because our church didn't have a Youth Group for his girls. I don't hold it against him. Those girls are the center of his universe, and he wants them to enjoy going to church, so he went to a place that has a great Youth Group.

If you are putting in extra time and work to help kids, whether at home or across Town, it is a good thing. The pastor may have been given authority, but that authority is only as much as the congregation gives to him. And do you know what I call someone whose wages are paid out of my pocket? An employee.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

RRCmdrBennett likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 7th 2023, 6:12 pm

Claymore wrote:

lol!

Claymore wrote: Look, if you have a heart for the Lord and for boys and for working with Rangers, then you are wasting the talents that God has given you, unless you have a REALLY good excuse (and I do not consider avoiding disappointing the Pastor as being such).

Fair point. I will give it some prayer

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Claymore and joecool like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 10th 2023, 11:09 am

Claymore wrote:
RRCmdrBennett wrote:
ccm2361 wrote:

As for why do I stick around here? I am the Administrator. I have to stick around or no one is running the show. Smile

CHRIS,

Look, if you have a heart for the Lord and for boys and for working with Rangers, then you are wasting the talents that God has given you, unless you have a REALLY good excuse (and I do not consider avoiding disappointing the Pastor as being such).

You ran an outpost for years.  You understand the Program, and you know when to go along with the current from Springfield and when to swim cross-current.  No amount of money can take the place of the knowledge that you have gained.

When you are standing before the Lord, and he asks what you did with that time and very special talent and experience that he gave to you, and how many boys you helped with it, do you want to say, "Well, none after 2019, but I kept my pastor happy..."?.

A GOOD pastor should understand that if you have a calling for a mission field, especially with young people, that he should be prepared to make accommodations for it.  Let him know that you'll be more than happy to keep your talent "at home" if the church comes up with the kids.  

It should be like if you had a talent for helping people through Teen Challenge or Celebrate Recovery.  Are you going to deny them your help, just because they are across Town, and not walking into your church?

Maybe that will put a flame under your pastor to get more families with kids.  Would it work out to take other kids from your church to the place with R/R meetings (this might draw more families with kids to your church and increase Wednesdays and Sundays).  

Here at our church, a man who was the captain of the Greeting Team and was the lead male singer in our Worship Team left our church, about 3 weeks ago, because our church didn't have a Youth Group for his girls.  I don't hold it against him.  Those girls are the center of his universe, and he wants them to enjoy going to church, so he went to a place that has a great Youth Group.

If you are putting in extra time and work to help kids, whether at home or across Town, it is a good thing.  The pastor may have been given authority, but that authority is only as much as the congregation gives to him.  And do you know what I call someone whose wages are paid out of my pocket?  An employee.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day Laughing I will mark this day on my calendar!

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 December 14th 2023, 6:45 pm

Claymore wrote:

I have thought about it. I miss Rangers but I am learning a lot on Wednesday nights. I am going to leave it up to the Lord. I asked for 2 signs. If I see them, then I will know that  
RR is where He wants me.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 14th 2023, 8:17 pm

ccm2361 wrote: I asked for 2 signs. If I see them, then I will know that  
RR is where He wants me.

Well, HERE's ONE sign for you:   If you could have a outpost your way what would you want it to look like? - Page 2 1846539203

Now, He only has to provide One more...............

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2