RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool May 8th 2024, 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 5 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool April 5th 2020, 8:25 pm

April 6

In the Deck world, the first department head that I worked for was a stereotypical mustang First Lieutenant. But although very rough around the edges, he knew his stuff and was professionally respected. As he was preparing to leave the Navy, he admitted that he really didn't have a plan beyond his retirement party.

On his last day onboard, a couple of Boatswain's Mates served as ceremonial side boys and he was "piped" over the side. He gave us a little wave from the pier and that was the last we saw of him. But we heard about him a year later, and it was unfortunate. Without a plan, he ended up taking a job as a night watchman, which is okay. But he ended up drinking himself to death.

Our lives were never meant to be pointless and causing us to aimlessly drift. If you find that you have no direction, seek the Lord's help. "God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect." (Hebrews 11:40)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 7th 2020, 9:25 am

April 7

In their never-ending quest for votes and power, politicians say (and do) the darnedest things. That was true in 1974, when I enlisted, and is still true today. For example, they like to accuse each other of "spending like a drunken sailor." It has always been offensive to me, regardless of which political party was using it.

You would think that elected officials would know better than to offend their constituents. Oh, and by the way, we're better than politicians by a long shot. At least drunken sailors stop when they run out of money. Politicians never do. They just keep printing it.

Whatever finances you have control over, it can always go farther when you live within your means. And you'll always be satisfied with what you have. "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income." (Ecclesiastes 5:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 7th 2020, 7:10 pm

April 8

During my entire naval career, someone had been with me every step of the way, first as a girlfriend and then as my wife. As it was coming to a close, she made plans for plans for a unique retirement party. Renting a hall, she filled it with friends and family and we had a great time. But she added a special treat.

For years, we had been going to an entertainment venue which offered improvisational comedy. Towards the end of the party, a couple of their actors walked up to me, and I must say I was definitely surprised. They quietly quizzed me on my Navy time and then huddled up. What followed was a parody of sea-going experiences and my personal quirks. I was laughing harder than anyone else.

This is for all the wives out there, but especially the military ones. "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies...Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." (Proverbs 31:10,29)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 9th 2020, 11:50 am

April 9

It looked easier on TV. Sleek speedboats with powerful outboard motors, pulling graceful athletes along the surface of the water. Skiers leaning into turns and using the elasticity of the tow rope to gain more speed. Well, that's the way it was supposed to be. But there I was, floating stationary in the water 95% of the time. Every once in a while, the boat made some forward progress, but never enough to get me up on plane.

Instead, I endured being towed through the water, never quite getting up on my skis. The owner of the boat kept tinkering with the motor's carburetor, trying to feed it the right amount of fuel. After the umpteenth attempt at skiing, I let go of the rope and gave up. I'd swallowed enough river water, looking like an under-powered hydroplane boat going backwards.

Without power, our attempts were doomed to failure, never gaining enough speed for the water to support me. In contrast, "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word." (Hebrews 1:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 10th 2020, 10:40 am

April 10

Not all ships are fortunate enough to have a permanently assigned chaplain. Sometimes it depends on the size of the crew, and sometimes it's the availability of enough chaplains to go around. But they're out there in as many places as possible to serve our service members. Throughout the military, the number of chaplains of any particular denomination depends on how many people are officially members of that denomination. Please keep that in mind.

And in recognition of the value and importance of Sunday services, there's a time-honored tradition. If a chaplain is leading a divine service on a ship, the church flag is hoisted. Not on a separate flagstaff or halyard, but right above the US flag. It's the only time another flag is flown higher than the American one.

In a world that is drifting farther away from God and His truth, it's good to see honor where honor is due. And even though David at times drifted, he knew deep down where he needed to be, praising the (future) son of man. "You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor." (Psalm 8:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 11th 2020, 9:55 am

April 11

Desert Storm was over, mercifully quick with a small number of Allied casualties. Pier-side in Saudi Arabia, a few miles south of Kuwait, we were re-embarking our Marines and their equipment. One of their officers handed me an Iraqi gas mask, asking if I wanted to have it. I silently thanked the Lord that we never had to use ours.

It reminded me of my great-uncle Anthony, who served as a doughboy in the trenches of France during WWI. One day, he had been running messages between the front lines and headquarters. His captain called for him to run yet another message. Although tired, he obeyed and left again. On his return, he found his unit wiped out. He himself succumbed to the effects of the lingering, unseen gas, but the medics were arriving and carried him out in time. He was sent home and lived a long life, although he always had respiratory problems.

War is sometimes glamourized in the popular culture, but those in it know better. Because we are fallen, wars will never go away, at least not until the end, when Jesus reigns supreme. "He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples....Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 12th 2020, 10:05 am

April 12

Being a youth member of the US Naval Sea Cadets, we always looked for opportunities to raise money for our local division. One was a little unique, and I'm not sure who had the connection to make it happen. Each summer, an equestrian organization put on a weekend horse show. And one of the events was an all-day horse jumping competition that we got up close and personal to.

We cadets were divided into teams and strategically placed around the arena. If riders and their horses knocked down a rail while jumping, we would reset it for the next contestant. And several times a day, we would completely rearrange all the jumps. It was fascinating to watch the teamwork between riders and their horses, and we quietly rooted for our favorites.

It's hard to imagine not being around horses, having first domesticated them nearly 6000 years ago. But even when we completely relied on them to make our lives easier, the Lord reminded us that other things were more important. "His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse...the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love." (Psalm 147:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 12th 2020, 9:49 pm

April 13

It was the mid-70's and our ship had just dropped anchor off the city of Sousse, Tunisia. On the north coast of Africa, it was a rare opportunity to see this region up close. Tours were available, but I generally avoided them, preferring to walk around on my own. Moving inland from the beach area, I was now surrounded by locals going about their daily business.

The souk, or open marketplace, was a panoply of bright colors and aromas. I paused at almost every shop to see what was offered, sometimes buying an item. Turning the corner of one block, I almost ran into a young woman sitting on the ground. She wore dirty clothes and held a baby in her lap. She was looking down and held her hand out. I paused, but noticed a man shaking his finger at me. Not sure of the culture, I decided not to offend him and moved on.

But it did shake me. For the first time, I had encountered a beggar on the street. Nearly half a century later, you see them all over the place in our own country. What would Jesus do? I think we all know the answer. He would take compassion, and also meet the deeper need behind that is usually invisible to us.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 13th 2020, 5:06 pm

April 14

While on my first deployment overseas, I was in the ship's library looking for a book to read. I passed by all the contemporary fiction and reached for a classic novel, Don Quixote. Written over 400 years ago, it tells the story of a comical and somewhat off-his-rocker man who goes through a series of misadventures. Reading the fine print took months, but I was determined to finish it.

In the last chapter, Don Quixote recovered his sanity and looked back over his years of wandering the countryside, which included fighting windmills and other imaginary foes. The writer went on and on, writing of the Don's disappointment at having wasted all those years. As I slogged through the final pages, I felt more and more like Quixote himself, having wasted all this time reading the book itself.

Decades later, I no longer feel as if I wasted my time. There are lessons to be learned from just about any book. But without doubt, the Bible is the best one, able to give knowledge and wisdom from the first reading. "...for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you." (Hosea 10:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 13th 2020, 5:30 pm

April 15

My ship was at the Bremerton Naval Shipyard for a very long overhaul period. The city had recently decided to honor some sailors for their accomplishments, and I got the privilege of being named an Honorary Judge for a day. I was really, really looking forward to a little time in the courtroom. Seeing the American justice system at work would definitely be an honor.

On the appointed day, I knocked at his office door. After some routine pleasantries, he told me to follow him. Expecting to see the courtroom's inner sanctum, he actually took me outside...to his convertible. And so, on a rare blue skies day, we took an hours-long drive through the beautiful countryside. It took the edge off a disappointing day.

So, I wasn't actually a judge for a day, just a tourist. Looking back, it's kind of a symbolic reminder for me to not actually BE a judge. That requires much wisdom and is God's responsibility. "He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice." (Psalm 9:8 )
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 13th 2020, 5:43 pm

April 16

On my first ship, a new senior chief petty officer reported aboard. He was an electronics technician and it didn't take us long to find out that he had served in the White House with the communications team. Our clue? He wore a special badge from that tour of duty, even on his daily work khakis. Although he tended to carry his nose a little high, he was actually a decent guy. Almost made me feel bad for what I did.

One day, he was standing in a group of other chief petty officers, sharing a White House story. And like CPOs are fond of doing, he was holding out a coffee cup in front of him. As I was nearing the group, I could see that his cup was empty. Without even thinking about it, I reached into my pocket for a quarter and dropped it into the cup. He glared at me as the rest of the chiefs burst out laughing.

Fortunately, I never had to pay for that prank. But the experience may have had something to do with my trying not to let anything swell my head. I certainly didn't want anyone to bring me down a notch, like King Nebuchadnezzar experienced. "And those who walk in pride he is able to humble." (Daniel 4:37)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 14th 2020, 10:09 pm

April 17

I always make it a point to scout out the locations of future events and try out the planned activities, just in case. For example, I was arranging a high school retreat in a mountainous area, and a map and compass exercise was on the planned schedule. I hiked over to the spot and took magnetic bearings to a number of points, and then plotted them on a local contour map. The resulting "fix" was pretty accurate, good enough to use.

On the actual date of this event, we woke up to a heavy May snowstorm. Visibility was down to less than 100 yards, threatening the compass activity. I set up some tables in the heated building and then walked the students through the procedure. By using bearings that I had previously obtained, they were able to work through the hand's-on exercise and saw how it worked. They still enjoyed the training, and gained some experience in using a map and compass.

There will be many times in your life when the way to go may be obscured. But if you have trust in the Lord, the way to go will become clear. He will show the way. "...God, who went ahead of you on your journey...to search out places for you to camp and to show you the way you should go." (Deuteronomy 1:33)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 15th 2020, 8:48 am

April 18

I drove my boys' principal to a spelling bee one night, and as we got out of the car, he asked to hold my arm. And that was the first time I realized he was legally blind. Over the course of that year we became close friends and he shared his life story. A Vietnam vet, he had received a medical discharge because of his worsening eyesight. He eventually found his calling as a teacher, principal and ordained minister, pastoring two churches.

He never considered himself handicapped, trusting in the Lord to give him strength and to develop his talents. I listened carefully and watched closely. After my military career, I followed him as a teacher, principal, and lay ministry leader. I learned a lot from his personal example of strong faith and service.

Similarly, Paul became Timothy's mentor, preparing him for a life of service that was pleasing to God. We should all look for a wise person to learn from. "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." (1 Timothy 4:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 15th 2020, 8:31 pm

April 19

Months ahead of time, I was notified of my selection for the LDO program. After a few hours of thinking nothing but that, it occurred to me that I would be leaving my division of quartermasters earlier than scheduled. I had always believed in the importance of training and we spent much time on it. Even my junior petty officers were already getting proficient with celestial navigation, but it was time to step it up.

for the rest of my time onboard, I gave my petty officers some experience on the navigation plot during sea and anchor detail. Fixing the ship's positions in restricted waters and giving recommendations every couple minutes is pretty intense. But they all appreciated the rare opportunity and did well. And in the years afterwards, I heard that a couple of them had later become leading quartermasters on other ships, prepared to do their duty.

When it comes to God's plan for our lives, He will ensure that we are ready when the time comes. Step by step, we will grow in maturity and wisdom to help others. "...to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up." (Ephesians 4:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 15th 2020, 8:47 pm

April 20

When LDO Indoctrination School was over, my wife and I packed everything up and prepared to check out of our extended stay hotel. Our residence was a few days short of one month, so the clerk handed me a bill that covered 3 individual weeks and 3 days. The dollar amount was sky-high and I attempted to negotiate with the clerk, who refused to let me pay the much lower monthly rate.

"Okay," I said, "I'm going to pay in advance for a full month's stay right now. You and I both know that I'm going to drive away in a couple of minutes. After 4 more days, I'll mail the key back to you. But you won't be able to rent the room during that time." He considered my statement and then changed the bill.

When I stood there in frustration, the Lord gave me the best thing to say in order to avoid a financial trap. It reminded me of how Jesus came up with the perfect response to the Pharisee's planned entrapment. "Then he said to them, 'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's. When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away." (Matthew 22:21-22)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 21st 2020, 8:35 am

April 21

As the morning progressed, I asked where one of my BM2s was. After a delay, I was reluctantly told that he was still in his bunk, sleeping off a night in town. It was time, I decided. "Get him up and take him down to sick bay. Ask the doc for a 'fitness for duty' evaluation." This particular BM2 was incredibly gifted at what he did, but he had a long-standing problem with alcohol abuse.

He ended up going through a one month-long rehab program. When he returned, he confessed to me that he had hated me at the time and would have decked me given the opportunity. But now he was happy that he was sober, and continued that way for a long time. After going to my next duty station, a former shipmate told me that the BM2 had relapsed and continually got into trouble, eventually being separated from the Navy.

There are many things in this world, that if over-indulged in, can take control of us and ruin our future. How much better to invite Him who only has our best interests at heart? "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 22nd 2020, 9:16 am

April 22

The northern Atlantic in November is not for the faint of heart. But in order to get a new start in a land of opportunity, countless immigrants braved the elements. In 1881, Jacob Czupala and his family left their native Poland, eager to get out from under the thumb of the Kaiser. Vowing that his boys would never be conscripted into the German army, Jacob left his cobbler shop behind and took his family to the port of Hamburg. Registering with the police under an assumed name, they then gained passage on a ship.

After more than a week at sea, buffeted by a storm, they saw New York City in the distance. The Statue of Liberty was still years away from welcoming the teeming masses, but they were still excited. After getting processed at Grande Island, they picked up their few belongings and entered America. And it wasn't long before their surname was changed to reflect a new beginning.

I never would have experienced any of my 10 overseas cruises had it not been for my great-great-grandfather's first. He had heard of America's promise and gave his family freedom. Moses also heard a promise, this one from God, and acted upon it. "So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey..." (Exodus 3:Cool
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 22nd 2020, 4:19 pm

April 23

We were in central Washington and my father suggested that my wife and I borrow his canoe for a ride. We took it down to a nearby series of connected lakes and were enjoying an afternoon of exploration. The water was cold and exceptionally clear, allowing us to see the bottom. Well, sometimes. In some locations there was dense, tangled vegetation flowing below us. And then it happened.

My wife's watch, a present from her father, came loose and slipped off her wrist. We both watched as it sank through the water, reflecting sunlight all the way down, until it disappeared into the vegetation. She turned to me with a pained expression and said, "Go down there and get it!" I hesitated, hemmed and hawed until she accepted the loss.

It's always sad to lose a treasured item. You want to go to any length to recover it, but sometimes it's just impossible. But not always, as a certain woodsman found out. "As one of them was cutting down a tree, the iron axe head fell into the water. 'Oh, my lord,' he cried out, 'it was borrowed!'...he made the iron float." (2 Kings 6:5-6)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 24th 2020, 10:38 am

April 24

My family had turned in for the night while on a campout in the hills. We had a lot of fun during the day, hiking and seeing a lot of wildlife. We were tired and looking forward to well-earned sleep. But then they came. At first, we could only hear the occasional rustle of feet just outside. But minutes later, it seemed we were surrounded by the sound.

I carefully unzipped a tent window and my wife came over with a flashlight. Aiming it around, we discovered a score of glowing eyes in the darkness, slowly circling our tent. It was a veritable herd of raccoons, smelling food in our tent and looking for a way to get in. "I hope they don't blow a trumpet," my wife said. The boys laughed and we all went to bed. But just in case, I stayed awake until the raccoons left.

Walls are constructed to protect us from the many physical hazards that are out there. But just as Jericho's did, walls eventually fall, not being indestructible. How much better to surround ourselves with His glory? "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles..." (Hebrews 12:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 25th 2020, 4:39 pm

April 25

In back-to-back years, my family set up a tent at an armed forces campground in northern Arizona. Unlike the rest of the state, it was relatively cool due to the higher altitude. And with a lower population density, the night skies were much darker. That must be why a significant observatory with a world-class telescope had been built just outside the town of Flagstaff. Hearing that it was open for visitors, we drove up to it one evening.

As we parked, we saw a sign indicating that it had just closed within minutes of our arrival. But the exiting astronomer saw us standing there and reopened it for us. Without any line of tourists cutting into individual viewing time, the man generously gave us as much time as we wanted. His love for this science showed as he took us on a guided tour from one celestial object to another.

Years later, I ended up teaching astronomy to high school students. By then, I had discovered the incredible design of the universe and how it pointed to the Creator. Truly, "The heavens declare the glory of God." (Psalm 19:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 26th 2020, 10:32 am

April 26

It was flu season, but no one really worried about it back then. Perhaps ignorance was bliss, but rare was the sailor who actually came down with it. So it was a surprise one morning when we all found ourselves in line to get a flu shot. We were told that it was designed to give us immunity. It took the better part of the morning to get us all inoculated, as well as a sore shoulder. We turned to completing the necessary tasks needed to ensure we would be ready to get underway the next day.

But fully a third of us were sick enough to be confined to quarters by morning. The shot's weakened virus was still strong enough to lay us out. We still got underway with an undermanned crew and the captain delayed a few drills until the next day.

Not until becoming a senior citizen have I felt the need to overcome my aversion to a flu shot. But sometimes, a little pain now is better than a lot of pain later. The advances of medicine did not happen randomly or without design. Use everything that the Lord has given and "You will not fear...the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday." (Psalm 91:5-6)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 27th 2020, 10:05 am

April 27

Returning from a trip up north, I had hours to go before reaching home, and the sun was going down. The lightly-travelled highway I was on was known for its abundant wildlife. There was no point in posting warning signs, because the whole length was a deer magnet. I increased my speed, hoping to get through the worst of it before darkness fell completely. A moment before impact, I moved over as quickly as I dared, but felt the bump as my tire ran over it.

No, it wasn't a deer. I walked back and examined the road kill and then went to check my tire. A multitude of porcupine quills were sticking out of the tire sidewall. I didn't dare pull any out, believing that the tire might go instantly flat. I made it home that night and removed the quills after parking. The points were incredibly sharp. The next morning, I found that the tire still held air.

The quills of a porcupine protect it from predators, who recognize the danger that they present. A 2-ton truck also provides a lot of protection, but even it is at risk to be stopped. The world is inundated with trillions of words every day, many of them dangerous and deceiving. We need help in discerning what to avoid. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit...it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 28th 2020, 9:29 am

April 28

My wife and I spontaneously decided to camp where three tributaries merged to form the Missouri River. It didn't take long to pack up the car and we drove an hour to the location. We set up next to the water's edge, hoping to see wildlife later that evening. In the meantime, we drove to the next town to visit my brother-in-law.

After dinner, we returned to our campsite. Once parked, we became aware of huge swarms of mosquitos. After a few minutes of trying to fight them off, using the latest chemical technology, we gave up. Camp was quickly broken down, equipment thrown into the car, and we fled down the road. After catching our breath, we talked about how 21st century humans couldn't beat these little insects.

Modern technology doesn't always win, but it certainly helps at times. But go further into the past, and you recognize that there wasn't much available for people to use against their problems. They relied more upon the Lord for their daily needs, and we should do the same. "...we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us." (Hebrews 6:18)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 28th 2020, 10:21 pm

April 29

Our younger son and his wife had moved to Anchorage, and I was chomping at the bits to see them and Alaska. The Last Frontier, I had always admired the state and those that lived there. Including the wildlife. Yes, I'd seen moose in zoos, but that was no comparison to seeing them in their wild habitat. We had barely put our luggage in the guest room when my son told me to come back outside.

Within a hundred feet of the apartment stood a moose and her calf. They nonchalantly walked through the tall grass, occasionally stopping to graze. Although I was pleased to see them on the first day, it was less of a special moment due to the civilization all around us. Out loud, I said it would have been better out in the wild. "Walk up to them and find out how wild they are, Dad."

Whether man or moose, we both owe our existence to our heavenly Creator. I'm so thankful that I can recognize it and thank Him. "Your righteousness is like the great mountains; Your judgments are a great deep; O Lord, You preserve man and beast." (Psalm 36:6)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 28th 2020, 10:47 pm

April 30

As a special treat, my father paid for me to go on a salmon-fishing charter out of Westport, Washington. I had a sleepless night and was down at the docks early the next morning. After the boat's skipper gave us a safety briefing, we went on our way out the harbor. It wasn't long until we reached the fishing grounds and dropped our lines.

My rod was the first to dip, and it was "Fish on!" It was pulling so hard, I had to increase the drag in order to retrieve some line onto the reel. My fight caught everyone's attention, as they wanted to see how big the fish was. Eventually, we could see color under the waves, and it was huge. A net was readied as I continued to reel in the catch. Everyone held their breath as the catch broke the water...and made a big "Squawk!" Still holding the bait, the cormorant, a large diving seabird, flapped its wings wildly.

David once compared himself to a bird, noting the many close calls he and his men had. We would do well to have the same trust in God that he demonstrated. "Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped." (Psalm 124:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next