RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fighting Fire With Fire
by joecool Today at 9:58 am

» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool May 18th 2024, 8:26 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17131 messages in 1007 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 3 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool February 17th 2020, 12:58 am

February 17

When I was a boy, I'm told that we went on lots of camping trips, but I can only remember a couple of them. One was at a state park in central Idaho, and we hiked to a lookout tower nearby. A ranger was on duty and invited our family up to the top. To a young boy, it was fascinating, but just a warm-up.

The ranger got permission from our parents for us to stay the night up there, so my brother and I ran back to camp for our things and ran right back to the tower. As it began to get dark, the ranger took us snipe hunting. Those being initiated are given large sacks and told to hold them low to the ground as snipes are low-flyers. My brother and I "hunted" for about an hour, while the ranger skipped pinecones along the ground to keep us interested.

I don't remember having any hard feelings, though. It was good-natured fun. But the apostle Peter knew the hazards of inventing stories, knowing that the truth of what he had seen was sufficient. "We did not follow cleverly invented stories...but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty." (2 Peter 1:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 17th 2020, 11:00 pm

February 18

Sitting around in the Chief's lounge, talk turned to peoples' post-Navy plans. We worked to get Walt into the conversation, since he only had 4 months until retirement. He had never married and always lived onboard ship or on a base. "Well, I really want to buy a truck and go fishing every day. How much does a truck cost?" We launched into a debate on what kind of truck he should buy, and what he should pay for it.

Walt left to go to the berthing compartment, opened his locker and pulled out a narrow drawer. Returning to us, he put the drawer on the table and asked, "Is this enough to buy a truck?" All talk stopped as we stared at hundreds of un-cashed payroll checks. Someone broke the silence and said, "Yeah, Walt. That's enough."

Walt's needs were few during his life, so money was always set aside and nearly forgotten. And he was one of the happiest guys I ever knew. "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves money is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." (Ecclesiastes 5:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 19th 2020, 12:38 am

February 19

My ship was open to the public and I was one of the designated tour guides. I enjoyed taking a number of groups around that day, and was finishing up on the bridge with the last group.

I may have popped a glamorous bubble when one visitor asked if the captain really goes down with the ship. My response was, "No, but he is 100% accountable for everything that happens 24 hours a day. Another person, who I later found out was an Army colonel, said, "That's correct, except for one thing. When the ship crosses the opening of a dry dock, the captain turns over legal accountability to the pilot." He was right. Throughout my career, I entered a dry dock several times. And we were always careful to make an official entry in the log book at that moment.

At the moment when our lives are given a final examination, we could have been held accountable for our sin. For the wages of sin is death. But Jesus' sacrifice on the cross made a way for an eternity in His presence.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 20th 2020, 2:24 pm

February 20

I was once tasked with arranging the ship's Christmas banquet. A hotel venue was lined up, along with a feast, a band, and even licensed babysitters to watch over the kids. And for an extra treat, I brought in a magician.

I was there early getting things ready, and so was the magician. He asked if I would be his assistant, which sounded like fun. In preparation for his tricks, I handed over my wallet and allowed him to make a few modifications to my uniform.

When it was show time, he pulled me out of the crowd. After a few warm-up tricks, he produced my wallet, and then pulled off my tie and shirt. The audience loved it, but I was left feeling like the magic was gone. I regretted having an inside look at how magicians perform some of their tricks.

In the 8th chapter of Acts, a magician named Simon saw miracles performed in the name of Jesus, and became a believer. In time, however, he began to believe that he could increase his own fame through buying the ability to perform miracles. Lord, help us to avoid thinking that it's all about us.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 20th 2020, 10:18 pm

February 21

Winters in Seattle tend to be gloomy, wet and cold. But every once in awhile, snow falls in a big way and everything changes. My best friend and I once built a ski jump out of packed snow on a hillside city road that no car could navigate. We each held on to the same huge piece of cardboard, ran and plopped down, sliding until we hit the ramp. For a few seconds, it was like a magic carpet ride.

Another time, we pooled our money and bought a pair of wooden skis, which we sanded and painted. We took them to a park with decent hills and took turns. But impatience took over and we went at the same time with a single ski. With practice, we became fairly adept at maintaining our balance.

Since it was close to 50 years ago, I always wondered if we were the first to snowboard. Being first at something is a priority for most people, but someone beat us all to the most important thing. "We love because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 22nd 2020, 11:13 am

February 22

It started off as a November weekend in the desert with my brother, rekindling memories of rock-hounding. He brought his dog along, who explored the surroundings, but returned each time he heard a whistle. Until he didn't.

We spent hours looking for him, suspending the search as the sun set and we drove our wives back to the motel. And we searched some more, spending an uncomfortable night in the truck. Once, he wandered into our headlight beams, but took off again. We woke up the next morning with ice on the inside of the glass and searched some more. Hours later, my wife and I had to return home. And hours later, my brother called to say he found the happy dog, covered in small cactus needles.

My brother loved that dog and wasn't going to give up on him. How much more so is the Lord's love for us? "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." (Luke 19:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 23rd 2020, 9:18 am

February 23

It was a typical late-summer dry thunderstorm. Nothing out of the ordinary, that is, until I heard the sirens. I went outside and walked over to an area where I could get a better view. There was a small column of smoke, deep in the forest of Ponderosa pines. And it grew and grew.

Within a couple of hours, my little subdivision was under a standby order to evacuate. I grabbed all the important things and put them into a fifth wheel trailer and then hitched it to my truck. The approaching danger motivated me to work fast.

Because access up the steep hills was tough, the fire had quickly burned through hundreds of acres and additional help was requested. In awe, I watched as a modified passenger airliner made extremely low passes over the forest, dropping fire retardant chemicals to establish fire boundaries. Then came helicopters with water buckets to get the hot spots. Firefighters remained close by for days to keep an eye on things until the danger passed.

A brother of James encouraged fellow Christians to help those who were in danger due to their unbelief. "Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them..." (Jude 23) Just like the firefighters, we can do no less.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 24th 2020, 12:14 am

February 24

My older son was training a new dog, Remi, to retrieve ducks. I went with them on one early hunt on a very cold morning, setting everything up in the dark. Once dawn approached, we could see small groups of ducks swimming out of range. Remi was whining in anticipation.

It wasn't long until my son took a couple of shots at flying ducks. One splashed into the lake and Remi took off into the shallow water. He was partly swimming and partly bounding when he became confused by all the decoys. He was going in circles when my son got out of the boat to get him going in the right direction. Remi soon focused on the real duck and retrieved it.

Throughout history, people have been fooled by the things of this world, chasing after things that last but a short time. Our Savior came to point us to the truth and salvation. "Now this is eternal life; that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent." (John 17:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 24th 2020, 10:07 pm

February 25

After he moved to Montana, my brother spent a lot of time researching the area he was in. Turned out there had been a fair amount of gold mining in the past. He took me to an area that he had scouted out. A stream flowed well below the roadway, and there was exposed bedrock on the far side.

Using a steel bar and other tools, I worked my way further and further into the cracks. Hours later we had screened, sluiced and panned our way through the paydirt. We had a few flakes of what we thought were gold, but we later found out they weren't.

It sure made me appreciate the original prospectors. On top of all their hard work, they didn't have a comfortable truck or a warm house to return to. A tough and hardy breed for sure. Gold has been a precious commodity for thousands of years, for those few who were lucky enough to find it. But living an honorable life is something that we can all achieve.

"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 26th 2020, 9:36 am

February 26

After a very short retirement, I was now a couple of weeks into teaching. Driving to school one morning, the unthinkable happened. It was September 11th and I was listening to live radio reports from New York City. When the school staff got together before the students arrived, they turned to me and asked, "What's going to happen now?"

"We'll get through this," I answered, "but America is forever changed." Our country did pull together, as a wave of patriotism and turning to God swept the nation. (I wish it lasted longer than it did.)

Silently, I was hoping that there might be some kind of recall, returning veterans to active duty. As time went on, it came to me that we had passed the torch to a younger group of warriors, and it was now my job to support and pray for them. "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." (1 Peter 3:12)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 27th 2020, 12:30 pm

February 27

Our long-awaited wilderness survival trip was at hand. On a map, I had seen a "spring" symbol, so that was our destination. With not much more than tents, sleeping bags and a little water, we hiked into the mountainous area. We reached the spring just as our water ran out, and stood there deflated.

A long-ago rancher had turned the spring into a trough for livestock. The wood basin was covered with moss and more, and the water was green. We cleaned it out and drained it, allowing better-looking water to fill it, but we still boiled it before use.

We went hungry that day, for edible plants just couldn't be found. We expanded our search the next day and came upon a single apple tree in the forest. Deer had picked it nearly clean, there were just enough high up to give us one apple apiece. Never did something taste so good.

Although it would've been wise to put a few energy bars into my pack, just in case, it was a surprising example of God providing for our needs that day. "Command those...to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." (1 Timothy 6:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 27th 2020, 5:38 pm

February 28

We had finally made the decision to leave California for the mountains of Montana. On our most recent vacation there, my brother-in-law was driving me around to get a feel for the available real estate. One lot was to die for, but he told me that the mountain behind would block direct sunlight for most of the winter.

Aw we walked back to the truck, I reached down and made a snowball, lobbing it into his turned back. He faced me and yelled, "Hey! Montanans don't throw snowballs!" I sat quietly in the truck, thinking it over. With snow on the ground 6 months a year, I guessed that it must quickly lose its appeal. I decided to become a Montanan that day.

The apostle Paul lived in different areas and cultures, and recognized the need to live as others did in order to witness more effectively to them. "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." (1 Corinthians 9:22)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 27th 2020, 5:51 pm

February 29

While on a deployment to Central America, our superiors decided to give us a break from the monotony of patrolling a single area. We were given the option of going south of the Equator to Ecuador. I read the description of the port of Guyaquil, discovering that its population was well over one million people.

It was also more than 40 miles up a river. I pulled out a few charts and studied the route we would take. Multiple areas were labeled with "shifting sand bar" warnings. And the depth of the water in many places was iffy for our ship's draft. I took the information to the captain, adding that we could get a river pilot to help us out. "What do you think, Chief?" I shook my head negatively, which he agreed with.

The apostle Paul gave good advice to Timothy, his assistant. It was important for him to listen to what had been said before about him, which would help in "...holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith." (1 Timothy 1:19)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 1st 2020, 12:26 am

March 1

When the subject of military service comes up, I will sometimes mention my nearly 27 years in the Navy. And once in a while, someone will ask me if I miss it. Many veterans choose to take another job that is related in some way to the military.

But I've always said that I walked away from the Navy and never missed it for a day. I will let that comment hang for a moment, and then add that I dream about it every week. That's about a thousand dreams and counting now. Somewhere deep down, I guess I still miss the camaraderie and the mission.

While dreams can rekindle memories, it's important to keep looking forward, being available to meet new challenges. "Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore fear God." (Ecclesiastes 5:7)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 2nd 2020, 12:42 am

March 2

Back in the day, when my boys were teenagers, I was sometimes mistaken for their older brother. I would tell people that it was due to the saltwater preservation of my Navy years. That usually got a chuckle, but I would add that I chose to live a lifestyle that didn't wear me out.

One of the guards at my brig went through a couple packs of cigarettes a day. The damage to her skin made her look twice her age. Then she took a couple week's leave and came back with a new face. It must have cost a lot of money. But she continued to smoke just as heavily. I always wondered how long the face lift lasted. How terrible to know that an addiction caused your problems, but you're unable to resist it.

But Jesus spoke of something worse than that, when he called out some of the leaders of his day in the 6th chapter of Matthew. "Do not be like the hypocrites...For they disfigure their faces..." in an attempt to win the approval and admiration of others.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 3rd 2020, 6:50 am

March 3

Early on a Monday morning, my ship's Master at Arms was waiting on the quarterdeck for a specific chief petty officer to arrive. And when he did, he loudly protested as he was taken below deck for testing. A couple of days earlier, that chief had hosted a party for the men in his division. Marijuana was passed around and the chief partook like a pro. One of the junior firemen, upon his return to the ship, told what had happened.

So the chief had to "donate" bodily fluid, which was sent to a shore lab for testing. It turned out to be positive. It was later learned that he had been a long-time user, who employed a little trick to avoid testing in the past. Before the month was out, the chief was discharged from the Navy, losing his retirement which was less than a year away.

You may think you're getting away with something, but sooner or later it's revealed and the consequences can be devastating. "...you may be sure that your sin will find you out." (Numbers 32:23)

"Don't do the crime if you can't lose the time..." (with apologies to the TV show Baretta)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones March 3rd 2020, 11:13 am

Good job! I have enjoyed reading these. Good insight on devotion. Most if not all of these combined would make a great morning devotion book.

Our lives are full of moments that as you have done remind us of the love of Jesus and His Word.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 4th 2020, 9:31 am

March 4

My wife and I were enjoying a favorite pastime, looking through an antique store in a rural town. Normally, I didn't look at books, but a copy of Bowditch from 1942 caught my eye. I wondered if a shipboard quartermaster had used it during World War II. I took the book to the counter, where two elderly men were sitting and talking.

At their feet was an old dog and I asked if I could meet him. I got down and gave the appreciative pet a rubdown, which made me feel good, too. A phrase entered my mind and I shared it. "A dog a day keeps the doctor away." One of the men responded, "That's a good thing to ponder. Maybe I'll use it on my show." It was then that I recognized his voice. The gentleman broadcast a statewide daily radio show.

Sometimes, receiving the unconditional love of one of God's creations can do more than what man can. Paul was a doctor who nevertheless recognized that his skills were limited. "Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, 'Stand up on your feet!' At that, the man jumped up and began to walk." (Acts 14:9-10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 5th 2020, 11:38 am

March 5

Apples are definitely my favorite fruit. There are so many ways to prepare them, from raw to hot out of the oven. And the number of apple varieties seems endless, each with a unique flavor. There was a small mountain community east of our home, which we occasionally visited. An old turn-of-the-century hotel was still in operation, and we once stayed in a room that a former president had slept in.

On of the town's charming draws was an abundance of century-old apple orchards that were still producing. But it wasn't just people that enjoyed them. There were also a lot of deer in the area, and they helped themselves to low-hanging apples when they ripened. Hunting season coincided with this, and it was well-known that the deer venison had an unmistakable flavor of apples.

In everything that David experienced, all the highs and lows, he knew that one thing exceeded them all. "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." (Psalm 34:Cool
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 6th 2020, 12:58 pm

March 6

As a member of an amphibious group staff, I once visited a base with LCACs. These were 100-foot long air-cushioned vehicles that could travel across water at high speed. Those that "piloted" them required much training, some of it resembling what aviators received.

So it was that I found myself in an LCAC simulator, a mock-up cabin with all the controls, and large screens that simulated movement. With much coaching, I brought the virtual LCAC on-cushion and slowly down the beach into the water. I increased speed and travelled to a simulated amphibious ship on the horizon.

Again with much coaching, I nursed the controls and entered the ship, going off-cushion and shutting the engines down. I had a big smile, feeling satisfied at my performance. My coach put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Okay, you've just finished the easiest rookie mission."

Life gets progressively harder as more and more responsibilities come our way. It's wise to look to someone with experience to help prepare us. Who better than the One who was often called Teacher. "A student is not above his teacher..." (Matthew 10:24)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 6th 2020, 9:44 pm

March 7

I have a crystal-clear memory from high school when I first had a serious discussion with myself. "What kind of a career do I want?" Any honest work is honorable work, but I did want to be able to make a difference with my choice. It didn't take long for me to come up with a Top 3 list: military, law enforcement or teacher. I had, and still have, a lot of respect for anyone in those fields.

As time went on, I had a career in the Navy, which included a few years in corrections, a career as a teacher and principal, and most recently I spend time as the volunteer program coordinator for the local police department. Looking back half a century at my career desires, I feel amazingly blessed by God's help in making them happen.

But I firmly believe that God needs our obedience and heart in order to bless us. With His light in front of us, our steps will always be true. "But seek first his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 8th 2020, 10:52 am

March 8

When I was selected as a Limited Duty Officer, I found myself in a new world. Gone was a relatively safe environment where the worst that might happen to you physically was getting pricked by a sharp navigational tool. Danger now lurked around every corner for those that didn't pay attention to their surroundings. Life on the main deck of a replenishment ship had an abundance of risk.

It wasn't long until I developed a personal motto, which I ended up using while in uniform or not. "What's the worst possible thing that could happen right now?" Things might be going exceptionally well at the time, but I would still ask myself that question. And I'd think it through on the spot, along with potential remedies and improvements. It is a motto that has served me well for nearly 40 years.

Before a battle, Gideon's soldiers went down to the water to drink, most of them not paying attention to their surroundings. But some kept their eyes up and found favor. "Three hundred men lapped with their hands to their mouths. All the rest got down on their knees to drink." (Judges 7:6)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 9th 2020, 12:22 pm

March 9

The morale of our brig's guards was low. Although they were able to rotate in and out of the housing units, their "off-guard" assignments left much to be desired during their 3-year tours. It created a lot of bad feelings. Getting a green light from the commanding officer to work on it, I brought in representatives from all the departments.

After the first meeting, I knew the perfect solution to the problem. But swooping in with it on my own might not earn the critical buy-in that was needed for success. So over the next few meetings, I guided them along until they came up with the same solution.

Just as an external detailer in Wash, DC wrote orders for everyone to come to the brig, we would create an internal detailer to rotate people through our departments. It was fair and unbiased, and people had a say in their assignments. Morale greatly improved.

Words spoken are rarely enough to take care of problems. You've got to actively go after them in order to bring about a solution. "...seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34:14)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 10th 2020, 2:58 am

March 10

It had been perfect weather for the group of boys I took hiking north of San Diego. Now we were on our way back home, and I decided to treat them for ice cream at the naval air station. Pulling out of the drive-through, I then drove to the air field and parked. The boys piled out and leaned against the fence preventing unauthorized entry. The nearby F-14 Tomcat fighters drew some appreciative comments from the boys, as well as the attention of some aviation maintenance airmen.

They unlocked a nearby gate, invited us in and led us to the flight-line and the Tomcats. Now the boys were really excited, standing just feet away and staring upwards. And then the unexpected happened. A ladder was brought over and the boys took turns climbing up and sitting in the pilot's seat. For the rest of the ride home, they couldn't stop talking about their experience.

The boys got a close-up examination of all the cockpit instrumentation that was necessary for the plane to carry out its mission. Likewise, we need a close-up look at our lives to make sure we're always ready for the work that God has given us. "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves." (2 Corinthians 13:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 11th 2020, 3:51 pm

March 11

Driving home from a hike with my wife, we decided to stop at an antiques shop in a small backcountry town. But nothing caught my eye until I saw a display in one corner. It seemed out of place, but it put a smile on my face and I called my wife to join me in looking over postcards and gag gifts.

The shop owner noticed what we were looking at and came over to talk for a minute before excusing herself. She returned from an upstairs apartment with a family album and handed it to me. Inside were scores of original photos of The Three Stooges, not movie publicity shots, but images of them enjoying everyday life. The owner was a niece of Larry, the frizzy-haired Stooge. We had a nice conversation that gave us insight into the famous trio of comedians.

The number three, like a few other numbers, has some spiritual significance. The most well-know, of course, is the Holy Trinity. An understanding of the role that each plays gives us a wholly abundant life.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next