RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fighting Fire With Fire
by joecool Today at 9:58 am

» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool May 18th 2024, 8:26 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17131 messages in 1007 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 4 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool March 12th 2020, 3:37 pm

March 12

Living in a home surrounded by Ponderosa pine trees sure felt good. Besides getting a measure of privacy, I got the sensation of being in the middle of a forest. And then they attacked. After affecting other states, pine bark beetles were now in Montana. They burrowed through the bark to the softer material and ate their way around the truck, which prevented the transport of water and nutrients for the tree. Your only warning was the needles starting to turn orange-red, and at that point it was too late.

The dead trees were a hazardous fuel for fires, so I cut them down as they appeared. I had bad dreams of living in a "little house on the prairie" as they died by the hundreds. I bought expensive packs of pheromone chemicals that were supposed to fool the beetles. Nothing that man did worked, but after a couple of years it stopped. An early cold snap killed off the beetles before they had prepared themselves for a winter.

Pharaoh's Egypt had a similar bug problem with plagues of flies, gnats and locusts. His stubbornness and hardened heart brought them on, and they only stopped when he finally gave in. A humbled heart was all that was needed to control the bugs, but he chose poorly. The attitude change was only temporary, leading to even worse plagues.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 13th 2020, 9:12 am

March 13

Moving a few states north for a new duty station, my wife and I decided to take advantage of a program. If we moved ourselves, we would receive part of the money saved by the Navy. When the time came, we loaded up a truck and took off. Much later, driving in heavy traffic, I couldn't get out of an 'exit only' lane and found myself going through a river tunnel into Manhattan.

Working our way out of there, we continued to follow explicit instructions on Long Island. Our next exit had a sign that said "No Trucks", but I took it anyways, not having an alternate route. It wasn't long before we approached a low overpass whose stated clearance was less than my truck's height. I slowed to 5 mph, which irritated the drivers behind me, but I inched under the overpass and cleared it.

The stress and extra work had me feeling that it just wasn't worth it. Especially when I received the check. The government took out taxes and left us with about $50 for our trouble. It was the last time we participated in the program.

Paul found it necessary to address a certain issue that a Christian community was having problems with. "If you owe taxes, pay taxes..." (Romans 13:7) Some things just never change.

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 14th 2020, 5:25 pm

March 14

It had been a long underway period, full of special evolutions and lots of late-night watches. We were inport for a few days of liberty and rest, but I was stuck with first day's duty. Well after midnight, I got ready to go to sleep, but left a message with the quarterdeck watch. "When the Operations Officer gets back, it's important that he call me."

I don't remember my head hitting the pillow. My phone rang and it took all my concentration to put it to my ear and listen. "Ops Boss here. What's up?" But my brain was too tired to tell my mouth to say something. All I could do for the first 30 seconds was think, "Don't hang up on me. Come on, brain. Start working." Eventually it warmed up and I was able to start a conversation.

There will be many times when hard work and exhaustion will overcome you. When they happen, remember the words of Isaiah 40:31, "...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagle, they will run and not grow weary..."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 15th 2020, 7:52 am

March 15

My boys and I had completed a few days of hiking and getting acclimatized to the high altitude. Now it was time to go to the summit of Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 states. Most of those who attempt it hike partway to the base camp, which is above 10,000 feet in elevation. Tents are pitched and hikers wait until early the next morning to make the rest of the trip with minimal equipment.

Signs warned hikers to take plenty of water, along with the reason why. And it turned out the signs were correct. When we arrived at the base camp, we could see several areas where the snow had a red tint to it, a clear sign that it was contaminated by a certain bacteria. Melting that snow for drinking water would sicken those who drank it.

Jesus told the disciples many things, but chose to give them signs as well. "And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen." (Mark 16:20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 16th 2020, 9:28 am

March 16

Not too far from my house is a stunning trail through a wooded canyon. A creek flows alongside to add to the pleasing ambiance. The first time I hiked it, I became aware of a definite change in the surroundings, and I had to think about what was different. Ah, I couldn't hear the creek anymore.

I made my way down the slope to a dry creek bed and followed it back in the direction I came from. It wasn't long before I could see water entering the channel from a variety of places. I mentioned this to a friend later, and was told that a long-ago heavy rain combined with a fast snowmelt and caused a major flood. It washed out a road and caused major changes to the topography, including the creek. It had been driven below to pop up again a couple of miles later.

Our world suffers from a shortage of hope and optimism, but it's not hard to find again. Our Savior has it in abundance for those who ask. "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (John 7:38)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 17th 2020, 9:33 am

March 17

While a son and his wife lived in Alaska, we made annual summer trips to enjoy the stunning natural beauty. One of our excursions was to a glacier, which was awe-inspiring even from a distance. Along with others, we met up with a tour guide, who got us all into tandem kayaks.

We paddled up to the edge of the glacier, entering a narrow channel with 20-foot walls of ice. There was a landing of sorts and we got out to put crampons on, which gave us good traction. About halfway through our glacier hike, I lost one of my crampons. Although it had to be in the immediate vicinity, we couldn't find it. For the rest of the hike, I felt like I was on thin ice, and my wife had to hold my hand.

During the course of our lives, we will walk in unfamiliar territory with varying degrees of danger. How comforting to know that we can rely on Jesus to keep us safe and "...guide our feet into the path of peace." (Luke 1:79)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 18th 2020, 9:15 am

March 18

Not very many people hiked through the backcountry where I found myself. I was with a group of 15 men and teens on a one-week backpacking trip north of Yellowstone. Because it was a high-altitude trip, our leader limited our miles each day and allowed for multiple rest stops along the way.

I came prepared with a light set of fishing gear and looked forward to using it. On day two, we stopped by a small lake and I pulled out my tackle. I studied the water and the shoreline, along with the sun's position, and chose my spot. Casting a lure, I had my first brook trout within seconds! I cast again and caught another...and another....and another. Every cast brought one in. There was no challenge, no need for patience, or any need to change strategy. Sorry to say, but I got bored and put my gear away.

But in serving Christ for over 40 years, I can honestly say that I've never had a boring day. Every day of ministry is unique, and yes, oftentimes challenging. But I wouldn't trade them for anything. "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere." (Psalm 84:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 19th 2020, 9:17 am

March 19

High-altitude, long-distance backpacking is not for the faint of heart. In fact, it can break down those in good condition, too. With two more days to go, a group of us woke up to a beautiful sunrise. While most of us were stretching in the cold air and smiling, someone was hobbling around. And when it was time to hit the trail, his eyes were watering as soon as he put on his backpack.

So I went over and picked up his pack, wondering how I was going to carry an extra 40 pounds. Feeling that balancing the weight was key, I put the pack against my chest and my arms through the straps. I asked someone to connect the buckles behind my back. Although I looked a bit odd going down the trail, I found that I could endure the burden with ease.

Paul wrote about the importance of each one helping others with their burdens. But it applied to something much more important than physical labor. Spiritual burdens, sometimes caused by sin in our lives, can be especially damaging, and a brother can help out. "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 20th 2020, 11:32 am

March 20

When on a group hike, there are certain things that can make it more enjoyable. Singing, for example. We had just started off on a multi-day hike when a teenager started to sing a melody of Veggie Tale songs. He was so good, it sounded like we were listening to a CD. He was perfectly imitating the characters.

But you can only take it for so long. Day after day after day, it was wearing thin. Arriving at a campsite after a long day in constant rain, we quickly set up our tents and got a roaring fire going. Not long afterwards, we had steaming plates of food ready to eat. And that's when I noticed two sets of eyes in the dark woods reflecting the campfire.

I invited the pair of soaked hikers into our camp, where we helped them set up and gave them food. Things were going well until our teenager started singing again. I leaned over to one of our guests and said, "Ummm, he's singing...," and she enthusiastically finished my sentence, "Veggie Tales!" Turned out that she had interned for the production company that made the popular shows.

The Lord has given us a created world to enjoy. And as a bonus, the creative ability to compose music and songs. "But no one says, 'Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night, who teaches more to us than to the beasts of the earth and makes us wiser than the birds of the air?'" (Job 35:10-11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 21st 2020, 11:06 am

March 21

A long day of hiking, followed by setting up camp and cooking a hot meal. There's something about the taste of food after a strenuous day in the outdoors. We were in the process of cleaning up when we noticed the weather front coming our way from the east. Putting everything away and making sure the tents were as secure as possible, we got inside and waited. The wind hit first, shaking the tents and bending the fiberglass poles.

And then the lightning came. Although inside the tents, we could see the surroundings brighten up with each strike. And the time delay became shorter and shorter, letting us know that the bolts were getting closer. At the height of the storm, a simultaneous flash and deafening boom hit, involuntarily causing me to flatten on my sleeping bag. They say that lightning never strikes the same place twice, and I was praying that it was true.

I was the only one in a tent by myself that evening, but I really wasn't. Jesus tells us that he is always with us, even in the last days. "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." (Matthew 24:27)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 22nd 2020, 12:45 am

March 22

I was a teenaged member of the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps, and we were always looking for ways to raise funds. One opportunity involved going to a University of Washington football game and selling corsages. The flowers could be pinned onto clothing, and featured a big, blue pipe cleaner bent into an "N", representing the Naval Academy team playing against the Huskies that day.

Each uniformed cadet had a box full of flowers to sell, but they just weren't attracting any buyers. Getting a flash of inspiration, I changed the pipe cleaner shape into a "W" and sold out my box in the next 10 minutes. I passed the idea on to my fellow cadets and we ended up raising a goodly sum.

As nice as the arrangement looked, the flowers likely ended up in the trash within a couple of days. Nothing on Earth is permanent, but God remains as eternal as ever, and should be what we focus on.
"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:Cool
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 23rd 2020, 12:21 am

March 23

"Four more years!" is a common political campaign chant, but it often applies to the military as well. Enlisted personnel who choose to continue their career end up re-enlisting, usually for a period of four years. I gave that up when I was commissioned, but now I had the privilege of administering the oath in re-enlistment ceremonies.

It took a little coordination of schedules, but I was able to meet my brother at a family reunion in Minnesota. While everyone was enjoying a barbeque, we went inside to change into our uniforms. We came out and explained what was going on and everyone crowded around. When the ceremony was over, I was surprised at the applause. After some handshakes, we changed again before tackling the barbequed chicken.

Oaths are extremely important and should never be a casual promise that might be broken. And if it's one from our heavenly Father, you can definitely count on it. "But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand..." (Deuteronomy 7:Cool
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 23rd 2020, 9:30 pm

March 24

For an upcoming boys' campout, a Western theme was announced. My group put our heads together and decided to show up as "F Troop." We built a prop cannon and fort, and the moms made cavalry-type uniforms for their boys. No two ensembles looked alike, but that was the point.

We had already volunteered to present our skit, and now we were waiting offstage with nearly 1000 campers watching. We marched onto the stage in a slovenly way, exactly as the original F Troopers would have, and we got a lot of hoots and raspberries from the audience. My boys clumsily followed my order to face them and then launched into a song to the tune of the TV show.

Our lyrics were about how we weren't much to look at before, but had turned around when we received Jesus into our hearts. We swapped out our F pennant for one with an A, and crisply marched off to a standing O.

People sometimes had a low impression of him, but Paul knew that it was unimportant compared to what the Lord could accomplish through him. "For some say, 'His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing.' Such people should realize that what we are in our letters when we are absent, we will be in our actions when we are present." (2 Corinthians 10:10-11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 26th 2020, 9:06 am

March 25

It was time to prepare our group of boys for the big annual campout. There was an endless list of preparations, but one of our men added something to his personal list...finishing the restoration of his 60s' Land Rover. It was rough and tough, as well as pleasing to the eye. And just in time, he added a fold-out, rooftop tent. At the campout, it got quite a few visits from admiring men, who gawked at it more than the boys.

A few days later, we were all packed up and headed down the mountain. And halfway home, it happened. A fire started in the engine compartment, and smoke was pouring out from under the hood. The driver quickly pulled over and got everyone out of the vehicle. He carefully popped open the hood to see flames, and the boys stepped forward with their water bottles. The flames were extinguished, but the driver had to get a trailer the next day to get the Range Rover home.

An inspection showed that loose wiring and insulation had settled against the engine block, starting the fire. It didn't take much for trouble to take advantage of the lapse. "...his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work." (1 Corinthians 3:13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 26th 2020, 9:22 am

March 26

Before reporting to a new duty station, I first went to a joint-service school at an Alabama US Army base. Along with others, I received the basics on how to run a correctional facility, whether we were going to be a guard, counselor or department head. It was all very interesting and we absorbed all the information in order to do well at whichever brig or prison we were going to.

One day, we had a guest speaker from a local health organization. To our surprise, the only thing she "taught" us was how to put a piece of latex onto a vegetable. In the back row, I was steaming while soldiers and sailors were dragged up front to prove their ability to do the same. When it was over, I went straight to the office of the school's OIC to complain about the inappropriateness and total irrelevance of the demonstration. Seriously, were we expected to help prisoners with this?

I have no idea if this lesson was later removed from the curriculum or not. But sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted. You don't have to tolerate everything you're faced with. "Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrong." (Habakkuk 1:13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 27th 2020, 8:28 am

March 27

My new bride and I travelled Highway 101 on the Pacific Coast for our honeymoon. Rounding every corner was a new vista and a new visual treat. Eventually, we had gone far enough south to turn inland and spend time with my brother, also in the Navy, and his wife. Recounting memories of our high school years was fun, as all four of us attended the same school. And my twin brother hatched a scheme for old times' sake.

The next day, we both dressed in workday uniforms and drove to his base, where it was payday. My brother's Chief, who had all the paychecks, worked in an office with two doors. I went in first and picked up the paycheck, exiting the side door. At the same time, my brother entered through the first door and asked for his check. The Chief leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms and thought for a moment, and pointed towards the other door.

Although we had a good laugh afterwards, it was the last time we pulled this childhood prank. It was just time to move on. "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." (1 Corinthians 13:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 28th 2020, 10:46 am

March 28

Waking up early one morning, I could see that it had been raining all night. So I decided to stay off the freeway and take a side highway to the base. As infrequently as it rained in southern California, a slippery oil sheen could be present. I started up my motorcycle, put on my helmet and got onto the road...where everyone else had the same idea. The highway was packed with commuters doing about 50 mph, but at least it was moving.

And then my front wheel started to wobble uncontrollably and I felt myself going down. All I had time to do was call out the name of "Jesus", and I was sliding on the side of my bike. In the dark, sparks were coming off my bike and headlights were whizzing by me. When I finally stopped sliding, I looked up to see a pair of lights above me. As traffic stopped, I got up and pushed my bike to the side of the road. That's when I noticed that the roadway was covered in mud. The driver who had stopped just in time offered me a ride to work. "Hey, man. I was praying for you."

Trouble can come when and where you least expect it. And help can come from any direction. I never saw that guy again, but I knew he was there for me that day. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 29th 2020, 2:13 pm

March 29

Not long after moving to Montana, I was invited by a church friend to join him on an outing. Not having my own equipment, I found a place that rented cross-country skis. I had absolutely no experience, but he promised to show me the ropes. After some basic instructions, we set off on our local golf course. While I was not entirely graceful, I was making forward progress and enjoying it.

When we came to a long downhill section, he stopped and said, "Watch how I do it." Trying to memorize his posture at different places along the run, I was psyching up to push off. But towards the bottom of the hill, my friend lost his balance. In slow motion, he looked like Charlie Brown on the pitcher's mound, trying to avoid a line drive. When he slid to a stop, he raised his gloved hand and yelled, "Don't copy that part!"

We will often come upon a situation in which we have no previous experience. It can be helpful to watch and learn from others, but you need to be careful in what you choose to imitate. "Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong." (Exodus 23:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 30th 2020, 9:53 am

March 30

When the situation in Somalia deteriorated to the point where international aid organizations were threatened, our 3-ship amphibious group was rushed to the area. During subsequent security operations, we spent much of our time anchored offshore. The first time, it didn't take long to realize the anchor wasn't holding, so we let out more chain, but that didn't work, either.

Charts of the area weren't of much help, not giving any indication of what kind of sea bottom lay below us. We eventually determined that smooth bedrock must make up the sea floor, and there wasn't anything we could do to hold our position. The local ocean current had control of the situation, and our anchor dragged for miles each day. Every so often, we would pull up the anchor and reposition ourselves.

In a world full of seemingly overwhelming forces beyond our control, there is something we can hold on to. God's promises are many, and the hope that he offers is real. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." (Hebrews 6:19)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 30th 2020, 10:54 pm

March 31

Before dawn, we awoke to the sound of our window blinds being blown about. And we saw a miles-long ribbon of flame in the distance. A wild fire was nearing our small rural town east of San Diego. We drove to our church, which was at the edge of town and surrounded by dry sage brush. Other members of our church arrived and we went to work, clearing what we could around the building. The fire department chief drove by and took a look at all the tall eucalyptus trees and said, "There's nothing we can do here. It's time for you to get out."

A retired pastor of the church had a home up higher on the hill. We evacuated him and then left. Over the next few days, the out-of-control fire raged back and forth throughout the county, destroying over a thousand homes. When we returned to the church, we found that the advancing sea of flames had parted and spared both the church and pastor's home. Delivered from harm by the hand of God, and the story ended up on the TV news.

Although they were spared then, some day that church and home will be gone. They may be replaced or not. But God and his promises are everlasting and worthy of our trust. "They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment." (Hebrews 1:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 31st 2020, 9:53 pm

April 1

I was wrapping up my second tour on an amphibious warfare ship, and was really enjoying it. Over the years, I had come up with some ideas and shared them with my peers on other ships, trying to make things better for everyone. My time for rotation back to shore duty was coming up, and I had a pretty fair idea of what staff duty would be like. So I put a note on my calendar to call my detailer, whose responsibility it was to move me around.

On the morning I had planned to call the detailer, he beat me to the punch. "Would you like the seamanship billet at Amphibious Group Three?" I was momentarily lost for words. "Hold on for a second while I check my calendar. Let's see now. It says "Call detailer for Amphibious Group Three job'...YES!"

Not everything will happen exactly the way you want it to, but it's amazing how well the God of the universe knows each of us. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 2nd 2020, 9:46 am

April 2

Far from the type that the old trappers made for themselves, today's snowshoes are made of lightweight metals or composite material. They're also much smaller, in order to give the hiker more control. A son of mine had a pair, so I borrowed them for a group hike up on McDonald Pass. Arriving there, everyone got outfitted and we headed down a trail. It was groomed to the point where someone wearing tennis shoes wouldn't have a problem, so we decided to go cross-country.

It wasn't long before we were struggling through deep snow. We learned to read the terrain in order to avoid fallen trees, but it was still a hard slog. None of us escaped falling and sinking into soft snow, needing a hand or two to regain our footing. It was all harder than it looked and by the time we returned to our cars, we were all sweating and feeling like the fun had been stolen from us.

To the vast majority of people, snowshoeing is only a recreational activity, and the results are of no real significance. Life, however, is full of circumstances which can threaten our spiritual lives if we aren't careful. Trust "...him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy..." (Jude 24)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 3rd 2020, 10:45 am

April 3

At the end of a Sunday evening service, where the message was about healing, I asked a friend to call me in a half hour. "And I'll tell you that my son is healed." But when I returned home, he wasn't any better. Later that night, our 2-year old boy's condition sent us all to the Army hospital. I figured we'd get a prescription and go back home. Instead, the doctor brought admissions paperwork. "He has an intestinal blockage and requires surgery.

I was by myself while he was being prepped and my wife was with him. I was feeling dejected and looked up. And that's when I felt His presence and a sense that everything was going to be all right. I shared that with my wife as we walked alongside my son on a gurney. We could see the operating room door at the end of the hallway and our doctor paused. "I'll check him one more time in this side room." A little while later, he came outside. "Well, that's interesting. The blockage has cleared and your son doesn't require surgery."

Our son contracted an unknown virus while staying overnight in the hospital. Due to its severity, I firmly believe that he would have died had he also had the operation. But both of us were healed by a loving Father. "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 4th 2020, 9:55 am

April 4

My first ship had a variety of equipment and armament up front so that those up on the bridge couldn't see any activity there. Deck specialists, known as Boatswain's Mates, oversaw this area. One of them was fairly old and grizzled, happy to either earn stripes or lose them. I hadn't been assigned to the ship for very long before hearing about one of his quirks.

While the ship was at sea, it was said that early every morning he would walk up to the front of the ship. He would then climb over the safety railing at the forward-most point and hang over the rushing water for a while. It was several months before I got up the nerve to ask him if it was true. "Hey, Boats. Do you really go up to the foc'sle by yourself and hang over the side?" His eyes twinkled as he said, "Go by myself? Hey, I'm not crazy."

I don't know if anyone took his place at the railing after he transferred to another ship. Hopefully not. But there's a scriptural warning not to take chances with the safety of others. "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block for the weak." (1 Corinthians 8:9)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 5th 2020, 10:46 am

April 5

Our long-awaited stop off the coast of Western Australia had finally arrived. Liberty boats had been running constantly to get everyone ashore that wanted to go. In the wee hours of the night, perhaps when their money was gone, some had been coming back. When not being used, the boats were tied off to a steel boom sticking out from the side of the ship. Boat crews would climb up a rope ladder and scoot themselves along the boom to get back on the ship.

Still under the influence of alcohol, a young sailor decided that he wanted to return to shore. So he walked out along the boom and tried to go down the ladder to the boat. He lost his grip and fell into the water, where the current took him into the darkness. Fortunately, someone on the quarterdeck heard the splash and turned a light towards the sound. He was rescued in time.

To be clear, the Bible does NOT ban drinking alcohol. But as it so often happens, those who drink end up putting their lives, and the lives of others, in danger. "Do not join those who drink too much wine...for drunkards...become poor." (Proverbs 23:20-21) Or dead.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next