RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fighting Fire With Fire
by joecool Today at 9:58 am

» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool May 18th 2024, 8:26 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17131 messages in 1007 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 10 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool August 8th 2020, 6:44 pm

August 8

The airframe shook as the four engines were pushed to their maximum rpm. Rolling down the runway on large balloon tires at increasing speed, I was surprised that it wasn't louder than it was. And we left the ground so smoothly, I had to look out the small window to make sure we were in fact aloft. The fuselage was narrow, the space made even tighter by the .50 caliber machinegun on each side. My boys and I took turns going to the rear gunner's position where we got a great view of Montana.

I thought back 76 years to when this same aircraft was carrying out missions in the skies over Italy and Yugoslavia. It was manned by younger men than us, brave members of the Greatest Generation who responded to a call to do their duty. This B-25 Mitchell bomber and its crew made it back to America, though many didn't. Much of the world owes their freedom to them.

As much as we honor the Greatest Generation, we cannot fail to honor our Lord, Jesus Christ. He answered the Father's call and flawlessly carried out his mission, sacrificing all in order to save us all. Don't waste the gift of freedom. "Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants as God." (1 Peter 2:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 9th 2020, 10:30 am

August 9

I was the only one home after returning from a day of fishing off Seattle. Saltwater bottom-fishing is relaxing, requiring a minimum of effort and strategy. On this particular outing, I had caught a couple of red snappers, which were delicious pretty much any way you prepared it. After filleting the meat, I poured vegetable oil in a pot to heat up, intending to deep fry the meat. It takes awhile for the oil to get hot enough, so I looked through a newspaper and lost track of the time.

The "whoomp!" was an unusual noise, so I looked over to the kitchen. Black smoke was billowing out and I realized that the oil had caught fire. Running into the kitchen, I could see two-foot flames coming out of the pot. Fortunately, I didn't lose my head and looked around for the pot lid. Carefully, I put it over the pot and the fire immediately went out. What took longer was getting the smoke out of the house and scrubbing the soot off the kitchen ceiling.

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember if my Mom noticed. But I do know that she had taught me some of the basics of cooking, so maybe that kept the situation from getting out of hand. Thanks, Mom. "Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching." Proverbs 1:8

Last edited by joecool on November 13th 2022, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 9th 2020, 9:58 pm

August 10

My ship was involved in a multi-day mission to remove all explosives from an aircraft carrier that was due to go into a shipyard for an overhaul. Another ship was likewise tasked, but it wasn't long before its helicopters were grounded for mechanical reasons. So it was up to our own pilots and two helos to do it all. But at a certain point, our pilots were exhausted and needed a night off.

The other ship offered up her pilots, who would fly our aircraft. I was on the bridge that night as the "loaned" pilots started up the first helicopter and launched. Moments later, I received an excited lookout report that "The helo's in the water!" I ran out to the bridge-wing and asked where it was. The lookout pointed straight up in the sky, where I could see its navigation lights blinking. A few minutes later, the helo landed back on our flight deck and shut down.

Reconstructing the events, it turned out that the pilots had immediately lost awareness of where they were. They slowly lost altitude and when they touched the surface of the sea, had immediately shot back up into the sky. Our irate captain grounded the pilots and waited until the next morning to resume operations with our own pilots. "Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." (1 Timothy 4:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 10th 2020, 4:34 pm

August 11

We had just left Helena, Montana after a winter-time visit with relatives. We had a long day's drive ahead of us before returning to the Seattle area by dark. Unfortunately, it had recently snowed and I had to drive slower than the posted speed limit. My wife had just put our infant son back in his car seat after feeding him. And as cars were passing me, it happened on what seemed to be a snow-free roadway.

My car's tires lost traction and I had no control of the steering. In a few seconds we were turned around and slid off the road, striking a front fender against a rocky slope. I checked on my family before getting out of the car. I had to pull a crumpled fender away from the tire, but we were able to finish our trip without any further excitement.

To date, that has been my only experience with "black ice." It can strike without warning when you least expect it, and we were blessed to have secured our son before our tires touched it. "For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous..." (Psalms 1:6)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 11th 2020, 8:42 am

August 12

Every year, the selection board would release a list of all the senior enlisted personnel who received a promotion. And every year, our senior chief Boatswain's Mate wasn't on it. Despite a stellar career filled with major accomplishments, he just couldn't earn a final advancement to master chief. His friends would pat him on the back and say, "You'll get it next year." I was relatively new onboard, but I was already impressed with his technical and leadership skills. Something was wrong.

"Senior Chief, have you ever checked your microfiche record?" Back in Wash, DC, every sailor had a miniaturized file that contained their record of qualifications and achievements. And that's what the selection board members reviewed each year. So he requested a copy, which turned out to be woefully incomplete. We helped him to bring it up to date and he was promoted the following year.

It's nice when your lifetime accomplishments are recognized by those at the top, especially when it comes with a tangible reward. Hard work can keep the scales tipped in our favor, but mistakes can tip it the other way. Our Father gives forgiveness to those who ask. "If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?" (Psalm 130:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 13th 2020, 11:29 am

August 13

In planning a camping trip with my boys, we carefully looked over a topographic map. We had a choice between two campgrounds, one at over 7500 feet and the other at 5000 feet. Since we would be there during the first week of June, we decided to reserve the lower one. When the day finally arrived, we drove several hours north until we turned west and saw Mount Whitney in the distance. What a beautiful sight it was.

But our campsite turned out to be lonely sagebrush and a few trees in the blazing hot high desert. Fortunately, a snow melt-fed creek ran right by our tent. For a few minutes at a time, we would stand in the icy cold water until it chased us out. Driving up to the upper level campsite, it turned out to be the best I'd ever seen. Pine trees, a creek, A Ranger station with a store, and a pond filled with rainbow trout. We returned to Mount Whitney the next year and left the desert campground behind.

Perhaps more research would have led me to the higher campground the first year. But I just didn't have any personal witness of the differences between them. After showing up, I could definitely tell. In the first book of the Old Testament, Jacob had a similar moment. "So Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him. When Jacob saw them, he said, 'This is God's camp.' And he called the name of that place Mahanaim." (Genesis 32:1-2)

Last edited by joecool on November 13th 2022, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool August 14th 2020, 8:23 am

August 14

It was probably the best recreational purchase I had ever made. For years now, we were enjoying a lightweight picnic table that could seat 4 people, and it also folded up into the size of a piece of luggage. Looking back, I wish I had bought an extra one, because knock-off copies turned out to be cheap and flimsy.

We were using it for the umpteenth time on our latest campout and I was using a propane stove on top if it, as usual. When the food was cooked, I served it onto plates and then prepared to lift the stove off the table. Ouch! The stove was hot in places it wasn't supposed to be, so I put some gloves on and removed it. That's when I noticed that the stove, perhaps because of a minor propane leak, had melted its way down. The table now had a permanent, 1-inch deep depression.

Because I couldn't trust it, the stove went into the trash. But 20 years later, I still have the table. And every time we use it, there's a reminder of the danger of heat. But fire also has the ability to purify. Allow the Lord to remove the things from your life that contaminate. "But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire..." (Malachi 3:2)

Last edited by joecool on November 11th 2022, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 24th 2020, 8:18 am

(Well, guys, I finished the book this morning.)

December 31

Well into retirement, I was now "decommissioning" a small sailboat, preparing to donate it to a preschool's playground. I had arranged for a mobile crane to assist me with the work in securing the retractable keel, which was a very heavy plate of steel. It proved to take a lot more effort and time than I had estimated, but the crane operator was patient and helped where needed. A few bandages on my hands later, the work was finally done and I was writing a check to the man.

"I know you from somewhere," he said to me. We shared information and kept going back in time, all the way back to my first ship. It turned out that he was a part of the helicopter detachment on my first overseas deployment and had remembered seeing me from time to time. I later found his picture in a cruise book, marveling at how he recognized me after 45 years.

It was a fitting end to my time on the water, coming full circle nearly a half century following my first voyage. Why did I spend so many years in the Navy? Simply put, I answered a call to duty, regardless of how hard it was, or lonely, or anything else. I just feel that I was born and called to do it and it's the same way with my Christian walk. Regardless of how hard it was, or lonely, or anything else, it was just something that I was born and called to do. it was my duty. "So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' " (Luke 17:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 17th 2022, 9:41 am

For all you guys (and gals) that read our posts on Ranger Chat, you're welcome to glean what you can from our fractured wisdom. But, we'd really like for you to post your own thoughts and lessons learned, so more people can benefit. Of course, that would require you to register and sign in.

Free, to the first 10 people who register for the first time, is a copy of From Sea Level To Mountaintop. After you register, send me a personal message through this site with your mailing address. And then, start posting!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 11th 2022, 6:42 pm

joecool wrote: Free, to the first 10 people who register for the first time, is a copy of From Sea Level To Mountaintop. After you register, send me a personal message through this site with your mailing address. And then, start posting!

Okay, so you guys prefer not to get freebies. You would rather pay your way through life, and I respect that. Well, I'm going to reactivate this thread and give you the rest of the devotion book.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 12th 2022, 11:06 am

August 15

Our new commanding officer was a fighter pilot, used to comprehensive briefings before each flying mission. He decided to do the same thing with our ship's mission, which primarily consisted of underway replenishments. For the most part, these briefings consisted of a couple of officers, myself included, getting up and talking about their department's role. They were pretty dry and after a while, became a bit dull and something we had to tolerate. And then "he" arrived.

My new Chief Boatswain's Mate was a small man with big abilities, not only out on deck leading men, but with new technology. In those days, Power Point was brand new and relatively simple, with few features. But the Chief figured out how to create an entertaining presentation that showed two ships coming together and lines and fuel hoses going across. This certainly livened things up, and people started to pay more attention and asked questions, making the briefings more valuable.

There is teaching, and there is teaching. The Chief knew his audience, and knew how to get the important information across to them. We lost touch after I transferred, but I'm sure he made Master Chief. He was the kind of guy that was destined to be in charge of bigger things. "Now the overseer must be above reproach...able to teach..." (1 Timothy 3:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 13th 2022, 10:05 am

August 16

Living in Montana after I retired from the Navy was everything I had dreamed of. I never had to drive any distance in order to get to an area of recreational opportunities. I now lived within them. But there was one thing I craved, and that was just a little piece of land on a creek, or dare I dream, on a lake. For years, I scoured real estate websites, hoping to find what I was looking for.

Invariably, whenever the right piece came up, I would find something that was a deal-breaker. Sometimes it was poor road access or restrictive covenants, and other times it was an over-inflated price. I mentioned this to a long-time resident and builder, who nodded his head and said, "You're ten years too late." It was disappointing, but as time went on, I found that my money was better spent elsewhere. I learned to be more content with what I had, knowing that family or ministry needs were more important.

Everything already belongs to God. We are just stewards of the things He has given to us. Look for opportunities to be generous with the things that He has blessed us with. It doesn't have to be money..time is so much more valuable to most people who need a hand. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 14th 2022, 8:49 am

August 17

We were anchored in the extreme northern end of the Adriatic Sea, near where a river emptied its fresh water. Several miles up the river was the ancient city of Venice, with its marvelous architecture and boat canals. I was on watch up on the bridge, monitoring the ship's position to make sure the anchor wasn't dragging. The skies were getting dark as a weather front moved in, and I saw something I'd never seen before or since.

A large waterspout had formed and was moving towards us and the river. Word was passed to all hands to quickly check for loose equipment and to close up doors and hatches. Up high, I had a great view of the approaching menace. But what I could also see were several commercial fishing boats acting like nothing out of the ordinary was happening. They continued to move in and out of the river entrance, even though the waterspout was only a few hundred yards away. Eventually it moved out of the area, without causing any damage.

Normally, we are concerned when we see indications of a strong wind coming our way, but these Italians weren't. Wouldn't it be something if the presence of the Holy Spirit were such a part of our daily life that it didn't cause astonishment? "Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting." (Acts 2:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 15th 2022, 8:38 am

August 18

We were spending the better part of a week in New Mexico, enjoying some of the natural beauty in that state. Yes, it was hot, and we were camping in a tent. Our side trip to the Carlsbad Caverns was a treat for more than one reason. Descending the walkway into the main opening and then inside, we were instantly surrounded by cool air. It was a real blessing, but after a couple of hours we were looking for a little desert sun to warm us up.

Being late afternoon, we decided to stay in the area until the sun went down. Each evening, bats would emerge from the caves to seek food, and we wanted to see it. Right on cue, when the sun sank below the horizon, uncounted thousands of bats flew out into the skies. The sight was something to see. It was hard to believe that there were enough bugs out there to sustain them.

Most insects go about their daily lives in a nearly invisible way, so we don't usually notice them. But inspects are valuable in helping to maintain a balanced world. Perhaps not so much in the way that John the Baptist used them, but certainly in others. "John's...food was locusts and wild honey." (Matthew 3:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 15th 2022, 6:09 pm

August 19

In the company of visiting relatives, we drove into the Washington town of Westport, right on the coast. We parked the car and walked down to the waterfront, just in time to see all the charter boats returning. Smiling people were getting off the boats, carrying their catch of heavy silver salmon. All I could think of was doing the same the next day, and all the people would see me with my own salmon.

Well before the sun was up, our charter boat was headed out to sea with my family. It was a beautiful, calm day and our skipper was very knowledgeable about where to fish. In fact, he knew the area so well that we all caught our limits within two hours and we headed back to port. As we pulled up to the dock, we saw that we were the first ones back. And it was so early, there weren't any spectators to impress, either.

Though it may go against our inner desire, we need to put some restrictions on the harvest. Without them, we may lose the ability to replenish precious natural resources. But there are no limits on the love that our Father has for us. "They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting job will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away." (Isaiah 35:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 15th 2022, 6:19 pm

August 20

I had first read an article about it several years ago, and now it was only a few months off. Unfortunately, millions of others knew about it, too. So I found myself unable to get hotel reservations anywhere in the area it was going to happen. As the day got closer and closer, there were reports that traffic was going to be jamming the roads, even away from cities. I reluctantly decided to stay home, which wouldn't give me the best view.

But I got to share the event with family and dozens of little kids at a preschool. A rare total eclipse of the sun would cover a belt across America. Where we were would only get about a 75% eclipse, but it was still awesome to see. As the moon passed between the sun and earth, it visibly darkened, and even though it was in the heat of a summer day, it got very cool for several minutes. The kids all loved looking at it through safety filters. This big kid loved it, too.

In a wonderful non-coincidence, the moon is exactly the right distance from earth to totally obscure the sun. Because of that, and for centuries, scientists have been making wonderful discoveries during eclipses, such as learning about elements. Just one example of a finely tuned universe. Once again, "The heavens declare the glory of God..." (Psalm 19:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 16th 2022, 4:14 pm

August 21

We were moored to a pier in Long Beach, California and the Special Sea and Anchor Detail had been called away. It was time to get underway. Normally, I would be out on deck supervising my department during this special evolution, but I had been assigned to be the Conning Officer. Under the eyes of senior officers and advised by the Navigator, I would be ordering course and speed changes on the way out to sea. The decision had already been made to leave, even though it was foggy and visibility was very poor.

We got underway and everything was going well as we sighted each pair of channel buoys and approached the opening of the breakwater. Room to maneuver was very restricted, with shallow water and the two extensions of huge walls made from boulders. And that's what keep our radar in the dark concerning approaching danger. Just outside, a smaller ship was following the breakwater line and was about to cross our path. Coming out of the fog bank I saw their bow and quickly ordered our ship's engines to stop and then go to Emergency Back Full. As we slowed, the other ship turned sharply away from us. But they were so close that our bow blocked the view of theirs. We braced and held our breath. Then the ship was clear and it melted back into the fog.

Even though we were watching for danger, it was obscured from us until the last moment. We must be ever vigilant in order to stay safe. "Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." (1 Timothy 4:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 16th 2022, 4:22 pm

Aug 22

My boys and I were on the east slope of California's Sierra Nevada Mountains, in the shadow of Mount Whitney, the highest point in the lower 48 states. We were making a series of short backpacking hikes in order to acclimatize ourselves to the high altitude. After a few days of this, we definitely felt like we were getting used to it. In 48 hours, we were going to attempt to summit the peak.

On our way back to camp, we occasionally met hikers on their way up. There was always a courteous exchange of "hellos" before moving on. After once such encounter, we had just stepped back onto the trail when I heard one of the other hikers tell his companion, "There go a couple of lightning rods." Now what did he mean by that, I thought. And then it came to me. We were wearing old-style backpacks with metal frames, not the best thing to have in country that received a lot of electrical storms. I felt a little uneasy the rest of the week.

There's a lot of power in a lightning bolt. Although it has natural beauty, we're smart enough to take steps to avoid them. They're strong enough to knock out electricity in a neighborhood or start a forest fire. It's imagery is also used to try and describe heavenly events. "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." (Matthew 24:27)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 17th 2022, 1:02 pm

Aug 23

My wife and I had just finished a few days by the lake in our 5th wheel trailer. There's something to be said for bringing all the comforts of home while camping. Thinking about tents always renewed a sense of nostalgia, but a queen-sized bed is pretty nice. It was an older trailer, so there were always a few things to fix up during the off-season. One of those was getting a couple of new window screens, but that was for later. We were on our way home, but left the trailer there for our son and his wife to use.

When we came back a few days later to hitch up the trailer, we found them busily cleaning up inside. We said not to bother, but they insisted. As it turned out, they had left the windows open overnight to stay cool. And one of the screens had this really, itty-bitty hole in it. But it was big enough to let in a swarm of mosquitoes. In the the middle of the night, they were swatting the little bugs against the walls and ceilings.

The screen was there to prevent what had happened. But my laxness had allowed it to deteriorate and no longer be effective. In a similar way, we can ignore our daily communion with the Lord by forgetting to pray and read His Word. Our defense against the world gets weak and allows its temptations into our heart. Be strong. "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped." (Psalm 28:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 18th 2022, 8:28 am

August 24

On one of our trips to Alaska to see our son and his wife, we rented an RV and traveled the back roads. This is an overwhelmingly beautiful state, most of it in pristine condition and unsullied by civilization. An RV can be fun, but it's even more fun if you don't pay much attention to the frightening numbers on the gas pump. After one of our stops, we piled back in and turned the ignition on. Nothing.

After trouble-shooting as much as we could with our limited knowledge, we called the RV company, and we were connected to one of their mechanics. After telling him what we'd done so far, he guided us to a panel under the floorboards, far away from where we'd been working. He then had us jerry-rig a couple of things, not quite chewing gum and baling wire, but close, and the engine started right up.

Our knowledge didn't get us far, and without a correcting fix, we weren't going another yard. Fortunately, there are those whose experience level enables them to help others in need. When it comes to living a life that is right and just, why not turn to the one who created us? "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty." (Job 5:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 19th 2022, 10:11 am

August 25

We were off the coast of Southern California, training with the SEAL unit that we would soon deploy overseas with. Special Boat Unit personnel were the ones who transported them on their boats, so they were getting the training, too. Their first boat was attached to our crane's lifting hook and at the side of the ship, ready to lower. Beside's the crane's cable, there were 3 other nylon lines used to keep it steady on the way down and in the water. But as we set them in the water, the boat crew released the lines in the wrong order, making for a couple of tense moments.

As the second boat and its crew was getting ready, we went over the line and hook releasing procedure again. "And the front sea painter is released last, right?!" We then lowered them...and they made the same error. This time, they didn't get off lucky. Without a sea painter on the bow, and still connected to the crane's hook, the boat turned sideways and rolled over, tossing the crew into the ocean. We recovered everyone safely and the boat, too. But it was done for the day and needed an overhaul.

Unless you've received extensive training in all kinds of conditions, mistakes can happen. In the heat of the moment, a single error can spark catastrophe. Training needs to be ingrained so that our responses are automatic and correct. So too, our responses to spiritual and moral decisions. "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." (1 Corinthians 14:40)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 21st 2022, 12:02 pm

August 26

My younger son and I were passengers on a fishing boat in Alaska, and the planned catch of the day was halibut. The waters were fairly well protected, so it didn't get too rough and make anyone sick. Our skipper reminded us that the limit was two halibut per person, and once landed, the fish were officially caught and counted against our total. We did have the option of letting a smaller one go and try our luck at a larger one.

As the day went on, the boat's well slowly filled up with halibut. My son and I ended up limiting for the day, with 3 of the 4 heaviest halibut, the best one topping out at 70 pounds. One of the ladies kept choosing to let go of her early catches, feeling that a bigger one would come her way. Unfortunately for her, she pushed her luck too far and ended up having to keep even smaller ones as her time ran out.

It's only human to think we can get something better if we keep trying, ignoring what we already have and being grateful for it. Jesus has the entire universe, and yet He knows when something is missing. And despite having everything else, he seeks that which is lost. "Then Jesus told them this parable; 'Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?'" (Luke 15:3-4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 22nd 2022, 9:27 am

August 27

We were getting a much-needed break from a few weeks at sea, and were now anchored off the coast of Sicily. I decided that our bridge wings could use a sprucing up, so we made up a list of things to do, which included a paint job. Even the deck needed help. But it turned out that whatever non-skid remained was reserved for flight deck repairs. For safety reasons, helicopters need a rough surface to avoid sliding around.

Wondering what to do, I remembered something from my wife's childhood home. Trying to make paint go further, her mother had added cornmeal, but the result was a very rough wall. I looked at the beach a thousand yards away and had an idea. Later, we were mixing sand with regular deck gray paint and applied it. It worked out pretty well.

As long as you live close to the sea or a desert, sand is one of those commodities that never seems to run out. It's used in numerous products, including glass. Where would we be without it? Imagine how Abraham must have felt when the angel of the Lord referred to sand. "I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore." (Genesis 22:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 23rd 2022, 8:20 am

August 28

I got off watch a little late and rushed to the wardroom to catch the last few minutes of dinner. Surprisingly, there were still a lot of people there. After I finished eating, I found out why. It was my birthday and a big sheet cake was brought out and placed in front of me. I waited patiently until all the candles were lit. There wasn't the traditional singing of the song, but I was still touched by the gesture.

For whatever reason, my mind told me to celebrate in a unique way. So I picked up the long cake knife, and wielding it in both hands, swung it like a samurai sword. In the blink of an eye, every candle went out, and I received a standing ovation.

My personality has never prompted anyone to call me the life of the party. I'm generally calm and measured, and not given to spontaneous action. So when I do step out of the box, it's rather noticeable. "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit." (Proverbs 15:13)

Update: From my posts in Culture Rot and the like, you may have gotten the impression that I'm angry, or at least deeply dismayed at what's going on out there. Well, you're right. But I'm working at staying positive and cheerful. After all, the Rapture cometh, and there's still more work to do.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 24th 2022, 11:21 am

August 29

So it was raining. Big deal. My wife and I had lived in Seattle before, so we were very well acquainted with it. Admittedly, it's a little different when you're in an Oregon forest and camping in a tent. We had rain gear, so it didn't slow us down for hikes and short drives to nearby attractions. Cooking outside was going to be a challenge, though. As we returned to our campsite, the rain magically stopped. Making lunch was a breeze and we enjoyed eating a hot meal, even while standing up because all the chairs were wet.

And just as we finished, the rain started back up again. The exact same thing happened at supper time. As soon as we reached into our containers for pots and pans, the rain stopped. And after we finished eating, the rain started up again. Coincidence is coincidence, but this happened for three straight days. Someone joked that we should just snack continuously, in the hopes that it wouldn't rain at all.

Some areas just naturally seem to get a lot of rain, like the Pacific Northwest. As the old joke goes, "People in Seattle don't tan, they rust." You just learn to live with it, otherwise you'd get nothing done. In this life, hard things will always come our way. What you do with them is entirely up to you. The choice is to let them control you, or ask for the Lord's help. "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matthew 5:45)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next