RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fighting Fire With Fire
by joecool Today at 9:58 am

» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool May 18th 2024, 8:26 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17131 messages in 1007 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 6 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool April 29th 2020, 2:46 pm

May 1

My ship was overseas during America's bi-centennial year, and every sailor received a special certificate (which one day I'll frame). We arrived at an Italian port on a payday, so we all had a chance to fill our pockets before riding the liberty boat in. Going through the pay line, many of us were given a surprise...crisp two-dollar bills, new to American currency.

Hitting the beach, many sailors would go straight to the cambios, little booths where dollars could be converted into the local currency. I heard later that night that sailors were getting twenty dollars' worth of Italian lira for each of the new notes. Those manning the booths assumed that they were twenty dollar bills.

I'll give the sailors the benefit of the doubt for accepting the overpayment. Two-dollar bills mixed in with other denominations for conversion would not likely have been noticed. But there are other kinds of mistakes that are more obvious, especially to Christians. "Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins." (James 5:20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 29th 2020, 5:02 pm

May 2

On one of our trips to northern Arizona, we took a side excursion to Slide Rock State Park. Unique geologic features produce an invigorating treat for those who visit. A large creek's water flows over enormous sheets of rock, sometimes opening up to form large pools of calmer water. We watched people of all ages slide down, never seeing a single person out of control. It seemed as if the water hydraulics were perfectly engineered for a fun time.

And we did have a lot of fun. Fortunately, we had done a little reading ahead of time. As smooth as the rocks were, repeated runs down the slide would shred normal swimming attire. We were wearing jean cut-offs and you could still see the wear at the end of the day.

Having fun in a physical way is enjoyable, and we all go out of our way to find more opportunities. But honestly, it doesn't compare to the enjoyment we'll all feel when we leave our physical limitations behind. " There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells..." (Psalm 46:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 29th 2020, 8:59 pm

May 3

My wife and I were returning from a long mid-West trip, which had its ups and downs. Our credit card had been compromised, so we were squeezing dollars to make it home. We skipped a hotel and soft bed, steeling ourselves for a long night of driving. But halfway through the mid-watch, we were done and couldn't continue anymore. In the middle of nowhere, we saw a rest stop up ahead and pulled in under the bright parking lot lights, the only car there.

I just couldn't get comfortable in the front seat, so I started to rearrange our hatch-back's cargo. There was just enough room on top of the boxes to lay down. Moments later, another car pulled in and parked right next to us. The occupants turned on their radio full blast for several minutes. Not being able to take it any longer, I tried to get out of the car to make them stop. But the madder I got, the less progress I made. And just like that, the other car drove off.

Had I gotten out quickly, it probably wouldn't have gone well. It was a free lesson, I think courtesy of the Lord. "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." (Proverbs 29:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 30th 2020, 9:30 am

May 5

My ship was moored at Yokosuka Naval Base and it was my first time in Japan. As I always did, I wandered aimlessly through town, avoiding tourist areas and sailor-aimed attractions. Even back then, real estate was expensive and creatively used. For example, I discovered that supermarkets were in the basement of tall office buildings. Taking the escalator down to one, I found that I could recognize much of the canned and dry goods.

Ending up in the produce section, I started to feel hungry. Fruit seemed especially attractive and my eyes settled on a wide variety of apples. I was drawn to one particular choice, where each of the red fruits was nestled in its own foam net. Checking the local price, I did some mental math and discovered that each apple cost about $5...and this was in 1981! I just had to find out what a five dollar apple tasted like. And after eating it, I felt that the cost was justified. I wished I could send one home.

We all like finding something new that we enjoy, and want to share it with others when possible. How much more important is it when it lasts forever? "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise." (Proverbs 11:30)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 3rd 2020, 10:04 pm

May 6

My high school buddy and I often drove into the mountains east of Seattle to explore. On one outing, we decided to do a little cross-country hiking to test our orienteering. On the one hand, you can save a lot of distance and time. But there's always an element and doubt and stress that comes with it. The final leg of our journey promised to save us a couple of miles by avoiding switchbacks, so we checked our compasses and headed out.

Our destination was a fire road, and we weren't coming across it as quickly as we thought. Doubt crept in until we stepped through the endless trees and onto the fire road. We smiled at each other and then looked to the left as something caught our attention. Our smiles disappeared as we saw a bear step onto our road. He was less than 100 feet away, a distance that could be covered in seconds. We froze in place and the bear started running...in the opposite direction. He was more scared than we were.

Perhaps the outcome would have been different if I was by myself. Common sense should tell us that there are places where a single person should never go. But if the situation demands it, lean upon the Lord. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God." (Isaiah 41:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 4th 2020, 4:19 pm

May 7

While on a family visit to Alaska, we were on a guided bus tour of Denali National Park. The views were incredibly impressive and the wildlife plentiful. Sitting in the back of the bus wasn't too bad. Those sitting over the tires felt every bounce, so I didn't envy them. The mountain roads were also narrow, just wide enough for two vehicles to pass. Although car drivers must have held their breath.

Just as we turned one corner, our driver spied a couple of grizzly bears below us. Maneuvering the bus to give us a better view, he backed up until his rear tires were on the edge. I leaned over to look down, but not at the bears. My seat was well past the road's edge, and I was looking at a drop of over a hundred feet. "Move the bus," I silently prayed. "Everybody put your cameras down so the driver can move the bus."

I knew that the driver was a professional and had likely performed the maneuver countless times. But it was impossible for me to relax and put all my trust in him. Not so in my relationship with the Lord, as I encounter circumstances beyond my control. "Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture." (Psalm 37:3
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 8th 2020, 9:40 am

May 8

We were on a rare trip to the beach, since my family preferred going in the opposite direction where the mountains were. But old friends were in town and they wanted to see the ocean. So we loaded up the cars with food and recreational diversions and headed out. But I've never, ever been one to just sit on the beach and soak in the rays. So I jumped up when a football game was suggested.

We divided into teams and began play. It's pretty hard to get up any speed when playing in sand, so I figured the risk of getting hurt was pretty low. Up until the other Dad drove his knee into my ribcage. Yeah, that hurt. I found an excuse for leaving the game, not letting anyone know I was injured. I was done for the day and had to nurse it for a long time before it healed up. Almost 3 months, in fact.

I was in pain for playing a sport where pain is a normal part of the game. In a similar way, life as a committed Christian is going to bring a certain amount of pain. Play through it. "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." (1 Peter 4:12-13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 8th 2020, 10:08 pm

May 9

Dad walked into our bedroom and told us it was time to buy a boat. So we went to the bank to withdraw all our paper route savings and went down to Seattle's Lake Union. Our boat was out of the water on skids, so we had a perfect view of this project. Built of wood in 1932, even a couple of young teenagers could tell it needed an awful lot of work. As we paid the old salt for the boat, he said we'd never have much luck with it.

After several weeks, we had repaired an area of the keel suffering from wood rot and completely re-caulked the boat. The latter involved hammering cotton into the gaps between the wood strakes. When the boat was ready to launch, the old salt fired up his crane and put slings around the hull. He lowered the boat into the water, but left the slings in place, as he thought our repairs would fail and the boat would take on water. But there wasn't a single drop in the bilge. There were so many more things that needed attention before we could get the boat underway on its own power, but it was a good restoration first step.

Years of spiritual neglect can turn us into a shell of what we once were. Be on guard and daily acknowledge your love for the Savior. "Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (Psalm 51:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 9th 2020, 10:58 pm

May 10

I happened to be working in the back yard when my neighbor got my attention. Walking through the pine trees separating us, I could see something in the tall grass as I approached. We both stood there for a while, looking at the sight. It wasn't every day you saw the carcass of a freshly-killed deer.

We walked around, looking for any clues as to what had attacked the deer, but the ground was too hard. All we could do was wrap up what was left and haul it away. From time to time, we'd all seen neighborhood dogs chase deer, but these pets were way too slow to catch anything wild. No, this deer was likely killed by a mountain lion.

Just as there are natural predators in the world, there are supernatural ones as well. Satan constantly prowls, looking to devour an unprepared and unprotected soul. Ask the Lord to stand before you. "You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." (Psalm 32:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 10th 2020, 9:29 pm

May 11

We had an hour and a half break until the next ship came in, not enough time for my tugboat to return to Treasure Island. So the harbor pilot said, "Let's go under the Golden Gate Bridge." I hadn't been out that far before, so I turned the tug and aimed for the center. It took a good half hour to reach it, and we leaned out the wheelhouse windows to see the bridge pass overhead.

Immediately, the calm waters of the bay gave way to tall ocean swells that seriously dwarfed my 109-foot boat. We pitched and rolled in the confused seas, falling into troughs that swallowed us from view. Without waiting for the pilot to say anything, I turned the tug around and "raced" back into the bay.

Calm seas are preferred by mariners, who recognize the dangers presented by turbulent waters. And just as vessels can be damaged or sunk by the sea, people can likewise suffer in the presence of a dangerous environment ashore. Watch for and avoid them. "But the wicked are like the tossing sea, which cannot rest, but whose waves cast up mire and mud." (Isaiah 57:20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 12th 2020, 8:32 am

May 12

Right outside town up on a hill was a county park. To make it a little harder on our group of boys, we left the vehicles at the bottom and hiked up with all our gear. It took us about an hour to get all the tents set up and everything put away. We were just about to give the boys some free time when one of our men backed up from some sagebrush and said the dreaded word. A couple of minutes later, the park ranger was at our site with a long pole and a box.

The ranger's job was to relocate the rattlesnake to another area, but the snake made it hard on him. He repeatedly grabbed the reptile, but it refused to cooperate, fighting back and sinking fangs into its own flesh. By the time he finally got the snake into the box, the ranger shook his head and said, "He's a goner." And when it was time to turn in that night, I decided to sleep on top of a picnic table, the only one to do that. It was a long and uncomfortable night.

The snake was an unfortunate victim of its own venom. Although it's to be avoided, there are other things that are just as toxic to our health. Oftentimes, social media is turned into a platform from which to attack others. Resist the temptation to participate. "...but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." (James 3:8 )

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 13th 2020, 9:02 am

May 13

When we found out that our next liberty port would be Mombassa, Kenya, we studied the charts. Our only option was to secure ourselves to a series of mooring buoys in the river. A "Mediterranean Moor" is never easy, and this one was going to be complicated by the current, our 600-foot-plus length, no tugboats, and our need to turn 180 degrees. During the next few weeks, we made time to practice at sea, launching boats and taking mooring lines out to imaginary buoys and more.

All the practice paid off. On the day of our arrival, there were hundreds of locals on the riverbanks watching us. As the last lines and anchor chain were in place, we all relaxed and listened to the shoreline applause.

Very few things in life can be accomplished by oneself. Big things require a lot of coordination and cooperation with others. Really big things can be accomplished when we work within God's plan. "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." (Hebrews 6:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 14th 2020, 8:41 am

May 14

My tour on my first ship was ending after 4 and a half years, and I was ready to move on. It was time for a new challenge and more responsibility, and my next station was definitely going to give it to me. But first I had to say my goodbyes. Onboard ship, it was easy. A few jokes, some handshakes and back slaps, and I walked down the accommodation ladder for the last time. But there was one more goodbye.

My chief had invited my wife and I to his house for a meal. We shared sea stories with the ladies, some of which they believed. But after a great evening, it was time to leave and hit the road for a cross-country drive. "Fair winds and following seas," said my chief. A final handshake, which turned in to a hug, and we were gone. And my eyes were moist for a few miles. If you're out there, QMC Michael Hughes, thank you. You were my professional mentor and I learned a lot from you. A lot of credit for my follow-on success goes to you.

Jesus is the ultimate mentor, telling us and showing us the best way to live our lives. The results are easy to see, an unbroken and ever-growing testament of service to the Father, and by extension, mankind. "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it..." (2 Timothy 3:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 15th 2020, 4:18 pm

May 15

On my last ship as an enlisted man, my wife served as the ombudsman during an overseas deployment. Hand-picked by the ship's captain, she served as a link between himself and all the families back home. She kept the information flow going and met any needs that came up. Mind you, this was back in the days of snail mail and telegrams.

One of the benefits was that I was allowed to use the ship's "credit card" to call my wife at each port we were in. We passed updates back and forth, so it was all business, but it still felt great to hear her voice. On another cruise without this benefit, I called her from Australia. Not caring how much it would cost, we stayed on the line for a full hour. Back in the mid-80s, we estimated that the cost would be a hundred dollars. But it never showed up on our phone bill.

What an unexpected blessing that was. Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35) Certainly, Jesus is talking about the benefits of our giving more than what we receive. But what also comes to my mind is how blessed Jesus must be for continually giving to us.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 15th 2020, 11:05 pm

May 16

I had just awakened in the VA hospital after minor surgery. A nurse was my first visitor, taking vital signs and saying that I should be going home the same day. So I relaxed and started to read a book. Not long afterwards, the hospital's chaplain stopped by. We had a nice conversation across a wide range of subjects, and then he got up.

"Chaplain, before you leave can I pray for you?" His lower jaw visibly dropped and he was momentarily speechless. After I finished, he prayed for me. And we were both blessed by the moment. Chaplains, pastors and priests have answered the call that God has placed on their lives. Those of us who have other callings can sometimes forget that they need caring encouragement as well.

Take the opportunity to bless one soon. "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. (Proverbs 3:3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 17th 2020, 9:51 am

May 17

The first time it happened, I was puzzled for a few minutes. I had walked around the garage and notice the garbage can was tipped over. It was one of those plastic commercial-style bins, which were too heavy to be blown over by the wind. What a mess. Trash was all over the place, and the worst job was cleaning up the berry pulp. The previous night, my wife had made a lot of jam. And then it hit me.

Although I couldn't find any tracks on the hard ground, I realized that a bear had visited us. And it happened again a year later. The only times the garbage can was ever knocked over was when it had berry pulp. If it was just regular garbage, the bear would turn its nose up and move on.

Just as a bear's nose can lead it to a desirous outcome (for him, anyway), our own actions can attract notice, too. "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." (2 Corinthians 2:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 18th 2020, 8:39 am

May 18

Remember my Italian Laundromat story? Since I was now a born-again Christian, I felt that my girlfriend would agree to marriage. But I was overseas and didn't want to wait several months to ask her. No cell phones, Skype, Face Time or even internet existed then. So I wrote my proposal in a letter, dropped it into the mail slot onboard ship, and waited. And waited. There's a reason why it's called "snail mail."

But at least it wasn't like a bygone era when letters, IF they got through, might take months to arrive. As it was I only had to wait two weeks for a response. My hands were trembling a little as I raced through the written lines, looking for the one-word answer.

My heart was lifted up that moment, and for every day over the next 44 years. A fellow sister in Christ, she became my wife who has been with me every step of the way, whether we've physically been together or apart. My prayer is that you allow the Lord to help you find someone as perfectly matched. "You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes..." (Song of Songs 4:9)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 19th 2020, 9:34 am

May 19

After getting out of my truck at the base's Navy Exchange parking lot, I stepped into a crosswalk to enter the store. I caught motion out of the corner of my eye and slowed down. Here came a car, oblivious to my presence. I stopped in mid-stride to avoid being hit and as it passed by, I knocked on the trunk just to let him know how close he had come. I shook my head and started shopping inside.

And that's when two base policemen approached me. They said that a driver was outside and accusing me of trying to damage his car. Explaining what had happened, they then looked at each other, nodded and left. That was the last I saw of them. It felt good to be cleared, but I must confess that I carefully looked around for the car when I left.

It's important to live a life above reproach, so that our witness is not questioned. Jesus did the same, so that we could follow His example. "He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit..." (1 Timothy 3:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 19th 2020, 9:47 am

May 20

Throughout the winter months, we sit by the window and drink hot chocolate. But we spend time out in the snow, too. Except some of our guests. We generally don't see much of them during warmer months, but once the temperatures drop, they find a way to move inside and get comfortable. And their smell? One of the reasons why we don't like these guests.

Stink bugs. Native to Asia, they hitchhiked to America in 1998 and have been spreading ever since. They're here to stay, and causing damage at the same time. They love to nibble on a variety of plants, including vegetables. They eat just enough to make tomatoes unappetizing. They're kind of like a slow-motion Egyptian plague. If only there was a way to get even.

Throughout history, many people groups have made insects a part of their normal diet. Even John the Baptist partook of them. "His food was locusts and wild honey." (Matthew 3:4) Not all insects are edible, though, and perhaps God gave the stink bug an extra characteristic to make sure we stayed away from them.

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 19th 2020, 10:01 am

As on any military installation, some of the service members are married and live in town, and most of the single ones live on base. At Treasure Island, outside of San Francisco, we read a notice that said "Everyone", even the married ones, had to work for a couple of Saturdays to clean up the bachelor's quarters, a high-rise building with hundreds of rooms. It had been neglected in recent years and everyone had to turn out.

Two of our went to the office of our officer-in-charge to complain, but he never let us say a word. "See you on Saturday. Get out!" As we walked away in the hallway, my brain quit working and I punched right through the wall. My OIC was surprised to find out that I had done it and graciously allowed me to repair the damage with no further consequences. The next day, we found out that the Saturday work days were cancelled.

It turned out okay for me, but I wouldn't recommend that you follow my example. Peter once let his anger get the best of him, and his story might have ended prematurely. But Jesus interceded as only He could. "Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear." (John 18:10) "But Jesus answered, 'No more of this!' And he touched the man's ear and healed him." (Luke 22:51)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 21st 2020, 10:35 pm

May 22

Muhammed Ali, one of boxing's greatest champions, developed a unique strategy in the ring. He would cover up and lean back against the ropes, inviting his opponent to throw scores of punches. It never really hurt him, but just wore out his opponent. In boot camp, my company commander may have learned from it.

During sports weekends, one of the events was a tug-of-war between companies. We were coached to just lean back on the rope, dig our feet in and hold our ground. The guys from the opposing companies would expend all their energy in pulling. At the right moment, our company commander would softly say, "Now", and we would pull the other guys across the line with ease.

Sometimes, behavioral ropes can entangle us to the point of despair. At that point, we need the ultimate company commander to help us. Even David found himself in a similar situation and called out. "Pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me, for you are my strength." (Psalm 31:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 22nd 2020, 10:27 pm

May 23

"So glad we work so well together!" And the ship's executive officer slammed my office door shut. One of my chiefs and I sat there wondering what was going on. We had just concluded amphibious operations, launching assault craft out the back of the ship. The XO's position during that time was up on the bridge, serving as a liaison between myself and the Captain. I'd been doing these kinds of operations for a few years now, but the XO was new to it.

I brought down a copy of the ship's instruction for amphibious ops, which included a checklist and a script of sorts. After carefully reading through it, I could see some fuzzy areas that might have led to confusion. Within an hour, I had rewritten the document and made everything crystal clear. I put it into his yeoman's basket and had another visit before lunch. This time the XO said "Thanks!" and quietly closed my door.

Whether written or spoken, the words that we choose to use are very important. They can convey what is important for the moment, or share timeless truths for eternity. "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless." (2 Samuel 22:31)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 23rd 2020, 8:12 pm

May 24

After a complete overhaul inside and out, our family's "new" boat was ready for some real cruising. Built in 1932, its original purpose was to smuggle Canadian liquor into America during the Prohibition Era. Twenty-eight feet long, narrow and fast for its day, it was definitely unique. In fact, it was built by the company that later made the first hydroplaning race boat. We took it out into Seattle's Lake Union and then down the ship canal.

At the other end were the Ballard Locks, where transiting boats would be enclosed and then the water level changed to match the salt water on the other side. It was a typical summer day, with a lot of people in the area watching boats come and go. Perhaps it was a little prideful, but I imagined everyone looking longer at our boat than others. It was the first of many trips. After joining the Navy, I was sad to find out that my parents had sold the boat.

Pride isn't necessarily a bad thing. Channeled correctly, it can lead to accomplishments that go far beyond yourself. "Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else..." (Galatians 6:4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 24th 2020, 10:55 pm

May 25

My fellow Sea Cadets and I were spending the weekend on a Coast Guard cutter in Seattle. We got to participate in pier side drills and help with the work. With us was a new guy, older than most of us. He was enjoying the experience as well and seemed to be a good fit with our group. However, one of the chief petty officers approached our unit's adult leaders and had a long conversation. Afterwards, our leader had the new guy pack up and then took him home. It was the last we ever saw of him.

It turned out that a couple of months previously, the new guy had talked his way onto the cutter. He had claimed to be a Canadian sailor who was out of money and needed a place to stay for the night. In the middle of a stormy evening, the coastguardsmen had generously put him up. But the storm wasn't the only bluster that night.

I don't know what the repercussions were for the young man, from his own parents or any authorities. I also don't know if he learned form this experience and was more truthful going forward. I do know that continual lies can take control of a person's life in short order. Scripture is full of warnings against it. "Do not lie to each other..." (Colossians 3:9)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 24th 2020, 11:06 pm

May 26

For years, I had envied those wearing "mountain man" coats at campouts. Yeah, they definitely kept people warm on the coldest nights. But they also drew the interest of boys, providing a way to open doors of ministry. These coats, called kapotes by French trappers, were made from blankets sold by the legendary Hudson Bay Company.

One day, while admiring my wife's new sewing machine, she asked what I would like her to make. And so I ordered that beautiful wool blanket and my wife labored over it with love. With big sleeves and a generous hood, it went past my knees. When it was finished, I hugged myself while wearing it and a big smile. The kapote was awesome and I looked forward to my next campout. That first night in the woods was pretty cold, but I was warm and toasty. Then I noticed a boy wearing a too-light jacket for the weather. I sighed and let him wear my kapote that night. But I was still smiling.

Jesus taught us to meet the needs of others, but not only for those whom we like. It's much, much harder to help those we don't care for, but Christ modeled what we should do. "And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who asks of you." (Luke 6:29-30)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next