RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool Today at 9:14 am

» The Next Domino To Fall
by Claymore Today at 2:02 am

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17111 messages in 1005 subjects

Book of the Month Club

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Book of the Month Club - Page 2 Empty Re: Book of the Month Club

Post by joecool April 22nd 2023, 11:02 am

Claymore wrote: The Police Inspector, "I'm Shocked, Shocked to find that Gambling is going on here.".
Hotel staff to the Inspector, "Your winnings, sir.".
The XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, "Oh, thank you very much."

CIA, FBI, DNI, DHS, DOJ......... There, updated it.

After the disastrous Bay of Pigs operation, JFK was contemplating disbanding the CIA, saying that his desire was to "splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the winds..."

Is that why...

"Let me tell you. You take on the intelligence community - they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you." (Chuck Schumer - D)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 22nd 2023, 2:33 pm

I was an Intel NCO on our Special Forces Detachment.

But we did much smaller, less nefarious things......

...........like bribe the Chief of a local village,

or topple small governments.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 22nd 2023, 3:33 pm

Claymore wrote: But we did much smaller, less nefarious things......

...........like ............

topple small governments.

What considerations played into "too big to fail?" (Asking for a friend.) Suspect
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 22nd 2023, 7:41 pm

joecool wrote:
Claymore wrote: But we did much smaller, less nefarious things......

...........like ............

topple small governments.

What considerations played into "too big to fail?" (Asking for a friend.) Suspect

Can you put the Operation into a Five Paragraph Op-Order?

Then.....

To quote the Post Office, "If It Fits, It Ships".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 1st 2023, 8:09 pm

This week's Supreme Court 1st Amendment decisions, while welcome, are just a bump in the road for leftists. They have control of pretty much everything else, and are already strategizing their next moves. Their self-envisioned "arc of history" wants nothing to do with our ark.

A senior editor at The Federalist released a book a couple of months ago, titled Pagan America: The Decline of Christianity and the Coming Dark Age. I probably won't buy it, as I don't need any convincing of what's to come. Interestingly, this editor seems to be walking away from the fight, moving to Alaska to homestead. Or perhaps he plans to continue from the relative safety of the wilderness.

But I did start another new book today, 781 pages of small font printing. It was written by an amazing man, whom the Catholic church bestowed sainthood on. Augustine wrote The City of God almost 1600 years ago. Yes, you read that right.

The Goths had sacked Rome and were beating their chests, saying that their gods had defeated Christianity. Augustine's book answered those claims, and it buoyed the demoralized Christians.

The barbarians are once again at the gate, although they are attacking from within, and not from another country. May we ask for and receive the same kind of strength that earlier Christians had.  

"For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come." Hebrews 13:14
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 July 4th 2023, 10:36 am

Amen
they are at the gates for sure.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 12th 2023, 9:28 am

Started reading a science fiction trilogy while on vacation, written between 1938-1946, a particularly dark time for humanity. The author is CS Lewis, the same guy who wrote The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. He was an amazing Christian apologist who found novel ways of getting theology into the people's hands.

The first book was relatively mellow, and the second book has begun in an alarming way. The title of the last book is That Hideous Strength. Not to be read on a dark and stormy night?

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 27th 2023, 4:43 pm

joecool wrote:Started reading a science fiction trilogy...The first book was relatively mellow, and the second book has begun in an alarming way. The title of the last book is That Hideous Strength. Not to be read on a dark and stormy night?

The first two books were enjoyable, recognizing symbols and their links to Biblical events of the past. But the third story...oh, my. Written so long ago, but prescient of today's problems: moral compromises, unrestrained evil, social control, engineered riots, spinning the narrative, arming the bureaucracy...and throwing Jesus under the bus.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 2nd 2023, 3:11 pm

I have not read The Great Dechurching, but perhaps I should. It was the cover story on the latest issue of Influence, the AG magazine for pastors and leaders.

The book is a deep dive into the condition of the American Church, and claims that 40 million adults (including 15 million evangelicals) have left over the last 25 years. "How did that happen?" is what the authors try to answer.

One factoid: During 2014, there was a net gain of 300 Protestant churches. In 2019, there was a net loss of 1500 Protestant churches! And that was before COVID came along. Here are a few paragraphs from the end of the magazine article:

"As millions leave the Church, we can't gloss over the fact that this changes the culture in which we live and will make some things harder for us. We may feel less at home in our own cities, but we can take heart that this has been and is still the norm for most Christians around the globe.

We refer to this situation as "cultural exile." From Daniel in Babylon to the persecuted members of the early Church, God's people have a long history of standing for biblical truth amid a culture that largely rejects it.
We can be the city on a hill without controlling Capitol Hill. And the reality is, having cultural power has not always gone well for Christians.

We can learn from our brothers and sisters in minority-Christian nations and the historic Black church in America. In seasons of exile and marginalization, the gospel has advanced powerfully, the faith of believers has been deepened, and God has strengthened His Church."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 9th 2023, 11:31 am

I'm reading When Faith is Forbidden, from The Voice of the Martyrs. Here's an excerpt from the author, who visited a Chinese pastor recently released from prison.

"Persecution is like fire," he told me. "I use the word like purify. If we want pure gold, we have to let it go through fire." He said that Christianity had become "cool" among Chinese people who thought of it as a Western religion, and thought all parts of Western culture were popular or cool.
"The blessing (of persecution) for the church is that when we are facing the difficulties, the serious believers will stay. So it doesn't matter what happens." Persecution leaves the church full of believers serious about their faith - serious enough that threats of arrest or physical pain can't keep them from meeting. Those who are there only because it's "cool" quickly fall away.

Wow. Here in America it took way less than that to fall away.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 7th 2023, 10:32 pm

Reading While Men Slept, by Dr L Nelson Bell. He was a medical missionary for many years in China, until WWII ended his ministry there. He brought his family back to the States, where his daughter married a young preacher named Billy Graham.

Written in 1970, he was very concerned about where the Church was going. Change some of the names and it reads like it was written this year. Half a century has gone by and not much has changed. I believe that his main point is that the Church's response to the enemies' challenges has been lacking the power and conviction of the Holy Spirit.

"Tolerance - tolerance to error - has been the watchword."
"Many remain silent hoping the tide will turn. Others are silent because their livelihood is at stake."
"The mainstream of Protestantism has been polluted by theologians who have willfully rejected faith in the complete integrity and authority of the Word of God. This lies at the source of all that has followed."
"How can the holiness of God be relative?"
"I see social engineering replacing the preaching of the simple Gospel."
"...the blindness and unconcern of the dominant segment of our society must be completely changed."
"The lawlessness that has entered our national life...can prove to be the moral cancer that will destroy our country."

And that's just from the first tenth of the book.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 7th 2023, 11:02 pm

Is this related to your Pathway studies?

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 8th 2023, 10:30 am

Claymore wrote:Is this related to your Pathway studies?

No, I saw the copy on a Christian bookstore shelf. The title comes from Matthew 13:24-25, "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 27th 2023, 12:37 pm

More from While Men Slept.

"Ordinary men had irresistible tools, and God worked a miracle. The same tools are available today, but they are too often neglected. In their place men use man-made devices that perish with their makers and those on whom they are used. The early disciples...

- Were imbued with the power of the Holy Spirit
- Were men of prayer
- Used the holy Scriptures to confirm their preaching
- Had a message
- Had no money."

It's time for Tool Time. Can I have a grunt out there?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

Reading the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, American Lion, which is about Andrew Jackson in the White House. A line from the book which include's words from the President:

As long as the government heeds the popular will, Jackson said, "the republic is safe, and it's main pillars - virtue, religion and morality - will be fostered by a majority of the people."

Our government is desperately short of those qualities. Alas, our people grow increasingly short, as well.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

ccm2361 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Just started reading Pagan America - The Decline of Christianity and the Dark Age to Come. It begins with a quote from the great English apologist, G.K. Chesterton...

"Some say it is impossible to return to the past; but the truth is that there is now nothing before us but the choice between two paths which both return to the past. We can return to some sort of Christian fellowship, or we can return to some sort of pagan slavery. There is no third road."

70+ years later, it's pretty evident which path mankind chose to take.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2