RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore Today at 1:00 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 May 4th 2024, 11:39 am

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17119 messages in 1006 subjects

Historical Antiques

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Historical Antiques - Page 2 Empty Re: Historical Antiques

Post by joecool March 3rd 2023, 8:26 pm

joecool wrote: Go to www.antiquebible.com.

I covertly found out what some of my pastor's favorite verses were. Went to the above site and was able to order a page with one of them from a 1597 Bible. "Only" $50, and I'll frame this one myself. Pastor's Appreciation Day is too far away to wait, and I appreciate him every day.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 14th 2023, 4:03 pm

On my recent trip to the Midwest, I stopped to browse an antique store. Behind glass, I noticed a naval captain's hat. No big deal, as I've seen hundreds. But I took a closer look at the tag hanging off of it. "I know this guy!"

Well, not personally. He was a a submariner during WW2 and I read all his books when I was a teenager. My wife let me buy it, and today I received a companion piece to go with it. An autographed copy of his most well known book - Run Silent, Run Deep. It was made into a movie starring Clark Gable.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 14th 2023, 8:45 pm

joecool wrote:On my recent trip to the Midwest, I stopped to browse an antique store. Behind glass, I noticed a naval captain's hat. No big deal, as I've seen hundreds. But I took a closer look at the tag hanging off of it. "I know this guy!"

Well, not personally. He was a a submariner during WW2 and I read all his books when I was a teenager. My wife let me buy it, and today I received a companion piece to go with it. An autographed copy of his most well known book - Run Silent, Run Deep. It was made into a movie starring Clark Gable.

Neat!

Did the store know what they had?

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 14th 2023, 10:07 pm

Claymore wrote:
joecool wrote: - Run Silent, Run Deep. It was made into a movie starring Clark Gable.

Neat! Did the store know what they had?

The owner of the hat was 1 of about 100 vendors with stuff on display. I didn't want to pay full price, so the store called the owner while I was standing there. Got a little reduction, plus the mannequin head the hat was on. I'll spray it haze grey. Or maybe it should be submarine black?

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 15th 2023, 4:30 pm

Personally, I'm a "grey" kind of guy.

Please put a note in it, describing its history, in case you pass, so that it doesn't get sold in an estate sale as miscellaneous naval paraphernalia.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 15th 2023, 5:00 pm

Claymore wrote: Please put a note in it, describing its history, in case you pass, so that it doesn't get sold in an estate sale as miscellaneous naval paraphernalia.

History's preservation is vital. Not only because we can learn from it, but also to appreciate what we owe to those who came before us.

In my research, after one stand out mission, I found that the author received the Navy Cross and his sub's skipper was awarded the Medal of Honor. In the signed book I bought, the author included a note to its recipient, pointing out that person's own contribution to history. He was a naval aviator who was the first to fly coast-to-coast, both ways, in the same day. History, indeed.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 15th 2023, 8:41 pm

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

(Theodore Roosevelt)

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

joecool likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 18th 2023, 7:03 pm

Just before my uncle (Col, USA, Ret) left, I gave him a few WW2 Life magazines that I never got around to framing. The covers got him excited. In today's mail, he surprised me with one featuring PT boat skippers. That's definitely going up on the wall. Inside, it seems like every article and ad has a military connection. Back then, we were united and all in.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Late last year, I finally finished two sets of Lincoln pennies. The last couple of coins cost a lotta coin, but it's a good feeling to be done with them. And a few weeks ago, I got the last Indian head cent that I needed. I asked the shop owner, "What now?" He disappeared and came back with another album that was maybe 10% complete. It holds every US coin ever minted, up until the Indian pennies. I'm tempted...but I better figure out what it will cost to collect everything before I jump in.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2