RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich Today at 2:34 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 2:01 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool Today at 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17117 messages in 1006 subjects

Project Based Christianity

2 posters

Go down

Project Based Christianity Empty Project Based Christianity

Post by joecool February 9th 2022, 12:39 pm

(Hear me out here. I'm not trying to develop a Rick Warren-type philosophy.)

Many, many years ago, not long after I started teaching, it came to me that kids needed a better-rounded education than textbooks could provide. So I started with simulated real estate projects and then moved on to ones in science and history. It gave them an opportunity to put into practice what they'd learned. National competitions followed, with some of my students winning, at least at the regional level. A decade in, I came across something "new" that the public schools were heavily investing in: Project Based Learning. What I'd been doing all those years now had a name. I'm largely out of the game now, but my school has spread what I started through all the grades. It's nice to see, especially the student enthusiasm.

After a certain amount of time teaching His disciples, Jesus sent them out in twos, encouraging them to put into practice what they had learned. And they definitely learned a lot during that time. Time for us to learn something from that example.

If you've read some of my posts in other threads, you know that I've bemoaned the lack of active participation by the younger men in our church. I've tried this and that, to no effect. Well, there's research out there that shows younger people want to feel like they're making a difference. After all, the culture has yelled "Change the world" at them for their whole lives. And whether they try to do that or not, reality eventually beats them down, and those that did quit trying. Of course, those with a little wisdom know that without Christ, our efforts are in vain. So we press on.

Projects. Perhaps these are a way to get the younger guys back into the game. The ladies have done this for years: prayer quilts, cookie plates for the neighbors, baskets for new mothers, etc. What could the guys do? A spring clean-up day at the nearby state park (already scheduled), light home repairs for seniors, cutting firewood for widows, etc? Perhaps these kinds of manly projects can serve as a catalyst for young men to realize that they can contribute to God's kingdom. The physical and social growth can lead to mental and spiritual growth. And perhaps some of them will agree to be mentored to take over as leaders in the church.

I can only pray.

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Project Based Christianity Empty Re: Project Based Christianity

Post by joecool February 15th 2022, 6:49 am

For a couple of years, I've recognized that I live in a Christian bubble. I don't have a single acquaintance who isn't a Christian. I'm super busy inside that bubble, but that doesn't quite cut it. There are an awful lot of people who need to hear the Good News.

So the wife and I finally did it. At 8 am today, we're supposed to join a birding club. We're told that most of the members are very liberal, but that's what we want, right? Did you catch it? "Supposed to join." We were told yesterday that we weren't welcome, because we're not jabbed.

Beyond irritating.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 16th 2022, 11:33 am

So, how’s that outreach to the Enlightened Left going?

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 16th 2022, 4:48 pm

Claymore wrote:So, how’s that outreach to the Enlightened Left going?

Actually, to tell the truth, I'm more concerned about lukewarm Christians. God makes the final decision, but what I see in the church alarms me greatly. I helped judge a home school science fair today. The conversation among some of us adults turned to public education. Someone mentioned "social promotion," which has greatly increased during this pandemic. "SP" is when students are pushed on to the next higher grade, even though they're clearly not academically prepared. And that's why there are so many illiterate high school graduates.

It got me to thinking about our churches. How many people just show up, sit down, and zone out, never doubting that they will be socially promoted to heaven? I don't think it's going to work out like that.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down