RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50?

3 posters

Go down

Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50? Empty Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50?

Post by joecool May 19th 2021, 6:20 pm

On Friday and Saturday of last week, we tackled a huge project - painting the exterior of the church and repairing the office building's deck. It was planned and announced a month ago, well-publicized and promoted as a challenge worthy of all. As expected, Friday's crowd was all retirees. On Saturday, the under-50 crowd contributed a single person. Ein, uno, one. And this has been going on for years, not matter what the need. That frustrates me to no end, as I know that we retirees only have so much gas left in our tank before we stay in our rockers on the porch. Who's going to do the maintenance, teaching, ministering, etc after that?

Shame on me for thinking this, but I had a mental picture earlier today of a Samson-like "jock", handsome and buff, but spiritually clueless until the end. Just imagine what Samson might have accomplished with a different attitude. Just imagine what our churches could accomplish with a different attitude. Okay, enough of that.

If you're a registered user on Ranger Chat, or just a guest, none of this likely applies to you. You bleed khaki. You Reach, Teach and Keep. You look forward to doing what you do. And I'm thinking you might have the same problem in your church.

HOW DO WE GET THE UNDER-50 CROWD TO DO MORE THAN SHOW UP ON SUNDAY MORNING?!

I will probably put together some kind of survey and post it on this thread. Feel free to comment beforehand.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50? Empty Re: Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50?

Post by ccm2361 May 29th 2021, 10:48 am

Tough question.
Our church only has 3 people under 50 (my 2 kids+1 man in his late 20's who is often out of town due to his job.)  all the rest of the younger folk have fallen away or drifted off to places where they don't preach the full Gospel. You know, just the soft & comfy parts. Not Working

So I don't know that I can offer any sage advice here, since our church seems even worse off. Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50? 2010033684

Many' of today's younger couples with children seem to be so wrapped up in activities. If you don't make church a priority your kids won't either.

Some are so into youth sports to the point they are almost slaves to sports. Starting their kids in sports at age 5 so they can get a leg up in the scholarship competition. Going to games or practices 6 or 7 days a week. I am not saying sports are bad, but some folks are obsessed with chasing scholarships. (my brother was like this with his kids-they had soccer games or practices 27-28 days a month.)

Some families I know with multiple children are constantly on the run to sports, dance or music lessons, 4H & more.

Some of the younger folk we used to have would show up every Sunday, but you never saw them at Sunday night prayer, church work days or Wednesday nights.

The enemy has been busy with our young people.

But how do we get them back?

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50? Empty Re: Hey, You! Yeah, You. Are You Under 50?

Post by Claymore May 31st 2021, 6:51 pm

You see it, wherever you go. You have 8% of the folks doing the work, and the other 92% won't even wipe off a table after a church supper.

I had the same thing at the American Legion. One member would cook supper every month: pork chops & potatoes, or chili, or stew. Everyone showed up to eat, and threw in their $5.00, but they were always short for kitchen clean-up.

After the meeting, I would help, so there would be the same 2 or 3 guys in the kitchen every month. It got to the point that I took rubber gloves to the meeting with me, because I washed dishes every month, and my hands cracked & bled, if I didn't have the rubber gloves.

After about 6 months of making every meeting, and washing dishes at each one, I was on the way out to a Legion meeting. I had my Legionnaire's cap on, was walking out the door, and said to myself, "I don't feel like washing dishes, tonight." I turned around, threw my cap on the table, stayed home, and haven't been to a meeting in two years.

Pastors to the same thing. They let the same folks do all the work, until they burn out.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 31st 2021, 10:00 pm

Claymore wrote: You see it, wherever you go.  You have 8% of the folks doing the work, and the other 92% won't even wipe off a table after a church supper.

We all have the same problem, and it's probably universal. Only when a church goes "mega" are there more workers to spread the load. But then again, mega-churches have their own problems. I don't mind working. Been doing that forever. But it sure would be nice to have company. Unfortunately, we are competing against the world's distractions, of which the number has been exponentially growing in the last 20 years. People are easily sucked (suckered?) into short-term busyness that just doesn't have any staying power or value.

Does anyone out there have a solution? Is there an out-of-the-box idea that has worked somewhere?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 1st 2021, 1:02 am

joecool wrote:
Does anyone out there have a solution? Is there an out-of-the-box idea that has worked somewhere?  

Well, if you don't have an ethical problem with "cloning", maybe we could get a blood sample from Mark Jones, & make a couple hundred more, like him.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 June 8th 2021, 9:38 am

Claymore wrote:Well, if you don't have an ethical problem with "cloning", maybe we could get a blood sample from Mark Jones, & make a couple hundred more, like him.

Say, that's a great idea goodjob

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum