RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 10:17 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by Claymore April 27th 2024, 2:02 am

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17114 messages in 1006 subjects

Merit Substitutions?

4 posters

Go down

Merit Substitutions? Empty Merit Substitutions?

Post by RangerJeff March 27th 2020, 5:29 pm

I have Adventure rangers in Alabama district who have completed all of the requirements for Silver Winter Camping save one, "Hike at least two miles using snowshoes or cross-country skis." There is no way that they can complete this requirement this winter. We've had no snow. Hiking with snowshoes or skis is a bit harder than just walking. Can I substitute another requirement in this one's place? It could be a longer hike in regular shoes, or I could ruin 2 tennis rackets or 2 ping pong paddles by tying them to their feet and making them walk the 2 miles. Maybe walking in slushy sand along the beach could count? This sounds ridiculous but I would like to find a solution so that they could earn the merit honestly.

What would you do in this situation?

Can you recommend a solution?

Thanks, Jeff

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Merit Substitutions? Empty Re: Merit Substitutions?

Post by joecool March 27th 2020, 8:17 pm

RangerJeff wrote:I have Adventure rangers in Alabama district who have completed all of the requirements for Silver Winter Camping save one, "Hike at least two miles using snowshoes or cross-country skis."  I would like to find a solution so that they could earn the merit honestly.

When I was in southern California, I organized a winter campout for 3 outposts. It was over 20 years ago, but we were working on some kind of winter survival merit. There were some areas of snow that I took advantage of, but there was no way we could finish each requirement following the letter of the law. So we improvised and modified, and gave the boys an experience that gave them a realistic challenge, which they met.

Seems to me that you could cut out some "snowshoes" from scrap plywood and let the boys lash them to their shoes. Two miles in those would be harder than the real thing.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 28th 2020, 12:18 pm

They will NEVER experience burning muscles on the inside of their thighs, like doing 2 miles in (regular or improvised) snowshoes.

signed: Claymore, SFODA 124 Alaska Exercise, January 1984.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RangerJeff April 2nd 2020, 12:48 pm

Maybe you could tell me what activity you would substitute for the snow travel if you had no chance for snow. The boys are honest and wouldn't want to cheat any other Ranger who had the opportunity to do it like it is written. I think I can trust the opinion of a retired detective who lived up north and possibly has hiked in snow for 2 miles a few times in his life. any suggestion?

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones April 5th 2020, 11:21 am

Find a sand dune and walk 2 miles in it. We don't do those winter survival merits here because we don't have the snow for it. I can tell you walking a sand dune would be a lot of work.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RangerJeff April 5th 2020, 1:11 pm

Thanks. Someone has suggested that to me already. I think the boys would be more willing to travel south to the beach than up north to a snowy landscape. Some of our leaders went to a Basic Class in Navarre, FL a few months a go. They said the beach was across the road from the A/G church. perhaps their Ranger group will let us sleep in the church for a few nights. Worth investigating.

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 5th 2020, 7:07 pm

I think that Mark has about the best idea.

With the current travel restrictions, it looks like it may be between June and August, before you can go anywhere.

Heck of a time to "punch out" your Winter Merit.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RangerJeff April 5th 2020, 10:04 pm

Thanks guys! We will try to work something out for the boys. I am assuming you meant walk in loose sand - not that hard stuff next to the surf. I also assume they would not need to wear anything special on their feet. I have walked on sand dunes and it is hard work!

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by RangerJeff April 25th 2020, 9:35 pm

I finally got some input from a few state commanders in the South about the problem of requiring snow shoeing in the Southern states. The Winter Camping requirement for snow shoeing for 2 miles will be earned by hiking 5 miles (no snow). It is felt that the energy expended and skill levels will be comparable. The merit is requiring a good effort to move around in bad conditions and hiking in the South in the heat will be a god substitute. One lesson learned: don't encourage Southern boys to earn Northern merits.

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 26th 2020, 10:08 am

RangerJeff wrote:  One lesson learned:  don't encourage Southern boys to earn Northern merits.

And the reverse as well. I never printed out the requirements for Gator Rasslin'.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RangerJeff April 26th 2020, 11:29 am

Yeah, I guess Snowboarding is not an option for us either.

RangerJeff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down