RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 May 4th 2024, 11:39 am

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17118 messages in 1006 subjects

November 2019 Thread

+2
ccm2361
RRCmdrBennett
6 posters

Go down

November 2019 Thread Empty November 2019 Thread

Post by RRCmdrBennett November 1st 2019, 1:44 am

New month new thread!

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

November 2019 Thread Empty Re: November 2019 Thread

Post by ccm2361 November 6th 2019, 10:44 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  snow Snowing

Its too soon!
I want a refund on summer & fall, they went by too fast. fire

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 6th 2019, 5:20 pm

I've had 18" of snow so far, but it's all melted away. Earlier snows than usual. Cursed global warming!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Stewart November 7th 2019, 2:47 pm

joecool wrote:I've had 18" of snow so far, but it's all melted away. Earlier snows than usual. Cursed global warming!
Just be Glad Al Gore was wrong!

Dave Stewart

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Stewart November 7th 2019, 3:01 pm

Trying to plan for Pinewood Derby dates for my outpost. went to SoMo website trieng to find dates for the dates of races for my District couldn't find any except District. wondering why so many churches do not Charter so they can participate outside their own church.

Confused!!
Dave Stewart
Mt Herman Baptist Church

Dave Stewart

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 7th 2019, 9:46 pm

Dave Stewart wrote:Trying to plan for Pinewood Derby dates for my outpost. went to SoMo website trieng to find dates for the dates of races for my District couldn't find any except District. wondering why so many churches do not  Charter so they can participate outside their own church.

Confused!!
Dave Stewart
Mt Herman Baptist Church

Dave,

Bless your heart.  You are 9 years older than me, and still hanging in there.

I think that there has been a "Perfect Storm" that has just about (but not completely) cut Rangers at the knees.  I have been with the Program for about 26 years, and witnessed many of the changes that you are seeing the results of.

I believe that 40% of the problem has been the glut of technology and entertainment for boys.  We are both old enough to remember, back in the 1940's, 50's, 60's, and 70's, that if there was an adult available to take boys camping, fishing, doing archery & target shooting, he would be drowned in boys looking for something to do (as the only kids' television shows were from 4:00 to 6:00 PM weekdays and on Saturday mornings).  Now, I ask where Billy is, and I am told that he decided to play video games at home.

Hey, if I could have sat in my living room and flown a jet fighter, I might have done that, too.

I think that 30% is from poor prior Leadership.  This includes outposts being financially "milked" by Springfield Headquarters.  I could mention several underhanded methods that were used, but one of the examples was to put pressure on outposts to purchase cases of overpriced hand sanitizer to sell as fund-raisers.  Of course, once Headquarters sold the cases, their profits went into Springfield and left the outposts on their own with an overpriced product that they had trouble recouping their investment from.

Also, programs, teaching materials, and uniform items would be changed with no prior notification to the outposts.  I had convinced a Church of God Pastor to go with Royal Rangers, rather than the Church of God's own Pioneers for Christ, as a more organized & a better financial investment insofar as uniforms and program materials were concerned.  The Church shelled out several-several hundred dollars in books, advancement patches, and District & Outpost patches for our small outpost of about 14 boys (which Gospel Publishing House was happy to sell, with no comment or warning that the materials would soon be obsolete).  Within 5 weeks, I attempted to order more uniform and text supplies, and was told, "No Longer Available".  We had completely outfitted a brand new Outpost, and were told that we had to purchase brand new patches and academic materials, as what we had purchased a month earlier were obsolete, and that GPH no longer supported them.

I had 2 tours in the Active Army.  My Active Army & Active Reserve Time was 22 years, and my total Time in Service for Retirement was 38 years.  If a uniform item was scheduled to be retired or replaced, the Army would give you a warning that the item had a "Replacement Date of January 1, 1978", so that you knew that it would be no good after that date.  Springfield elected to NOT use the same procedures to keep Leaders informed as the Military did, and that brings us to the last point.

And 30% was a former Administration completely throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater, being completely hostile to the tested method of using the Military Patrol System, ditching any terms that sounded too Military (the Senior Commander is now the "Outpost Coordinator"), and actually disrespecting any leadership experience that Commanders may have gained from Military Experience.

Commanders who had any questions about adapting to the new System were told that they were troublemakers, that they were acting in an unChristlike manner, and that they were not welcome in Royal Rangers.  The former National Commander (now "National Coordinator") when referring to his radical changes in the system, even declared, at the National Conference, to all District and Local Leaders, "Get on Board, or get Off the Bus".  Thee was in intended "Purge" of leaders who preferred the Traditional Royal Ranger Program to the "IPOD Generation Program.  

There was a former "Royal Ranger Forum" that was a Treasure Trove of knowledge and experience from Commanders from around the Nation.  But if any Commander brought up a question, or said that he is having difficulties with the "New Program" (not criticism: just asking for help), his post was deleted.  Only "Happy Talk" was allowed. No criticism or questions of the Administration.   About 7 or 8 years ago, that Forum went defunct, and as far as I know, the posts with the experience & advice from many many Commanders is lost.

So a huge percentage of the experienced leaders left.  

As for this Cat.  I ain't getting off of nothing.  I was in Vietnam, and back, when that "National Coordinator" was still crawling on all 4's.

And if I want to be a "Coordinator", I'll go down to the Senior Center and teach Water Aerobics.

And I ain't buying his overpriced book!

CLAYMORE
Senior Commander

Last edited by Claymore on November 7th 2019, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 7th 2019, 10:26 pm

Claymore wrote: So a huge percentage of the experienced leaders left...As for this Cat.  I ain't getting off of nothing...And if I want to be a "Coordinator", I'll go down to the Senior Center and teach Water Aerobics.

Ooo-rah! In my 30 years with RR, I saw the same...and feel the same. Certain Springfield bigwigs thought they knew a better way, and corporatized "Reach, Teach and Keep" into blah, blah, blah. But what hurt even more was all the time I wasted
"Breaking in the New Guy." My local pastor killed it off and then rode off into the sunset. I envy those who still have an outpost. I was not ready to hang up my khakis.

I'm still at it in different ways, though. Just adding my efforts to those of others, until the whole world hears.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 7th 2019, 10:32 pm

Joecool,

I use the "Special Forces Technique".

Teach What You Can, to Who You Can, with Minimum Money & Support.

As I said to Obama, when we learned that he was monitoring the posts of those "Dangerous" groups, like Veterans.

"You may know who I am, but you don't know who the ten kids that I'm training are...……….".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Stewart November 7th 2019, 10:58 pm

"Bless your heart. You are 9 years older than me, and still hanging in there."
I have found that since I have gotten back in there the boys are keeping me young!
I just got back home from our weekly meeting a little bit ago, and i enjoyed every minute of it. My first ranger meeting was sometime back in 1968 summer. today was just as exciting as back then!

The reason I wrote that was I was frustrated that i could only find that there was only one other church listed as a church active in my whole section. so this year no ranger derby. And i am working to get the boys in my outpost to be excited about being able to race against other rangers from other churches? not too sure it will happen!
Thanks for letting me vent!
I am thankful that Springfield has allowed, non AG churches to be able to use and be a part of Ranger program.

Dave
Sr. commander
Mt. Herman Baptist Church

Dave Stewart

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 7th 2019, 11:16 pm

Dave Stewart wrote:
I am thankful that Springfield has allowed, non AG churches to be able to use and be a part of Ranger program.

Dave
Sr. commander
Mt. Herman Baptist Church

Hey. Even with the Watering Down over the past years, it's still the best program of its kind.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 13th 2019, 5:39 pm

You absolutely, positively, without a doubt MUST see Midway, a movie just out. It couldn't cover everything in a couple of hours, but it is a no-nonsense, non-PC, historically correct rendering of the Pacific War's turning point. (And it stars the Navy.)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 17th 2019, 2:56 pm

Man, you had me hooked...…………

………………………...until the last line.

Any Paratroopers?

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 20th 2019, 1:27 pm

Claymore wrote: Any Paratroopers?

Back in the day, naval aviators tended to ditch into the ocean. One of the Midway side-stories involves Ensign Gay, who was treading water right in the middle of the battle's climax, witnessing the destruction of 3 Japanese carriers.

My wife and I put in many days helping my LEO son fix up their old house for sale. They got 4 offers in the first 24 hours. That's good for my resume. So if any of you need help doing a remodel..........

...........don't call me. I'm tired. Besides, now we help him update the new home.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 26th 2019, 4:43 pm

To all my Ranger friends, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. And if you're a trucker, I sure hope you get to spend it at home.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 November 27th 2019, 10:09 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Thumbs up

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 29th 2019, 11:13 pm

On the day after Thanksgiving, my town always has a Parade of Lights. This year's theme was "Hometown Helena...Past, Present, Future." So I got some people at church together and we put together a float called "The 3 Montana Wise Men." Live manger scene with a mountain man, contemporary rancher, and a futuristic guy. Ten degrees and snow during the parade, but it didn't stop the crowd from showing up.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 30th 2019, 8:08 am

Hi Dave. I agree with most of what was said in these posts. So. MO used to have 450 cars show up for Ranger Derby Racing (pinewood derby) in 1999. Having attending every race in the SW Section to Division Races in Somo since then in somo we still have 120 cars roll through. (I am sure I missed a race or two in that time but not many. If you need a track to race with we can probably get something to you. What we need is outposts that will go the distance now. So many folk are arm chairing and have also learned that it's a whole lot easier to push that remote button and switch channels when it's not convient any more. Today I am heading out on a backpacking trip with 3 Ranger leaders exploring a new trail to take RR on. 2 weeks ago Friday night we had a wild time in Rangers. Report and pictures at this link.

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2019BowersBackpack/2019BowersBackpack.htm

That same thing that took place in 1985 is still happening today in many outposts. I have learned when I point there is always 3 fingers pointing back at me all the time....sometimes I just have to quit pointing a finger and lend a hand and get it done. God's still blessing and were still seeing souls saved and I am currently working to Reach, Teach and Keep boys for Christ as well as Equipping and Empowering and all that other new age sidewinder teachings...GRIN! I don't like change. Yet some of it has been good. Bottom line is we can still do Royal Ranger Ministry. The recent program changes are fixing some of the stuff that was broken. It's not perfect but seldom anything man has a hand in is. I just bought a BRAND NEW 16x16 Marqeee FCF tent cost 2800.00 I didn't buy it for me. I bought it for the boys. Just a tool I can use to speak Jesus into these folks lives. Rangers allows us to do that. I want to challenge each of you to quit pointing fingers (I am guilty as well so don't get mad at me)have a heart change and extend that hand to help. Jesus never quit and we shouldn't either. WHAT EVER IT IS YOU CAN DO do it as unto the Lord!

Dave Stewart wrote:Trying to plan for Pinewood Derby dates for my outpost. went to SoMo website trieng to find dates for the dates of races for my District couldn't find any except District. wondering why so many churches do not  Charter so they can participate outside their own church.

Confused!!
Dave Stewart
Mt Herman Baptist Church
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 30th 2019, 6:30 pm

Mark Jones wrote:  God's still blessing and were still seeing souls saved and I am currently working to Reach, Teach and Keep boys for Christ as well as Equipping and Empowering and all that other new age sidewinder teachings...GRIN! I don't like change.  Yet some of it has been good.  Bottom line is we can still do Royal Ranger Ministry.  The recent program changes are fixing some of the stuff that was broken.  

I must admit that, even though it chafed me at the time, a couple of things have made it easier for me. One is the availability of T-Shirts as an informal uniform, rather than the full regalia for meetings. I like the full uniforms better, but the outpost was purchasing them, and boys were not returning them, when they left. Now we keep them in the Ranger Room for Formal Occasions and Ceremonies.

Another is the change in the Bible Awards. I still feel that it gave a better "projection" to show boys with patches for Genesis, Exodus, etc., but when it is time for an awards ceremony, it is a whole lot easier to just take the number of meetings that a boy has attended, divide it by 8, & award the patches, rather than try to chase down everyone who had missed a meeting, to make up a lesson for a Bible Merit.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 1st 2019, 7:34 am

I like it that we can teach Bible and get credit for it. I generally count 6 meetings and add 2 from campouts and other events and sunday school stuff the boys attend. WE are teaching the Leadership merit right now. I do 2 lessons in a row on wed nights and then throw in a lesson on Orenteering then 2 lessons on Leadership in a row. Being able to count the wed nights they attend and knocking out the lessons one at a time to count for a leadership merit is working well in this hip hop I attend this week but not next week society we live in. We can just teach enough of of the leadership merit stuff to get them into FCF for now.

We did the leadership in my last outpost on a ALL Day Sunday event. I didn't like that format and it made it a drudgery as it was tooooooooo long of classroom stuff. We did it but not many liked it. The boys soon figured us out on it and our numbers dropped in half the next time we did it. It was just too long of a day. It could work better if we broke it in half and taught on 2 different half days.

These changes were good. I wished they would do the same for skill merits. So we could teach the same merits over and over again. Just give them credit for teaching a merit lesson and after you taught 8 lessons you counted it as a completed blue, red, green, sliver merit. Just like the Bible merits. WE could teach the merits we like to teach and the ones the boys enjoy and get good at something again. It would bring back some of the good stuff we had in the pre 2000 era.

They did bring back the cut and chop card back. I was still doing it every year for pow wow and had 1/3 of our camp doing it each year as well for the past several years. So am glad to see they brought back repeatable tool safety. There are a lot of things we can do better at but it's still a great program.

Mark Jones

Claymore wrote:
Mark Jones wrote:  God's still blessing and were still seeing souls saved and I am currently working to Reach, Teach and Keep boys for Christ as well as Equipping and Empowering and all that other new age sidewinder teachings...GRIN! I don't like change.  Yet some of it has been good.  Bottom line is we can still do Royal Ranger Ministry.  The recent program changes are fixing some of the stuff that was broken.  

I must admit that, even though it chafed me at the time, a couple of things have made it easier for me.  One is the availability of T-Shirts as an informal uniform, rather than the full regalia for meetings.  I like the full uniforms better, but the outpost was purchasing them, and boys were not returning them, when they left.  Now we keep them in the Ranger Room for Formal Occasions and Ceremonies.

Another is the change in the Bible Awards.  I still feel that it gave a better "projection" to show boys with patches for Genesis, Exodus, etc., but when it is time for an awards ceremony, it is a whole lot easier to just take the number of meetings that a boy has attended, divide it by 8, & award the patches, rather than try to chase down everyone who had missed a meeting, to make up a lesson for a Bible Merit.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down