RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool May 8th 2024, 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 7 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool May 24th 2020, 11:15 pm

May 27

In the Navy, there's a relentless program called the Planned Maintenance System. Each day, week, month, quarter and year, equipment is scheduled for checkups and work. Although it takes up a lot of a sailor's time, it's better than running gear until it breaks. Each checkup has multiple steps to follow, all listed on a card. At the top is a warning to follow all the safety precautions in a certain book that is hundreds of pages long. I soon discovered that nobody really looked at that book, so I came up with an idea.

Little by little, I reviewed those hundreds of pages and wrote down the applicable page numbers onto the maintenance cards. The sailors doing the checkups then found it easy to look up the safety precautions before starting their work. It seemed like such a no-brainer, I was surprised no one had thought of it earlier. And rather than just keep it to my crew, I wrote an article that was published in the Navy's safety magazine.

In the routine of life, we can sometimes ignore those small things that we ought to do. But it's only a matter of time before it leads to ruin. "But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently, and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great." (Luke 6:49)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 29th 2020, 12:36 am

May 28

During a deployment to Central America, we made numerous stops at the naval base close to the Panama Canal's western end. There wasn't too much to do there, but it was still a nice break from being onboard ship. On my first walk around, I was caught in the heaviest rainstorm I'd ever encountered. Out of nowhere, it hit and hit hard, and places to take shelter were few and far between. After a couple more visits, I recognized a pattern.

Every day, between noon and 12:30, you could count on this rainstorm letting loose. The way I figured it, a few hours of tropical sunlight were all it took to evaporate enough moisture, which then condensed into storm clouds, thanks to the cooler ocean air that moved in. After that, I kept an eye on the clock and made sure I wasn't too far away from shelter.

We count on the arrival of clouds and the life-sustaining water that they bring. Even more so, we look forward to the time when clouds bring something even more powerful. "At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory." (Luke 21:27)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 29th 2020, 12:50 am

May 29

I was in a van with other sailors, on our way to a camp within view of Mount Kilamanjaro. We were on our way to an overnight safari, armed only with cameras. Travelling down the lonely highway, our tour guide slammed on the brakes and pointed into the trees. "Elephant!" And sure enough, there was a bull moving between the trees...on his way to the elephant graveyard. This pathetic-looking beast hardly seemed worth a picture, but then I saw something else.

A monkey had come over to our vehicle and was begging for a snack. The window was already open, so the guy next to me threw out a single Vanilla Wafer. The monkey bit into it and clearly loved the cookie, and his antics were rewarded with more. But then the monkey jumped up onto the window sill, and then onto my neighbor's lap. He reached up and grabbed the whole box, staring down my friend and seemingly daring him to do something about it. A moment later, the monkey was back on the ground, running away with the whole box under an arm.

My friend didn't have much choice in his generosity towards one of God's creatures. But we always have a choice when it comes to helping out our neighbors who are in need. "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." (Proverbs 22:9)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 30th 2020, 8:48 am

May 30

I had just been selected for promotion to Chief Petty Officer, which is a defining moment in any enlisted man's career. But first there was a customary initiation that would last for weeks. It ended with a final, hours'-long party, though the one getting initiated might not enjoy it that much. At least I was allowed to wear a costume of my choice for the party, and in the days leading up to it, my wife helped me to make it. One thing I didn't have a choice on was the location of the party. I didn't drink alcohol and let the Command Master Chief know it.

So there I was on the appointed day, standing in front of the other chiefs and wearing a Viking outfit, complete with a helmet that had horns coming out of it. I went through a lot of humility-building events and was eventually allowed to clean up and get into my new uniform. And perhaps breaking a long-standing tradition, all my fellow chiefs toasted me with a non-alcoholic drink.

Because of who we are, it's only natural for a person to feel puffed up when receiving an honor, especially when receiving it through hard work and accomplishments. But it's healthy to be reminded from time to time of our real position in the big scheme of things. "The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor." (Proverbs 15:13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 31st 2020, 10:07 am

May 31

Mid-deployment, our ship was anchored off the coast of Oman, next to Masirah Island. Our helicopters were bringing in fresh supplies from the small air base there. I had just finished turning over my responsibilities to the new department head, so I was headed home. I was packed but had to make room for a great-looking plaque given to me by my men. With that done, I grabbed my things and headed for the flight deck.

The ship's Executive Officer had also just turned over his duties and was already waiting for the same ride out. Finally, our helo arrived and we got in with our gear. It was a little dark inside, but I could see enough to tell that the XO's expression was still as grim as ever. But as our aircraft rose off the steel deck, I could see a big change. In the dark, I could see a smile that Alice's Cheshire cat would envy.

The smile was a spontaneous reaction to the pressure finally being lifted. His career path would likely bring him command of a ship in a few years and I wondered how well he would take it. The apostle Paul was no stranger to stress, but he knew how to deal with it. "But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God..." (2 Corinthians 1:9)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool May 31st 2020, 10:37 pm

June 1

Along with a handful of other sailors, I was riding along in the Kenyan countryside. We were on our way to a resort in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro. Travelling on the back roads would take most of the day, saving a photo safari for tomorrow. It wasn't long before the pavement gave way to mud ruts, giving our driver all he could handle.

We couldn't tell if his swerves were to avoid the worst spots, or if he was barely in control of the vehicle. During one downhill section with lots of curves, we gritted our teeth as he slid through the corners. At last we approached our destination and rolled to a stop by the buildings. As we were offloading our luggage, our driver crawled under the van. Someone asked what he was doing. "Oh, I'm just fixing the brakes."

Brakes are a good thing to have as they keep us out of dangerous situations. Exercising poor control over the words we use can certainly get us into trouble. Moses shared with the Israelites what God had told him. "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds...so that your days and the days of your children may be many..." (Deuteronomy 11:18-20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 2nd 2020, 8:50 am

June 2

Upon the retirement of a service member, there are many traditions to be celebrated. One of them is the "shadow box", a glassed-in container that is meant to hang on a wall. In it is a record of the person's military career, containing medals, ribbons and duty station labels that shine light on his career. A folded American flag is also customary.

A couple of years prior, I had arranged for a flag to be flown over the USS Constitution, a Navy frigate that dates back to the War of 1812. I'd been saving it for my retirement and made it a part of the shadow box. Also included was a large brass plate, inscribed with the words once spoken by President Kennedy. "And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

I do think about retirement of a different kind, when I'm done here on earth and the Lord calls me home. There's another quote which I treasure and pray will be said about me. "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things...Come and share your master's happiness.'" (Matthew 25:21)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 2nd 2020, 10:12 pm

June 3

During my first attempt at college, I was part of the Naval ROTC unit and a member of its drill team. We put in a lot of hours, practicing the spinning of rifles and throwing them at each other. At the same time, we would be marching and stopping, and making facing moves. We performed in public several times, but one event made a lasting memory.

Our drill team was performing during half time of a basketball game and the arena was packed. During the routine, our larger unit had broken off into groups of 4 members. My group went through its memorized paces until someone made a move out of synch with the others. A rifle went flying through the air and hit me in the head. Even though I was stunned, I could see that the closest members of the audience were also stunning. But I continued the routine, throwing my rifle at the proper time and then bending over to pick up the other rifle.

The apostle Peter sometimes went off-script and did things that weren't part of God's plan. But he learned from his mistakes and passed on the lesson, saying "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled..." (1 Peter 1:13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 4th 2020, 9:45 am

June 4

It wasn't much of a liberty port, but it was better than nothing. Along with other ships, we were anchored in the lagoon of Diego Garcia, an island in the Indian Ocean. There were a few military installations, but that was about all. Still, getting off the ship for a few hours was a treat. It was relaxing walking on the sandy beaches, but we were warned to stay out of the lagoon's protected waters. Several man-eating tiger sharks made it a habit to hunt there, so we stayed dry.

There were several groves of trees and you could see a bountiful harvest getting ready to drop. On the ground were coconuts that had fallen in recent weeks and I walked closer to them. That's when I noticed that new trees were beginning to grow out of the coconuts, which are actually big seeds filled with nourishment for the new growth.

It's amazing that such tall trees could grow out of the coconuts. But once it takes root, it takes more than what the husk can provide. How wonderful that God provides it all. "So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." (1 Corinthians 3:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 4th 2020, 9:57 pm

June 5

Once a week, the Navy's Safety Center sent out an informative message on a variety of recent mishaps, whether on ships or ashore. An especially sad story emerged from one such message. A recently retired master chief was happily working away on the "to-do" list. He and his wife were driving down the highway with a load of plywood sheets in the back of their truck. In the rear view mirror, he noticed that the top sheets were catching a little air.

So he pulled over and decided to lay down on the plywood while his wife took over the driving. You know what happened next. His weight wasn't enough and the top plywood sheet too off like a magic carpet with the master chief on it. He didn't survive.

No doubt the master chief had made it through a number of perilous incidents during his years of service. And just went he thought it was safe, he didn't think his decision through. If only he had seen the danger and stepped back. "The prudent see danger and take refuge..." (Proverbs 27:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 5th 2020, 12:48 pm

June 6

When I switched career paths from navigation to seamanship, I entered a new world full of daily challenges...and danger. I can never begin to count the number of close-calls I experienced or witnessed. By the time I started my second at-sea tour, I had come to realize that these dangers kept coming around. And the lessons-learned by sailors often was lost when they transferred out. There's got to be a better way, I thought.

And that's how the Deck Emergency Casualty Control manual was born. Patterned after ship engineering procedures, it was a go-to book for Boatswain's Mates to use whenever a problem came up. It contained step-by-step instructions to recover from most any kind of equipment casualty, at least on amphibious warfare ships. An article on DECC appeared in the Navy's safety magazine. It's been a lot of years since then, but I'm hopeful that the manual helped someone.

The Bible is God's manual for every service member and civilian. It is full of lessons learned by those who came before us, as well as instructions for avoiding danger and recovering from disaster. Why not learn from other people's mistakes, instead of repeating them in our own lives? "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful...so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (1 Timothy 3:16-17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 7th 2020, 10:41 am

June 7

For the first two weeks of basic training, I served as the company's recruit leader. At least until a disastrous barracks inspection. One of the extra socks in my locker was improperly folded. You wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but I lost my leadership position because of it. Our company commander pushed us for perfection, and he couldn't tolerate a leader who wasn't an example of it. So it became my job to clean the head (bathroom).

Some of the guys later told me they thought I was going to slide into a blue depression and crash and burn. But instead, I resolved to become the best brass polisher the base ever had. And I composed a new marching song for my company, which was used all the time until we graduated. I was determined to show my company commander that I was still of value to him. And little by little he promoted me until I was the #2 recruit leader at the end.

David sung the blues many time, suffering setback after setback, even when it wasn't his fault. But he persevered and remained deeply faithful to the Lord, who ultimately raised him to a high place. "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart." (Psalm 40:8 )
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 7th 2020, 9:52 pm

June 8

I'd been back from Desert Storm for a couple of days and it was time to meet my "fans". Every week, I had written a letter to the student body at the school my boys attended. In uniform, I was arriving during their lunchtime to minimize any disruption in their schedule. And as I stepped out of the car, my wife told me that a TV crew was coming. My smile immediately disappeared.

I do not have the gift of gab or a spontaneous nature, preferring to have plenty of time to plan and practice for things out of the ordinary. But it turned out okay. While the camera was rolling, I kept my focus on the kids and had a good time. And it turned out that the students asked better questions than the reporter.

The letters I wrote to them were informative and encouraging, but it's not likely that anyone remembers them. On the other hand, Paul's letters were also informative and encouraging, but they have had a nearly 2-millenium affect, due to the Lord's anointing. "Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written you only a short letter...Grace be with you all." (Hebrews 13:22, 25)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 9th 2020, 9:55 am

June 9

Friction is good when you're cornering an icy road, but it's not good in other situations. Like when you're thrown into a group of 80 people from different parts of the country. And the only thing you have in common is a buzz cut. After the haircut, our company commander took us to get shots and uniforms. We then dropped everything off at our barracks, but before leaving for lunch, he had us do something.

"Write down on a sheet of paper your definition of leadership." We all looked at each other, sitting at the long tables and settled down to the task and turned them in. At the end of the day, he announced who his recruit leaders were going to be. I was surprised to get the #1 position. Perhaps he like my definition of leadership: "Maximum results with minimum friction."

There's no such thing as a born leader. Life experiences shape each of us, especially our reactions to them. We should look for the lessons in each, allowing them to season and prepare us. "See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:24)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 9:10 am

June 10

There's truth in the old saying, "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into." Seemed like we had only just put our recently overhauled boat in the water, and here I was redoing some work. The varnish on the mahogany transom was already starting to peel and needed to be redone. But first, I had to sand off the old varnish.

It was a little awkward, laying down on the small back deck and leaning way over to get the lowest area of the varnish. And I had to lean into the sandpaper, using the extra pressure to remove the varnish. And then...the next thing I knew I was underwater, looking up at the bottom of the hull. I kicked up to the surface and with great difficulty, pulled my way onto the dock. I was done for the day.

It was embarrassing, but fortunately, no one saw me fall into the water. In this instance, trusting in myself led to failure, which in retrospect is no big surprise. Trusting in the Lord will never disappoint us. "Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf." (Proverbs 11:28 )
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 9:25 am

June 11

Fortunately, we weren't serving on a submarine. One of our shipmates was diagnosed with appendicitis and in pain, and the Captain asked where the nearest port was. By radio, arrangements were made to have an ambulance meet us pierside in Acapulco, Mexico, where we would stay just long enough to disembark the crewman. I had already plotted the courses and speed necessary to get us there in time.

As I was later studying the navigational aspects of the harbor, I uncovered something surprising. Acapulco was the only city in the area that was on a different time schedule, sort of like America's Daylight Savings Time. I computed the new speed needed for a timely arrival and let the Captain know. He was definitely not happy, but I could only imagine how he would have felt if we were an hour late.

Without a way to measure time, life would be chaotic. We owe a debt of gratitude to those who worked it out and developed accurate instruments to keep track of it. How much more important it is to ensure our future. "Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love...for it is time to seek the Lord..." (Hosea 10:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 10:24 pm

June 12

I was supervising some boys on a weekend-long canoe trip on the Colorado River. Two of them in their own boat were having difficulty in coordinating their paddling, leading to frequent arguments. And then I came up with a solution. Although it slowed us down a little, I lashed our two canoes together. We found that we could not keep our craft going in a straight line. And at each stop on the river, we caught up to the rest of the canoes.

On our last day, we found ourselves way behind as usual. Noting that there was a stiff breeze behind us, I asked the boys to unpack the fly cover to one of our tents. We lashed it to two paddles, which were raised to let the cover catch the wind. It worked even better than I had hoped. We were now sailing down the river, with me using a paddle at the stern to make small course adjustments. We ended up passing many canoes by the time we reached our destination.

No one can control the wind; it is a power far beyond our ability to resist. But it is possible to harness it, such as generating power through the use of vanes. Or in adjusting a boat's sail or rudder in order to make progress in the desired direction. Likewise, we can go much further when we allow the Lord to direct our lives, "...because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." (James 1:6)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 10:36 pm

June 13

We were at the end of a weekend canoeing trip on the Colorado River. The wind that had been a blessing at our backs had become a storm that whipped the water into whitecaps. We made a turn into a break in the thick reeds for the final run to the place we would pull out of the river. But the wind and waves buffeted us mightily. I decided to let our two canoes ease into the reeds where we would be held in relative safety. And speaking of that, our safety officer yelled out, "Hang on, I'll save you!"

Pulling his kayak into the whitecaps, he foundered and quickly capsized. Now out of his craft, he was trying to hang onto the hull. Just as I was starting to push our canoes out of the reeds towards him, the safety officer found that he could stand on the bottom. He walked to shore and sheepishly sat down away from everyone else. We decided to wait for the wind to die down before continuing.

Whether in the great outdoors or in a more urban setting, we often find ourselves thrown about by the power of things beyond our control. Only through the maturity gained through following Christ will we find true safety. "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming." (Ephesians 4:14)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 10:45 pm

June 14

It was the first night moored to a pier in an Australian port and the crew was enjoying what the city had to offer. Many went on tours, others did a lot of walking and shopping, and some tried to catch up from a month at sea and over-indulge in adult beverages. Those that did the latter ended up coming back to the ship when their money ran out, since they had nothing else planned. They were the lucky ones.

One of our engineers was left alone in a bar and stumbled back to the waterfront in the lonely, wee hours of the morning. Within sight of the ship, he veered into an area with no lights and passed out. Sadly, when he was found hours later, he was dead. It was determined that he had vomited while lying on his back and breathed it into his lungs.

Alcohol isn't the only thing that can be dangerous. Life is full of things that would take it away. Better to be closer to the Lord than those things. "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap." (Ephesians 21:34)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 10th 2020, 10:53 pm

June 15

I'd been in the navy for a couple of years now, making new friends onboard ship. And I got back to Seattle once a year on leave to see my family and others. Other than to my parents, I didn't write letters very often. And other than from my parents, I certainly didn't get much mail. So I was surprised to get a letter from my best friend in high school. After the opening paragraph, he literally got down to business. He had started a photography business and was hoping that I could refer some customers to him. Well, I overreacted and wrote a blistering response.

There was silence after that...for nearly 20 years. And then the Lord put it on my heart to write a letter of apology to him. The same day I put it in the mailbox, I received a letter from him. Absolutely no coincidence, as I'm sure the Lord had also spoken to him. In the years afterward, we have exchanged Christmas cards and visited a couple of times. Our friendship isn't the same as it used to be, and I deeply regret that, but I'm thankful that the Lord prompted us to reestablish a connection.

It takes a long time to develop a close and trusting friendship with someone. Once you have it, be careful not to let something destroy it. "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 16th 2020, 6:01 pm

June 16

A couple of us teachers took a group of high school boys on an weekend backpacking trip. After getting dropped off, we got a guided tour of a local dam and then started down the river. The weather was perfect and we arrived at our planned campsite. It wasn't long before we were set up and lunch was served. After that we had some free time and let the boys roam as long as they could see the camp. On one group's return, I still shudder to think how it could have turned out.

A few boys had come across a small rattlesnake sunning itself on a rock. They could have avoided it, but decided to kill it instead and bring it back to coo. After admonishing them, we let them fry it up and pass around samples. Although I told the boys not to tell anyone about it, I knew that it could never be kept secret. On our return to town, I gave the principal a head's up for the inevitable reveal. Fortunately, no parents were upset. I guess they knew those boys better than I did.

Jesus told the disciples what they would be able to do as they fulfilled the Great Commission, but he didn't have a reptilian meal in mind. Don't take chances with wildlife, especially the venomous kind. "In my name...they will pick up snakes with their hands..." (Mark 16:17-18)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 16th 2020, 9:28 pm

June 17

My earliest memory revolves around spending time at my grandparents' cabin across the Minnesota border in Canada. My twin brother and I were in the kitchen and heard a commotion outside. So we climbed up onto the counter and looked through the window. There was our grandfather, standing in the yard next to a wagon filled with flowers. Every once in a while he would take a couple of steps left or right, but he kept the wagon in front of him.

On the other side was a small black bear, mimicking our grandfather's steps. Our fascination was interrupted by Grandma shooing us away from the window. We protested, "But we want to watch Grandpa!" What came next was our first taste of a bar of soap. We never saw the conclusion of the dance, and many years later, my grandfather couldn't recall the incident when I asked about it.

Peter, having once had self-control issues of his own, counseled others to avoid such behavior. "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled...As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance." (1 Peter 1:13-15)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 18th 2020, 10:03 am

June 18

All day long, I had kept my finger on my camera's shutter release. It was my first time in New York City and I was mesmerized. It wasn't that I was a hayseed in the big city, having spent years in Seattle, but there was just something special about the Big Apple. I don't remember how many rolls of film I went through. At the end of the day, I was in Grand Central Station, awaiting transportation back to New Jersey and my ship.

Raised voices caught my attention and I looked over at a tense confrontation. A Port Authority police officer was trying to get someone to follow his orders, but the person was defiant and made several threatening gestures. The officer spoke into a walkie-talkie and mere moments later, a half-dozen officers were on-scene and quickly neutralized the threat. I remember thinking "Only in New York" and then looked in my lap. My camera lay untouched, having missed the opportunity to capture the event on film.

As I continued to sit there, I had an understanding why some people feel drawn to photo journalism and its ability to catch and record a moment in time. How much more important is it to accomplish something for eternity? That's what Jesus desires us to do. "Then Jesus said to Simon, 'Don't be afraid; from now you will catch men.'" (Luke 5:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 19th 2020, 8:08 pm

June 19

It was a marvelous Sunday morning steaming off the coast of British Columbia. The seas were calm and the sun was shining brightly, but things were just a little too slow for the junior officer assisting me on the bridge. I saw a whale breaching and blowing in the distance, and then another and another. It became a contest of sorts between us, but I never failed to be the first to spot the whales.

He paced back and forth with his binoculars, frustrated at his losing streak. And then he stopped, and you could tell that an idea had occurred to him. "Sir, do you think I could see the whales on radar?" I thought about it for a minute and responded. "No, I don't think so. But even if you did, it would just be a fluke."

If you didn't catch the punchline, that's probably why Reader's Digest declined to pay me for this story. Sometimes, what we most desire can be elusive to see. But if we press in and use the right motivation, it will be revealed. "But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul." (Deuteronomy 4:29)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 19th 2020, 8:16 pm

June 20

I was driving back into town when I noticed a backpacker on his way out, walking along the highway. I thought about the long journey and a mountain pass 10 miles ahead of the young man. "Give him something." As I continued down the road, I tried to ignore the words that kept running through my head. I was doing my best to block them, because I knew all I had in my wallet was a $50 bill. But I turned around and drove past him, making a U-turn and pulling over close by.

As I walked up, the young man took a defensive stance, thinking I was about to attack him. He relaxed as I introduced myself and extended my hand. "I didn't want to stop, but the Lord told me that I should give you something for your journey." As he took the offered money, he said, "The Lord, huh? I'll have to think about that. I'm a Buddhist."

I had almost lost an opportunity to share the Lord with someone that day, but was glad I finally gave in to His prompting. "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." (James 1:22)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next