RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool Today at 9:14 am

» The Next Domino To Fall
by Claymore Today at 2:02 am

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17111 messages in 1005 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 8 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool June 21st 2020, 8:31 am

June 21

In New York City for liberty, a friend and I were walking down a Manhattan street when we saw it...Radio City Music Hall. It was only an hour away from show time, so we grabbed a quick bite to eat nearby and bought tickets. The curtains were pulled and there they were, the Rockettes. A famous group of highly-trained dancers, we watched them in person and in awe. The full crowd gave them a well-deserved standing ovation and we settled in for the movie.

Jaws was recently out and playing that night. The audience was tense and you could hear the occasional scream from a lady. We chuckled in our manliness. Then there was that scene when the marine biologist was diving at night and inspecting a smashed-up boat. He was reaching for an embedded shark's tooth when the scariest moment of the movie happened. It was so shocking that I found myself starting to jump out of my seat. But I didn't get very far, for my friend had already jumped into my lap.

Afterwards, we shared a nervous laugh, but there's no doubt it had an effect on us. Life will have scary moments. But a prayer of Moses was added to the book that David wrote, reminding us of the safety and care that the Lord gives us. "You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day." (Psalm 91:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 22nd 2020, 8:23 am

June 22

We were involved in the umpteenth underway replenishment of the week. To keep station crews from becoming complacent and careless, we always assigned safety officers to keep a close eye on things. Their responsibility was to stand back and watch everything that was going on. With their eyes on the big picture, they would make sure that everyone was doing their job safely.

A Chief Boatswain's Mate was supervising the safe transfer of aviation bombs to a waiting aircraft carrier. The forklift operator was having difficulty moving one metal pallet load into place. So the Chief moved in to assist; mistake #1. As the driver was backing up to reposition his forks, he was unknowingly lifting up at the same time, putting much pressure on them; mistake #2. As the forks cleared the pallet, they sprang clear and slammed back against the forklift's frame, pinning the Chief's hand for a split second. As he held his bleeding and broken hand, I helped him down to sick bay for medical help. We lost him for over a month while he healed.

Concerned with our physical and spiritual safety, God's Word to us is full of warnings. Only He has the big picture, knowing all and always watching over us. "By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 23rd 2020, 9:44 am

June 23

Magnetic compasses are still used on ships as a backup to other means of staying on course. These instruments are highly sensitive to electrical fields and many metals, reducing their accuracy. So compasses are held within aluminum or brass housings, called binnacles. On my second ship, a long-standing discrepancy had been identified on the binnacle. An electrical outlet had been installed too close to the compass. I wanted to take care of it, but a visit by an electrician's mate was weeks away.

So, with the Navigator looking over my shoulder, I removed the cover to see how the outlet box was attached. The nuts on both bolts were extremely loose and I figured that I could easily remove them. No, I hadn't turned off the power source. Yes, you know what happened next with the metal tool in my hand. Even thought I had been very skilled at the childhood game "Operation", the next thing I knew, I had been thrown back from the binnacle. I could smell a little smoke. And I could see the Navigator's eyes opened wide as saucers.

Although I knew the dangers involved, I figured that I could control the outcome. Whether it was my skill level or common sense, I came up short. Never take shortcuts and never do what you're not qualified to do. "The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it." (Proverbs 27:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 23rd 2020, 11:01 pm

June 24

It was the 21st birthday of a shipmate, and we quartermasters were lying in wait for him. As he stepped through the pilothouse, we jumped him, intending to give him the required number of swats with a dustpan. But he proved to be a lot to handle. While everyone was laughing, we wrapped enough arms around his body to keep him from getting away, from his ankles up to his shoulders.

But every time someone reached for the dustpan, he made progress in getting away. In somewhat of a stalemate, we all caught our breath for a moment. Then he made a final effort at escape and we hung on for dear life. Unfortunately, we all started to fall over and all of his 6 foot 3 inches fell onto his nose. It wasn't pretty. Although he had plans to celebrate that night in town, he stayed onboard with his overly swollen nose.

He was sore in more than one way for a few days, but he knew we hadn't intended for him to get hurt. We appreciated receiving his forgiveness, however, we were sure looking over our shoulders for along time after that. How blessed we are that our Father in heaven can see into our hearts to perfectly discern our intentions. "All of a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord." Proverbs 16:2)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 25th 2020, 9:29 am

June 25

I was in charge of an upcoming hike for scores of boys and had selected a destination. I wasn't sure how long the hike would take, so I decided to scout it out to make sure we would have enough time. It was just after lunch on a Sunday and my wife told me to make sure I wouldn't be late for church that night. Not to worry, I said, there was plenty of time. As I was hiking, though, I could see that I was going to be late. Wanting to see the waterfall at the end of the trail, I decided to go cross-country to save time.

It was tough-going over the terrain and elevation increase, but I was gaining on the clock. Only one obstacle remained in front of me. A mini-cliff, about 30 feet high and a good mile left and right. I decided to climb. It wasn't too difficult and I knew the waterfall would be in sight from the top. As my hands pulled me up the final couple of feet, I froze at the sight. A coiled rattlesnake was rattling its tail two feet away from my face. All I had time to do was say out loud the name of Jesus. And the next thing I knew I was standing at the bottom of the cliff, with no memory of how I got there.

In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea to go solo on a cross-country hike. I ignored the dangers that were there, and I know what would have happened if the Lord wasn't watching over me. "Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles..." (1 Chronicles 16:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 25th 2020, 9:41 am

June 26

Amphibious ships take Marines wherever they're needed. Many times it's by a variety of water craft, which means that they have to take life preservers with them. Yoke preservers are U-shaped and are notoriously difficult for sailors to keep in good shape. While I was on staff duty, I was pondering how to make it easier, when an entirely different problem came to mind. Over the years, the amount of gear that a Marine had to take ashore was getting heavier and heavier, but the yoke was the same size and design. So I put together an experiment.

First, my senior chief loaded a backpack with the weight that a Marine carries into combat. He went to the base pool wearing the backpack and a life preserver and stepped into the water. And promptly went straight to the bottom. As you can imagine, the results of the test generated lively conversation. I retired shortly thereafter and never knew if any corrective action was taken.

We count on a variety of devices to keep us physically safe, but they are temporary in nature. Our spiritual life is of much greater importance to the Lord, and Daniel knew it. Because of his faith, he was also physically saved. "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand..." (Daniel 3:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 26th 2020, 5:13 pm

June 27

I was on my first ship, and newly-qualified as a Quartermaster of the Watch. It was my responsibility to track the ship's position on a chart and make any course and speed recommendations. But only after getting the Navigator's agreement, usually by phone. During one watch, we were on the bridge together when a speed change was needed.

I sensed a little confusion on the conning officer's part, so I turned to the Navigator, who didn't offer an opinion. I then calculated the required speed, which I shared with him. Again, he didn't say anything. But surely he would speak up if a mistake were about to be made. Right? So when the conning officer asked me for the speed, I relayed it. In turn, he called the captain and made the speed change. A few minutes later, the reason for the earlier confusion was identified and the captain had to be called for another speed change. From several feet away, I could tell he was upset over the phone. I looked at the Navigator and saw a big smirk on his face.

My peers had earlier told me to watch out for the Navigator, who was something of an odd duck. It was a lesson to me early in my career not to put unearned faith in anyone, regardless of their position. "Have faith in the Lord your God and you will be upheld..." (2 Chronicles 20:20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 26th 2020, 5:35 pm

June 28

The school I taught at had a weekly chapel service for the students, and I spoke at the one immediately preceding Veteran's Day. I shared the story of an American hero who had died in Iraq while protecting those around him. Continuing, I told them that Jesus had done exactly the same thing for us, sacrificing His life that we might live. In closing, I invited them to join me the next day at a nearby major intersection.

I nearly cried as over 30 high school students were there with American flags and signs, thanking veterans who drove by. A van from a TV station pulled over and set up their equipment, filming students and interviewing them. It was a good day, with hundreds of people appreciating that they were appreciated.

Jesus spent his whole earthly life knowing how it was going to end. He loved us so much and remained faithful to the mission the Father had given Him. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 26th 2020, 5:49 pm

June 29

Our ship's captain was actually an aviator, a fighter jet pilot who had brought down a North Vietnamese MIG. He was being groomed for bigger things, which required being in command of a deep-draft ship for a while. Used to a faster-paced life, he nonetheless tackled each day on a slow, fleet oiler with enthusiasm.

During a large naval exercise off the coast of Hawaii, we were assigned to a quiet area of the ocean, awaiting orders to rendezvous with ships thirsty for fuel. One afternoon, the captain was sitting in his chair on the bridge, doing paperwork. A lookout yelled excitedly, "Periscope on the starboard beam!" The captain ran out to the right side bridge wing and confirmed the sighting.

"Right full rudder, " he ordered. "All ahead flank!" Our adrenaline was pumping as we tried to enter a potential battle. In reality, I imagine that the sub's skipper probably chuckled at our bravado, but our move did force him to go deeper and withdraw from the area. And for a brief moment, we were masters of the sea.

Regardless of where he found himself, our captain was determined to be of use to something bigger than himself. In the same way, we should look for opportunities to be of service to the Lord. "...he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work." (2 Timothy 2:21)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 27th 2020, 8:40 am

June 30

We were still in the first week of basic training, and I was detailed to take a dozen of my fellow recruits to an appointment on the other side of the base. Our company commander wasn't with us, but we marched as if he were. "Head up, shoulders back, guide is...to the right!" He would sing it with a jazz flair, and we loved it. In those early days, he required us to swing our arms in an exaggerated way, in order to get used to marching.

A couple of chief petty officers watched us approach and ordered us to a halt, demanding to know who our company commander was. "Chief Petty Officer Walls, Company 945, sir!" And knowing his style, they allowed us to continue on our way without correction.

On this occasion, we were correct, but there were a multitude of times over the following weeks where we needed a guiding hand to avoid failure. The key to more success is to accept it with a humble heart. "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." (Proverbs 12:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 27th 2020, 8:56 am

July 1

Underneath the helicopter flight deck, the back of the ship was dominated by a well deck. When needed for amphibious boat operations, enormous empty tanks would be filled with seawater, lowering the well deck below sea level. The stern gate would open all the way and whatever water craft we had would be able to drive out into the ocean. Many times, we would be carrying a 135-foot long utility landing craft (LCU).

During one training mission, we were one minute away from launching the LCU when the sea conditions drastically changed. I'm not sure if the ship's course changed or what, but the LCU was no surging back and forth within the well deck. It also slammed from left to right, making an awful noise and denting the ship. We tried to stay with the predetermined launch time, but we when one of the LCU's mooring lines snapped, we launched early in the interest of safety. The LCU's craftmaster was happy to get out of there. We were happy to see him leave, too.

An LCU's width takes up most of a well deck and it takes a lot of skill and effort to stay in the middle. But conditions sometimes make it all but impossible. If you feel that you're in a position where your soul may be in jeopardy, it's time to move away to a safer place. "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." (Proverbs 18:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 28th 2020, 9:30 am

July 2

It was a pitch-black moonless night and we had set Condition 1 Alpha on the ship. For the first time since the Korean War, US Navy warships were conducting amphibious operations under combat conditions. A couple of miles away, international relief organizations were being threatened by Somali warlords and their soldiers. Our Marines were going in to stabilize conditions and provide security.

The well deck green light flashed on and our Marines in their amphibious assault vehicles splashed into the Indian Ocean bound for the beach of Mogadishu. Our arrival and show of force had the intended effect on the warlords as they withdrew from the area. But it didn't all go according to plan. As our Marines stormed ashore with live ammunition, they had to contend with unknown bright lights pointing into their eyes. Bright lights attached to CNN TV cameras.

Trying to capture the story, the CNN crews were unknowingly putting themselves and the Marines in danger. Although light isn't always desired by combat troops, we can trust in the Lord's provision. "Come, O house of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord." (Isaiah 2:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 28th 2020, 9:42 am

July 3

As a Sea Cadet midshipman, I was helping with the basic training of teenaged boys at a base in California. Things were going along fairly well, until we learned of someone's imminent arrival. In previous years, I had learned about LT Sizer from other cadets. They almost trembled while talking about him, building a picture of a harsh authoritarian who punished at the drop of a hat.

Two days later he arrived. Although a relatively short man, his presence towered over everyone else. What few discipline problems we had disappeared within minutes. We felt like his eyes were always on us, so we made sure he didn't find any fault. As the days went on, however, it felt less like he was waiting to pounce on a misstep, and more like he had our best interests at heart. He improved our training schedule with better opportunities and constantly shared words of encouragement. He was genuinely concerned with each cadet.

In a similar way, people can get the wrong impression of God from others. He's not up there with a bag of lightning bolts, ready to hurl them down when we fail. But He's always in our midst, ready to help us in our times of troubles, and ready to help maximize our abilities. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 28th 2020, 4:12 pm

July 4

I can't imagine what it would have been like sailing across an ocean in a small, leaking wooden sailing vessel. A ship so small, you could walk from stern to stem in the time it took to chew through a piece of salted beef. My hat is off to the early explorers and settlers who came to the New World. Even in a modern, steel ship as long as two football fields it can be a little dicey.

Many are the times I sat in the dining area, timing the use of my silverware to the rocking of the ship. Whether the plates were sliding, or whether my chair was, eating took a bit longer. And sleeping? Well, I don't think I was ever in danger of falling out of my bunk. But there were many mornings when I woke up more tired that when I had gone to bed. During the night in high seas, my body had unconsciously fought the continual rolling.

Without rest, the body begins to wear down and be less effective, affecting the mind as well. In the Word, our Creator reminds us to find refreshment. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 5th 2020, 6:22 pm

July 5

It was the middle of the night off the northern coast of Oahu and we were standing in the well deck of our amphibious ship. Next to us was the stern-gate, about twenty feet high and ready to be lowered. Force Recon Marines were ready to carry their rubber rafts down and prepare to launch into the ocean for a training mission. But I wasn't so sure it was a good idea. I kept the Marines back and asked for permission to lower the stern-gate.

Once lowered, I put one foot on the gate while leaning forward to see what the condition of the sea was. My phone talker and I never saw it coming. I have no idea how big the swell was, but we were thrown backwards by the wall of water. We tumbled over and over half the length of the well deck until it receded. I didn't need to say anything. The Marines put their gear away.

When you're in the dark, it can be difficult to see danger approaching. If you can't avoid the dark, caution is always a good step, preceded by prayer. "His eyes are on the ways of men; he sees their every step. There is no dark place, no deep shadow, where evildoers can hide." (Job 34:21-22)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 5th 2020, 11:28 pm

July 6

In the middle of readiness exercises qualifying us for our upcoming overseas deployment, we were now going through weapons systems tests. Next up was CIWS, the Close-In Weapons System that had the ability to shot down incoming missiles. If everything went right. Part of the test involved a small civilian jet, contracted to tow a metal cylinder at a safe distance behind him. Flying it close enough to be considered a threat, CIWS was supposed to track and engage the target.

With stations manned and anticipation running high, I was at my station on the bridge, coordinating our efforts. We watched as the jet crossed in front of us, with the towline barely visible behind him. I went outside onto the wing and brought up my binoculars. A moment later, I could hear the forward CIWS mount acquire the target and focus on it. And then the beautiful sound of 6 barrels shooting projectiles at the rate of 75 rounds per second. I actually saw multiple projectiles hit the target, which lost its aerodynamic shape and go out of control. And this well-seasoned sailor whooped and hollered like a kid hitting his first bull's-eye.

As we go through life, we often find ourselves being tested by difficult circumstances. It's nothing new, as Paul wrote to the Christians in Corinth, encouraging them in their walk in the face of adversity. Stand firm in the faith. "Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." (2 Corinthians 13:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 6th 2020, 4:49 pm

July 7

Shortly after reporting onboard my first ship, I was approached by a deck seaman who wanted to be a quartermaster. Although it certainly wasn't going to be up to me if he did, others quickly brought me up to date on his history. His initial assignment was to the Weapons Department, and he took his turn with security patrols of the ship, especially in the areas where explosives were stored.

One night, while most everyone else was asleep, his patrols took him outside of Hold #3. This specially-alarmed storeroom could never be "confirmed or denied to hold nuclear weapons." In boredom, he pulled his .45 caliber pistol from its holster and pulled the slide back. He then removed the ammo clip, forgetting that the weapon now had a chambered round. He practiced a quick draw move and pulled the trigger. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt by the ricocheting metal fragments. The person that relieved him a couple of hours later noticed that a bullet was missing, and the gig was up.

There was no second chance for him in Weapons Department, and he never got one in mine. In fact, his one major mistake dashed his hopes for any opportunities for the rest of his enlistment. He re-entered civilian life and that was the last anyone heard of him. There are often worldly consequences from our poor choices, but God is faithful to provide second chances. Are you in need of one. Just ask. "But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love." (Nehemiah 9:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 8th 2020, 8:50 am

July 8

It was late at night and I had just turned out my bunk light after reading a couple of chapters. Moments later, one of the guys stumbled into the berthing compartment after frequenting many bars. With great difficulty, he took off his shoes and climbed up to his bunk, which was the top in a stack of three, and right above me. He belched and sighed and in moments began to snore.

Barely a minute later, I noticed a blur go past my eyes, followed by a loud thud on the floor. I looked over the edge of my bunk and saw the same drunk lying face down on the tiles. He groaned a couple of times and resumed snoring. It didn't make any sense to wake him up and try to get him back in his bunk.

There's a great line in one of John Wayne's movies, where he says, "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." In this instance, my shipmate avoided permanent injury. How much better to avoid taking the chance altogether? "To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy..." (Jude 24)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 8th 2020, 10:50 pm

July 9

There had been a growing number of locker break-ins onboard ship. Enough of them to where it was necessary to put watch standers in the berthing compartments on paydays. So that's where I was, sitting in a room around 1 am. There was enough light for me to work on a correspondence course, using a knife to remove the "scratch off" material to check my answers. And that's when two sailors came back from a night on the town, a little drunk and showing it. The senior of the two guys pulled a can of beer out of his coat.

I told him to hand it over and go to bed. He refused and pulled the tab. I then told him to pour it down the water fountain drain, but he smiled and started to chug the beer. At that, I called the duty Master at Arms, who showed up a few minutes later. After he took the evidence and wrote my statement down, he left. About then, the sailor realized he was in trouble and got mad. He tried to get my knife, which I kept behind me. Failing that, he stepped back and smiled. That's when he sucker-punched me. The commotion woke others up and the Master at Arms came back for more paperwork. A few days later, with my eye blackened, the executive officer called me to his office. "We want YN2 ____ to get treatment, right? We don't want to ruin his career, right?" And that's when all the charges were dismissed.

To say I was hot under the collar was an understatement. He went off for treatment, came back a month later and promptly went to a bar. Returning to the ship, he tripped over a parking lot log and broke his leg. Things went downhill from there and this time, it was his career that was dismissed. "Do not gloat when your enemy falls, when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice..." (Proverbs 24:17) But it was hard.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 9th 2020, 10:25 pm

I first saw the title of the topic and thought it was about elevation sickness

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 10th 2020, 12:20 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I first saw the title of the topic and thought it was about elevation sickness

If you stay at sea level, I guarantee that you'll get sick. Time to get closer to God.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 10th 2020, 9:30 am

July 10

The phone call came around midnight. I was about halfway through my tugmaster training and our boat was needed for an emergency run. A ship was coming into the harbor with a sailor wounded during weapons training. We were going to be the ambulance, meeting it by the Golden Gate Bridge to take the patient to Oakland. There was a heavy fog that night, and I had to navigate entirely by radar. We rendezvoused with the ship and successfully transported the sailor to the Army hospital.

A couple of weeks later, there was a short-notice awards ceremony which we all turned out for. As the citation was read, I realized that it was being given to the crew members of the tug for that night's mission. Unfortunately, the chief had left my name off the roster, so I wasn't recognized. After the ceremony, he shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry about that."

Inwardly, I shrugged my shoulders, too. Not everything that we do is going to be seen by others, and recognition shouldn't be our focus. In New Testament times, most Pharisees were obsessed with being recognized and lifted up. And Jesus called them out on it. "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." (Matthew 6:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 11th 2020, 2:58 pm

July 11

Remember Quick Draw McGraw and his loaded pistol? He had another close call after that. In order to move bombs around, our ship had large cargo elevators. They went up and down 5 levels and large metal doors would be removed from levels that were being worked in. This made for a dangerous situation, although safeties were in place to reduce the threat. unless you were McGraw.

He was working at the top level and put the safety net back up before the elevator moved down. Taking a break, he then leaned back on the nylon-webbed net, which gave way. He hadn't installed it correctly. Screaming as he lost his balance and fell backwards, one of his feet got tangled in the net. He was left hanging upside door, about 30 feet above the elevator.

Some people seem to be accident-prone, but there's a reason for it. Either through carelessness or recklessness, trouble comes their way. And it can come through the spoken word as well. "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken." (Matthew 12:36)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 12th 2020, 10:19 am

July 12

I had recently qualified as a tugmaster, but didn't have a tugboat of my own yet. The next skipper to transfer out wasn't due to leave for several months. My department head was planning on giving me projects to do, and I wasn't looking forward to it. When I came in on one Tuesday morning, the warrant officer told me to report to one of the tugs. "It's yours."

The day before, the tug had been working to get an aircraft carrier to the pier. The tugmaster had gotten himself in a precarious situation by the ship's bow, where an anchor was partially lowered in case of emergency. The tug had slammed into that anchor, which broke windows and bent the wheelhouse over a few degrees. Turned out that the tugmaster was under the alcohol. As a result, he lost his command, and I took over the boat.

Being in charge of something is a great responsibility, and not to be taken lightly. You've got to be at the top of your game, especially if the safety of others is at stake. "Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." (1 Corinthians 4:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 13th 2020, 8:30 am

July 13

During one of our visits to Alaska, my wife and I made a stop at a fun "tourist trap". Not too far from Anchorage, it was an opportunity to try your hand at panning for gold along a creek known for a gold strike over a century before. We already had experience at panning through a purchased pay-dirt bag, guaranteed to have gold. And while it was fun, there was no real thrill in finding the "domesticated" gold.

So we rent a few mining tools and walked up the trail to a quieter area to prospect. It was cool and raining, which made for muddy conditions, but we pressed on gamely. After hours of digging out dirt between small tree roots by the creek's bank, there it was! A single flake of real "wild" gold. We had found it on our own.

Unless you're highly skilled at reading the physical signs, finding gold is going to be hit and miss, and it will be a recreational attempt at best. You'll get a much bigger pay-out by working to improve your character. "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next