RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool May 13th 2024, 8:45 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17127 messages in 1006 subjects

Church Security

+3
ccm2361
Phillip Gross
joecool
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Church Security - Page 2 Empty Re: Church Security

Post by Claymore March 5th 2018, 11:54 pm

Last month, I was in Birmingham, attending a Church Security Update.

When the subject of only needing prayer to protect us came up, the Instructor said, "Why don't we tell women that, when they take their kids to the beach, just pray over them, and don't use any sunscreen."

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 6th 2018, 4:26 am

Claymore wrote:Last month, I was in Birmingham, attending a Church Security Update.

When the subject of only needing prayer to protect us came up, the Instructor said, "Why don't we tell women that, when they take their kids to the beach, just pray over them, and don't use any sunscreen."

This one you can relate to. Disband the military and just pray when we get invaded. Idk why physical protection is the one thing we just pray but everything else we work to live, eat, clothe ourselves. Why don’t we just pray for manna to drop down. Its lack of faith to maintain a job and buy food.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 6th 2018, 2:31 pm

We have a Church Safety Policy. It refers to different levels of emergencies: Theft, Personal Injury Accidents, Tornadoes, Medical Emergencies, etc.

The portion about armed members requires (in part):

1. Have a valid Concealed Carry Permit or be an Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officer, as specified under U.S. HR218, LEOSA.

2. Be recommended and approved by the Safety Committee to be a participant in the Church Safety Program.

3. Have completed approximately 8 hours of training in Church Threats and Safety by an approved Instructor, and to include at least 30 rounds of Live-Fire.

4. Annually attend at least 4 hours of In-Service Update Training specific to Armed Church Safety and Threat Training.

5. Annually fire at least 30 rounds of live fire ammunition with a firearm of the type that the participant intends to have on Church Property. This is to be documented by a Police Officer, NRA Firearms Instructor, Safety Committee Supervisor, Range Operator, or may be participation in an approved pistol competition.

6. Read and sign the Church Safety Policy, as it applies to Firearms.

7. At any time that a person has a firearm on his person, to also have an issued orange identification tag identifying him as a "Volunteer". This is for other members and police to be able to recognize him/her as a member of the Church Safety Committee, and will be displayed by being clipped to the front of his/her clothing or by a neck lanyard at the time that it is necessary to act as a member of the Safety Committee. It is not to be brandished or displayed, until that time (may be kept in the pocket, in your bible, etc.). A sample of this identification tag shall be provided to the Police Department and Sheriff’s Department for the information of their officers.

8. No brandishing of firearms on Church Property. This does not pertain to Scheduled Training and Competition in the Fellowship Hall.

9. Documentation of Paragraphs 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are to be kept on file with Church Safety Paperwork and updated annually.

10. It shall be the responsibility of the individual member to insure that he maintains the requirements outlined in this policy and forwards any required documentation, in order to continue as being "Certified" by the Safety Committee.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg March 6th 2018, 8:04 pm

I was approached by a church member to carry a firearm during service times.  I am not sure I would do this to begin with.  I know of one person that was carrying, but I did not think the guy was not right in the head and should not be bring any firearm to the church service.  The guy was asked to leave the church a few months later so the situation is water under the bridge.

So where is the training offered?  Are these AG modules like for Rangers?

3. Have completed approximately 8 hours of training in Church Threats and Safety by an approved Instructor, and to include at least 30 rounds of Live-Fire.

4. Annually attend at least 4 hours of In-Service Update Training specific to Armed Church Safety and Threat Training.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 6th 2018, 9:02 pm

Roguedawg wrote:

So where is the training offered?  Are these AG modules like for Rangers?

Our Local Police Department has an FBI certified firearms instructor, and he gives an 8 hour course in Church Security.  The morning portion is at the Police Station, and consists of training in Use of Force, Liability, Less Lethal Force, Case Law, Confrontational Continuum, Firearms Maintenance, Ammunition and Caliber Selection, etc.

The afternoon session is on the Police Range  Training is the "hot range concept", drawing and firing approximately 80 rounds of ammunition at silhouette targets from contact distance (3 feet) to 50 feet away.

This is what we recommend as the Initial Security Training, however, if a member wanted to fly to Florida, spend $800.00 and attend a course given by Full Armor Church Security, Inc, we would probably accept that, also.  

The same goes for the 4 annual hours of update training.  The Police Department offers updates (I believe that the next one in Town is for March 20 at 6:00 PM).   About a month ago, I attended Church Security Training at the State Conference in Birmingham (that would also qualify).  I am an NRA Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, & Home Firearms Safety Instructor, and State Hunter Safety Instructor and Retired Police Firearms Instructor.  That's why I am getting the Computer Projector/Simulator System up and running.  This can also be used for Update Training for our individuals.  Additionally, the Pastor has given the "thumbs-up" for me to offer Scenario Training to members of the local Police and Sheriff's Departments.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 6th 2018, 11:26 pm

Roguedawg wrote:I was approached by a church member to carry a firearm during service times.  I am not sure I would do this to begin with.  I know of one person that was carrying, but I did not think the guy was not right in the head and should not be bring any firearm to the church service.  The guy was asked to leave the church a few months later so the situation is water under the bridge.

Also, remember Paragraph #2 in the Policy: "Be recommended and approved by the Safety Committee to be a participant in the Church Safety Program."

There is an entire subset of qualifications that must be met prior to being recommended by the Safety Committee: Not be a convicted felon, Not be an abuser of alcohol or drugs, Not currently be the respondent of a Court Restraining Order, Not be convicted of a crime of Domestic Violence, Have not been discharged from Military Service under Dishonorable Conditions, Have not renounced his citizenship, Have not been adjudicated to a mental institution, etc. etc.

All of this in addition to a general evaluation of an individual's stability, work-history, family-history, status & tenure in the church, and so on.

If a person is a "wackadoodle" it is highly probable that he/she would be weeded out and never be recommended to be part of the Church Safety Program.

In other words, "By Invitation Only".

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 10th 2018, 3:29 am

I wish our church took it that seriously.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 23rd 2018, 2:00 pm

Last night, the Police Department gave a 4-hour Church Security Update over at Freewill Baptist Church.

It was attended by the Police Chief, the Training/SWAT Lieutenant, and 52 Clergy & Security Team Members from 12 local churches.

They talked about Use of Force, Policies & Procedures, Identifying Security Team Members, Mentally Unstable Subjects, Alternative Weapons & Equipment, Criminal & Civil Liability, Pending State Legislation, and we viewed a film analyzing the 1980 Dangerfield, Texas Baptist Church mass-shooting.

Our Police Department's policy is, "The best way to stop a Bad Guy with a Gun is a Good Guy with a Gun".

A couple of our Team Members had to leave before the film was over, but I still gave them credit for the 4 hours of training.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 10th 2018, 11:37 am

As the "Safety Coordinator" at our Church, I have been locating the various places that we have fire extinguishers, and insuring that they are current.  They were all out-of-date, some seriously out-of-date.

After taking them to a Fire Extinguisher Business for Pressure Test & Recertification, the Rangers had a class on how to inspect fire extinguishers.  There is a 12-year disassembly & inspection, a 6-year charging & inspection, an annual inspection, and a local monthly inspection.

Then during our Outpost Meeting, I explained how the fire extinguishers are inspected, how the certification seals are attached, how to check the seals and read the pressure gauge, and how to perform a monthly inspection on the fire extinguishers.  We then went around the church, found all 8 fire extinguishers (in various places), inspected them, and initialed them.  

I informed the Church Secretary that the tags will either have my initials for the units that I checked, or "RR" for the units that the Rangers checked together as an outpost.

Also...

The Royal Rangers are probably the only people in the Church who can tell you where all 8 fire extinguishers are located.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 10th 2018, 6:27 pm

Claymore wrote: ...the tags will either have my initials for the units that I checked, or "RR" for the units that the Rangers checked together as an outpost.

Careful, somebody's shop steward is going to file a complaint.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore April 10th 2018, 8:06 pm

joecool wrote:
Claymore wrote: ...the tags will either have my initials for the units that I checked, or "RR" for the units that the Rangers checked together as an outpost.

Careful, somebody's shop steward is going to file a complaint.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Put a dirty note in my Personnel File.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 25th 2018, 12:34 pm

Our Pastor is a really great guy.

He comes from a VERY common southern background, and has gotten his Masters Degree, but he doesn't forget where he came from.

We have a moderate church. Sunday Morning attendance is about 125 adults and 19 in Children's Church.

Last night, I was in the Church Office with some other folks, and we were generally discussing an "Open House" that we were sponsoring, next week, for Church Security.

The Pastor mentioned that he was with another local minister, and this minister (rather pridefully) mentioned something about their security training program.

Our Pastor said, "Oh. We have a Laser Scenario Trainer."

The other minister kind-of "deflated", right in front of him.

Our Pastor chuckled and said, "I know that it was a bit prideful, but I just couldn't help myself."

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 26th 2018, 9:12 am

Poor guy... Not every pastor has former SF in their assembly. Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 26th 2018, 9:56 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:Poor guy... Not every pastor has former SF in their assembly. Laughing

Oh, I dunno.

Where I come from, you can't turn over a rock, without having some Snake-eater come crawling out.............

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 27th 2023, 7:43 pm

Man, the last post here was over 4 years ago.

We have a new husband/wife youth leadership team starting at our church. On Sunday, they approached me and informed me that they both had concealed carry permits, and that they intended to have their firearms, in order to offer protection in Children's Church.

I informed them that we have a Laser Firearms Simulator and a written Training Policy, & that I would forward information to them.

In going over the Eligibility Requirements, it states the following:

(candidate must)

3. Have at least 10 years of Post-High School full-time work experience. However, the following may be given additional consideration, because of their recognized value for training, responsibility, decision-making, and education:

a. Each year of satisfactorily attending a Full-Time College, Vocational School, etc. may be credited to count as 2 years of work experience, to a maximum of 8 years equivalency credit.

b. Each year of Honorably Serving in U.S. Military may be credited to count as 2 years of work experience, with no maximum to equivalency credit.

c. National Guard or Reserve Service Time may be credited as each week served in Active Duty, Active Duty for Training, Annual Training, or Deployments as 2 weeks equivalency credit.

d. Each year of Full-Time Law Enforcement Experience may be credited to count as 3 years of work experience.

------------------------------

Now, they're good young adults (about 24 years old). and I don't want to alienate them, but they don't meet the requirements (that were put in place with good reason).

So, the matter was forwarded to the Church Board, to see if they want to issue a Temporary Waiver (of between 3 months to a year) for these leaders to Paragraph #3.

We will see.............

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2