RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Book of the Month Club
by joecool Today at 11:12 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool Today at 10:25 am

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 10:00 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17124 messages in 1006 subjects

November thread

+3
joecool
RRCmdrBennett
Canadarangers
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

November thread - Page 2 Empty Re: November thread

Post by Claymore November 21st 2016, 11:10 pm

Well, good luck.

A horse is like taking care of about four cows, but you don't get any milk or meat out of it (I took care of 32 cows, plus a bull, calves, and heifers).

I know of people down here who bought a horse, and then gave it away for free, because of the work & cost of upkeep.

In Milwaukee, I worked with two police officers who both married  "cowgirls", about 10 years apart.  They had blazing relationships, both purchased  mini-farms outside of Milwaukee, the guys cleaned the barns, shoveled horse-squeezin's, and both gals got to ride the horses.  

Both wives eventually ran off with other "cowboys" (one actually took off with a rodeo rider), and both guys got to rebuild from nothing.

I ain't saying not to do it, but the experiences of my friends were not good, and you may be making yourself a slave to an animal.

Renting may be expensive, but I think that you will find it to be a whole lot cheaper than owning.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 22nd 2016, 7:11 am

Oh I hear ya! From what I've heard from some people, they can be a lot like boats... except worse! You can at least leave a boat under a tarp until you sell it. Laughing

I hope I didn't come across as meaning this would be a near future step. The fences, hay, and horse barn I was mentioning that I have the ability to build and do are all still in the mental regions. Even if I sowed hay in the front field next spring, it would be AT LEAST a year before I wanted to put a horse on it so that it is well established. Then there's still all of the fencing and barn which is a lot of time and money. My hope is that by the time I have the infrastructure in place, she'll be to the place where I can trust her with the responsibility of such an animal. I'm thinking another two to three years at the earliest, but possibly longer. I meant it when I told her I would not be taking care of it on a daily basis. That would be ALL her, and at 10, that's not now!

Our plan for now is to take her to the stable for two-a-weeks and see how that goes. As she gets more adept at horse care, then we will add some days each week when she just goes to work the stable without riding at all. Right now her riding to care ratio is about 60/40. There's still more "fun" than work right now. I would like to see her get to something like a 30/70, or even 20/80 ratio of fun to work ratio before we pull the trigger. The truth is that the real ratio if you own a horse is probably 10/90, or more. We're in conversation with the trainer and we'll all be in agreement if/when it's time. The trainer is a very practical lady and has seen plenty of the horror stories when people jump the gun on a purchase, so this will all be systematic in approach. I'm just starting the research portion.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 22nd 2016, 11:27 am

Glad to hear that you are looking at this Long-Term and crunching the numbers: not just making an emotional decision.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 22nd 2016, 3:33 pm

What's with all the neigh-sayers?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 22nd 2016, 5:51 pm

Hardy Har Har!!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 22nd 2016, 9:26 pm

Now you see what happens to a Sailor who has been in a Land-Locked State for too long!

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 22nd 2016, 9:49 pm

Should've bought that boat he was looking at...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 23rd 2016, 7:44 am

Two more posts to set this morning and then I'll start the framing on my new wood shed. Building a 14' x 24' wood shed / chicken pen (I think). The wood shed part is for sure, but still debating on using one side of it to house the laying boxes then have a run come off the side. I just have a temporary chicken pen right now using one of those 8' x 12' chain link dog kennels with a piece of plywood over the top and a tarp wrapped around one end for them to roost under. Something "temporary" that has been used for the two years since we moved to the new place. Have just had too many other projects going on to do another real pen like I had built at the other house.

I had built a small 4' x 8'  movable wood shed (posts weren't sunk into the ground and had a framed floor) because I wasn't sure if I would like the location I had picked. I ended up liking the location, but it was too small, and my raised frame floor couldn't handle the weight of the cord wood anyway, so I dragged it down to the bottom with the tractor and repurposed it as my new pond pump house.

I know that once I build permanent structures they're there, so I've been trying to make good decisions while I get the feel for the land and how best to place buildings. I've been using those 10' x 20' soft sheds in the short term for tractor storage, lawn mowers, other junk, etc. until I knew for certain how I wanted things laid out. I've changed my mind at least a dozen times over the past two years about layout, but I'm settling on some things now. Time to build... And on that note, time to log off and get to work!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 23rd 2016, 10:24 am

We had two horses growing up. I really enjoyed them for several years. High school we went to cars and sold the horses.

Yet I really enjoyed those horses...well except one time when that apoloosa bit me on the side of my belly... bruised for a week. In the 6th grade even that horse could sense a mad 6th grader and stayed way away from that bbgun in my hand.

After a few misses I just grumbled and left that horse to his own smiles.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 23rd 2016, 9:41 pm

They can be testy for sure, from what I'm seeing. They really are full of personality. Just some personalities are better than others, which is why when we finally do pull the trigger, it'll be for a horse that we can trust.

Apparently old fashioned horse traders are still alive and well these days. Supposedly they'll dope horses to make them apear docile and then you get it back to your farm and it's a raging lunatic.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore November 23rd 2016, 9:58 pm

Can you get a wife-sized portion of that stuff?

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 24th 2016, 5:20 am

Laughing you ain't right...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 24th 2016, 5:59 am

Happy Thanksgiving fellas. Hope you enjoy the day with family and friends.

As for me, I'm about to get the fryer going and fry four turkeys. My load has been reduced starting last year and continuing this year too because Cmdr Brian has started smoking a few of the turkeys and my brother started doing an outside roasted one.

Last year he put a sheet of metal on the ground with the turkey on a stand, then placed a fryer over it. After that he poured charcoal briquettes around the base and a pile on top of the pot. Lit it and when it was done, so was the bird. This year he bought a setup designed for this type of cooking with a trough around the bottom and one on top. Same thing, just makes it easier to keep the briquettes where you want them.

Should be a fun day with all 50 +/- people that will show up at the pastor's house. It's something he and his wife have been doing long before they ever started the church. Anyone who doesn't have family around is welcome to come. Carson and I started attending during that time period when my parents were divorced (after 8 yrs they got back together) and her parents lived in another state.

After attending this affair, I really couldn't imagine going back to just a few people around the table. Different strokes for different folks, but to me the big gathering feels like what it should be. Everyone bringing sides and desserts. Everyone helping to set up. Kids running around the yard playing. Etc.

Well, off to get the oil hot!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 24th 2016, 10:43 am

We always go to my older son's house (big enough for lots and lots of people). Ham and a couple of turkeys, one deep-fried. Football on TV, followed by football in the back yard with all the kids. Won't be long before my height advantage is outweighed by my age disadvantage.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 24th 2016, 10:57 am

How tall are you? I won't ask your age... Wink
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 24th 2016, 12:39 pm

I'm not the tallest, or the oldest one on this forum. I am non-descript, which allows me to get into places without being noticed. That's why the CIA hired m--- Where's the delete button!?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 24th 2016, 1:22 pm

Yeah I hear ya! You know with answers like that to questions, you'd fit right into the Democrat party....
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers November 24th 2016, 6:03 pm

Claymore wrote:Now you see what happens to a Sailor who has been in a Land-Locked State for too long!

That's called dry rot.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers November 24th 2016, 6:07 pm

I hope you guys all have a great thanksgiving weekend with your families!

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross November 24th 2016, 11:43 pm

It was a long day! Up at 5am and now getting home at nearly 12am. Fun and fellowship was had today.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 25th 2016, 9:00 am

House full of Thanksgiving folks. 1pm we leave the house and 10 of us are going backpacking to Richland Creek.

Perfect weather. 32 for a low and 62 for a high.

Fun and adventure. Wooo Whoo!
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 26th 2016, 10:37 am

A somber Colin Kaepernick will probably be asked by the media to comment on Castro's passing. In a recent interview, he was very big on him. Meanwhile, the celebrations continue in Miami's Little Havana.

Another of Communism's icons goes on to what awaits him. Anyone know if missionaries are allowed in Cuba yet?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett November 27th 2016, 5:21 pm

Claymore wrote:Can you get a wife-sized portion of that stuff?

I'll take a year's supply of that Philip!

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

November thread - Page 2 Empty Up in Kansas City for some training.

Post by Mark Jones November 29th 2016, 8:07 am

Well I shouldn't have but I did. Dropped into REI and blew through 540 smackers.

Got a really neat Finland Made Suunoto compass with a Jewlers movement in the compass. It was pricy 84.00 but wow that needle is precission. It doesn't bounce all over the place like the cheap ones do. It has a declination . . Nice none of my compasses have ever had this.

Got 75 feet of webbing for rappelling. A new climbing/rappelling harness. Figure 8 was only 15.00 bucks so picked that up. Purchased a MSR pocket rocket and ssome Teniacious tape (really good tape that goes through many many many washings and stays put.)

Salomon 4G hiking boots. My son loves his Salomon boots. I have been wearing Scarpas for many years....so went with these pricy 230.00 wearing them to break them in.

I did run off with one of REI's loaner boot socks....opps.

Up here in KC getting some at&t refresher courses. It's ok. Don't much care for hotels.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool November 29th 2016, 3:24 pm

With all that new gear, you should be able to get into some fancy AirBnB without paying.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next