RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

Flag achievement

+3
joecool
Claymore
Canadarangers
7 posters

Go down

Flag achievement Empty Flag achievement

Post by Canadarangers September 10th 2016, 12:24 pm

Help me understand something....

IN the RK Fox quarter one of the Achievement patches in the "flag" patch. The Spiritual requirement is to learn the pledge to the US flag.

How is that Spiritual? Granted, the pledge says "...one nation, under God..." I think that's kind pushing the limits though....

I am trying to Canadianize this achievement, I'll have to design a patch and get National to OK my boys to wear it.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Flag achievement Empty Re: Flag achievement

Post by Claymore September 10th 2016, 2:12 pm

I think that you could almost make an improvised Bible Lesson, talking of how we were founded as a Nation Under God, and that people came here to worship freely.

However,

You are correct, in that if they just memorize the Pledge and say those two words, it makes a pretty light Spiritual Meal.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 10th 2016, 5:40 pm

Canadarangers wrote: I'll have to design a patch and get National to OK my boys to wear it.

Always easier to get forgiveness than permission. A lot faster, too. When RR in the states dropped the US flag from the uniform, I found my own supplier and kept doing it. National doesn't always know what's best.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 11th 2016, 2:45 pm

My Dress uniform (My old Class B uniform) still has the US flag patch on it.
Collar bars too Very Happy

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 12th 2016, 12:29 pm

I feel given the division the flag patch was creating it was best to return to pre Marriott days of no patch. We still show flags in the rooms though.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 12th 2016, 1:02 pm

A problem with the flag on the shoulder was that, while it was well-intended, U.S. Protocol dictates that nothing shall be mounted or flown above the U.S. Flag.

And the way that National HQ dictated the flag be added to the uniform was in violation of Flag Protocol.

In order to comply with that Protocol, the shoulder patch would have to be removed and placed below the flag.

Good Intention; Logistical Hassle.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 12th 2016, 2:54 pm

Claymore wrote: U.S. Protocol dictates that nothing shall be mounted or flown above the U.S. Flag.

Flags, patches, whichever. Anyway, the only exception to the above that I'm aware of is onboard Navy ships: When a service onboard is being led by a chaplain, the church flag goes above the ensign. At least, that's the way it was as late as 2001. Who knows what may have changed since then? "Excuse me, sir, that's the head for females, and...oh, excuse me, zir, or whatever you want to be called."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 12th 2016, 4:17 pm

Even national HQ wanted to incorporate the flag into the upper part of the Dist geo patch it was a big deal because it was curved.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 14th 2016, 12:17 am

I did ask National about putting a Canadian Flag on our Uniform but it got shot down right away. When the Canada Region get enough and forms it's own head office that will be one of the changes made to the uniform.

We do have a Canadian flag in our Rooms.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 14th 2016, 12:17 pm

I think that it was kind-of a neat idea - even if you are, technically, under the Chain of Command for the U.S. R/R.

While wearing a uniform in the American Pattern, it would give your folks a special sense of distinction and identity.  I think that it would especially get positive attention at District and National Events.

It seems to me that, during WWII, when Canadian forces were part of the U.K., your troops had their own distinctive tab on the uniform.

I believe that JoeCool was correct on this one, "......better to seek forgiveness, than permission...".

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 14th 2016, 2:38 pm

Claymore wrote: ...during WWII...Canadian forces...had their own distinctive tab on the uniform...

At a park right here in my town is a monument/display that celebrates the First Special Service Force that trained here and later fought in different theaters during WWII. It's shoulder patch was a red arrowhead with "USA" and "Canada" on it. Many feel that this multi-national group was the first special forces unit.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 14th 2016, 10:50 pm

More than just FEEL it:

"The 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) was first constituted as the 1st Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Special Service Force on 9 July 1942 at Camp William Harrison, Montana. This specialized Canadian-United States unit was organized and trained to conduct commando raids against Nazi Germany's fledging nuclear weapons capability in the the Scandinavian region of occupied Europe. However, the unit was diverted to the campaign in the Aleutian Islands, where they were confronted by not only Japanese, but the brutal arctic climate.

Upon successful culmination of the Aleutian Campaign, the 1st Special Service Force was transferred to the European theater where they fought with distinction in both southern France and Italy, earning the nickname "The Devil's Brigade." The unit was awarded 6 campaign streamers for participation in the Second World War. The 1st Special Service Force was disbanded in France in 1945. It was reconstituted on 25 September 1953 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina as the 77th Special Forces.
"

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/7sfg.htm

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 15th 2016, 12:00 am

[quote="Claymore"] The 7th Special Forces Group [quote]

And if memory serves me right, the surviving members were awarded Congressional Gold Medals a couple of years ago.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 16th 2016, 6:57 am

When we started our outpost a few years ago, I would ask the then District Commander about different things to which he would tell me that he viewed outposts as being fairly autonomous. He told me to make the outpost what it needed to be to fit and reach the boys in our area. So I did...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 16th 2016, 9:50 am

DE-CENTRAL-IZED TRAINING!!

While the District/National Organization should be the source of Information and Training Materials, I have had the best fortune in tailoring the operation of our outposts to the skills of the Leaders and the needs of the boys.

My son told me that, back in Milwaukee, he went to a District Event, and a boy from another outpost asked my son what he did at Rangers. The inquiring boy was from a good church & outpost that ran the meetings "by the book". He had beads and leather-craft and other activities directed by the Program.

My son said, "We go Rappelling, do Compass Courses, Cross Country Skiing, Pugil Sticks, and shoot .22 Rifles.

The other kid said, "Boy! You guys are lucky!"

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 17th 2016, 9:28 pm

Amen. You guys are "Living the Adventure" So many outposts are loosing out on not taking these boys and girls outside the walls of the church and actually Living the Adventure. What we do in our meetings should be tailored after our next event. It only makes sense.

If we teach camping they will camp. If we teach hanging out in church that is all they will do. Our focus needs to move back to successful methods. Program feature should be built around what your getting ready to go and do.

I visited with several folks this past weekend at Fall Trace. Many of them want to get back to the things that work. What we have today isn't working. Our lowest attended FCF Fall Trace in Years and Years.
We have to get back to showing them how to camp in the rain and make it enjoyable. Otherwise they just stay home and look at their cell phones.

Tell your guys they are doing a great job. It takes work and it takes time and resources but once it get's to rolling you will find Rangers exciting and Living the Adventure is way cool ministry.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down