RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool Today at 3:08 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool May 13th 2024, 8:45 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17127 messages in 1006 subjects

October 2022 Thread

3 posters

Go down

October 2022 Thread Empty October 2022 Thread

Post by joecool October 1st 2022, 2:51 pm

Football in the cold rain. It doesn't get much better than that, especially when your 8th grade grandson is the running back. The coach sat him down after 2-1/2 quarters, having scored 3 touchdowns and totaling 260 yards. Another 105 yards and 2 touchdowns were called back due to penalties. Playoffs in 2 weeks. Go Rams!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

October 2022 Thread Empty Re: October 2022 Thread

Post by joecool October 8th 2022, 4:58 pm

Took a nice Fall drive through the countryside today, though there aren't many deciduous trees among the pines. It occurred to me that it must be incredibly difficult/expensive to start up a ranch these days. Those that I saw have likely been in the same family for multiple generations.

For the vast majority of Americans, we don't have a ranch, farm or business that we can pass on to our kids. In light of that, what CAN we gift to the next generation that will give them a good start? Well, we can teach our kids to...
- Worship (the Creator)
- Work (hard and honestly)
- Wait (for rewards)
- Welcome (others into your circle)
- Wed (well)
- Win (in the end)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 8th 2022, 5:25 pm

joecool wrote:

For the vast majority of Americans, we don't have a ranch, farm or business that we can pass on to our kids.

My parents owned a farm in Wisconsin, and I was the only boy. I could have taken over the farm, if I wished. But I knew that it takes a very special and talented person to successfully operate an agricultural business.

You have to know horticulture, insect control, veterinary medicine, tractor & machine mechanics, and money management.

When we had dairy cattle, they didn't take a day off for Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, your birthday, their birthday, the flu, or broken bones. They had to be cared for EVERY morning and evening. If you think that it is difficult to get up, get cleaned up, and go to church on Sunday, imagine having to take 3 hours to bring in a herd of Holsteins from the pasture, feed them grain, milk them, and clean the milking equipment, prior to taking your own shower or shaving or having breakfast, and then getting off to church.

When my father passed away, my sister stayed on the farm with Mom, and she badly wanted to take it over. The crop land was rented out to a grower, but she went around the pastures with a John Deere tractor and kept the weeds mowed down (as the dairy operation was discontinued).

I wasn't there to keep an eye on things. I learned that she mowed for two years and never checked the oil in the tractor. She said that it started making a funny noise, then started clanking, but she kept mowing. Then it stopped dead. A $20,000.00 tractor/mower was sold for $500 for parts.

You can't do that very often, and turn a profit as a farmer.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 October 8th 2022, 6:39 pm

Claymore wrote: I wasn't there to keep an eye on things.  I learned that she mowed for two years and never checked the oil in the tractor.  She said that it started making a funny noise, then started clanking, but she kept mowing.  Then it stopped dead.  A $20,000.00 tractor/mower was sold for $500 for parts.

You can't do that very often, and turn a profit as a farmer.

No
that sounds rahter the opposite of profit October 2022 Thread 2410941

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 12th 2022, 12:49 pm

Immortal potholes. The unpaved entrance road to our subdivision immediately goes uphill, and potholes always form due to poor rainwater drainage. Someone bid $4900 to bring in more material to help with the problem, but we've done that once before, and it only lasted two years.

On top of that, we have uphill zombie washboards, too. Scrape them smooth with a grader and they're back within a month. The cause of that is people being unwilling to slow down. One of the residents is threatening to put in multiple speed bumps. But the sheriff says that makes us liable if the bumps cause an accident.

Any experience/advice out there on either problem?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 13th 2022, 11:45 am

Don't know. It looks like crowning the road and crushed stone with various densities from 1" to finer are about the best bets.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 13th 2022, 2:22 pm

A couple of things revealed in the last 48 hours:

1) Standing in front of the media a year ago, Dept of Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas was trashing mounted Border Patrol agents for "whipping" illegal aliens. It turns out that he had already been told that the story was false. But the fake story fit their narrative, so he went with it. Biden added that "They will pay!" and Harris compared it to slavery.

2) When Biden was lobbying the Saudis not to cut their oil output (and was told to pound sand), he wasn't really interested in helping American consumers with runaway inflation. Instead, he had asked them to delay the cuts by one month only...just until after the election.  

These people do not have America's best interests at heart. For whatever reason (fill in the blank) they are beholden to the elites and what they plan for us. "You will own nothing, and be happy."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 15th 2022, 3:40 pm

Grandson scored on a 75-yard run and a 99-yard catch. Championship game on Thursday. Slipped him $20 afterwards and told him to keep mum. Don't want to jeopardize his amateur status. Wink
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 22nd 2022, 5:08 pm

joecool wrote: Championship game on Thursday.

Lost the game, but it was fantastic football weather. And now we're getting the first snow of the season. Time to get out the hot chocolate and sit by the window. Our "pet" squirrel spent months stockpiling pine cones under our deck. If I was outside working the BBQ, he'd bark at me to get out of his way.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 October 26th 2022, 8:35 am

My sons high school football season is over too. Wasn't a great season they were 3 & 6. But they played some really tough teams including last years state Champs. Sadly he spent most of the season standing on the sidelines. He mostly just went out for kickoffs & punts. He usully would get in for a few minutes on defense late in the game.
He is having a lot of trouble with is knees. He is thinking about wrestling this fall. I think he should take the winter off & rest his body up so he is ready for baseball in the spring.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 26th 2022, 1:21 pm

ccm2361 wrote: He is having a lot of trouble with is knees. He is thinking about wrestling this fall. I think he should take the winter off & rest his body up  so he is ready for baseball in the spring.

My boys are in their 40's now and they both have had knee glitches since HS football. My grandson had to sit out his junior year of this year's football, due to a nagging knee problem from the previous season. My advice to your son is to switch to another sport. All he has to really worry about in wresting are cauliflower ears...and broken arms, etc.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down