RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

September 2018

+2
RRCmdrBennett
Claymore
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

September 2018 Empty September 2018

Post by Claymore September 2nd 2018, 5:25 pm

It's about time for this Month's Thread.

Two days into September.

The Flurry of Activity is Overwhelming......

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

September 2018 Empty Re: September 2018

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 2nd 2018, 7:29 pm

Thanks Claymore you’re the Man. Last couple weeks been busy in school in Indianapolis.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 2nd 2018, 11:38 pm

Bless your heart, Dan, but I don't think that opening the September Thread will be the Distinction that my kids pass down for generations.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

September 2018 Empty Caleb's Eagle Project

Post by Roguedawg September 3rd 2018, 10:20 am

My son started his Eagle project this past Saturday.  His project is at a local park called "Round Top Park".  He had to get old telephone pole yanked out of the ground as posts and rails to a trail head parking area and replace with new pressure treated posts and hemlock rails.  

He had the scout troop, church youth group, and the church men's ministry help out.  It was a good mix of workers.  The old holes had been filled for safety reasons and we were hoping they would be easy to dig out, but like how everything goes, it was not the case.  We had one tow behind auger and two hand held augers, 5 clam shells, 4 pry bars going all day.  I think we dug up every rock the that park had to offer.  

We got all the holes dug, poles set in and concrete poured.  We went up yesterday to clean up the furring strips and masonary spikes and it looked really good.  We had two posts that were off about 1/4 inch by looking at the strings, but by eye, they looked perfect.

Caleb said that he felt like he wasn't doing anything all day except for running around.  I told him that he was the General Contractor or GC for the project and that he was managing the workers....he was doing his job.  So he felt better after that.  He said he was having fun and it was nice to see the progress done at the end of the day.  I mentioned that God gave us a 4 letter word called "WORK" for our benefit and that is was no a swear word.

Pastor Josiah was an animal using the auger, bar, and clam shells.  A pair of scout brothers noticed him going nuts.  I told him that he was our youth pastor and an Eagle Scout.  So they went over and was talking to him at lunch time.  I get double duty out of him since he has been leading worship and a devotion at our scout camp outs.  I saw him a church yesterday and he was a hurting unit.  

So as it stands now, Caleb is about half done with the project.  He has youth camp next week-end, but the following week-end he is having another work session.  He has to hold off a while to paint, since the PT wood and hemlock has to dry.

I did save a very large stone that was dug up.  I am going to paint it red, white, and blue and put an Eagle in the center of it.  I will have everybody that worked on the project sign it and present it to him at his Eagle ceremony.

This "Round Top Park Commission" has its act together.  The have been growing the park over several decades.  They rent out the park pavilions and sink the money back into the park.  The highly utilize local scout troops for service projects and Eagle projects.  So the labor and project design is free.  In exchange, the troop members get service time, the scout gets Eagle projects, and the troop gets to camp there for free both when the park is open or closed for the season.  Even our old Outpost 375 could camp for free and we had a district powwow there and a GMA project.  The GMA project was the first project of installing parking lot posts and rails 9 years ago.  What is nice is that the youth does not have to fund raise or pay for materials.  The park commission holds a planning meeting, the youth presents their project idea, it gets approved or modified, and they inspect it after completion. No babysitting either which they clearly state at the meeting.  The park commission has either Eagle scouts or sons that are Eagle scouts as members.  So they have a good thing going for them.

My daughter is going through the process of getting her Girl Scout Gold Award project being approved.  She will be the first Girl Scout to do this after 40 years of Eagle Projects.  She is making 4 picnic tables and one serving table.  The difficult thing with her is that they have to be made out of white oak and they will be very heavy.  You also just can't put a wood screw though the wood either.  Every hole has to be pre-drilled and carriage bolts put into place.  It is also hard to find white oak in the area since it is not bringing in the money for loggers and the saw mills.  We did find one mill that had just enough oak sitting for a year drying.  We hope it is dry enough by now.  What is nice is that the projects can be made in my garage day or night, rain or shine.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 6th 2018, 6:58 pm

I appreciate it when a business flies the American flag. But walking into my favorite store yesterday, I noticed that the flag was way beyond needing replacement. "We know that, sir, we have one on order." I told them about the flag shop down the road. "You could get one right away, and support local businesses at the same time." Blank stare.

That's actually the second time at our Home Depot. I also had to do the same thing at the local GOP HQ. If you're going to do the flag, do it right.

I'll continue my rant with Kaepernick's recent Nike announcement. A 10-year contract to be their spokesman? For trashing our country? For being willing to "sacrifice it all"? He's making more $ than most NFL QBs now. Boycott Nike products. Just do it.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 11th 2018, 10:11 am

joecool wrote:I appreciate it when a business flies the American flag. But walking into my favorite store yesterday, I noticed that the flag was way beyond needing replacement. "We know that, sir, we have one on order." I told them about the flag shop down the road. "You could get one right away, and support local businesses at the same time." Blank stare.

That's actually the second time at our Home Depot. I also had to do the same thing at the local GOP HQ. If you're going to do the flag, do it right.

I'll continue my rant with Kaepernick's recent Nike announcement. A 10-year contract to be their spokesman? For trashing our country? For being willing to "sacrifice it all"? He's making more $ than most NFL QBs now. Boycott Nike products. Just do it.

I notice that about Walmart. Flies in the rain, tattered, and torn. They do light it up at night. So, what is your stance on the old flag patch debate when Marsh wanted to incorporate it into the district geo patch?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 11th 2018, 10:21 am

Claymore wrote:Bless your heart, Dan, but I don't think that opening the September Thread will be the Distinction that my kids pass down for generations.

Most of us will be remembered for little things we do consistently not the ultra cool clandestine ops. You’ll be remembered for both! I’m aiming to be more positive than before. I am sure I speak for Chris when I say we appreciate our regulars being active.

In other news while in the Indianapolis “sector” I stopped over at Point Blank Range which is in slingshot range of my hotel next door. Picked up my first Kel-tec the KSG 12 ga bullpup! Surprised me with a free pass to the range too.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 11th 2018, 2:42 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:
Claymore wrote:Bless your heart, Dan, but I don't think that opening the September Thread will be the Distinction that my kids pass down for generations.

Most of us will be remembered for little things we do consistently not the ultra cool clandestine ops. You’ll be remembered for both!  I’m aiming to be more positive than before. I am sure I speak for Chris when I say we appreciate our regulars being active.

In other news while in the Indianapolis “sector” I stopped over at Point Blank Range which is in slingshot range of my hotel next door. Picked up my first Kel-tec the KSG 12 ga bullpup!  Surprised me with a free pass to the range too.

A new mouth (or magazine tube) to feed.................

Well, I wasn't going to bring it up, but I have been putting together a project, because I have only one "job jar" overflowing, and want to work on two.....

Look this up on Wikipedia.................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 11th 2018, 6:50 pm

Claymore wrote: Well, I wasn't going to bring it up, but I have been putting together a project, because I have only one "job jar" overflowing, and want to work on two.....Look this up on Wikipedia..........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

I think I understood the article, but now I'm trying to figure out what you're doing. Too easy to just buy some. Hmmmmm.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 11th 2018, 6:55 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote: So, what is your stance on the old flag patch debate when Marsh wanted to incorporate it into the district geo patch?

I'm not familiar with the debate, but I gather some were against any representation of Old Glory that wasn't the flag. Personally, I'm all for showing the flag in any form, as long as it's respectful. When GPH quit selling flag patches for uniforms (at national's request?), I found my own source.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 11th 2018, 11:25 pm

joecool wrote:
RRCmdrBennett wrote: So, what is your stance on the old flag patch debate when Marsh wanted to incorporate it into the district geo patch?

I'm not familiar with the debate, but I gather some were against any representation of Old Glory that wasn't the flag. Personally, I'm all for showing the flag in any form, as long as it's respectful. When GPH quit selling flag patches for uniforms (at national's request?), I found my own source.

A directive was put out after September 11, allowing a modification to the Khaki Uniform by adding a U.S. Flag to the sleeve, to show patriotism and support.

One of the problems was that the U.S. Flag was added to the uniform by being sewn UNDERNEATH the Royal Ranger Emblem. While I am sure that it was not meant to be disrespectful, anyone who is aware of Flag Protocol knows that this is a violation. So uniform patches would have to be re-done in order to accommodate the directive of adding the flag.

This directive came at/about the time when National HQ was making a Not-So-Subtle "Putsch" of any association with the U.S. Armed Forces. This well-intended ignorance was a by-product of that policy.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 11th 2018, 11:39 pm

joecool wrote:
Claymore wrote: Well, I wasn't going to bring it up, but I have been putting together a project, because I have only one "job jar" overflowing, and want to work on two.....Look this up on Wikipedia..........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

I think I understood the article, but now I'm trying to figure out what you're doing. Too easy to just buy some. Hmmmmm.

I have a Stainless Steel Smith & Wesson 4506 Pistol with a fully supported Barrel Feed Ramp.  

On our Department, I was a School Trained Smith & Wesson (Gen-3) Semiautomatic Pistol Armorer.

So, I've purchased $40.00 worth of springs and 400 rounds of .45 Super Brass.  I took the Pistol apart and replaced the 14-pound recoil spring with a 21-pound spring, replaced the 15-pound mainspring with a 21-pound spring, and replaced the firing pin return spring with a +10% extra power spring.  

It functions fine with +P ammunition, and even Full-House Ball Ammo.  Now I need to set up my dies on my reloading machine and work up a nice Full Horsepower Load on the .45 Super Charts.

Some problems are best-solved by a 185 grain Flying Ashtray traveling at 1300 Feet Per Second.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg September 12th 2018, 6:32 pm

Claymore wrote:
joecool wrote:

A directive was put out after September 11, allowing a modification to the Khaki Uniform by adding a U.S. Flag to the sleeve, to show patriotism and support.

One of the problems was that the U.S. Flag was added to the uniform by being sewn UNDERNEATH the Royal Ranger Emblem.  While I am sure that it was not meant to be disrespectful, anyone who is aware of Flag Protocol knows that this is a violation.  So uniform patches would have to be re-done in order to accommodate the directive of adding the flag.

This directive came at/about the time when National HQ was making a Not-So-Subtle "Putsch" of any association with the U.S. Armed Forces.  This well-intended ignorance was a by-product of that policy.

The other issue people had with the American flag was that someone from national took the liberty to alter the shape of the flag.  It was an arrogant idea to say the least.  When following the Flag Code, there was a kiss off about it from national.  There are length and width ratios to be maintained with the American Flag.  Just because you run a flag up the pole doesn't mean people are going to salute it.  

National would have been better to just place the Christian Flag on the uniform and the need for other country's flag would have been taken care of.  We are just visitors here on earth for a short period of time and are final residence would be in heaven.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 14th 2018, 6:19 am

It HAS been a busy month so far.
After being a home school family for the last 12 years, my wife decided she could not do it any more. (she has had some health issues) So both our kids started public school 3 weeks ago. So far so good. I am still working nights driving truck. I want to get back on days & have been looking for a new job, but no luck there. But word has reached my ears, that my position may be converted to a day position. cheers
Our new company president is shaking up a lot of things & want's to move all of our night workers (Myself, & 5 2nd shift order pickers) back on to days.
I am assuming the goal is to save money (by eliminating the 50 cent per hour night premium)
I am all for it, not the losing money part, but the back on days part.

Time will tell.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 14th 2018, 7:55 am

ccm2361 wrote: After being a home school family for the last 12 years... both our kids started public school 3 weeks ago. So far so good...my position may be converted to a day position.

I applaud your home schooling. I did it for a grand-daughter for one year, so I can relate to the amount of work involved. Your kids may find the curriculum and pace a little slow in the public system. Keep an eye on what they're being taught outside the books. If you have a strong school board, there may be less for you to worry about.

You mean we might be seeing more of you on this forum? Bonus!

joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 14th 2018, 9:34 pm

Our area is very conservative & the school district is a lot less liberal than most.
The high school allows a local pastor to come in & host a Bible study during lunch on Fridays.
He brings pizza-so that gets him an audience. Cool good pizza too.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 14th 2018, 9:36 pm

Hang on there Phillip. Looks like you are in for a couple bad days. rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain rain

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 15th 2018, 12:36 am

ccm2361 wrote:
He brings pizza-so that gets him an audience. Cool  good pizza too.

That sounds like Authority that is derived from First-Hand Real-Life Experience.............

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 16th 2018, 6:57 pm

One morning this week it was 33 degrees, so I spent all afternoon "winterizing" the outdoor stuff. Even found time to build a new work table in the little insulated shop that I had built in the garage earlier this year. It will be nice to work in there this winter without my hands sticking to the steel tools.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 16th 2018, 10:17 pm

In January, I can put my tongue on a hammer head outside, and it doesn't stick.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 16th 2018, 11:02 pm

Claymore wrote:In January, I can put my tongue on a hammer head outside, and it doesn't stick.  

I can't see you doing that, especially with a flag pole, when the risk is high. But I can visualize you saying "You'll shoot yer eye out."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 21st 2018, 2:43 pm

Made it!  Got my class A!  Examiner said, “how you feel about going home today?”  I was excited enough to have church right there in the cab!  

Special thanks to admin for some awesome advice to fixing my backing maneuvers and it all clicked!  

Upon passing, the exam office gives out the C1 Trucking poker chip like the avatar with C1 on front and rig on the back. Early morning I have a 5hr trip back to Ohio. I’ll start my tsa background check since I have hazmat and tanker written endorsements passed. Hazmat is needed for two additional bonuses of $500 each plus the $250 I received in school. I’m going to the range next door to my hotel and break in my new Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm I found at a shop here. Shot the KSG Bull-pup 12 ga last week very nice.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 21st 2018, 3:26 pm

Congrats, Dan.

Get rich, trucking (but not too rich).

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 21st 2018, 10:10 pm

Claymore wrote:Congrats, Dan.

Get rich, trucking (but not too rich).

Thanks definitely want balance as well.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 21st 2018, 10:16 pm

I had fun shooting the new Kel-tec sub 2000. Shots hit exactly where I sighted it. Took a classmate to the range for their first time. Got some cleaning to do tomorrow. I love teaching a newbie.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content