RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 Today at 10:23 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17130 messages in 1006 subjects

Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders

+3
Claymore
joecool
AlexL
7 posters

Go down

Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders Empty Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders

Post by AlexL October 26th 2015, 1:54 pm

Hi All,

I have a parent who has a RR heart and is willing to help with the program as an assistant to any of our ranger commanders, only problem is, that he is not a church member his wife is. They're going through their moment and he just wants to help out. Is this a good or bad thing. I've been told that cannot be a leader although he is not because he's not a church member that if he wants to participate in the program as an assistant he should come to church on Sunday... I really don't know how to go about this. He has come for a few Friday and is a great asset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
God Bless!

AlexL

Back to top Go down

Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders Empty Re: Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders

Post by joecool October 26th 2015, 2:51 pm

It's wise for a church to require that adults who work in children's ministries be members of that church. (And it's mandatory that background checks be performed!)

That being said, some of my outpost boys attended other churches. They came to us because they liked Rangers. A couple of their dads wanted to help out wherever needed, so I used them as supervisors for games and building projects, and sometimes as guest speakers for merits they had experience in. But I never used them to help with planning events, meetings or spiritual things, like Bible lessons and prayer time. They were cool with that.

This will likely whet his appetite for helping Rangers at a higher level and he may seek membership in order to do that.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders Empty Re: Parents non church memebers want to participate as assistant leaders

Post by AlexL October 26th 2015, 3:14 pm

This is a great idea as for the future. The problem with this parent in particular is that he used to be a commander for our outpost a few years ago, he also comes with us to all pow wows and used to be a faithful member until of course the separation.

AlexL

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 26th 2015, 4:46 pm

People issues have a way of complicating things, don't they? Okay, I'm assuming, then, that this former commander used to be a member of your church? Was his separation from his wife the reason why he isn't a member anymore? Was this a theological decision by leadership? Or did he step away because it was awkward sitting in a different pew? Hopefully, they're going through counseling.

Since I can't make a decision for your church, these are all just nosy questions, I suppose. um I guess my earlier thoughts will have to do.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 26th 2015, 7:14 pm

I, personally, don't have a problem with a non-member being a Ranger Leader.  What is Church Membership, anyway?

Here is my personal experience.  My wife moved down here about a year before me, while I was fixing up and selling our house in Milwaukee.  So she had been an attendee at our church for about 2 years, and I had been here for about a year.

The Pastor was desperately looking for a boys' leader (as they were miserable in a "Wednesday Night Sunday School") and they were making certain that the leader (often the Pastor) was miserable, too.

When he learned that I had been a R/R Commander, he had us over for supper at his house (you know there's a hook in that), and presented me with the Program Material & asked me to consider starting a Pioneers for Christ Program here.  It looked like a good program, but I recommended Rangers, because of more availability of uniforms (how long is a white shirt going to last on an 11-year-old boy?), study materials, and National Support.

Now, the rub is this....

I was NOT a Church Member when he asked me to start the Program and he did not make it a requirement (we were financial supporting attendees).  In fact, we did not become members until 18 months later, when he offered my wife the position of Church Secretary, and stated that Membership was a requirement of that job......understandable.

With all due respect to JoeCool's overall position, I know plenty of "members" that I would not consider as Fit teachers for the boys.  (But then, I jumped out of a U.S.  Airplane with the Jumpmaster being a Sergeant-Major from the German Army.  So I kind-of trust Expertise over Membership.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones October 26th 2015, 7:38 pm

Put him to work after he passes a screening test. We have 70 AG churches in our Springfield Sections. We cross paths between them all the time. As long as he is a professing Christain holding to the Fundementals and living the life of a Christian. Put him to work.

Mark Jones

AlexL wrote:
Hi All,

I have a parent who has a RR heart and is willing to help with the program as an assistant to any of our ranger commanders, only problem is, that he is not a church member his wife is. They're going through their moment and he just wants to help out. Is this a good or bad thing. I've been told that cannot be a leader although he is not because he's not a church member that if he wants to participate in the program as an assistant he should come to church on Sunday... I really don't know how to go about this. He has come for  a few Friday and is a great asset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
God Bless!
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 26th 2015, 10:27 pm

I would have to agree as long as there isn't an ongoing sin issue on his part that caused the separation from his wife. As in, if he's shacked up with someone. Other than something that would cause an issue on a background like abuse, etc., or a currently lived sin situation, then I'd say go ahead too.

Of course you definitely want your pastor's blessing in it, so you don't cause problems for yourself.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 26th 2015, 11:20 pm

(Preceding Caveat: I read this post, and it sounds a bit harsh.  It is not meant to be, and especially if my stand is slightly different from yours.  It is not meant to be offensive.  This is just how it happened.)

I attended our last Church for 5 years prior to becoming a member.  I had also been a R/R Commander there for about a year prior to becoming a member.

I have seen people come to the Church "all on fire" and become members within 3 months of first attending the Church.  4 months later, they become disillusioned with the Church, or someone said something that they didn't like, or they saw something shiny someplace else, and they left.  

So who adds more to the Church Foundation; the "non-members" who have been there for five years; wife teaches Rainbows & husband teaches Rangers, or the couple who become members and are gone three months later?

In my opinion, membership for membership's sake is nothing.  The only value that I have seen in it is if you wish to vote or to have a position on the Church Council.  I do not consider a Commander (or even Senior Commander) to be a Church Leadership Position, because he has authority over no-one in the Church, other than in Royal Rangers.

To me, "Membership" means that you completely put yourself under the Authority of the Church at Local, State, and National Level, and that you will completely abide with all of its teachings and dogmas. As a "Member", I will not be in open conflict with the teachings & opinions of the Church. If the Administration has an Opinion that I do not believe in, I just keep my mouth shut, and try to not let it bother me.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers October 26th 2015, 11:29 pm

AlexL wrote:
Hi All,

I have a parent who has a RR heart and is willing to help with the program as an assistant to any of our ranger commanders, only problem is, that he is not a church member his wife is. They're going through their moment and he just wants to help out. Is this a good or bad thing. I've been told that cannot be a leader although he is not because he's not a church member that if he wants to participate in the program as an assistant he should come to church on Sunday... I really don't know how to go about this. He has come for  a few Friday and is a great asset.

I would go with what your pastor tells you. He is in charge of your program, He might know something that he can't tell you the details of. If he says no, he cannot be a leader, ask if he can still help. It would a great way to get and keep this man connected to the church. But ultimately you need to respect the Pastor's decision.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 27th 2015, 12:53 am

Aren't we all members of one body through his blood?

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 27th 2015, 6:44 am

Well since this post has swerved slightly, then I don't feel like as much like a post hijacker....

But we don't do "membership" at all. We can't find one place in the Bible that supports such a notion of becoming an "official member" of any group of believers, other than the main and only "member sign up" achieved by accepting what Christ did for our filthy, non-worthy selves.

Now we do require a criminal background check if someone wants to work with children, do visitation,  etc. But even then, that only shows the less skilled criminals  (those who've been caught and convicted). But it's a decent line of defense. After that, we have a strict code of two or more ministry and the like. And never a man and woman alone together. Seen too much of that crap from people that you wouldn't have thought would do it. But now I'm really digressing.

So basically a long way to say something similar to what's already been said. People are gonna do what they're gonna do, whether they've signed a card or not....
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones October 27th 2015, 7:20 am

Yes and that even cross denomination lines. By HIS blood we are all set free for those that believe in Him and what He has done for us.

God is good all the time.

Mark Jones

RRCmdrBennett wrote:Aren't we all members of one body through his blood?
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool October 27th 2015, 10:34 am

Other than being able to vote on church business items, the only other benefit about membership is...

...A denomination's official membership count determines how many chaplains of each denomination are in the military.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexL October 27th 2015, 10:59 am

Just want to give a brief report about this parent.

He is there for any event concerning his family, whether it is crowning for his daughter in girls ministry or council of achievement for his son, or pow for his son, he's always there to help and is there for his family at all times. This separation doesn't look like a separation (weird).
The person who spoke to me about him, and that he needs to come to Sunday service is a leader from the church.
I brought this up to the pastor's son who is like the co pastor, I'm still awaiting response.
I see it as a way of this man re integrating himself to church through the word. Again he is not the main leader, he is helping the main leader. But he is far more passionate than most of my leaders at the time...

AlexL

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 27th 2015, 11:11 am

I'm not making light of it, but Separations Happen.

I am not saying that we should overlook or approve of them, but we DO have to deal with them.

I remember being in Milwaukee and having "Tommy Smith" in my outpost, meeting his mother and calling her "Mrs Smith".

The reply would often be, "No, my name is Jones. Smith was my first husband".

I thought that, here in the Southern Bible Belt, things would be different with the boys all from stable, long-term marriages.

Bull..............

People are the same here in the Southern Bible Belt as they are in the Industrial Midwest.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 28th 2015, 7:37 pm

Except down there ya'll are just more polite, greet strangers in the mall, and pass out bible tracts! I had someone give me a tract in KY last year. Never had one in MD or OH.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones October 29th 2015, 7:27 am

Life is good then your wife gets a whim and leaves you.  I have seen it down here in Springfield and the folks worked for GPH (they no longer work there..grin).  I agree people are people no matter where they are.  We all need Jesus.  With out him we are a stinking pile of carnality.  Some of my best friends have been married multiple times.  I know that is not what God wants but His Grace is enough.  We just have to love them and put them to work in God's kingdom.

Mark Jones
I have to remind myself to keep my eyes on Jesus as man/woman will let you down every time.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 29th 2015, 11:04 am

Amen Mark!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum