RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» May 2024 Thread
by joecool May 17th 2024, 10:35 am

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool May 11th 2024, 11:12 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17129 messages in 1006 subjects

New to RR - FCF 101?

+4
red squirrel
RRCmdrBennett
strods
esantos8301
8 posters

Go down

New to RR - FCF 101? Empty New to RR - FCF 101?

Post by esantos8301 December 31st 2014, 7:58 am

I know this is a super broad question. Wanted to know more about FCF. I have checked out the national FCF website, but I must say I am still a bit unsure on how to get started. More importantly, is it the way our group should go. I see that the TRacClub has FCF merits for both DR (blue) and AR (blue, green, silver). Is FCF something my entire group of Ranges would go through, or is it perhaps something for a sub-grop of my rangers?

esantos8301
esantos8301
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

New to RR - FCF 101? Empty Re: New to RR - FCF 101?

Post by Mark Jones December 31st 2014, 1:52 pm

FCF is for Adventure Rangers and older. Yet Discovery Rangers can work on the merits that count towards FCF membership.

Royal Rangers is to be core. FCF is to be above and beyond. To give and to serve.

That's the official word. Yet I know outposts that get along fine pushing the FCF theme and raise up their younger boys into FCF type camping. So when they are of age they fit nicely into FCF.

I do both Rangers and FCF. I am the Company Clerk for our District, So. Missouri. I keep the records of the Chapter.

In our Outpost of about 65 active we have about 10 in FCF active.

FCF is a lot of fun and it draws the attention of boys.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by strods December 31st 2014, 3:04 pm

Clarification question. Do you plan/want to be a camping outpost? There is no rule saying you have to be, but many of us have found success in it and much of the merit work lends itself to it.

If you are thn I feel FCF is a great option to promote those skills

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by esantos8301 December 31st 2014, 3:17 pm

strods wrote:Clarification question. Do you plan/want to be a camping outpost?  There is no rule saying you have to be, but many of us have found success in it and much of the merit work lends itself to it.

To be honest, our outpost is so new that I am looking at all options. I know there are new tracks (arts, tech, sports, etc) but my heart is outdoors/camping. The culture has changed since our church last had RR. Most of the boys in my group are inner city. They are mostly into sports. Sadly, most do not have a dad at home. I think being a camping outpost /FCF could lay a great foundation to learning the things most boys should know (in my opinion).  I guess I was wondering if FCF is above and beyond RR, or if FCF can just be the way our outpost does RR.

If you are thn I feel FCF is a great option to promote those skills

Last edited by esantos8301 on December 31st 2014, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new to this :))

esantos8301
esantos8301
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by strods December 31st 2014, 3:36 pm

FCF is the way we run ours. In fact, when we started I promoted Survival skills, using shows like Dual Survival, Survivorman,Man vs Wild, & the like.

If your heart is in it Follow it.

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by strods January 4th 2015, 8:16 am

Though it's not specifically RR, a good book to give mentality of what we are trying to do is Raising a Modern Day Knight. It's about training manhood and much of it can be directly translated into RR, and FCF.

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett January 9th 2015, 6:43 pm

Inner city can do well camping. In my old Eastern section of Potomac we had an all inner city outpost that was all black. So I say its hogwash when people say camping can't work for certain cultures, locales, or people groups. You are exposing them to real world practical skills giving them something they can't find anywhere else.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 12th 2015, 11:06 pm

I think there's something that happens in boys AND men out in the woods that is both irreplaceable and invaluable. Whether you go to the woods FCF style or modern is like asking if riding a Harley is better than a sport bike... The answer all depends on the individual, but either one is great!! 

Our outpost is only a couple years old. Our original goal was to become FCF oriented, but it hasn't happened just yet. We're still developing skills and equipment to camp period! Maybe one day we'll have a core group that makes that transition to FCF style activities. I definitely like the idea of it, but it hasn't come to fruition for us yet. 

But I can't stress enough the importance, IMHO, to camp! Smile
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by red squirrel January 13th 2015, 9:17 am

Howdy!

A quick reply for now. Here is an article I wrote to alert and inform folks as to what FCF is and does. It is on the IL-FCF web site.

http://ilfcf.org/2014/11/17/what-is-fcf/

FCF supports RR's. One has to achieve merits or training inside RR's to get into FCF. FCF then pours back into rangers by developing more in depth relationships with the boys. You can cater your outpost however you feel God is leading you. Camping is great, and there is no replacement for it in terms of location-location-location and ministry. The atmosphere is amazing, and for some reason God moves significantly when there is nothing man made between you and the stars.

Having said that, new requirements are out, and boys can get to the Frontier Adventure (what we call the weekend where you test for FCF membership) with earning the Bronze medal. E1 for the ER aged boys. So, they could essentially be there having never camped before.

Its a great ministry!

Simeon
red squirrel
red squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 13th 2015, 10:47 am

I know I'm gonna get flak for this (maybe), but how in the world can you get into a frontiersman style group without having any outdoor skills???? Otherwise you're just playing "dress up"....

To me, that's as silly as someone throwing on some racing leathers and wanting a race license when they've never even ridden a motorcycle.... No.

To me its just more of the same "political correctness" that's destroying our culture. You stink at baseball? Here's a trophy anyway so you don't feel bad... You don't know the answers on the test? We'll just give you a passing grade anyway so you don't feel bad.. 

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my opinion.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by red squirrel January 14th 2015, 8:53 am

Howdy!

Well, I can see your point. Please allow me to maybe shed some light, so to speak.

I might ask the question, what if the motorcycle racing were about ministry, and NOT only about riding or the actual motorcycles? What if one could get interested in riding when he for the first time put on those racing leathers and sat on someone else's bike? Like using the motorcycles as a tool to get one's interest for the purpose of future ministry. What if then with that small peak of interest, it would allow others who already have their license to minister to that man or boy in a greater capacity?

This to me is exactly what is happening, and why the rules have changed again. While I wish they would stop changing requirements and settle on something, I also know I am still called to the ministry. That being said, I have to come to grips with any new changes coming down, and minister to the boys and men who are in front of me regardless of what happens that I have no control over.

If a lad who has never had the opportunity to camp is standing in front of me wanting to get into FCF, I will treat him just like the lad who camps out in the woods in his back yard rather than sleeping on his nice comfy bed each night. If the first lad who has never camped before now has a serious interest in camping and history, I get to minister to him for much longer than before when I would not have had that opportunity before.

To me its not about rewarding someone for lack of work, its exposing someone who has not been exposed before, in hopes of being able to speak into their lives for longer, and with more opportunities. A lad can not attend an FCF camp without camping anyways, and the chances of a lad coming to a Frontier Adventure without having camped first is very slim.

I know of two men, commanders who didnt even know what FCF really was go through their Frontier Adventure 3 years ago because their outpost coordinator strongly suggested it. Camping is NOT their strong suit. But they have plugged in strongly where they can, and are an extremely valuable asset to the ministry. I can call on them, and they answer.

Please note also, I am NOT offended. It is hard to see the other side of the wheel at times. For me personally though, I look at everything I can with the question "how will this help ministry". In this case it can, even though it may be contrary to personal thoughts. But still, I must minister where I am called.

For others, mileage may vary.
Wink Smile

S
red squirrel
red squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 14th 2015, 11:38 pm

I totally "get" what you're saying about reaching out. And I agree that we should use every opportunity TO reach out, but isn't that why there's an FCF village set up st Pow Wow and other Ranger events? To give that taste, to let them "sit on the bikes" so to speak?

I just think the issue goes much deeper than what most want to admit, IMHO. I think the church as a whole is selling a gospel that Jesus didn't. It says you can do anything you want, and we'll just lower the standards so that you aren't offended.... Jesus didn't run after the rich young ruler saying "Wait! Maybe I was a little harsh back there. You don't have to sell EVERYTHING and give it away. Maybe just a decent amount."

I know I'm an idealogue, but I think everything we do teaches. The question is what lesson is it...?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 2nd 2015, 9:44 am

red squirrel wrote: Having said that, new requirements are out, and boys can get to the Frontier Adventure (what we call the weekend where you test for FCF membership) with earning the Bronze medal. E1 for the ER aged boys. So, they could essentially be there having never camped before.

So this new system has been out for awhile. Anyone have any insight as to whether anymore boys are getting into FCF now compared to the previous, more stringent requirements? Of those who are getting in, how many are doing it without camping/outdoor style merits? And of any who do get in without outdoor style merits, how are they doing within FCF?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 2nd 2015, 4:39 pm

So. Mo District allowed old grizzly requirements last year. I figure as our Company Clerk we will drop by half in membership.

We had no advancements in Trappers Brigade this year. 1st time ever. Doug changed the requirements on his way out.

Our Buckskin and Wilderness are down as well. I just sent in my data for the Presidents Report.

Our outpost pushes the DR's to get their medal so they can fill out the paper work and go into FCF. It's funny. Most have only camped at Pow Wow. Most can't build a fire. Most are just not ready for FCF they are scared to stay away from their momma.
It's not working well at all.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 2nd 2015, 5:07 pm

Frustrating. Don't know if there's anything else to say other than that....

On our end anyway, I'm hoping to get some commanders and rangers eligible this coming year for FCF.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Davis July 30th 2023, 9:58 pm

Gentlemen
If I may add a few words to the discussion. I am an old timer from the 80s and 90s trying to get back into Rangers again and going through the training now, I was in the FCF back then, and looking forward to redoing my first level, due to time out of the camp. If I may quote a wise man who said "I think there's something that happens in boys AND men out in the woods that is both irreplaceable and invaluable. (Phillip Gross 2023) this is a statement that rings true of the 80s and 90s Royal Rangers are for all men and boys are a great way to shape Christian men for the world of today and tomorrow. being outdoors in the woods and setting up camp and in some cases, living off the land a little brings back what Men were made of in the frontier's days. We had a spirit of adventure and respect for Nature and all of God's creation. I feel the FCF is part of but, a step above Rangers (just my opinion). It is open for all men and boys after proper requirements are met, but I think this is where the Few Men and Boys will go to emerge themselves in what made men, men. I would have to believe that if we could capture that Frontiersmen Spirit again our world would be much better and Men would lead from of point of Godliness and lead by example.

Gentlemen thanks for the opportunity to say a few words, God Bless.

Kelly Davis
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 31st 2023, 11:57 am

Kelly Davis wrote: I am an old timer from the 80s and 90s trying to get back into Rangers again...

Yep, you're old school alright. I started as a Commander in 1983 and was FCF beginning about 1995. Due mostly to military moves, I served in a total of 6 outposts. My latest one was killed off by the children's pastor about 8 years ago. Tried to get one started again a couple of times, but no men wanted to jump in with me. Now I'm at the age where I'd only see myself as a Commander "emeritus," serving as an advisor, etc. But I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Does your church already have an outpost, or are you starting one from scratch? Are you in the city, suburban or small town?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Davis July 31st 2023, 12:35 pm

My Church has an Outpost, but it is small and only has the Ranger Kids and Discovery Rangers, The Commanders seem to come and go but a few stick around to help, right now there are two commanders and only one doing any training. The Outpost is my childhood outpost even my Dad was a commander here years ago when I was 7 (stop counting). it was well organized the Senior Commander was very good and led by example, I still talk with him and was just at his house the other day. So I would really like to see this outpost get back to being organized and with a full outpost with all the boy's groups but for now, I will start with what we have and go from there. I am in a medium but growing to town with much potential.

Kelly Davis
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 31st 2023, 1:51 pm

Kelly Davis wrote:My Church has an Outpost, but it is small and only has the Ranger Kids and Discovery Rangers, The Commanders seem to come and go but a few stick around to help, right now there are two commanders and only one doing any training. The Outpost is my childhood outpost even my Dad was a commander here years ago when I was 7 (stop counting). it was well organized the Senior Commander was very good and led by example, I still talk with him and was just at his house the other day. So I would really like to see this outpost get back to being organized and with a full outpost with all the boy's groups but for now, I will start with what we have and go from there. I am in a medium but growing to town with much potential.

Multi-generational RR family. Just awesome. I had hoped that my boys would follow me as Commanders, but their churches don't have Rangers. They are still involved in ministry, though. Sounds like you have the potential to provide your town with something that it needs. If your church has a youth group, you may find yourself in competition, unless the meeting nights don't conflict. If they're on the same night, you'll need to come up with something that draws the teen boys more than girls do.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Davis July 31st 2023, 2:45 pm

Yes we have a conflict youth meets the same night as Ranger but I am going to build up what we have and then see about a different night of the week for the older boys. I will work it in anyway God tells me to work it, this way I know it will be done right.

Kelly Davis
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum