RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 May 4th 2024, 11:39 am

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17118 messages in 1006 subjects

Tool Craft PPT

+5
Christi
arcliner
Phillip Gross
Mark Jones
strods
9 posters

Go down

Tool Craft PPT Empty Tool Craft PPT

Post by strods June 2nd 2013, 10:51 pm

*Previously posted on older site, reposted here in event of its crash*

if you can use ppt, this is a helpful tool for teach tool craft
Tool Craft Merit PPT
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Tool Craft PPT Empty Re: Tool Craft PPT

Post by Mark Jones August 28th 2013, 7:46 am

This toolcraft merit is a throw back from the Ranger of the Year progarm. The names of these parts of these tools often were the deciding point between 1st and last place.

After quickly teaching this merit. It's a good idea to teach the Cut n Chop Card found in the Adventures in Camping. It acutally teaching HOW to use the tools. I usually do this at every Pow Wow.

Ranger boys of today have little idea how to handle tools. It's just not taught enough. It would be good to fix this meirt and add cut n chop to it.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross August 28th 2013, 9:02 am

I agree with you Mark. We added how to use the tools when we do tool craft. I bought the tool craft cards and present them when they've completed the tool craft merit material AND demonstrated that they can use the tools correctly.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by arcliner August 28th 2013, 10:18 am

Agreed with Mark and Phillip. May i add to include how to pass, store and sharpen the tool properly.  

I've personally witness safety violation made by rangers and this is due to they are not taught before or they have simply 'forgotten'. We are to be good steward of the tools that has been issued or placed in responsibility to us.
arcliner
arcliner

Back to top Go down

Post by Christi August 28th 2013, 11:06 pm

all very good reminder points,
Christi
Christi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones August 29th 2013, 11:54 am

That is included in the Adventures in Camping Cut n Chop Requirements. I can do a review with a big group of boys and leaders at Pow Wow in about 45 minutes. Then give out a new cut n chop card. It's a good time as it refreshes there memory as at Pow Wow they will often use these tools.

Mark Jones

Arcliner wrote:Agreed with Mark and Phillip. May i add to include how to pass, store and sharpen the tool properly.  

I've personally witness safety violation made by rangers and this is due to they are not taught before or they have simply 'forgotten'. We are to be good steward of the tools that has been issued or placed in responsibility to us.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by strods August 29th 2013, 10:14 pm

Little disclaimer: this PPt was never intended as the sole resource for teaching the merit. Simply a tool to help this section of it. I just assumed that commanders would teach the hands on part, hands on. If I make tool big a PPT, then the merit becomes another school class and that kills boys

By all means add in whatever you want... please!

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett August 29th 2013, 11:55 pm

Adding a visual of the parts is helpful.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by arcliner August 31st 2013, 5:19 am

strods wrote:Little disclaimer: this PPt was never intended as the sole resource for teaching the merit.  Simply a tool to help this section of it.  I just assumed that commanders would teach the hands on part, hands on.  If I make tool big a PPT, then the merit becomes another school class and that kills boys

By all means add in whatever you want... please!
Thanks for all the effort put into the power point slide =)

RR Outpost #11, Singapore
Regional Staff (Expedition Leadership Camp Coordinator [equivalent to JTC])

Training Seminars/Camps:
LMA, JBEML, Ranger Basics, NTC, ANTC, WCO, National Academy, YLA (equivalent to JLTA).
arcliner
arcliner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones August 31st 2013, 1:58 pm

I think the power points are fine as you all stated as a aid..yet not the whole class. Hands on is the best for these boys.

The point I was making on the toolcraft was in my 20 years never once did I need to know the parts of a knife and a Hawk other than the sharp points and the handles. The names were a filter to filter out the boys during ROTY. I have always felt it was a shame on us as it's not a practical teaching. It would be better to teach things that are indeed revelent.

Just a thing that was put in for "No real good reason other than to filter boys during ROTY" It needs to be revised.

Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett August 31st 2013, 11:04 pm

Its not bad to review the parts but requiring to know them isn't necessary I agree.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 1st 2013, 6:44 am

On one hand I hear you and understand what you're saying about not needing to know all the parts of the tool. HOWEVER, the reason we do and will continue to require it is one of principle. I can hear it now! Laughing Someone may say something to the tune of, "enjoy hanging out with your principles as all the boys leave". Well I must've missed the part where everything that is correct will also always be democratically popular.

In a culture of falling expectations and standards, I see nothing wrong with keeping the bar set higher. The less something costs to get, the less valuable it is. Some may say that it's JUST a Tool Craft merit and not all that important. At our outpost it's one of the most coveted merits. When doing rope craft, lashing, camping, hiking, ANYTHING, it's a whole lot better to have your own knife than to need to have someone else cut something for you. Since we're heavy on survival, we use knives a good bit. We also allow boys to "carry" to all outpost activities and meetings when they've earned the TCM.

My cited reasons may be exactly similar to your outposts and you may still disagree with me about keeping the bar set high. That's OK. But we've decided before we ever started the outpost that we weren't going to go WITH the cultural flow, but against it. We also made a conscious decision that we'd rather have a small number of committed boys than a large number of what-are-you-going-to-do-to-entertain-me boys.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 1st 2013, 2:49 pm

As it relates to tool craft I too think a merit should be hands-on but in everything we do there is always some technical learning. A pilot doesn't just get thrown in the cockpit and learns hands-on only. Lot of predatory work before hand. They need to learn the names of the parts of the plane. To requalify each year I would stress hands-on skills be a must while a "review" of parts is secondary.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by strods September 1st 2013, 11:37 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:
In a culture of falling expectations and standards, I see nothing wrong with keeping the bar set higher. The less something costs to get, the less valuable it is. Some may say that it's JUST a Tool Craft merit and not all that important. At our outpost it's one of the most coveted merits. When doing rope craft, lashing, camping, hiking, ANYTHING, it's a whole lot better to have your own knife than to need to have someone else cut something for you. Since we're heavy on survival, we use knives a good bit. We also allow boys to "carry" to all outpost activities and meetings when they've earned the TCM.
This is where our outpost is, especially heavy on survival.  And I guess you could say we use the knowledge of parts for 2 reasons. 1.) A little bit because it is Nat'l standard and it shows respecting authority. but mostly 2.) it's a safe guard.  If a young man wants to carry, he's got to earn my trust.  One standardized way we have for that is the TCM. It takes time and commitment to learn all that.  

I think back to my time in Basic Training (Air Force).  Coming from a military family I understood a lot of the why's.  But there were MANY recruits there who couldn't understand the reason for folding shirts into six in squares, having beds aligned in PERFECT lines, why the showers could not have a single drop of water after use.  Why did the U.S. Government care about that?

Well mostly it's a test of following directions.  If the military can't trust you to fold your shirts and clean your bunk, how the heck do they trust you with military equipment.  

In the outpost, if I can't trust you to get to know the equipment that you are going to use on any camp we have, how do I expect you to be there for your patrol when ________ happens?  Or when it's time to step up to Knife & Hawk?  Or Pathfinder missions?

It like in the Parable of the Talents, "You have been faithful in the small things.  Now I shall trust you with greater things."

Getting off my soapbox now.
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 1st 2013, 11:43 pm

Very good points, Strods.

I noticed that (for the most part) the boys who would not pay "attention to detail" in a classroom setting were the same ones who would not follow instructions and not have respect for Outpost Equipment in the Field.

And they would also be the ones who would commit Safety Violations (like pulling burning sticks from the campfire).

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 2nd 2013, 1:04 am

I observe the same things here.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 2nd 2013, 7:53 am

While teaching the Cut n Chop and knowing how to use the tools is something I do each year to refresh the boys on safety and to do things properly and have done that nearly 20 years now. Teaching 40 boys a year on average. It's important.

Now on the other hand. If I was to take the named parts of a knife or a Hatchet and ask the boys the names... I would venture to say that about all of them would fail the test.

I could teach those parts to the boys every meeting to what avail? What purpose would it serve? What value is it? The names of the parts of the knife or hawk? Perhaps if they were making these then I could see a reference to these names being needed. Yet I have never needed them in 20 years. Blade and handle was all I needed to know.

Running District Ranger of the Year as a Sectional Commander these names were used to filter boys out of the number one slot. Then and only then was there value in knowing these names.

I cover it by giving the boys the pictues with the names on it and then go on and teach them hands on how to use these tools.

As far as fire goes. They can poke the fire with a stick. Yet when they take the stick out of the fire and go to walking around with it or pointing it at other directions than the fire... they cross the line and are instructed to put it back in the fire. In 30 outings a year for the past 20 years this policy has proven to be a good policy. If they can't do that they can no longer poke the fire.

Fire craft is another one of those things that is hands on. You can tell them all day long how to. Yet it is learned by doing it. There are a lot of Ranger Commanders that can't get a fire going with one match and natural materials.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by strods September 2nd 2013, 8:21 am

You use matches?... kidding. We focus on feral rods etc as o think it helps w/ flint & steel

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 2nd 2013, 9:25 am

Its like many things we learn in school we learn it to pass a test or course and then retain the hands on skills more. At least for the merit its ok but for recertification of cut n chop basic parts or just hands-on skills are needed.

Speaking of fire craft our DR cmdr is starting off Sept with that merit. Even for that merit some of it maybe 10% of it should be prep work before just doing it. Learn the basics. I do agree with the hear, see, do, and teach method. Hear and see portions should be about 10% each and rest be doing and teaching fellow patrolman how to do it.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by arcliner September 3rd 2013, 8:16 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote:.... I do agree with the hear, see, do, and teach method. ... 
This has been tested and proven, but it is dependent on how well the instructor deliver and prepared.

RR Outpost #11, Singapore
Regional Staff (Expedition Leadership Camp Coordinator [equivalent to JTC])

Training Seminars/Camps:
LMA, JBEML, Ranger Basics, NTC, ANTC, WCO, National Academy, YLA (equivalent to JLTA).
arcliner
arcliner

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 3rd 2013, 6:11 pm

Agreed, we can't teach what we don't know or practice.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 4th 2013, 9:50 am

My son of 20 asked if he could try a bow and drill fire starting method. He and one of his friends and I went out in the back yard. I gave them all the right materials and did it along with them.

They both gave up after about 30 minutes. Even with me coaching them. I said hang on. I had a coal with the stuff they were using in about 2 minutes. So they went back and my son got a coal then we added a cedar bark nest and he spoke it into a fire. He repeated the process. The other young man was not disiplined enough to stay with it.

In time.
We will go out into the woods to get natural stuff next time.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 4th 2013, 12:51 pm

Mark Jones wrote:While teaching the Cut n Chop and knowing how to use the tools is something I do each year to refresh the boys on safety and to do things properly and have done that nearly 20 years now.  Teaching 40 boys a year on average.  It's important.

Now on the other hand.  If I was to take the named parts of a knife or a Hatchet and ask the boys the names... I would venture to say that about all of them would fail the test.  

I could teach those parts to the boys every meeting to what avail?  What purpose would it serve?  What value is it?  The names of the parts of the knife or hawk?  Perhaps if they were making these then I could see a reference to these names being needed. Yet I have never needed them in 20 years.  Blade and handle was all I needed to know.  

I agree
I don't bother with teaching anything past Blade & Handle. The rest is just useless trivia

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexL September 8th 2015, 1:53 pm

Awwwwwwwwweesome PPT. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by AlexL on September 8th 2015, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlexL

Back to top Go down