RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» May 2024 Thread
by joecool Today at 9:24 am

» What Your Outpost Did This Week.
by Claymore May 6th 2024, 1:00 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Jameskostich May 2nd 2024, 2:34 pm

» The Next Domino To Fall
by joecool May 2nd 2024, 9:48 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool April 30th 2024, 7:22 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool April 30th 2024, 3:15 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by joecool April 22nd 2024, 11:47 am

» Historical Antiques
by joecool April 20th 2024, 9:51 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool April 19th 2024, 10:37 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17120 messages in 1006 subjects

Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES

2 posters

Go down

Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES Empty Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES

Post by Mark Jones September 25th 2014, 5:41 pm

Well we are heading out tommarrow night for a 2 night backpack from the Top of the Eye of the Needle down to Kyles landing. It's only 3 miles if you was to fly... but you can't get there from here. I figure it to be close to 7 miles with all the extra steps we take going up, over and around. This place is prehistoric. It offers so much to challenge and inspire and hard work and fun to go along with all that.

We have never backpacked this. It's always been day hikes so this group is all Advanced Backpackers and no first timers on this trip.

I am going as light as I can so I can bring in a rappel rope and harness to go through the eye this time. It's not all the high but it will take a rope to do it. Just changing it up a bit for those that want a extra challenge. No one has to do anything. GRIN! Except you carried it in you carry it out.

First backpack of the fall season so were all pumped with 12 going it's a good group.

If it wasn't for my vacation day I wouldn't be able to go.

Ordered a Severe weather jacked from Arc tercx. Venta SV. It's pricy but worth every dollar in protection and durability and dependability. I am outside all year around so the gear must be up to the test. My last jacket still works well it just has some burn holes in it from fires...and the patches 4 of them are starting to make me loop poperish. GRIN!

Going fishing in the morning..hopefully taking a couple of kayaks and hitting the river. I need a break from work.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES Empty Re: Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 26th 2014, 2:28 am

I was thinking of hiking tonight when I was looking at day packs in Walmart. I miss those days.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES Empty Re: Woo Whoo Rangers... Backpacking again! YES

Post by Mark Jones September 26th 2014, 5:08 pm

We are all packed and ready to head out at 5:30 pm.
Had a easy day. Finished the bathroom floor trim. Fixed a FCF Lantern, replaced some glass for one of the boys. Got my hair cut and took 3 young men to McDonalds for lunch.

I have 15 pounds of liquids on my backpack. Water is heavy. Tonight to mid morning no water to filter. We hit the Indian Creek just below the eye of the needle.

We have a army surplus store about a 1/4 mile from my house and stopped in and bought 92 feet of 1/2" rappel rope and a small bag to put it in and a couple of quick connect buckles. We tied it in as a counter balance front pack. Had to bring in some extra webbing for 3 achor points. My harness will fit just about anysize of a person. So we left the fancy harness at home.

It will be fun to thread the eye of the needle.
http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2013EyeofNeedleTopdown/2013eyeofneedle.htm

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 30th 2014, 11:42 am

I think out of my 20 plus years of backpacking this was the most extreme backpack I have ever been on. Report and pictures at this link.

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2014eyeofNeedletopDownbackpack/2014eyeofneedletopdownbackpack.htm

We are going to go backpacking to Hercules Glades in 2 weeks if your interested in going on a EZ backpack (entry level difficulty) and day hike please holler. It's nothing like this past weekends trip but I will welcome the EZ on this one. Still work but EZ in comparison.

Mark Jones

markjonesranger@Hotmail.com
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones October 1st 2014, 10:18 am

With some hind sight on this. This was pretty challenging for me. The backpack was about 30 pounds and the rope was dynamic and there was enough bounce in the rope it was weird. Never rappelled on that Dynamic of a rope. 92 feet of rope was just enough to get me to the bottom of this rappel. I was sweating like a dog when I got down... of course I was sweating like a dog before I started.

In my 22 years of backpacking and such. This was the most extreme trip I had been on. I had 4 other seasoned backpackers tell me the same thing. We under estimated the added weight of the backpacks on this trip. Even after going down 2 times before over the past 4 years. Wow. I am glad I did it.

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2014eyeofNeedletopDownbackpack/2014eye141.jpg
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down