RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

From Sea Level To Mountaintop

5 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

From Sea Level To Mountaintop - Page 13 Empty Re: From Sea Level To Mountaintop

Post by joecool January 15th 2023, 9:50 am

Oct 19

No one on our ship had ever been to Souda Bay, Crete before. Although it was strictly business for a one-day stop, with no liberty, it was a chance to see something new. I pulled out the chart a couple weeks ahead of time and found that it needed several updates. My counterpart in an Operations division supposedly did the same thing. I painstakingly made deletions and additions to the chart before plotting the courses to arrive at the harbor entrance and the pier.

We arrived in the area well before sunrise, using radar and a couple of navigation lights to fix our position. But there were a multitude of blinking lights across the harbor's entrance as well. We couldn't figure out what their meaning was, and the harbor master couldn't give us adequate information over the radio, either. So we waited until sunrise. In the meantime, my chief reviewed the same periodical publication I used to update the chart. And he found that I had missed notification of the temporary deployment of an anti-submarine net. I was crushed, embarrassed and horrified all at the same time.

It took me awhile to mentally recover from it. I doubled my efforts and attention to detail and never let something like that happen again. And my chief and the navigator didn't give me a tongue-lashing or worse. It feels good when higher authority forgives you and gives you another chance. "If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness..." (Psalm 130:3-4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 16th 2023, 10:01 am

Oct 20

Back when the world was a much safer place, my liberty preference was to walk deep into the surrounding neighborhoods, away from tourists and other sailors. After several miles exploring an Italian town, I was getting hungry and saw a small cafe up ahead. I looked at their window display and saw a dish that I just had to have. After entering, the waiter approached me with a big smile. I pointed at the dish and sat down, awaiting my meal.

The dish of octopus tentacles was promptly served. They were only a couple of inches long, but you could see the little suction cups on them. I was pleasantly surprised at how they tasted, and caught the waiter's attention. With some hand gestures, I ordered a second plate, but tried to get across to him that I wanted this one warmed up. He understood, but wagged his finger in a negative way. He searched for the appropriate English word and then remembered it. "Raw." The second plate didn't taste nearly as good as the first.

Sometimes, taste is an acquired sense, helping us to judge whether something is good or bad for us. Depending on your upbringing and culture, the same food item can be both. But there is one thing that all cultures and peoples can agree on if it is tried. "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." (Psalm 34)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 17th 2023, 12:00 pm

Oct 21

I was fortunate to be in Australia when the blockbuster movie Crocodile Dundee came out. There was just something special about being a half hour from the actual outback while watching it. Perhaps my favorite scene was when Dundee took a quick look at his mate's wristwatch and then tried to impress the lady reporter with his ability to tell time from the sun's position in the sky.

As it happens, I have an uncanny knack for being able to estimate the time with reasonable accuracy. Whether nailing the time when waking up or after hours of work at church, I seem to have an inner clock that helps me out. Perhaps it's because of the critical importance of time when making all those celestial observations over the years. In any case, it's ingrained and befuddles others when they look at their cell phones to check my time estimates.

There are days when time seems to slow down, and other days where it all goes too fast. But either way, time spent is time gone. Unlike most every other thing, you can never get it back. Use it wisely. "...for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you." (Hosea 10:12)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 18th 2023, 8:47 am

Oct 22

On something as vast as the high seas, you would think that there's plenty of room for everyone. In fact, the average distance that you can see is around 10 miles, so you might assume that you rarely see another ship. But that's not the case. Most ships sail from major port to major port, so in effect, there are "shipping lanes" that most vessels tend to stay in. That's why you always station lookouts in addition to watching the radar scope in order to get a head's-up on approaching ships.

Tracking the blips on a radar scope, it doesn't take long to get a fairly accurate idea of how close other ships will get to yours. The majority of the time, there's a comfortable distance and you just keep an eye out for any changes. But there's a term you don't want to hear...constant bearing, decreasing range. That means a very close situation is developing, with the potential for a collision. Early action is necessary to reduce the risk.

The Bible is full of examples of the consequences of ignoring warnings, and the effects can be "biblical" in scope. It just seems to be common sense to pay close attention to the words that our Creator has left for us. Things will go a lot better if we do. "By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 19th 2023, 10:43 am

Oct 23

On an extended family campout in Montana, one of my sons joined me on a kayak excursion on Placid Lake. I couldn't maintain the same pace as he did, but he was nice enough not to get too far ahead. After a few miles of this, we decided to enter a wide creek that fed the lake at the southern end. The current was fairly strong and there were countless twists and bends. In a few places where it widened and slowed down, there were big fields of lily pads.

The vegetation along the sides was also slick. Our progress was eventually stopped by a small metal dam and we allowed the current to push us back. That when we noticed them...huge lake trout swimming beneath us. We returned to the same place the next day with fishing gear. Staying in our kayaks, a variety of lures and tactics were tried, but we had no success, not even a bite.

It was frustrating to see them so close, yet so far from the frying pan. Our choices do not guarantee a desired outcome, yet we can always trust in the Lord's promises. "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." (Psalm 55:22)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 20th 2023, 8:58 am

Oct 24

Desert Shield, the build-up of coalition forces in preparation to drive Sadaam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait, was officially over. We had been awakened early on the morning that the ground war began, and Desert Storm was on. Having spent months in the Arabian Gulf, we were anxious and ready to get it over with. We were now on our way to moor at a Saudi Arabian pier a couple of miles away from the Kuwaiti border, and were at our sea and anchor stations. I was on the bridge and could tell that the Navigator was frustrated at the lack of navigational aids as we drew closer to the unseen coastline.

I radioed my Boatswain Mates on the foc'sle and told them to use the leadline. This is a long length of weighted rope with a variety of items and markings that would tell us the depth of the water. Within a few minutes, the leadline was telling us that the water was dangerously shallow I relayed the information to the Navigator, who wisely chose to accept it over what the electronic depth finder was saying. We stopped the ship and threw the leadline in a couple more times. There was less than 6 feet of water under our keel, so we backed out of the area and found a safer way to the pier.

Doubt, especially in trying times, can cause us to use caution before proceeding. But rather than turning away, coming up with a plan to address it can open the way, as Thomas found out. "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." (John 20:25)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 21st 2023, 9:42 am

Oct 25

Back in my boot camp days, everything was a whirlwind of confusion and apprehension during our initial exposure. Long days, spent in constant motion, were filled with physical and emotional pressure. Our company commander gave us opportunities to blow off steam, including singing marching songs. These songs, which we also heard other companies singing, served to bring our group of recruits closer together. But I was looking for an extra boost.

I can still remember the song that I composed, singing and teaching it to my shipmates that first time.

We're the men from 9-4-5
We fight and scrape to stay alive
And when across that bridge we go
The rest will stay and heave and ho
Sound off...1, 2...sound off...3, 4
Bring it on down now... 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2...3, 4!

Yeah, it was a little cheesy. But it struck a chord and we used it until the last day of boot camp. Singing can help us to get through low valleys and make mountaintop experiences even better. "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 5:19-20)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 22nd 2023, 10:01 am

Oct 26

My boys and I had stood atop Mount Whitney a couple of hours previously and we were now at a much lower elevation. We stood on a ridge with the wind to our back and a massive steep snow field before us. We had heard about it a couple of days ago, along with a time-saving shortcut, so we were ready. Each of us had part of a tent pole, along with small sheets of plastic. Without having actually seen it, we were about to try our hand at glissading. I sat down on the plastic and readied the pole to use as a brake. At the bottom of the field we could see dark boulders rising out of the snow. "Watch how I do it, boys," and I took off.

Sliding fast enough to lose my favorite hat, I dug in the tent pole a couple of times to reduce my speed. About halfway down, I slowed to a stop. My intent was to yell encouragement to my boys, and I started, "Okay, guys! Just follow what..." And my boys were already zipping past me to the bottom edge of the snow field. I caught up to them and we had a good laugh. Saved a couple of hours of hiking, too.

Seeing and avoiding the dangerous boulders was easier against a sea of white. Our awareness of spiritual dangers should be just as easy in a life lived for Christ. "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." (Psalm 51:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 23rd 2023, 8:33 am

Oct 27

Although my wife stays on top of her plant-induced allergies now, that wasn't always the case. Back in the day, medicines to help ward off the effects weren't anywhere near as effective as they are now. We were on a spring vacation in New Mexico's high desert, and even with a scarcity of plants, her allergies were raging. I felt helpless watching her suffer. But she was still keen to see the area's attractions.

After paying a fee, we entered Carlsbad Caverns, America's largest cave system. Out of the relentless desert sun, the temperature quickly dropped over 30 degrees. Though we didn't descend all of the cave's nearly 1600 foot drop, we went steadily downhill for a long time. Suddenly, my wife turned to me with a big smile on her face, saying "I can breathe!" The cooler air, lack of pollen and altitude change was just what the doctor ordered.

The comforting air in the cave was an unexpected surprise and much appreciated. It was a natural remedy for my wife's suffering. Or was it provided by someone who cares? "For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones." (Isaiah 49:13)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 24th 2023, 11:09 am

Oct 28

It was my first trip to Italy and after a long walk around the town, my stomach was talking to me. I saw a ristorante on the next block and picked up my pace. It was a small place, with tables inside and on the sidewalk. I went in and a waiter brought me cold water and a menu. It had been a few months since I had stateside pizza, so I quickly made up my mind, ordering a "pizza pie." I breathed in the aromas coming from the kitchen and looked forward to satisfying my stomach.

And when it arrived, I just sat there and stared at it. Yes, it was round, it was baked dough and had a high ridge all around. But the interior was a layer of tomato sauce covered with olive oil. A good half-inch of oil. I poked around the pie with a dissatisfied stomach, paid and left. Later, I found an open street-side pizzeria that sold what I was more familiar with.

I'm okay with a little oil on my food, but that was a bit more than my palate was used to. But if you're raised in the Mediterranean Sea area, oil is prized and used with most dishes. That's what made it so important and valuable to the Old Testament widow. "For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah." (1 Kings 17:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 25th 2023, 11:38 am

Oct 29

My first overseas deployment was wrapping up and I had one last chance to enjoy Europe's culture. We were moored in Rota, Spain and I was looking forward to a full day and evening in town. Outside the gates to the base, I wandered around the shops and neighborhoods, seeing the sights and eating whenever I got hungry. As usual, I rarely saw any shipmates until I got close to the beach. I sat down on a bench and a couple of sailors walked by.

After catching up on our experiences of the day, I casually mentioned that I'd stay around here for the rest of the evening. "Oh, no. You can't do that." And they brought me up to speed on local and national politics, mentioning that the police patrol the beaches after sunset...carrying sub-machineguns.

Away from the city, there was danger in the dark. And the police were extra vigilant to protect the citizens. Not unlike our Lord. "He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." (Psalm 121: 3-4)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 26th 2023, 11:24 am

Oct 30

In the late 1950's, the Navy upgraded a critical piece of shipboard machinery. Henceforth, motor whaleboats would be made of fiberglass, instead of wood. Every ship had at least one MWB, which could be lowered into the water with a davit system. These rough and tough boats were used in a variety of ways, but they had one major weakness: they were really, really slow. Its name came from the 19th century, when rowed boats were used to chase down whales. MWBs weren't much faster than them.

And then a new style of boat was developed. It had a rigid hull, surrounded by an inflated rubber tube. This gave the craft high buoyancy and excellent handling in heavy seas. And it was fast, although slow in getting installed on amphibious ships. We were excited to be finally getting one on my ship, and everything changed. Training, operations and mission assignments all expanded, and everyone in my department wanted to be involved.

We can be forgiven for hanging on to comfortable things too long. But the time comes when we have to set them aside in favor of things that are better. "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." (Isaiah 43:18)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 27th 2023, 11:15 am

Oct 31

It took foresight and planning, but I had prepared a special plaque to take with me on my next deployment. My ship was now anchored off Singapore and I had already confirmed that one church had a boys' outdoors ministry called Royal Rangers. International in scope, I had been a member of it for years. I was now wearing a leader's uniform and riding a bus, and I was surprised that it didn't attract any attention. Getting off the bus at the right stop, I could see my destination a block away.

Arriving, someone led me to the right room and I entered. The boys were just starting the opening ceremony and turned to look. Their vocalized pledge stopped, but I picked up where they left off and we finished together. The rest of the evening was a blur of activity and fun. At the end, I presented them the plaque, which they proudly put on a wall. Their local group and mine back home were now brother outposts.

Even on the other side of the world, I was able to find Christians and join in fellowship. It was a real treat to be with them and the gloom of being away from home went away for a while. God's presence continues to flood the world, in spite of difficulties and even danger. "Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 29th 2023, 10:06 am

Nov 1

When working with boys on a weekly basis, I tried to mix things up to keep it fresh. But it doesn't take long to run out of the usual games they play. One evening, I was trying to come up with something new when it hit me. So I invented a new type of game which I called Sports Bones. To go with a pair of dice, I wrote up accompanying rules for dozens of sports. Players could then make decisions about what kind of strategy to use on each turn and roll the dice to get the desired outcome.

Well, it was a big hit and we used Sports Bones for a very long time. One of the other leaders encouraged me to try and figure out how to sell the game. "No, I don't have the time, and I just want it to be fun, anyway." A few years later, I was walking down the aisle of a big-box store and stopped. With my mouth open, I reached up and brought down a game. Although it had a different name, it was exactly like Sports Bones.

I suppose it was a missed opportunity, although I really don't have any regrets at not pursuing it. But there are other ones that come up on a regular basis, which I try my best to take advantage of. "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:10)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 30th 2023, 10:12 am

Nov 2

Well before retiring from the Navy, the Lord had revealed to me that I was to go into Christian school education. Knowing that, the principal at the school my boys attended asked me to substitute for a couple of days. It just so happened that I was off, so after a little preparation I found myself as a classroom teacher, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The pay was just a bonus on top of the experience. Speaking of pay...

Doing taxes the following year, I dutifully added my teaching income to my federal form and my Washington form, still being a legal resident of that state. But California then stepped in, demanding more than the two days' worth of state tax, which I had already paid. They wanted to tax ALL of my Navy income, too, just because of those two days. It took a lot of paperwork and determined effort, but eventually California left me alone.

Paying taxes has never been anyone's favorite pastime, going back thousands of years. And though we recognize that it is needed, I've never known anyone to want to pay more than is owed. "Give everyone what you owe him; If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." (Romans 13:7)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 31st 2023, 10:45 am

Nov 3

We were steaming in familiar waters between San Diego and San Clemente Island. Just lots of water. It wasn't often when you saw something new. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time. The afternoon continued to drag on, until a look at the horizon north of us revealed an odd shape. I couldn't make it out visually, although it showed up well on the radar scope. Fortunately, we were steaming in its general direction, so I kept taking a look through binoculars. And then I realized what it was.

This odd-looking vessel had flooded its ballast tanks with seawater in order to partially sink itself. Now it was standing on end with most of its length underwater, much like an iceberg. This was FLIP, the one-of-a-kind research ship whose mission was oceanography. Build in 1962, its laboratories are constructed sideways, so that they are level when the ship is flooded. It was pretty cool to see in person that day.

FLIP was uniquely built to provide a stable platform for critical scientific work at sea. It's a guarantee that we will face adversity and critical times in our lives. It's also guaranteed that it will go better when we stand on God's promises. "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (Psalm 40:2)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 1st 2023, 10:06 am

Nov 4

My group of boys and I had just arrived at the campsite, joining 200 other boys and their leaders. But it looked like all the decent spots were taken, and no doubt the creek-side places were the first to go. Unfortunately, the only place left to pitch your tents was on a slope that had no shade whatsoever. I had the boys wait by the cars while I searched for anything that might be marginally better. I was getting desperate, and my frantic eyes caught something. "Boys! Grab your gear and follow me."

We waded through the river of two-foot deep water until we reached the island. It was just big enough for our tents and had shade trees as a bonus. Surprisingly, some leaders of other groups objected to our location and tried to evict us. But the camp officials overruled them and let us stay. For the rest of the weekend, we had room and privacy whenever we wanted it. And like passengers on a cool boat, we waved at the envious landlubbers along the shore.

On the island away from the others, I found the boys very receptive to God's Word and we had great conversations late into the night. "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water..." (Psalm 1:2-3)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 2nd 2023, 9:37 am

Nov 5

My wife and I were driving our side-by-side down a "not for cars" road. Our destination was a small lake which I had visited years before. But the road was so much worse than I remembered, with deep ruts and boulders that slowed our travel to a crawl. After a half hour of hanging on, we decided to turn around. And that's when all the warning lights on the panel came on. We stopped to let the engine cool off and we had lunch.

When we resumed our return trip, there were fewer lights, but they quickly and furiously returned. There was absolutely no chance of getting my truck and trailer in there to recover the vehicle, so I kept going. At long last, we could see my trailer and we wasted no time in driving up the ramp. As soon as I put on the parking brake, I heard a cooling hose pop off and we were enveloped in a cloud of steam.

In order to protect us, warning signs for overheating are built into the vehicles that we drive. People can get overheated, too, although we tend to ignore the physiological warning signs and pop our cork. Which always leads to worse problems. Pay attention to the signs or risk lasting damage. "For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime." (Psalm 30:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 3rd 2023, 10:14 am

Nov 6th

On a weekend morning onboard the ship, the off-going Command Duty Officer had just finished briefing the oncoming duty section. He kept looking at his watch and down the pier, wondering when his own relief was going to show up. "Call me when Lieutenant ______ shows up," and then went to his office to do more work. Around mid-morning, the officer got the call.

I didn't personally see it, but the oncoming officer had an epic meltdown on the quarterdeck. He ranted and raved, kicked things around and then walked back down the accommodation ladder to the pier. The off-going CDO ended up spending a second day on duty and the angry Lieutenant received temporary orders to go somewhere other than our ship. We never saw him again.

We never heard why the Lieutenant lost it, nor should we need to know the details. But it was a shame no one saw any warning signs in time to help him out. The Lord was close by, ready to give comfort. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 4th 2023, 10:32 am

Nov 7th

After placing the harbor pilot on the Navy destroyer, I steered my tugboat away from the side and awaited instructions. We were going to assist the visiting ship in mooring at a downtown pier of San Francisco. The pilot radioed me to put one headline up on the ship's port side. That was a bit unusual for the conditions, so I asked for confirmation. "Make that two lines," was the reply. So I had my crew send two 6" circumference lines up to the ship and secured them.

As we got closer to the pier, the ship's speed, combined with a strong current, made a collision with the pier imminent. "Back full!" the pilot yelled. "Give me everything!" I told my crew to clear the foc'sle and I went full astern with my 2000 horsepower engine. I could see the strain in the lines as the shipboard sailors wisely moved away. One of my lines snapped with a big bang and I had to ease up a little on the engine to save the last line. Fortunately, the pilot gained control of the situation and we safely moored the ship.

It doesn't take much for a situation to get out of hand. We may or may not have the physical strength to see us through, but we can always have the spiritual strength. "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." (2 Samuel 22:33)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 5th 2023, 10:00 am

Nov 8th

Before visiting ports in the Persian Gulf, we always received briefings on the cultural taboos that were present. The limits covered things from photography to handshakes to conversation. And, of course, religion. These being Muslim cities, Christianity was frowned upon and sometimes banned. So, don't say grace before a public meal, talk about Jesus with a local resident, or have a Bible on your person. Out of respect, we followed the guidelines.

So it was a surprise when the ship's chaplain made an announcement after our arrival at the city of Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. He had made transportation arrangements to take interested sailors to a church in town. Dubai provided a healthy level of freedom of worship to its residents and visitors. And so it was that we found ourselves surrounded by people who sang hymns in Arabic.

We understood their words because we recognized the tunes, so we sang along, worshiping the God of all. One glorious day, the entire world will do so. "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light..." (Revelation 21:23-24)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 6th 2023, 11:35 am

Nov 9th

I was the underway Officer of the Deck between 4 and 8 in the morning. On this special day, I missed the earlier than usual reveille and the preliminary antics. Occasionally, I would step out to the bridge wing and watch the long lines of sailors on their knees, following the orders of other sailors. Eventually, though, I was off-watch and had to join them. "Watch Wog!" someone shouted. I joined the line and it wasn't long until I was just as filthy as they. Swimming through garbage, including yesterday's leftovers, I longed to reach our destination.

Our ship was crossing the Equator and following centuries'-old traditions, which required the initiation of those who hadn't been at zero degrees latitude before. Eventually I made it to the front of the line where I faced a couple more tasks given by Neptune himself before being dunked into a tank of water. It was all in fun, though, and it was nice to receive the title of Shellback.

Crossing the Line is something that you can celebrate...sometimes. When we ignore God's warnings and cross a different kind of line, it will lead to undesired consequences. When you get too close to the line, you can lose your balance and cross it. "They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good. " (Titus 1:16)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 7th 2023, 12:12 pm

Nov 10th

it was very early in the morning and I was the Officer of the Deck as my ship was nearing the western coast of Australia. Dawn was breaking and a lookout reported two boats approaching us. They crossed in front of our bow, more than once, and close enough for me to pick up a radio and call them on an international channel. No response, so we continued on. Then they stopped right in front of us.

Were these protest boats, trying to keep us out of port, I thought? In the next second, I stopped our engines and then put them astern, trying not to hit them. The boats were now close enough for me to see the occupants smiling and giving us the thumb's-up sign. One of them pointed further out, and in the growing light, we finally saw some wooden floats marking their fishing nets.

Sometimes, warning signs are pretty obvious, like those on the roadways. Others may be more subtle, like the tickets given to people who disobey them. But for the ones that have eternal consequences, we are wise to pay close attention. In speaking of the Lord's ordinances, David wrote, "By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:11)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 8th 2023, 10:02 am

Nov 11th

In the mountains west of Helena, a solitary hunter was working his way through a jungle of downed trees. A leg was stuck and he lost his balance, falling hard on the ground and breaking his leg. Miraculously, he had cell phone coverage and called his wife, describing his location to her. In the area, a reality TV show was filming forest rangers at work, and they heard the radio broadcast order for a search and rescue operation. They found the victim quickly and stayed with him until medical help arrived.

My younger son read this account, as well as dozens of others, adding it to his "lessons learned" store of knowledge. Every time he came across a news story, he would determine if he needed to add an item to his survival pack. Even after a couple of years, it was light and compact, providing most everything he would need if he faced his own emergency out in the woods.

Making mistakes can be very costly and hard to recover from. But learning from the mistakes of others is a very inexpensive way of improving your odds for survival. And a lot smarter, too. "...let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance." (Proverbs 1:5)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 9th 2023, 10:27 am

Nov 12th

One of my favorite pictures of my father shows him panning for gold on a California stream. Behind him is a small pontoon raft which carried a sluice box, suction hose and water pump. He's in the prime of his life and having the time of his life. I remember being shown a plastic vial containing a few ounces of gold nuggets. Back then, the price of gold was artificially kept low by the government, but what he had was enough to pay a month's rent, if he wanted to.

Gold has always been held in fascination by man. It can be easily shaped, doesn't tarnish, has a growing number of uses, and it's relative scarcity makes it a valuable commodity. Over the years, it has been found, started rushes, backed countries' paper currency, been fought over, and lost at sea. Most of the gold that has been found is where it ended up after eons of movement caused by water and ice. The "mother lode" is the source of the gold, and most lodes have still to be found.

The vast majority of prospectors have gone broke in their search for gold. Few are those who made a fortune, and were able to hold on to it. Better to find something that doesn't slip through your hands, and lasts forever. "Because I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold." (Psalm 119:127)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next