RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018

3 posters

Go down

FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018 Empty FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018

Post by Mark Jones September 19th 2018, 4:19 pm

Heading out Friday morning for Bloomfield, MO 3.5 hours due east of Springfield. Taking the new Ford and trailer on their first maiden journey together. Can't wait to get it all packed up and heading that way. 3 men and 2 boys

Our Traces range from about 50 to 120 depending on location. Bloomfield is about as far away from Springfield as we go so the turn out maybe smaller this year.

I hope the National Office goes back to the Trail of the Grizzly merits for FCF membership. It will increase the membership if they do that. We only had 16 go in at our Frontier Adventure. Another 3 came in at Nat. Rendezvous but 19 is a lot short of 30 to 50 each year. If they don't change it, it will be even less next year.

I just moved from one outpost of 13 years to a new outpost with no FCF members except me and the Sr. Commander. Old outpost has boys that want to go to the Fall Trace but no one to lead them there..... it saddens me when we have such a robust ministry that will meet these boys right in the middle of their character - challenge - needs and no men to stand up and take them. All we offer in church now adays is milk and toast wrapped up in starbucks cup. Come on men stand iup and be men. Yes it will cost you and yes it will take time and yes it will wear you out. YET it's many times over that in rewards. Die to that flesh and easy happy go lucky life. Give of yourself and watch God Bless it.

I can only wish and then pray. It could happen.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018 Empty Re: FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018

Post by joecool September 19th 2018, 6:16 pm

Mark Jones wrote: I hope the National Office goes back to the Trail of the Grizzly merits for FCF membership.

When did THAT happen? Was "Stroll of the Swan" more inclusive?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018 Empty Re: FCF Fall Trace with the Daniel Boone Chapter 2018

Post by Mark Jones September 20th 2018, 7:26 am

3 years ago they did away with the Grizzly Merits. Gold Eagle for the Discovery Rangers. They said just do the Bronze for AR. Both of these require Leadership Merits.

Now they say do Rangers Lite. This doesn't allow for either of those to happen. So our membership will decline.

Personally the Leadership merits are in need of making a 24 hour overnight event count as a Leadership Merit or revamping them and doing some leadership skills with them. Bouncing ping pong balls in a cup for high school age boys and having them run on all fours is a long way from leadership.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 20th 2018, 8:40 am

Mark Jones wrote: Bouncing ping pong balls in a cup for high school age boys and having them run on all fours is a long way from leadership.  

You wouldn't believe how much I changed the leadership merit content on my own. So much was silly or superficial. It was almost like the original developer's task was to fill a certain number of pages and he had a short deadline. Leadership is rarely learned on page 35 or in a one-month period, but takes time and much modeling. In talking to a few boys earlier this week, I dusted off one of my old sayings..."Leadership is getting maximum results with minimum friction." They got it right away, and I saved $8 on a box of ping pong balls.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 20th 2018, 11:21 am

I agree on that on the Leadership Merits. You nailed it. Singing silly songs with Larry is not Leadership to call it that is a total waste of everyone's time.

We taught leadership in our Junior Leadership Training Camps called JLTC. We taught it. They dumbed it down to a classroom setting and now it means sad to say just a waste of time and resources. It needs to be of value for people to appreciate it. Same can be said for our Ranger Basics and Ranger Essentials. It could all be wrapped up in a hour or so. The rest of it is taught as they go.

So how does all this affect our FCF Fall Trace? Raise them up in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it. That statement in is truth in all aspects of life. If we are not doing something right at the foundation level everything after that goes out of square or out of plumb and it gets HOKEY!

We want Plumb and Square and Level stuff in Rangers.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 20th 2018, 4:22 pm

joecool wrote:You wouldn't believe how much I changed the leadership merit content on my own.

I used to do the same. I would cut them down to about 2 1/2 hours time so we could do them in an evening & then have some time to play games & have fun afterward to compensate the kids for having to sit through them.

I would like to see them scrap the leadership merits & start over with something, shorter & more meaningful.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum