RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 14th 2024, 3:44 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» March 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:13 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17066 messages in 1004 subjects

Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position

+2
joecool
Roguedawg
6 posters

Go down

Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position Empty Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position

Post by Roguedawg June 16th 2018, 10:24 pm

Hey everybody I was asked to be the Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator. We got new leadership in the district and he emptied all the leadership positions. This guy is attempting to "Drain the Swamp" in scouting. Remember me posting that people did not want me in a district level position. He asked those people to leave their posts since they were useless. He is filling the district voids with different leadership. He come across the event coordinator position and 4 people said not to consider me. He said he talked with scoutmasters and of the 20 he talked with, my name was brought up every time. He approached me about it and I told him he has to decide who he should listen to and believe what is said. He said that he is sick of people not doing their job. I brought up the verse about the vineyard and the vine dresser that cuts off the branches not bearing fruit so that the fruit bearing branches can produce more and better fruit.

So cool beans. We met Thursday night for diner and I had all these notes to go over. So what do you guys thing of a "Forged In Fire" camp out theme? I may add Welding and Metal working Merit badges to reduce bottle necks at the forge. We have some major Gas Drilling in PA so there is a need for welders. So why not hit the companies up for demonstrations. I had Commander Chris from Outpost 375 that is interested in helping out. He is a Millwrite. So I think he knows something about welding...just a little. I would like to have some blacksmiths from the North East Section or Penn-Del District get involved and set up a FCF village. There are several tin knockers and the local union I may contact for the metal working merit badge.

I know that the scouts watch the Forged in Fire TV series because they are making knives and think this program is cool. I just heard that one of out scout executives's son has been send instructions for making submissions for being a FIF contestant. He may actually be aired in September or October show.

Any ideas for quick forging items the scout can make? I figured tent stakes, "S" hooks, Steel strikers for flint and steel from old files. Perhaps have the scoutmasters make knives from railroad spikes.

Wasn't there a guy in Ranger Forums that was a blacksmith in FCF. Does anybody remember him and have his contact information? Metal Bender I think was his screen name.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I did bring up the issue with charging $20-30 per person for the registration fee and that this price gouging will have to stop. It is not right for the council to be making money off from the youth and the volunteers. They wonder why they only got 30 youth out for last years winter camp out when the previous year I had about 100 scouts out and about 30 leaders for my camp out. The spring camp out was canceled as well. They scratch their heads and can't figure out why people are not attending. Duh, you priced yourself out of business.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position Empty Re: Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position

Post by joecool June 17th 2018, 10:26 am

Congrats on your new position. It helps to have your fellow scoutmasters give you a vote of confidence.

Sorry that your national HQ is likely making your job harder and harder. Getting away from that PC leadership that is casting a wide net to stem the money loss, what's the grassroots' opinion? Don't know if you've had to confront it locally yet, but it's only a matter of time before girls, women, gender-confused boys, and homosexual youths and men start signing up.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position Empty Re: Andaste District Boy Scout Event Coordinator Position

Post by Claymore June 17th 2018, 5:19 pm

Best to you in the new Venture.

I think that it is well-needed for someone who is willing to speak the truth, even if it makes someone say "Ouch", once in a while.

I wish that I could give you some advice on the forging/welding thing. I had one Technical College class in Welding, 40 years ago.

6 weeks ago, I tried to weld some D-rings on the back of 1/2" Armored Plate. They lasted about 12 hits, then fell off. I was using a 120 volt Harbor Freight Wire Welder. It would bond to the straps for the D-rings, but wouldn't bite into the armored plate.

Better than J.B. Weld (kinda-sorta).

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 June 21st 2018, 4:05 pm

Roguedawg wrote:Wasn't there a guy in Ranger Forums that was a blacksmith in FCF.  Does anybody remember him and have his contact information?  Metal Bender I think was his screen name.

I THINK that was Dan Syrcle I will see if I can find some contact info for him

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg June 23rd 2018, 11:19 am

We have not had too much issues with gays in scouting. I remember one guy in the 80's that we thought was gay. People did not like the guy to begin with. He had a filthy mouth and has shunned because of this. Other areas in his life were about the same.

There is going to be a couple of cub scout packs forming that are for girls only. I met the gal that was leading the group but I was not able to talk with her. Basically at that age group, it is the same as Ranger Kids. Most of the work with the scouts is based on family activities. To be honest with you. Having family based cub scouts has been co-ed for decades. Even my sister went on cub scout events with the pack. My daughter has attended scout events since our annual troop lead camp out was during the yearly Women's Ministry for the Penn-Del/Potomic District Women of Faith conferences. So since my daughter was left in my care, she attended the camp out. She was treated like the boys and participated in all the activities. Many times she out performed the scouts.
She did a log cabin fire lay and has it lit with flint and steel on char cloth with in minutes, where the scouts were still at it for 45 minutes with matches. The scouts came to her fire and she told them to beat it and make their own fire. The scoutmaster got a kick out of it and agreed. She was 9 at the time and most of the boys were 11 and over.
Oh the cost of the camp outs are set by the district and since I am the chair, I set the prices. I told the chair for the winter camp out to keep it under $10 or I will run the event. I asked him to submit a budget to see where all the money is being spent. By the outline, I do not see a reasonable expenditures. I think the council wants to make camp outs a fund raiser on the back of the boys and adult volunteers.
I brought up that other than the district scout executive (That do most of the work) the other higher scout executives are over paid and not worth what we are paying them. Royal Rangers and Trail Life USA only have a hand full of paid staff and everybody else are volunteers. At least with Rangers, the professional staff are for the most part are trained as pastors with at least a 4 year degree in divinity or pastoral related.
The BSA is a financial monster that demands to be fed. The BSA has all these camps, paid staff, national camps, and a huge debt for Camp Betchel. They are attempting to shut down the local scout camps to reduce the competition to national camps. In order for a youth to attend a national jamboree, it costs about $1500-$2000. For a leader it is about $750 for the privilege for working at a Jamboree for a week. I would not ask a youth to come up with this expense and would rather attend a local international camp out for $15 for a week-end. We have attended the CTC in Ovid, NY and the Brotherhood Camp Out which is held outside of Watertown, NY and just across the boarder in Canada.
Scouting and camping should be accessible for all youth and not a "Rich Man's Club".

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg June 23rd 2018, 11:26 am

ccm2361 wrote:
Roguedawg wrote:Wasn't there a guy in Ranger Forums that was a blacksmith in FCF.  Does anybody remember him and have his contact information?  Metal Bender I think was his screen name.

Yes, This is him! I never had his personal email or other contact information. If you can forward my personal information or direct him to the forum, I would appreciate it.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg June 23rd 2018, 11:28 am

Claymore wrote:Best to you in the new Venture.

I think that it is well-needed for someone who is willing to speak the truth, even if it makes someone say "Ouch", once in a while.

I wish that I could give you some advice on the forging/welding thing.  I had one Technical College class in Welding, 40 years ago.  

6 weeks ago, I tried to weld some D-rings on the back of 1/2" Armored Plate.  They lasted about 12 hits, then fell off.  I was using a 120 volt Harbor Freight Wire Welder.  It would bond to the straps for the D-rings, but wouldn't bite into the armored plate.

I was not aware of J.ohnny B.arnes weld. Is it a saleable item on the GPH website?

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 25th 2018, 4:57 pm

Roguedawg wrote:
Claymore wrote:Best to you in the new Venture.

I wish that I could give you some advice on the forging/welding thing.  I had one Technical College class in Welding, 40 years ago.  

6 weeks ago, I tried to weld some D-rings on the back of 1/2" Armored Plate.  They lasted about 12 hits, then fell off.  I was using a 120 volt Harbor Freight Wire Welder.  It would bond to the straps for the D-rings, but wouldn't bite into the armored plate.

I was not aware of J.ohnny B.arnes weld.  Is it a saleable item on the GPH website?

Very Happy

Well yeah, but people kept messing with the Formula and watering it down to the point that it is not as good as it used to be.................

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 June 29th 2018, 1:19 pm

Roguedawg wrote:
ccm2361 wrote:

Yes, This is him!  I never had his personal email or other contact information.  If you can forward my personal information or direct him to the forum, I would appreciate it.

I sent you a private message with what info I could locate

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones June 29th 2018, 4:23 pm

How is the new position working out. When I went in on District Staff I had some of my blinders lifted and I lifted some blinders on the staff side. It's hard to get folks to change. Even when they are flying the plane into the ground they will almost never pull back on the lever and bring the plane into a level position so they can figure out what in the world got them into that certain crash position.

I have seen some of the reasons for fee's and expenses yet when I get those covered I asked why... on the rest of it. So much of what we do on our District Staff is cut right to the barebone. I mean I don't know how we do what we do. A pow wow for 30.00 for 4 days and 3 nights feeding 3 meals. Most of our events are barely paying for themselves from the fees we charge.

I learned a long time back. When the new guys comes onto the field. Let him dream. Help where you can. Advice is rarely asked for until they start falling all around the field GRIN! (same way with me)

Yet having said that. We did a Survival Action Camp had 47 attend. Fee was 20.00. Actual cost for me was about 15.00 per person. Yet that didn't pay a dime towards the Building Insurance of 18,000 per year. It didn't pay a dime towards the mowing expense and the caretakers expenses. Not a dime towards the water and heat we used. Or the fuel for food runs back and forth from the refrigerator. Lots of little things as well.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg June 29th 2018, 11:10 pm

Not much done so far and the next meeting is July 16th.  

But I would like to say that President Trump visited the Penn-Del Youth camp today.  While he inspected the youth he told them not to turn into Bad Hombres and that the camp needed a wall built.  He said that someone was told to build a wall around Jerusalem many years ago and it was completed at the expense of another nation.  Other than that it was a peacefull hot day.  I am not used to getting up at 4 am to pick up the youth.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 6th 2018, 3:59 am

By time I got out of Royal Rangers my section staff hadn’t met in two years face to face. Lots of big promises came up empty.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg July 6th 2018, 11:13 pm

The progress on the event continues.  I really have fun planning these events.  It is work and sometimes frustrating, but I really like putting these things together.  So here is the update.  You will never guess who I had a meeting with yesterday?  I just stopped typing for 5 minutes to give you time to guess.

I met with J. Nielson.  Who is J. Nielson do you ask?   He is one of the judges on the "Forged In Fire"  TV program.  No kidding!  They guy lives 25 minutes away from my house and I never knew it.  I emailed him and asked if we could meet.  He suggested his forge and gave me directions to his house.  I went and he gave me some ideas and suggestions.  They guy is very down to earth and is a no nonsense type of guy.  Unfortunately he will not be able to attend the event and will be filming new episodes for the next season.  But he may be able to attend our season kickoff leaders round table in the fall and help promote the camp out.  He gave me contact information of several knife makers and blacksmiths that may be able to help out with the event.

Made a second stop at Global Tungsten and Powders (GTP) since they have Millwrights and metal is their business.  So I am hoping to have a powwow with them soon.  One of my Ranger Kids Commanders works there as well as a couple of scoutmasters, so I am sure I will get some support.  Made a third stop at BOCES  since they teach vo-tech metal working courses.  They were glad to assist, but the instructors were off for the 4th of July holiday.

A.S.K. - Ask Seek and Knock.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down