RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool April 17th 2024, 10:40 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 April 17th 2024, 7:33 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17098 messages in 1005 subjects

March 2018 Thread

+2
Phillip Gross
Claymore
6 posters

Go down

March 2018 Thread Empty March 2018 Thread

Post by Claymore March 1st 2018, 2:45 am

Badda-Bing.

Into the third month of 2018.

"March", named after the ancient Roman Patron Saint of the Military.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

March 2018 Thread Empty Re: March 2018 Thread

Post by Phillip Gross March 2nd 2018, 12:10 am

It truly is like everyone said. Time just keeps going faster and faster.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 March 3rd 2018, 6:40 pm

Spring is coming! cheers

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 4th 2018, 12:08 am

ccm2361 wrote:Spring is coming! cheers

Not around here. Haven't seen the grass since Nov 16th. And we aren't likely to see it on March 21st, either.
Snowing
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 4th 2018, 10:04 am

The grass is greening up here.

I had to leaf-blow last week, to keep from getting dead spots in my lawn. I could have mown, but it is still too soft.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 4th 2018, 1:20 pm

Thorsday it rained all day and blizzard that evening.

Last couple days were good surge days for Uber Cleveland. Downtown cops or sheriff’s dept really pushing us out hard to make pickups. People gonna walk if they want a ride out of club districts. Not getting $100 citations for you. Month ago threw a Lyft pax out for his bad attitude. I guess he thought I should double park by cruisers to get him at his original location.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 5th 2018, 11:31 am

Thinking heavily about taking my two older boys backpacking on the Appalachian Trail for Spring Break. I toyed around with opening it up to everyone, but several reasons have made me think I should just keep it me and my boys.

We plan on being out on the trail for most of the week, so there aren't any other leaders that can take a week off of work (in addition to what they've already planned for family vacations and such). I know my boys' gear and their abilities and don't feel comfortable taking anyone else along (especially without additonal commanders along).

But I think the biggest reason is that I need "dad time" in the mountains with my two teenagers. I see them more often nowadays vs when I was working out of town doing construction, but I work all the time now vs when I would come home before, I was off and hanging with the family. I need some quality time with the boys.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 5th 2018, 10:52 pm

Phillip Gross wrote: I need some quality time with the boys.

My top 3 campouts ever:
1. Just me and my 2 boys for 4 days on a mountain.
2. Two men and our 3 boys on a backpacking trip over a mountain.
3. Two men and our 3 boys on a survival weekend.

When you don't have to constantly watch other people's boys, you can slow down and take advantage of it.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 6th 2018, 4:20 am

Now is the time seize it won’t come again.

All that you said Philip reminds me of the lyrics to “Cats in the Cradle” song. Maybe secular song but so true.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 6th 2018, 5:24 am

It is somewhat surreal watching a boy a LOT like yourself plunge into his mid-teens. Nothing rebellious yet in the typical sense, but definitely some, at times slightly awkward, grappling with the onset of manhood: The desire to be with friends (with the ever present debate between parent and child who is acceptable or not) vs the desire to work (school work, chores, job, etc). The struggle between childish reactions and manly responses to situations. Time management. Etc, etc, etc.

Then there's my internal struggle with how much to pull on the reins vs when to let him find the way. Basically trying to decide which ditches are less likely to cause permanent damage and allow a trip up every now and then by his own doing. Hoping, obviously, that he doesn't trip at all, but knowing that there will be slips and falls along the way. Not wanting to hold the reins too tightly all the time so the young stallion doesn't feel the need to buck and run off.

Oh how funny it is that we thought the sleepless nights with a crying baby, or the terrible 2's were tough. Laughing I suppose those days were tough in their own right, but more akin to arm wrestling whereas these days are like a serious game of chess...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 7th 2018, 6:23 pm

I hate social media. Another rough day at school today, spending 4 hours dealing with a multi-student spat that grew into one parent threatening another overnight. At one point, the thought crossed my mind to call it quits at the end of the year. Just take my family deeper into the woods, away from the world's problems. But the Lord pushed that thought out pretty quick.

I think about the days when everybody was busy enough just taking care of their own business, contributing towards the food on the family table and clothes on their backs. Yesteryear wasn't perfect, but it was a heck of a lot better than these days.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 10th 2018, 3:43 am

joecool wrote:I hate social media. Another rough day at school today, spending 4 hours dealing with a multi-student spat that grew into one parent threatening another overnight. At one point, the thought crossed my mind to call it quits at the end of the year. Just take my family deeper into the woods, away from the world's problems. But the Lord pushed that thought out pretty quick.

I think about the days when everybody was busy enough just taking care of their own business, contributing towards the food on the family table and clothes on their backs. Yesteryear wasn't perfect, but it was a heck of a lot better than these days.  

You know RangerChat is a form of social media...?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 10th 2018, 10:02 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote: You know RangerChat is a form of social media...?

I would not deign to liken/lower RangerChat to a form of modern-day social media. It's more professional, and certainly more Christ-like. (Well, usually anyway. Embarassed)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 11th 2018, 12:42 pm

Semantics. While an online forum by strict definition is in fact social media, I don't group them in the same category as fb, twitter, snapchat, etc.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 13th 2018, 8:42 am

I don’t think the medium is evil. Its a tool like most others. Many forums exist besides ours that Really are same as you describe “social media” to be. My days on ranger forums prove we can go either way. We’re not immune and we’re undeniably a social gathering albeit a smaller scale.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones March 16th 2018, 7:31 am

Wow those Rangernet and Ranger Forum days were wild. I can honestly say we did our best to warn them of what would happen if they continued..... GRIN! A sad grin. It reminds me that men will fail us. It reminds me to keep my eyes on Christ and to follow men when they follow Christ. It also reminded me to choose our leadership wisely.

So many years ago almost 13 years. When I heard right out of the get go we want to beat every other ministry and be the best ministry out there I shuddered. Those words still make me shudder. How can Born again folk even hold thoughts like these in their mind and heart. 'PRIDE I beat you!", is not what I glean from God's Word. Man, none perfect. Working up here in Springfield I get some first hand insight in to the lives of these folk that run these ministries. Folks they have as many holes in them as I do. GRIN! Saying that...follow me as I follow Christ. When I get out on a rabbit trail that leads us away from the Cross of Christ then quit following me and go back to that place where God met man and paid the price for it. In that the Power and MIGHT of a Holy God then has the bought and paid for price and legal note stating HE can come to our Aid as the Holy Spirit starts working in our lives... not what we do. Not by 21 days of great things we should be doing but by MY SPIRIT says the LORD.
Coming back to what works in Rangers is a neat thing and a refreshing thing. The fleeting pride thing made me sick in the spirit.

Mark Jones

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I don’t think the medium is evil. Its a tool like most others. Many forums exist besides ours that Really are same as you describe “social media” to be. My days on ranger forums prove we can go either way. We’re not immune and we’re undeniably a social gathering albeit a smaller scale.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 16th 2018, 5:05 pm

In related news, I've been weaning myself off conservative news sites. One major one down, two to go. Got better things to do with my time. In the old days, we had a half hour with the major networks, along with the local newspaper. That was more than enough.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 18th 2018, 4:42 pm

Mark Jones wrote:Wow those Rangernet and Ranger Forum days were wild.  I can honestly say we did our best to warn them of what would happen if they continued..... GRIN!  A sad grin.  It reminds me that men will fail us. It reminds me to keep my eyes on Christ and to follow men when they follow Christ.   It also reminded me to choose our leadership wisely.  

So many years ago almost 13 years.  When I heard right out of the get go we want to beat every other ministry and be the best ministry out there I shuddered.  Those words still make me shudder.  How can Born again folk even hold thoughts like these in their mind and heart.  'PRIDE I beat you!", is not what I glean from God's Word.  Man, none perfect.  Working up here in Springfield I get some first hand insight in to the lives of these folk that run these ministries.  Folks they have as many holes in them as I do.  GRIN!  Saying that...follow me as I follow Christ.  When I get out on a rabbit trail that leads us away from the Cross of Christ then quit following me and go back to that place where God met man and paid the price for it.  In that the Power and MIGHT of a Holy God then has the bought and paid for price and legal note stating HE can come to our Aid as the Holy Spirit starts working in our lives... not what we do.  Not by 21 days of great things we should be doing but by MY SPIRIT says the LORD.  
Coming back to what works in Rangers is a neat thing and a refreshing thing.  The fleeting pride thing made me sick in the spirit.  

Mark Jones

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I don’t think the medium is evil. Its a tool like most others. Many forums exist besides ours that Really are same as you describe “social media” to be. My days on ranger forums prove we can go either way. We’re not immune and we’re undeniably a social gathering albeit a smaller scale.

We forgot, “with God’s help I will do ‘My Best’...” not, “with Warren’s help I will be better than the rest..”.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones March 21st 2018, 1:53 pm

What is sad is did we learn from it?  YES we did for a season.  Ranger Lite!  All the goof and spoof just keeps going on in our lives.  About time I think we have it going right a "new" idea comes in and breaks it again.  

Going back and revisiting our Certified Instructor teaching.  We know. It's common knowledge.  Folks forget 90% of what they are taught in 2 months unless it is taught again or practiced.

So knowing that 2 months or less really about 1 month...we need to be repeat teaching or put into practice what we are teaching.  If not what real benefit is it? Are we entertaining them?

I would prefer we go back to the Johnnie Barnes methods of teaching, doing and reteaching and doing until were like in the old days know what we know and glad to demonstrate it.

It worked it met the challenge and it was fun. All the while pointing our folk to Jesus and His Church.

You would think I would forget about 90% of that stuff that worked and it's been over 2 months too...GRIN!

Mark Jones

Last edited by Mark Jones on March 21st 2018, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 21st 2018, 4:18 pm

Mark Jones wrote: About time I think we have it going right a "new" idea comes in and breaks it again.

Whether it's ministry, education or the military, the problem is the same. There's somebody back at headquarters whose livelihood depends on him coming up with new ways (programs) to do the same old thing. And everybody out there in the field suffers from being forced to do what he comes up with. A pox on headquarters!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 22nd 2018, 12:54 am

joecool wrote:
Mark Jones wrote: About time I think we have it going right a "new" idea comes in and breaks it again.

Whether it's ministry, education or the military, the problem is the same. There's somebody back at headquarters whose livelihood depends on him coming up with new ways (programs) to do the same old thing. And everybody out there in the field suffers from being forced to do what he comes up with. A pox on headquarters!

AIR-BORNE!

That's Paratrooper Talk for "Right-On"

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 31st 2018, 12:38 am

Well, Spring stuck its head out for a little bit and then went back into the burrow. Our temperature dropped 40 degrees this evening and it started to snow.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones March 31st 2018, 4:49 pm

I pulled out my garden hose and hooked it up and washed the truck last night with the power washer. Now I am wondering if I need to unhook it from the water hydrant. GRIN! Love springtime. Survival camp in 3 weeks... ooooh it better warm up.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool April 1st 2018, 11:13 am

He is risen...
joecool
joecool