Statistics
We have 74 registered users
The newest registered user is rockranger1948

Our users have posted a total of 14053 messages in 759 subjects

National Royal Ranger Council Thursday - Saturday

Go down

National Royal Ranger Council Thursday - Saturday

Post by Mark Jones on February 7th 2018, 7:20 am

I am truly blessed. Our National RR Council is here in Springfield, MO only 25 minutes from my house.
YES I get to attend this and vote and have fun and fellowship and hear where were going in the future.

I really like Karl Fliegh. (sounds like Flike) "Living the Adventure" is key to a successful program. When we leave the walls of the church and engage our FOLK in RR activities the Ministry really takes off and is what I feel is the best program that Johnnie Barnes had in mind.

It came to me after many years. It's not so much what we do on a Wed or Sunday night in 1.5 hours. It's when we go beyond that is when they really grow. Most of what we teach in the classroom is forgot in a week or two. Yet take them and "Live the Adventure" and they are life long friends that you can speak into their life about Jesus and His Church.

If it's just a 1.5 hour thing your struggling with. Folks that is a puddle of frustration. YET take that a step outside the church and it becomes something you can't amagine being so cool and it's called..."Living the Adventure"

Please be in prayer for the council. I have seen so much decline in the past 14 years. I would love to see the ministry grow back to what it once was. With every "NEW" idea there is a 100 failures that go along with that "New" Idea. Old ideas that work are the tried and truth of it. The failures have already been worked out of it. "Now mind you!" it may get old to you as you will repeat it over and over and over. Yet it's a NEW thing to the boys coming up into the program. We have such precious little time with them. Let's not spend it failing 100 times trying to come up with something new to us! I call that being foolish.

So take what has worked and get to it. The stuff that is new look at it and remember...most of the time there is a lot of failure with it. Leave that to those that need that. Grow your Rangers on Tried and Truth.

Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: National Royal Ranger Council Thursday - Saturday

Post by RRCmdrBennett on February 7th 2018, 7:05 pm

I like that idea of getting back to th old ways. Removing gma from the AR’s top medal is a good start. Less focus on cranking out medalists in 3 years timeframe.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on February 13th 2018, 4:46 pm

Report and pictures and some changes at this link.

http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2018LEAD/2018Lead.htm
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 on February 17th 2018, 11:48 am

thanks for the update Mark!
Especially appreciate you putting together that video explaining the changes.

These seem like some good changes that allow smaller churches to the ability to use the "core" of RR, without the staffing problems or expense of the full program.

That mirrors what I see here in our section. Out of 36 churches only 3 still have a Ranger program. most have dropped RR in favor  programs that can be run by 1-2 people.

In our church, we tried to run the full program for 9 years. Only in the first year did we have enough leaders to be fully staffed. (the first 2 years we ran RK/DR only! because there were no older kids in the church)
The final 2 years it was just me, trying to run it all.  

If we start RR again someday, might consider using  a "lite" method.

Our Pastor has said he would like to see RR come back, but right now  there are just not enough kids. (we only have 2 kids in the church-my 2 kids)

ccm2361
Admin
Admin

http://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on February 17th 2018, 6:20 pm

I agree they are making some good moves. The old Johnnie Barnes methods that I loved were Lite versions of our current program. I love that old program. It allowed for all the best parts of Rangers.

It's good to see it coming back for sure.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on March 2nd 2018, 12:34 am

I'd say we're somewhere around tier 3. It's nice to see that national is recognizing those type outposts again and encouraging them instead of making you seem 'less than'. We've never gotten into the full advancement trail. I've tried at times, but it always reverts back to teaching skills and doing activities. We've just never been able to pound out merits in the time they prescribe.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on March 2nd 2018, 7:27 am

I agree Phillip. The best program is the Old Johnnie Barnes method and that is simply what works and you guys are doing that.

I enjoyed that program each week. It was fun and we taught cool stuff and the stuff that was not fun we didn't do it. GRIN! Filled the house we did.

Even our outpost is now struggling at doing 4. Change of Sr. Commanders and things change. It takes a lot of resources and all the right people lined up pull off a tier 4 outpost. YET the important part in this is we Disciple the boys and mentor them in cool stuff other wise known as Reach, Teach and Keep FOLK for Christ.

It's a great resource to draw from all kinds of skills we can learn from the merits and know they are bring back the earlier Bible Studies that had some teaching in them that were really good as well.

I will say they gave it a good try almost 16 years of change to only realize they had it right for 20 years before that. I can't believe it's been 16 years of change and were still trying to float this boat. That is a good thing. Don't quit.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on March 2nd 2018, 6:33 pm

I know it would never completely go back, but I also miss the old group names as well. Trailblazers just sounds so much more gritty than Expedition Rangers...

Also miss the Indian head, tomahawk, sheathed knife, powder horn, etc. pins. Those things were great. I remember earning them back in Straight Arrows, and looking forward to being with the "big boys" in Pioneers and Trailblazers.

Miss the all khaki uniforms too. Felt like a military man putting that thing on! Good times back then...
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on March 3rd 2018, 4:36 pm

After a 3-year hiatus, we had a men's breakfast this morning...and more showed up than when our church was 2-3 times bigger. After the bacon was gone, pastor shared a manly devotion and then asked where we should go and what we should do from here.

I asked all the guys if they thought boys had an easier or harder time becoming men than when we were boys. They were unanimous in saying "Harder." I then suggested that we were responsible for mentoring them into becoming men. Others piped in, saying we could establish relationships through camping, fishing and other outdoor activities. While that was going around the room, one of my former RR commanders caught my eye.

Throw out the last 14 years of crazy, corporate, cobble-headed, clutzy changes. Stick to what's tried and true.
fire

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on March 4th 2018, 10:02 am

.....and make them think that it was THEIR idea.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on March 4th 2018, 1:27 pm

Wow So you guys are thinking of Royal Rangers thats a great idea... hmm yes thats right... lol

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on March 4th 2018, 1:31 pm

Philip,

Air sea or trail rangers was Expedition equivalents.  I agree. I’m not against the generic names either but old names were tied to an old western theme.

Merits screw the time frame. I did like how that changed from Marriott to Marsh but still too much focus. In this new tier system can individual boys pursue medals or advancement if they want to?  Especially if you had a transfer close to getting something he wanted?

Last edited by RRCmdrBennett on March 6th 2018, 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on March 5th 2018, 10:56 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote: Wow So you guys are thinking of Royal Rangers

Lead Pastor asked me tonight to start organizing a campout. Not sure if it will bring back RR. But our children's pastor has experience with it, having been guest speaker at a couple of Pow Wows.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum