Statistics
We have 74 registered users
The newest registered user is rockranger1948

Our users have posted a total of 14053 messages in 759 subjects

Haversack Madness!

Go down

Haversack Madness!

Post by Mark Jones on February 7th 2018, 7:04 am

Spent the past 2 weeks sewing up Cotton Canvas Bags, Oil Cloth ground cloth and Haversacks 2. Some hand sewing. Others using a sewing machine. I put some white glue on with my totem mark it's drying and am starting the process of dying them. Stuff on the kitchen table... my wife is patient!

Here is a video of my Haversack Madness.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zCoJZVpQw1tLz9xMvxyJ5hxcFTxtNLI-/view

We are doing a fall FCF trek in October and I am wanting to go Buckskin. So this will add some stuff to my kit.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Haversack Madness!

Post by Claymore on February 7th 2018, 12:54 pm

Again, great job.

After going through Parachute Rigger School, I started making much of my own equipment. Handiest were the stuff-sacks. I found that they were great for putting cans of C-Rations in (so that they didn't migrate down to the bottom of your back pack) and for keeping socks & underwear dry & accessible.

My biggest project was making a Whelen Lean-To Tent (that my Team used for a Field Aid Station).

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on February 7th 2018, 7:11 pm

I see someone signed up for google drive.

Any pics Claymore?

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg on February 7th 2018, 8:24 pm

Mark,

It sounds like you got things in the bag.

There is this mom and pop military surplus business not far from me.  I stopped by and the wife was cutting off  buttons from the trousers.  I asked why she was doing this.  She showed me the knee sections had holes in them.  I took a pair and cut off the BDU pocket area, turned inside out and stapled it shut.  I then inverted and told her to sew in a pull cord area.  She still had a puzzled expression on her face.  I went over and grabbed a mess kit and F-K-S set and put the mess kit in the main section and the F-K-S's in the pocket.  I told her the lower leg section can just be sew near the knee cap section, cut a slit in the cuff and insert a cord.  SO she was able to get 4 bags out of the worn out pants. I dropped in a few weeks later and she had about 20 of the bags on display.  She improved the idea by making straps from old shirts and used the cuff as a bag closure.  She gave me two bags for giving her the idea.  She mentioned that they made more money from the bags than the BDU's.  She asked me if there was a use for the left over cotton material.  I told her how to make char cloth for fire building.  She got smart with me and asked if they could sell the lint from the pockets as well.  I told her she could sell it as fire starter as well.  I then ignited some lint in front of her. She slapped her head and said they could have been making money making these bags instead of burning the old pants or using them as rags.

I guess they call it Reduce, Reuse, Recycle these days.  I call it getting as much money out of something.

I hear they were going out of business soon.  I stopped in and bought a nice wooden stock for my Mauser.  

https://www.facebook.com/Taylors-Military-Surplus-264063360811/

Oh, the North East Section bought mess kits and stuff like this from Hiram and gave them out on powwows.
How do you water proof the canvas?

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on February 7th 2018, 10:05 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I see someone signed up for google drive.

Any pics Claymore?

Actually, last week, I was sent a photograph of a mission where we called in a company of helicopters, and the Whelen Tent that I made was in the photograph, set up as a Field HQ.

However, my Photobucket account is no longer valid.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on February 8th 2018, 4:12 am

Making up 2 mixtures that fit a 1700's time frame. THIS IS TO BE DONE OUTSIDE!
Have enough rope on hand to string up a clothes line. Also recommend using a cheap blue tarp to do this over and around as it will kill grass and anything it comes in contact with will stick to the tarp... clean environment.

Tarp and ditty bags 2 parts 50/50 Boiled Linseed oil and Mineral spirts. Put in a bucket and stir. Then put your tarp or material in to that and keep moving it around until it's totally saturated. MUST let this hang out and dry for a week or it may catch on fire.

Haversack Melt 1lb of bees wax from Hobby Lobby. Cost is 15.00 then take off the flame source and stir in 8oz of Boiled Linseed oil and 8 oz of turpentine or mineral spirits. Let that cool and then using a rag or brush rub this paste onto the haversack. Then use a heat gun and melt it into the cotton. Lots of videos out there for Oil Cloth and this process.

Main thing is don't fold up the material after you have coated it and letting it dry out or it will spontaneous combust. Let it hang outside. This lady does a great job of showing how to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx7bffQCsow
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum