RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool April 17th 2024, 10:40 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 April 17th 2024, 7:33 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17098 messages in 1005 subjects

STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building

+2
joecool
Roguedawg
6 posters

Go down

STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building Empty STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building

Post by Roguedawg October 26th 2017, 6:51 pm

Hello Commanders,

I am back!  I was looking up Cmdr. Marks Orienteering Control Program and noticed Rangerchat had replaced Ranger Forums.  I really missed everybody and see that there are new members as well.

Well I am working on my Wood Badge Ticket and one ticket item was a patrol based STEM Cardboard Bridge Building themed camp out.  The scouts were to build bridges made out of corregated cardboard, rope, twine, and tape.  The bridges had to span 10 feet and had to be 3 feet wide.  The goal was to hold at least 100 pounds of dead weight.

The adults were told to drink coffee and not interfere.  I also had to have at least one person involved outside of scouting in the event.  I chuckled a little and shot an email to the PA DOT requesting that a bridge inspector (right side of image) come and be an official bridge inspector.  I received an email from a man that was an official DOT bridge inspector and a scoutmaster.  Better yet, the guy only lived an hour away from Camp Brule'.  Since he was involved in scouting, that messed up my inclusion person.  So I ran into the local Borough Code Enforcer (left side of image).  He agreed to inspect the bridges provided that we feed him and his wife. "No problem buddy, what do you want to eat?"  I then got a hold of a structural engineer as a third inspector.

The outcomes were very evident.  We saw a couple of scouts arguing over what way to do a task was best, but for the most part, the scouts had a plan in mind and stayed with it.  (without the adults interfering!)  One troop made 4 attempts to build the bridge and failed.  They made a last attempt and succeeded having just over 100 pounds.  The bridge failed after 60 seconds.  Troop 41 of Horseheads, NY topped all the other troops with their bridge holding over 600 pounds. I ran out of dead weight and the scouts climbed on the bridge until it failed.

Our DOT Bridge Inspector commented that he really liked the theme and requested a copy of the Leaders Guide and the bridge specifications.  If anybody is interested I can email this to you if requested.  

By the way, the theme was tweeked from Mark Jone's Cardboard Raft Events.  It was kind of hard to float rafts at a winter encampment, so the bridges were the next best thing to make.

More importantly, our church just hired a youth pastor that is also and Eagle Scout.  I had Pastor Josiah come and perform the Scouts Own Service.  He played some worship music, got the scouts into a worship mode, ever got some adults dancing and praising the Lord, gave his sermon, and gave a salvation message.  Three scouts accepted the Lord!  One scout leader leaned over to some other scouts and said, "That is how you have a proper Scouts Own Service!"  The three scouts were in that scouters troop as well.

So that was the best bridge made for the day.  

Kelly Horton

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building Empty Re: STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building

Post by Roguedawg October 26th 2017, 6:54 pm

Does this forum allow images to be posted? I think it does was unable to do so. Kelly

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building Empty Re: STEM Themed Camp Out - Cardboard Bridge Building

Post by joecool October 26th 2017, 8:44 pm

Roguedawg wrote:Does this forum allow images to be posted?  I think it does was unable to do so.  Kelly

Yes, it does. But you'll have to wait for one of the old-timers to see your post and give you advice. I'm tech-challenged.

Nice report above. What part of the country are you in?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore October 26th 2017, 10:20 pm

Wow! Fantastic Report!

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roguedawg October 26th 2017, 11:54 pm

joecool wrote:
Roguedawg wrote:Does this forum allow images to be posted?  I think it does was unable to do so.  Kelly

Yes, it does. But you'll have to wait for one of the old-timers to see your post and give you advice. I'm tech-challenged.

Nice report above. What part of the country are you in?

We live in Sayre, PA which is right on the border with NY.  We are directly south of Watkins Glen/Ithaca, NY.  We attend Greater Valley AG in Athens, PA.  Our local was nice since we would double up on training modules in the Penn-Del and NY districts.  I have been involved in Scouting/Royal Rangers for about 37 years total.  My dad was the Scoutmaster (SM) of Troop 11 chartered by the Waverly Presbyterian Church.  I was the Senior Commander of Outpost 375 for 5 years.  We are in the North East Section of the Penn-Del District.  I am currently an Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM) of Troop 17 chartered by the Church of the Epiphany Catholic Church.  (Yes, there are born again Catholics as well as spirit filled ones.)  My son is a Life ranked scout lacking 3 merit badges and his Eagle Project to earn his Eagle Rank.  My daughter is involved in Girl Scouts and is working towards her Gold Award.  Her GS leaders are believers and are very good at what they do.  She is only 14 so she has time to work on it.    My son needs a kick in the rear though.  They both are keeping up their grades so I can't complain.  My son just attended a youth event and is running with it.  He is currently forming a Christian Youth Ministry in his school.  He has not had any opposition yet.  There are many Christian teachers employed that are silently backing him.  For the Sayre School District being a public school, they have allowed the OP come in and do presentations promoting the Royal Ranger Ministry in the past.  PA is a Commonwealth and outside groups are allowed access to schools, buildings, and buses.  Of course being courteous with the school powers goes a long way.

Roguedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross October 27th 2017, 6:40 am

I have to use a third party hosting site to post pictures. Always used photobucket, but heard that they require a fee now to enable you to post your pics to forums and such. I've seen lots of pics on forums that now just say "image unavailable" because of their policy change. Don't know who allows that service for free now...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett October 28th 2017, 12:49 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:
I have to use a third party hosting site to post pictures. Always used photobucket, but heard that they require a fee now to enable you to post your pics to forums and such. I've seen lots of pics on forums that now just say "image unavailable" because of their policy change. Don't know who allows that service for free now...

Try:
https://imgur.com/ Chris posted it in another topic.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 2nd 2017, 10:53 pm

I would really enjoy the pictures and your event report. It's been a while. Glad to see your doing great!
I can host the pictures and the report if you want to send them to me. markjonesranger@hotmail.com resize the pictures to about 400 k and write up a report and I will put them up and send you a link in a few.

Mark Jones
http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down