RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

September 2017 Thread

+3
ccm2361
Mark Jones
Phillip Gross
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

September 2017 Thread Empty September 2017 Thread

Post by Phillip Gross September 1st 2017, 7:57 am

Heading to Gatlinburg TN today for the weekend. We had to cancel our summer vacation due to being too busy, so we're going to take this opportunity to cut and run for a couple days. It's been years since I've been to Gatlinburg and the kids have never been. The kids are going to school this morning until 11 so they can get counted as a day and rhen we're going to pack up and head out.

Anyone have any plans for hanging out with family or friends, or just getting away? I've never been a huge Labor Day fan because it's just a "holiday" invented by the unions, but might as well take advantage of it... Maybe at one time in our history, when the majority of Americans honestly worked hard it was a holiday of merit, but it doesn't seem as appropriate now with all the laziness. I suppose technically the majority of Americans are still workers, but that ratio is in danger of reversing unless things are changing without me noticing. Does anyone thing the trend from the past decade or two is changing, or are we still barreling towards complete apathy? I've honestly been too busy thus year to read up on what's happening in the economy. Personally, we've been busier than we have been in several years. The only "news" headlines I see regularly are about the civil unrest. People upset at Trump about statues and such... I don't know. Dunno
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

September 2017 Thread Empty Re: September 2017 Thread

Post by Mark Jones September 1st 2017, 2:15 pm

Ya. My union got me a day off with pay for Monday. They the union keep my employer from working me 90 hours a week and make them pay time and a half and double time for over overtime hours in a weeks time. They have kept me at a upper middle class wage and provide a pension that I will take advantage of after 42 years with them. Also bargin for health care and wage increases. As far as working hard. I know I work harder than most folks I know. It's one reason I get paid so much. A lot of folk can't hack it. Even when the pay is way above the rest...some just can't hack it. GRIN!

Truth is. Unions have built the middle class with out them there would be 2 classes. My supervisors wages are based on what we make. They know they would make a lot less in a non union job.

In my experience Unions have been good for me. Kept god almighty business owners from being unfair and unreasonable and unsafe. They make them and me stand to a high standard.

So enjoy your day off. I will as well and I will be thankful for the hard work that each of us do on a daily basis to make our life easier. WE have it a lot easier than we ever have had. WE are blessed.

Mark Jones
I am a Pro Union. Pro Republican because of 'moral issues" and believe in working hard and getting paid and paying well for services rendered.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 3rd 2017, 2:50 pm

I have to work Monday Crying or Very sad
My employer is officially closed. all the office folks get the day off. But our restaurant customers still want service, especially in resort areas that are busy this weekend. So 2 drivers get to work, while everyone else enjoys a long weekend. September 2017 Thread 2410941

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 3rd 2017, 4:21 pm

There are definitely pros nad cons to unions. I know some union workers have a lazy mentality and feel secure so they get lazy. Others are tanks like Mark and have ethic. As far as labor goes according to leaked Uber audio from new ceo Dara he mentions robots will make deliveries in the future. Reality meets iRobot! Eventually what ar lowly laborers gonna do for wage?

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 4th 2017, 12:42 pm

I WISH that we didn't have to have unions. Obviously, the basic concept is adversarial (US vs THEM).

However, many (most?) companies would take advantage of the work-force if there was too much of a lack of accountability.

When Unions first came to be here, there were no Government Regulations about Safety, Length of Work Day, Number of Work Days in the Week, Overtime, Child Labor, etc. All of those issues have been addressed, and are regulated, by the Government. The role of Unions is less critical than it was 90 years ago.

I was a Union Brickmason in the early 1980's. The Union (not OSHA) was the first place that we went to when there was an unsafe work-site, and the situation was fixed.

However, when I started receiving "The Labor Press", it just about made me want to throw up. NOTHING written about it was about safety or planning or growing companies that supported Labor. It was ALL about the Evils of Capitalism and the Greed of Employers. It constantly screamed that President Reagan was Evil, and that we needed to get rid of him and all Republicans.

I worked under Jimmy Carter and under Ronald Reagan. Under Carter, there there was NO construction, and there were NO jobs to be found. Under Reagan, things started to flow again.

Under Carter, my cousin purchased a home in Milwaukee and paid 18% interest on his mortgage. I couldn't afford that, and lived in an apartment, even though my wife and I both worked. When Reagan became president, interest rates came down to 12%, and we could start looking at a house.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 4th 2017, 1:34 pm

I never "look for the union label", as the commercial always asked us. I look for the "Made in the USA" label.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 6th 2017, 12:15 pm

I have only ever worked for a union once. It was at a residential facility run by the Salvation Army in downtown Winnipeg serving the addicts and the homeless. On my 3rd day the contact expired. Never went on strike, never heard anything more of it and I worked there for 2 years. A whole lotta good those union dues....The workers all viewed it as a ministry so how could we go on strike and shut the place down..

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 6th 2017, 12:57 pm

September.. how crazy is this.

We had a great summer. My wife and I hiked the Cape Scott Trail for 5 days. According to my GPS we covered 76 KM. We had perfect weather too, not too hot or cold. Average temp during the day was 16deg C, at night 13deg C. Not a drop of rain but because it is in the "fog zone" it was a constant mist but not enough to get wet during the day. more refreshing then anything else. We tented for 3 nights on long sandy beaches with the waves rolling in. the fourth night was on a tent pad in old growth forest. Packs were only 35lbs and the trails were a flat mix of boardwalk, gravel, mud, roots, and old turn of the century corduroy road. There was a danish settlement in the late 1800's and there are remnants all over the place. Here are some pictures...

https://goo.gl/photos/ZJdvZCr5VvAYT7cm9

The rest of our summer was filled with work, and getting our new school principal up to speed on everything. And we have been blessed. Back in February, we were laying off one full time teacher, then after the principal and his teacher wife resigne and moved we have rehired the laid off teacher and hired both a new principal and added anther new teacher because our enrollment has increased so much! we are about to break 200 full time students. that's 40 over the same time last year!!!!

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 6th 2017, 1:16 pm

REALLY nice photos. Welcome back.

I have never seen the elevated wooden platforms for tents, before.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 6th 2017, 6:05 pm

Beautiful country you live in, Canada. Never thought about you guys having wolves. Always been there, or were they reintroduced?

The Christian school I teach at also broke 200 for the first time!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 7th 2017, 11:34 am

Claymore wrote:REALLY nice photos.  Welcome back.

I have never seen the elevated wooden platforms for tents, before.

2 benefits to the platform. 1, Your up off the ground and will not float away in our rain storms that we get. In Cape Scott, it rains more often then it doesn't. 2, it limits the places where you can put your tent and therefore reduces the damage to the environment, so the hippies say.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 7th 2017, 11:40 am

joecool wrote:Beautiful country you live in, Canada. Never thought about you guys having wolves. Always been there, or were they reintroduced?

The Christian school I teach at also broke 200 for the first time!

I don't know if they were introduced or what. We never saw anything bigger then a squirrl. We saw paw prints though.

Our School had a high of close to 300 about 10 years ago and hed been in a decline ever since then. Then 4 years ago we had some issues at the school and lost 40+ in one year to our lowest point of 147. We are praying for 300 in 2020.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 September 8th 2017, 5:44 pm

Hang on to your hat Phillip!

Looks like Irma might pay you a visit

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 8th 2017, 9:20 pm

Hey thanks for sharing the pictures and the trip report and the good news on the school. I enjoyed it all. We take for granted that where we live it's the same every where. I really enjoy hearing the trip reports and the pictures of the area and trees and trails and such.

Here if they build a wooden deck on the ground it's spider ridden and bug infested. They used to have them at Camp Eagle Rock for the patrols to set their tents on. I remember looking at those spider infested canvas tents and saying.. I am not sleeping there. GRIN! At Camp Eagle Rock we had a bear come wondering through camp at our NRMC last year. I never saw it. But 2 guys not far from my tent said it looked in his tent and was sniffing around. Staff had seen it getting into the dumpsters at the camp. Small little black bears around here. Rare but they are sighted from time to time.

Hows your Ranger Outpost going?

Canadarangers wrote:September.. how crazy is this.

We had a great summer.  My wife and I hiked the Cape Scott Trail for 5 days.  According to my GPS we covered 76 KM.  We had perfect weather too, not too hot or cold.  Average temp during the day was 16deg C, at night 13deg C.  Not a drop of rain but because it is in the "fog zone" it was a constant mist but not enough to get wet during the day.  more refreshing then anything else.  We tented for 3 nights on long sandy beaches with the waves rolling in. the fourth night was on a tent pad in old growth forest. Packs were only 35lbs and the trails were a flat mix of boardwalk, gravel, mud, roots, and old turn of the century corduroy road.  There was a danish settlement in the late 1800's and there are remnants all over the place.  Here are some pictures...

The rest of our summer was filled with work, and getting our new school principal up to speed on everything.  And we have been blessed.  Back in February, we were laying off one full time teacher, then after the principal and his teacher wife resigne and moved we have rehired the laid off teacher and hired both a new principal and added anther new teacher because our enrollment has increased so much!  we are about to break 200 full time students. that's 40 over the same time last year!!!!
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 9th 2017, 1:29 pm

Our outpost starts again in 2 weeks, so I'll let you know.

Bears and cougars are very common around here. Right out my back door we have seen evidence of bears and reports of cougars being caught. Never seen or heard of wolves around my city though. I am not sure how they got to the island.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 11th 2017, 12:27 am

Mark Jones wrote:Hey thanks for sharing the pictures and the trip report and the good news on the school.  I enjoyed it all.  We take for granted that where we live it's the same every where.  I really enjoy hearing the trip reports and the pictures of the area and trees and trails and such.  

Here if they build a wooden deck on the ground  it's spider ridden and bug infested.  They used to have them at Camp Eagle Rock for the patrols to set their tents on. I remember looking at those spider infested canvas tents and saying.. I am not sleeping there. GRIN!  At Camp Eagle Rock we had a bear come wondering through camp at our NRMC last year.  I never saw it.  But 2 guys not far from my tent said it looked in his tent and was sniffing around.  Staff had seen it getting into the dumpsters at the camp.  Small little black bears around here.  Rare but they are sighted from time to time.  

Hows your Ranger Outpost going?

Canadarangers wrote:September.. how crazy is this.

We had a great summer.  My wife and I hiked the Cape Scott Trail for 5 days.  According to my GPS we covered 76 KM.  We had perfect weather too, not too hot or cold.  Average temp during the day was 16deg C, at night 13deg C.  Not a drop of rain but because it is in the "fog zone" it was a constant mist but not enough to get wet during the day.  more refreshing then anything else.  We tented for 3 nights on long sandy beaches with the waves rolling in. the fourth night was on a tent pad in old growth forest. Packs were only 35lbs and the trails were a flat mix of boardwalk, gravel, mud, roots, and old turn of the century corduroy road.  There was a danish settlement in the late 1800's and there are remnants all over the place.  Here are some pictures...

The rest of our summer was filled with work, and getting our new school principal up to speed on everything.  And we have been blessed.  Back in February, we were laying off one full time teacher, then after the principal and his teacher wife resigne and moved we have rehired the laid off teacher and hired both a new principal and added anther new teacher because our enrollment has increased so much!  we are about to break 200 full time students. that's 40 over the same time last year!!!!

I should have packed a .357 mag 5 years ago!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 13th 2017, 4:44 pm

The Tigers sweep by the Tribe helped make Indians history as the American League all time winning streak of 21 games beating the A's. Next game beats the National League Cubs if we get win #22. Depending who you ask the Giants record of 26 games is top record. That Giants streak had a tie game. As I understand tie games back then were thrown out and replayed later.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 14th 2017, 4:02 pm

I know some of you guys are getting tired of the rain, but around here our VERY dry summer finally ended today. The firefighters have to be loving it. And as cold as it is, we're bound to see snow in the mountains come morning.
snow
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 14th 2017, 11:40 pm

Indians over take Cubs streak tonight to win 22 games straight. Cleveland is partying like we won the World Series! Four more to tie Giants all time record.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 15th 2017, 6:25 am

One day (soon) the streak will end, but it's a thing of beauty while it lasts. I remember a Sunday night ages ago watching the game where Cal Ripken, Jr broke the all-time consecutive games played record. The wife and I literally had one foot out the door to go to church, but we got to see Cal doing his lap around the stadium. Very moving.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 15th 2017, 4:13 pm

Sept 15th and snow is starting to stick in my backyard. Seems like it was just last week that I was boiling in 90 degree heat. Wait, it was last week.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 15th 2017, 4:58 pm

So the Tribe streak continues at 22 consecutive wins. Beating the Cubs second longest in MLB history of 21 games in 1935. The all time record held by the Giants 1916 of 26 is in our crosshairs. The longest this could end up going in season is 37. Cleveland was celebrating like they won the World Series! With 2 - 3/5 games series required plus 4/7 for required for W/S we've done that twice over by now.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 17th 2017, 9:32 am

And the streak ends.

My oldest grandson plays football. They have a long streak of lop-sided wins going back to the beginning of last year. The last two weeks, it's added up to 77-0. There are a couple of athletes on the team, but the majority of them are just average kids who are teachable and work hard. Yet, I've seen an attitude develop. Every streak eventually ends, and we'll see what they learn from the inevitable loss.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool September 18th 2017, 11:15 pm

Spent a little time on the national RR site. On the positive side, there was a good article on how small outposts can run a more effective program. On the negative side, the locator feature only lists 5 outposts in my state. I can't imagine what the Pow Wow looks like now.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett September 19th 2017, 3:45 am

joecool wrote:And the streak ends.

My oldest grandson plays football. They have a long streak of lop-sided wins going back to the beginning of last year. The last two weeks, it's added up to 77-0. There are a couple of athletes on the team, but the majority of them are just average kids who are teachable and work hard. Yet, I've seen an attitude develop. Every streak eventually ends, and we'll see what they learn from the inevitable loss.

Definitely true everything does end. It was great to see fan reaction During the 23rd game they stood and cheered them on as much as before. The Royals pitcher looked surprised. It was nice it exceeded the Cubs streak after last year's loss.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content