We have 86 registered users
The newest registered user is CalvinM

Our users have posted a total of 13409 messages in 714 subjects

Mayo no mustard

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mayo no mustard

Post by Phillip Gross on May 25th 2016, 8:53 am

Hit the gym again this morning. Unbelievable how out of shape I am compared to the last time I worked out in my early 20's! At this point I'm just achieving a lot of failure. Supposedly achieving failure is a pretty good thing for muscle growth if you give your body enough protein to rebuild.

It's a strange sensation to be in total pain, yet feel good at the same time. It's been a long time since I experienced endorphins.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 25th 2016, 5:54 pm

You guys need to get out and get a job. I went up 9 poles today with about 75 lbs of gear some of those poles was lugging the ladder back into the rear easements fighting trees, taking gates off, leaning out 5 feet..... ops I mean 12"
My preivous 2 days was easy work compared to today.

Did I mention we had rain half the day and I was dodging lightning bolts and wind this morning. It's all good and I get paid for it.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 25th 2016, 8:08 pm

That's what I kept thinking. That because I do construction that I was in fine shape. In truth, I am a lot stronger than many people, but not where I need to be. I carry heavy stuff, pull wire through pipe that doesn't want to go, climb ladders and stairs. But this crossfit is kicking my butt!

Reminds me of years ago when I first got into racing. I thought because I was a hot rodder on the streets that I'd be a winner at the track... he. How truly little did I know about pushing a car as far as it could go (not just in a straight line). Spirited street driving isn't even in the ballpark as racing on a track. Same with physically working hard vs working out. Wink
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 26th 2016, 9:01 am

Feeling a bit light-headed in the midst of all this testosterone.

Got back late last night after a run down to Yellowstone. Rain, some snow, and more rain the whole two days. Still worth it, though. That canyon is really something.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 26th 2016, 2:43 pm

joecool wrote:Feeling a bit light-headed in the midst of all this testosterone.
I believe they call it "Low T" these days. They do make medication for that you know.... Mr Green

Three days in a row and I'm totally torn up! Going to have to take a rest day tomorrow to give the cells time to mend. Been reading up on supplements and think I need to get some glutamine to help facilitate the repair. Started taking protein the first day, but I think I need something in addition. Reading about some other amino acids as well.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 26th 2016, 6:16 pm

Phillip Gross wrote: ...but I think I need something in addition.

Stay away from all that stuff they advertise on TV. And don't take any advice from anyone who's biceps are bigger than their thighs, either. If you want to look like Arnold...wait, the household maid's husband keeps a tight rein on her now.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 26th 2016, 7:01 pm

Ok. Today I rested up and never went up a single pole. THANK GOODNESS. I was tired last night.

Did some walking around and resplicing cable out in the rural areas. Some of these ditches are 5 feet tall. I had to cut in a step with a shovel to get back up to the truck.

I know what your saying. I get out on those 25 milers with a backpack on and I find out I am not as good shape as I thought I was... (Everyone in my group is generally younger so they all feel good about it knowning if the ole timer (me) can do it they can do it...) I laugh when they say how do you do it? I smile and say all my work at at&t is not sitting in a truck watching a computer screen...har.

Keep up the activity. I would love to be at Yellowstone. Its been almost 14 years since I was there. That place is awesome. I could watch those volcanic water pools bubble and boil for days and weeks.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 26th 2016, 9:41 pm

Don't they suspect that old faithful will blow one day? I've never been to Yellowstone, but I'd like to.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 26th 2016, 10:23 pm

I think Yellowstone will be the end of the USA it's due to blow and last time they said it covered the USA area with many feet of ash.

Joecool walk softly and carry a big plane. GRIN!

I really love Yellowstone it's so worth the trip. We spent about 8 days out there. It was a cool trip.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 26th 2016, 11:06 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:Don't they suspect that old faithful will blow one day? I've never been to Yellowstone, but I'd like to.

Get here before it does. The view won't be near as pretty afterwards. Think Mount St Helens and multiply by 10,000.

Yellowstone has a caldera (depression) volcano underneath. Forty miles and more across. Underground is a lot of hot magma, which is what gives the area its uniqueness. Whenever it goes, and it will someday...50,000 years or so from now....or maybe tomorrow...the ash will make your gentleman's farm extremely fertile.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 27th 2016, 12:48 pm

I remember as a kid hearing about a year in the 1800's that didn't have a summer because a volcano had erupted and filled the atmosphere with so much ash that the sun couldn't penetrate to the surface enough to warm things up. Anyone else heard of that? I don't recall details because it's something I heard a long time ago.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 27th 2016, 2:34 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:I remember as a kid hearing about a year in the 1800's that didn't have a summer because a volcano had erupted and filled the atmosphere with so much ash that the sun couldn't penetrate to the surface enough to warm things up. Anyone else heard of that? I don't recall details because it's something I heard a long time ago.

That would have been Krakatoa in Indonesia, sometime in the 1880s. It was a big one for sure. It was a few years before the world's climate was back to normal. rain Shocked Snowing

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on May 27th 2016, 5:15 pm

joecool wrote:
Phillip Gross wrote:I remember as a kid hearing about a year in the 1800's that didn't have a summer because a volcano had erupted and filled the atmosphere with so much ash that the sun couldn't penetrate to the surface enough to warm things up. Anyone else heard of that? I don't recall details because it's something I heard a long time ago.

That would have been Krakatoa in Indonesia, sometime in the 1880s. It was a big one for sure. It was a few years before the world's climate was back to normal.    rain Shocked Snowing

How did they fix it? Ban Cars & Aerosol Cans?

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 28th 2016, 6:47 am

Didn't go to the gym yesterday or today. They're closed Sunday and then Monday too for Memorial Day. Hopefully the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) will have subsided by then! I'm walking around in one big ball of pain. Laughing

In the reading I've done about it, supposedly the body adapts to the new movements and will reduce the intensity of DOMS, until or unless you again extremely change things up.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on May 28th 2016, 10:15 pm

affraid Ya'll can't be saying climate change is a natural phenomenon...?

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on May 28th 2016, 10:35 pm

Mark Jones wrote:Well family vacation 11 days done.  
Week after next 4 days of pow wow.  Then 3 days after pow wow we go on a 3 day JCE Junior Canoe Expedition for 26 miles camping 2 nights.  Then marry off my son last sibling in house and then take a 2 week break and go to National Camporama.  In some of that sack time we will do a float or two with our Rangers.  

I love the Summer months.  We ramp up our events and they love it.  Some make it some don't.  Some are on vacation some think Rangers is vacation. GRIN!

Bottom line is souls saved.  

How in the round world will we have time to build card board boats... have to put in a work night or two on those to get up to speed.

Don't let the summer months get past your outpost.  It's a mistake to do so.  TIME spent with these young men will pay off with heavenly rewards for them and you.  It's worth denying self and stretching oneself a bit more.  

These last 11 days piddling down at the beach has me even more so wanting to make a difference.  

I saw a gay pride event at one of the campgrounds we passed through on the way down to the Gulf.  It was a sad thing to see young men dressed up in tooo tooos and walking around like a bunch of mixxxxed up girls.  It still leaves me with a sick filling in my stomach.  Lord had me praying for them while we camped over night.  A very sick and depraved world we live in.  

Time is short.  This world isn't our home and we must remind each other to go the distance.  Stretch past our comfort zones.  

I saw so many people that will bust hell wide open this past 11 days.  They don't even know it or don't care about it.  The are caught up in the me, myself and I movement.  

Mark Jones

Total depravity of man at its best. We now have men identifying as dogs and horses.  Hopefully some of them God will choose to transform their stoney hearts into a heart of flesh.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 30th 2016, 11:24 am

What do you guys think about people who say, or write "Happy Memorial Day"? Is it wrong that it gripes me? This is the day that we remember those who gave their lives for this nation. I'm "happy" that we have freedom because of their sacrifices, but it's not a happy thing that their blood soaked into the soil in some foreign land. Am I missing something here?
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on May 30th 2016, 12:09 pm

We have a retired Army Lieutenant-Colonel in our Church.  He has three combat tours of Vietnam and three Purple Hearts.  He started his tour as an enlisted Combat Infantryman, then became a Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilot, and then took a Commission in his last 1/3 of his Service Tour.  

He has a Combat Infantryman's Badge, Pilot's Wings, Drill Sergeant Badge, and Paratrooper Wings in his decorations.

I wished him "Happy Memorial Day" yesterday, at Church.

I understand where you are coming from.  I just can't come up with a more appropriate "blessing" that doesn't sound awkward.

I think that it is better to wish someone "Happy Memorial Day" than to ignore the reason for the Holiday, altogether.

By the way, I have to run in to Church to put the flag back up to Full-Staff at Noon.  (Rangers are in charge of the Flag Pole and Holiday Etiquette.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers on May 30th 2016, 3:24 pm

We Canadians honour our veterans and war dead on November 11.  I have never heard anyone say happy remembrance day. It is a national holiday and most small business are closed.  

Thank you to my American Brothers in arms!

Last edited by Canadarangers on May 30th 2016, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 30th 2016, 4:02 pm

I just think that most Americans in general are so superficial that they only think about how they can have "fun" in that moment and don't want to think about the fact that there are many people who gave it all so they have the freedom to be stupid. Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but I don't think it's always a bad thing to be somber at times.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on May 30th 2016, 4:37 pm

Well, part of it is the Beast that WE have made it. Memorial Day was set as May 30. In 1968, the "Uniform Monday Holiday Act" moved five holidays (Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, Labor Day, Washington's Birthday, and Columbus Day) all from recognized dates to Mondays.

This was to give workers more 3-day week-ends.

It also shot the snot out of people remembering the REASON for the holidays. Now all that people can think about is getting their boat ready to go out on the lake.

When I was a boy (pre-68), Memorial Day and Labor Day were Big Local Holidays. That was because people didn't use them for mini-vacations. People stayed in their own neighborhoods and had local parades and picnics.

I'm surprised that they didn't move the 4th of July, also.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 30th 2016, 7:20 pm

Unfortunately I have heard someone ask when the 4th of July was... um
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down