Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» July Thread
by RRCmdrBennett Today at 4:22 am

» Culture Rot
by RRCmdrBennett July 15th 2017, 10:27 am

» BAC Backpacking Action Camp 38 signed up to go..huh? YUP 38 signed up.
by Mark Jones July 10th 2017, 6:22 pm

» June 2017 Thread
by Claymore July 3rd 2017, 11:17 pm

» Finally Pulled the Trigger
by RRCmdrBennett June 25th 2017, 11:02 pm

» Gold Dust and Feathers
by ccm2361 June 19th 2017, 5:08 pm

» Pow Wow 2017 So. Mo District we had a great Pow Wow.
by Mark Jones June 14th 2017, 9:59 am

» Frontier Adventure 2017 So. MO District
by Mark Jones June 3rd 2017, 8:25 am

» May 2017 Thread
by Phillip Gross June 3rd 2017, 7:50 am

Statistics
We have 81 registered users
The newest registered user is BLCKWLF

Our users have posted a total of 12847 messages in 686 subjects

Mayo no mustard

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mayo no mustard

Post by Phillip Gross on May 5th 2016, 11:44 pm

Cinco de Mayo already and no new monthly thread? Heck, I figured Dan would've started it at least by yesterday with a "May the 4th be with you".

What a day! Started like any other, but ended up 16 hours later with almost 600 more miles on my truck. Got the guys started this morning before heading back to the office to go print out some drawings I needed for a job I am bidding. Went to the site, which is about 1-1/2 hrs away at 11am to walk the job and look it over. After that I found a dirt bike at the right price up in NC, so I zigged about another hour northwest to go get it. After that there was another bike I found on Craigslist for another good price, so I zagged another two hours northeast to get that one too up in Greensboro NC. After all that I pointed the truck southwest and got home almost four hours later.

By that time it was almost 10pm and the kids were asleep except for Phillip Jr. I woke Seth up and asked if they would come outside to help me unload the truck because the rain was starting. No complaints. Just good boys willing to get out of bed to help dad at 10 o'clock unload his truck. But oh the look on their faces when I shined the flashlight into the bed of the truck so they could see what they were offloading!! Christmas in May! All thanks to the race bike we sold the other week... Got another one possibly sold too. Guy texted me tonight with a few questions and said he's interested.

All in all a good Cinco de Mayo!
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Mayo no mustard

Post by joecool on May 5th 2016, 11:53 pm

Phillip Gross wrote: All in all a good Cinco de Mayo!

So much better than getting drunk. Heard an "expert" once say that Cinco was a very minor holiday that the beer companies promoted in order to make more money.

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 6th 2016, 12:11 am

I think the beer companies exploit every holiday except for maybe Easter. Wink
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 6th 2016, 10:14 am

Phillip Gross wrote:I think the beer companies exploit every holiday except for maybe Easter. Wink

Mini-beer mugs with chocolate eggs coming up.

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers on May 6th 2016, 12:23 pm

Wildfires are burning away in northern BC and in Fort McMurray.  The Fort McMurray fire they say is bigger then Manhattan. It grew to over 100,000 Hectares overnight. I have friends and family here in town who usually work up there.  They have both been evacuated and are now back home safely, thank God.  

On another sad note, could you guys please keep my church in prayer.  We had one of our adherents take his own life this week.  A very difficult situation as he had been served divorce papers earlier in the day. He will be sadly missed.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 on May 7th 2016, 9:58 am

Sorry to hear that Jeremy. Divorce is a difficult thing.

ccm2361
Admin
Admin

http://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 on May 7th 2016, 9:59 am

Working quite a bit these days. Don't find near as much time to get on here as I used to.

ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 9th 2016, 10:04 am

Please say a prayer for my brother's oldest son. This week he was arrested for driving on a suspended license, DUI (3rd time), and putting his kids at risk. Yep, they were in the car with him.

My brother bailed him out of jail, which is what he said he wouldn't do again. A deputy at church says he could get up to 5 years in prison. (My brother's younger son is also an ex-con, for burglarizing military housing. I always wondered if prison is where he went gay.) There's no Mom in the picture. She's an alcoholic, drug addict, and part-time prostitute, and has no custody of any kind. My brother is watching the kids now.

Many years ago, I was present in the church service where my nephew gave his heart to the Lord. It's time for another come-to-Jesus moment.

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 9th 2016, 6:23 pm

My grandson's baseball game was canceled tonight. 37 degrees and a light snow falling. Gotta love Montana! Snowing

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 9th 2016, 10:31 pm

That's CRAZY!! My parents are heading out to Montana this week for about a month.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 13th 2016, 5:46 am

Heading up to our first Pow Wow today. We'll have 6 boys and 4 commanders going, leaving 3 eligible boys and 2 commanders who either couldn't or didn't want to go. One Cmdr is swamped at work, the other is father to a son who can't go (so I don't blame him), leaving only two boys who could go, but didn't really want to for some reason. I suspect one was for reason of money, but the parent never said that and I didn't want to offend by offering to pay if it truly is for another reason. All in all I think we have a good group going and I'm looking forward to the boys experiencing something new.

We do a lot of camping compared to other outposts, from what I gather having talked to other commanders, but have not been to a Pow Wow yet. We're pretty good at the rugged backpacking trips, but don't have much experience in "organized" camps complete with kitchen area, eating area, entrance, yells, standards, etc. After this weekend we'll either get a vision of that sort of thing and start to develop it,... or we'll just continue to be the SF platoon that shows up at base and looks out of place compared to the regular army guys. Wink
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 13th 2016, 7:23 pm

Have a great time. You guys will enjoy it. It's neat camping with a group of like minded folks. Just go to enjoy it. Next year go to compete it will sharpen your outpost.

This year we will be really laid back on our competitions. We could take the 1st place trophy just about every year but this year is different. Past camp commanders won't be there including me in camp. I will be busy doing District stuff.

I told this years Camp Commander for our outpost to just camp and have a good time. He's pretty good at being laid back and it will be a fun time no matter how we go after it.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Special Member
Special Member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 15th 2016, 4:32 pm

Back from Pow Wow. Had a pretty good time and learned a few things. First off, I learned that we're not really all that shabby of an outpost after all. Also started learning the ropes and we'll be able to be in contention for some of the contests next year. But probably the biggest thing I learned, and this ties back into the first thing, is that everyone is a little shabby in some way or another. We're all just guys that have a lot on our plates, but are doing the best we can to RTK kids for Christ.

It was a high energy weekend, but refreshing at the same time. Maybe reinvigorating is a better term... Coming into fellowship with the other commanders face to face gave me a bit of a jumpstart for my batteries. I was really looking forward to taking the summer break from Rangers before I went (and we are still going to go to a light schedule for summer), but now I'm thinking more about what I want to do next fall. It also gave the boys a goal for the outpost and they were talking about what we are going to do for next Pow Wow.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 15th 2016, 10:15 pm

Good report. I am thankful you guys had a good time and found like minded folks there doing what we are all called to do RTK for Christ.

Taking your outpost outside and camping is a key strength to a great outpost. It's worth the hassle and the expense.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 16th 2016, 5:33 am

Couldn't agree with you more. We don't camp as much as some outposts, but more than others. Regardless of the frequency, I see that it is important for the boys, and I would say that we have a solid core group because of it. I knew that the boys would really enjoy going to Pow Wow, but I think what is pleasantly surprising to me is how it affected the commanders. I may be wrong, but I wonder if it did more good for the commanders than it even did for the boys. Maybe it was an equal boost for men and boys.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 16th 2016, 9:45 am

I remember my last SoCal outpost's first PowWow. The boys (and commanders) came in big-eyed and a bit intimidated, but soaked it all in. After another year's seasoning, out of 52 outposts, we came in 9th place. And 3rd the year after. That doesn't happen solely through the efforts of the senior commander. If they all catch the vision...yowzir!

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 16th 2016, 9:58 pm

Well, mom and dad have made it to Montana. They're staying down in Butte , and should be able to make it the rest of the way to Thompson Falls tomorrow. That sound doable Bruce? I'm happy they're doing this. If I haven't already mentioned it, they know sone people who are building a missionary training camp up there and mom and dad are going to help work on the place for a few weeks.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 16th 2016, 10:15 pm

Phillip Gross wrote: Well, mom and dad have made it to Montana.

Should be in the 60's for the rest of this week. I imagine it's a 5-hour drive for them tomorrow. The National Bison Range is about 1-1/2 hours from Thompson Falls. Nice close-ups of those beasts, including elk and bighorn sheep.

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 18th 2016, 7:06 pm

Aw were enjoying beach and wind and rain and sun and more of the same. Feet are sun burned. Sand is everywhere. We are in a boil water order for Corpus Christi. What fun these family vacations are.

We have been down here for 5 days and have not had a fountain drink. It's all canned sodas in all the fast food places.

I can't wait to get back home so I can go back to work. HA!

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 18th 2016, 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear thIngs aren't going the greatest. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 21st 2016, 6:09 am

We're getting ready for COA this Sunday and then we start our summer break. I gathered the leader's summer schedules together to figure out what we could do during the summer so that we don't lose complete contact with the kids. Came down to one event in the middle of summer. It'll just be a fun time with icecream, games etc. Not only are the leaders busy, but a lot of the kids are too.

We're finishing up our fourth year as an outpost and we fiddle with the schedule every year trying to get it right. In the beginning we went straight through, year round. Then we started taking breaks in the summer because attendance was so dismal and the leaders were getting worn out. I think we're ending slightly too early this year, but I can tell everyone is ready for a break. I floated an idea to my wife that I'm going to bring up at the leader's meeting later this summer before we kick back off. We normally end up taking two weeks off around Christmas because of how the holiday falls. I'm thinking we may take a full month off around Christmas and then go another two weeks in the spring. We'll end up with the same number of meeting nights, but it will shift. That will make the summer break a little shorter, but we'll have more time around the winter holidays to relax.

Just still trying to find a balance that gives maximum return on investment. In a perfect world we'd have so many people willing to participate in this ministry that we could cycle people as they need and/or want to be absent for family time, or just to rest. Our group of leaders is very committed and give their all during the year. Right now they're tired and ready for a break, and I get it. So we'll just keep tweaking it until we find the right formula.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on May 21st 2016, 11:31 am

I'm dating myself here, but back in the day there weren't very many options available to families. There weren't credit cards (overall, a good thing), so you had to deny your wants until money was saved up. If you were lucky, you had one vacation each year.

Obviously, things are different now. Rangers must compete with a family's other activities. The culture changes a couple of times during each generation. Go with what works, and closely listen to your families...and leaders. Without both, you have nothing. With my last outpost, I had to give up on my desire to have a monthly outing. It was tough, but necessary.

joecool
Posting Star
Posting Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 21st 2016, 3:58 pm

Well family vacation 11 days done.  
Week after next 4 days of pow wow.  Then 3 days after pow wow we go on a 3 day JCE Junior Canoe Expedition for 26 miles camping 2 nights.  Then marry off my son last sibling in house and then take a 2 week break and go to National Camporama.  In some of that sack time we will do a float or two with our Rangers.  

I love the Summer months.  We ramp up our events and they love it.  Some make it some don't.  Some are on vacation some think Rangers is vacation. GRIN!

Bottom line is souls saved.  

How in the round world will we have time to build card board boats... have to put in a work night or two on those to get up to speed.

Don't let the summer months get past your outpost.  It's a mistake to do so.  TIME spent with these young men will pay off with heavenly rewards for them and you.  It's worth denying self and stretching oneself a bit more.  

These last 11 days piddling down at the beach has me even more so wanting to make a difference.  

I saw a gay pride event at one of the campgrounds we passed through on the way down to the Gulf.  It was a sad thing to see young men dressed up in tooo tooos and walking around like a bunch of mixxxxed up girls.  It still leaves me with a sick filling in my stomach.  Lord had me praying for them while we camped over night.  A very sick and depraved world we live in.  

Time is short.  This world isn't our home and we must remind each other to go the distance.  Stretch past our comfort zones.  

I saw so many people that will bust hell wide open this past 11 days.  They don't even know it or don't care about it.  The are caught up in the me, myself and I movement.  

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 on May 21st 2016, 10:10 pm

Beautiful day today Sunny

We had a work day at the church: weeding flower beds, putting mulch down, picking up sticks etc.

ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on May 24th 2016, 9:51 am

My wife has been doing cross fit for a couple months now and is getting toned up. I thought about it for a few weeks and then decided to go with her this morning to the 5:30 class... I thought I might die, but I finished strong. Today's circuit was 10 reps of bicep curls (dumbell weight of your choice), 10 reps of tricep extensions, 10 reps with the kettle ball lifting up to your chin, 10 reps at the punching bag, squatting between every punch, then two sprints the length of the gym. Then you do that circuit as many times as you can in 30 minutes.

I came home and laid on the couch for about an hour before I had to go meet the guys at the shop to get them rolling. I've got to go to a couple other jobs today to figure out solutions to problems... grrr. Mad

I'll probably go back to the gym to try it again in the morning. Even though my job is a physical one a lot of the time, I know I could use a little higher level of fitness. If the poo really ever does hit the fan, life will be much harder than it is now. Better to be in better condition to face it. If it doesn't happen, being in better shape is still good. Plus it's something that she and I can do together. With as busy as our life is, finding things that we can spend time together doing is important. There is a day coming when our extended stay guests, aka: our kids, will leave and start their own families. We don't want to look at each other one day and have no idea who the other person is. Unfortunately a lot of marriages fall apart once the nest empties. We don't want that, so we find ways to continue building our relationship in the midst of all the chaos.
Phillip Gross
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum