RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 27th 2024, 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

March Madness

+2
RRCmdrBennett
Phillip Gross
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

March Madness - Page 2 Empty Re: March Madness

Post by Canadarangers March 7th 2016, 11:18 pm

I'd give money to hear her say that.

Just to clarify, I am not a monarchist. I did affirm an allegiance to the queen when I signed up for the forces.

As soon as Prince Charles takes the throne(the queen is after all in her 90's now), a few things change. We sing God save the king (once in while), and all Canadian Warships go from being HMCS(Her Majesty's Canadian Ship.... to being His Majesty's...

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 8th 2016, 12:56 am

We'll give you the original 13 colony/states back plus you can keep California as well. One other thing you must recall Piers Morgan and put him in exile in Australia.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 8th 2016, 12:59 am

Number 15 I guess Japan and Toronto Blue Jays don't count as baseball countries?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 8th 2016, 2:08 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote:We'll give you the original 13 colony/states back plus you can keep California as well. One other thing you must recall Piers Morgan and put him in exile in Australia.

+1 on That!!

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers March 8th 2016, 11:47 pm

Sorry, Australia won't take him.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 9th 2016, 12:38 am

Canadarangers wrote:Sorry, Australia won't take him.

It's a Flippin' Penal Colony.

That's what they were made for!

(Your "Commonwealth" Stuff does not work, as intended.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 9th 2016, 10:11 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote: recall Piers Morgan and put him in exile in Australia.

Been to Australia a couple of times. A wonderful place filled with the best people on that side of the planet. Don't ruin it!
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 9th 2016, 8:13 pm

Hired one of my rangers. He's 17 and loosely home schooled, so I asked if he wanted to learn a trade. He'd been working at a chicken farm picking up the dead since he was 13, so I knew he had commitment to a job. So far he's doing well, but it's only been three days. I believe that he'll do well if he likes it.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers March 9th 2016, 11:24 pm

Claymore wrote:
Canadarangers wrote:Sorry, Australia won't take him.

(Your "Commonwealth" Stuff does not work, as intended.)

Commonweath is not the same thing as common good.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 10th 2016, 9:32 am

Canadarangers wrote: Commonweath is not the same thing as common good.

"Common wealth" is a nice name for what our Democrats do: wealth redistribution.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 10th 2016, 1:52 pm

Phillip, are you still a part of the school your church started a couple of years ago? How's that going?

At the school where I used to teach (I've stayed close through volunteering time on a variety of projects), the principal is retiring and the superintendent is going to a new school in S. America. The board is combining both positions into one, but I'm not interested in that. They are also advertising for a middle school teacher, and I'm actually considering it. Although I enjoy retirement and being only as busy as I want to be...I'm a little restless.

I have been homeschooling a grand-daughter this year, and I would NOT walk away from her this Fall. I broached the subject with her parents last night, and they were surprisingly open to the possibility of sending her to the school. I think I would be her teacher for 3 subjects. We'll see where this goes over the next month.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 11th 2016, 2:26 am

March Madness - Page 2 CE04DE47-7011-4DD7-B4BE-29E2586B13E3_zpsmy3vmenu
Its Been at least 6 mos since the weather cooperated with my schedule. There is my new benchrest and 50th anniv 10/22 Ruger mounted with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope. I bought 600 rnds of 7.62x39 for $110. Figured I'd sell it for $210 easy on Facebook. I posted on Lorain County sales group and got an offer for a trade for the scope retail $250 and mounting rings $40. Trade value definitely in my favor. I got it bore sighted to 100 yards. 

March Madness - Page 2 1B156C33-8726-4C2B-8C0A-3257FCFD8A5E_zpsmbyz8jwt

March Madness - Page 2 E3B485AE-4006-4407-8689-050D73A47A5F_zps8gozchvd

Two groupings I shot with the 10/22. 

March Madness - Page 2 A2BCE4FF-623A-48C3-8FA7-749CC70EB722_zps6nqziznz

Two shots I took with my new Winchester SXP 12 GA.  Upper right is 00 buck and lower left is buckshot #4 both at 5 yards with a Full choke. Was curious to see the spread pattern and differences in the two. 

Last edited by RRCmdrBennett on March 11th 2016, 2:46 am; edited 4 times in total

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 11th 2016, 2:31 am

That is my first attempt at narrating a gun video demonstrating my SXP's ability to auto chuck the slide back and eject its own shell one handed. I'd appreciate a "like" and please subscribe. 

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 11th 2016, 5:19 am

joecool wrote:Phillip, are you still a part of the school your church started a couple of years ago? How's that going?

At the school where I used to teach (I've stayed close through volunteering time on a variety of projects), the principal is retiring and the superintendent is going to a new school in S. America. The board is combining both positions into one, but I'm not interested in that. They are also advertising for a middle school teacher, and I'm actually considering it. Although I enjoy retirement and being only as busy as I want to be...I'm a little restless.

I have been homeschooling a grand-daughter this year, and I would NOT walk away from her this Fall. I broached the subject with her parents last night, and they were surprisingly open to the possibility of sending her to the school. I think I would be her teacher for 3 subjects. We'll see where this goes over the next month.
Yes, we're still heavily involved. LCS (Liberty Christian School) along with RR and AHG are our church's main ministries. Some churches focus on homeless ministries, or missions (national or international), but we found our part to play in Kingdom work in training up the next generation. We're not into pandering to the frivolous passions of the current generation and trying to "beat" society with better entertainment (which is a tough proposition), but rather training up children in the way they should go. We've found that the outpost and the school are good methodical ways to do that.

I was just contemplating the fact the other day that the ministries we're involved in are slow, long term projects in which the full impact of the work won't be completely seen for years to come. That fact requires you to stay focused on Father instead of getting "pumped up" by results, because you may not see the results for a long time.

We should be breaking ground on the new building within the next couple weeks. The goal is to have the new sanctuary finished and the old one converted to classroom areas by next school year. We have to turn students away almost weekly because of our lack of facility space. I believe that we'll need to begin another building project as soon as this current one is complete. The next building will be a classroom wing. The community is definitely aware of the school and there's a lot of interest because of the degradation of the public screwl system.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 11th 2016, 9:14 am

Are there no other Christian schools in your town, Phillip? And what's the population count?

Speaking of the public screwl system, I got an e-mail from my other grand-daughter's future high school. Looks like the board is ready to make a decision on transgendered students. I've said my piece, and given them a potential solution as well. Now we'll see what they do.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 11th 2016, 11:41 am

Phillip Gross wrote:

.............................we found our part to play in Kingdom work in training up the next generation. We're not into pandering to the frivolous passions of the current generation and trying to "beat" society with better entertainment  (which is a tough proposition), but rather training up children in the way they should go. We've found that the outpost and the school are good methodical ways to do that.

REALLY interesting take.

I think that you've hit on something that many Ranger Leaders know (at least deep within).  While you may not see the IMMEDIATE effects of working with kids in the Sunday Attendance Count, you are having a permanent positive effect for the Kingdom.

It's easy to spend $40.00 on a box of groceries for someone who you only see when there is "free stuff" being given out, but the church doesn't have $40.00 for the Rangers or Girls Programs.

Many of the adult "Rice Christians" will be at whatever church is giving out free stuff that week.  On the weeks when nothing is being given out, they stay home.

It seems like churches are starting to mimic the politicians.  You take your limited resources and spend them on people who will, temporarily, boost Sunday Morning Attendance (kind-of like votes).  However, when the Methodists start giving out better stuff, they are down at the Methodist Church.

The Church of God has a Pastor's Salary Schedule based upon Church Attendance.  While I don't know that other churches do, it does stand to reason that the pastor of a 2,000 member church is going to be making more than the pastor of an 80 member church.  I am not calling our Clergy greedy, but it cannot help but to have an effect, when a pastor is looking at paying for his son to go to college or for his daughter's upcoming wedding.

But 8 to 13 year-old boys don't Have a "vote".  To many members (and leaders) in the church, Rangers, Missionettes, & AHG are just places to send the kids so that they do not get into trouble while Mom & Dad can be in the Service.

Many of us who have been leaders have seen the young adult come back and tell of the profound effects that Royal Rangers (and the personal example of the Leaders) have had on their lives.

But again, you have to wait for years to see those results.  They can't be counted in the pews on the next Sunday.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 12th 2016, 8:14 am

Unfortunately you are probably correct about a lot of churches. Whether it be increased salary, or just the "prestige" of having a larger congregation, many are involved in the numbers game. That's human nature to equate numbers with success. Maybe that's not totally bad, but it shouldn't be our main focus above quality.

joecool wrote:Are there no other Christian schools in your town, Phillip? And what's the population count?
There's no other Christian school directly in Gilbert. There's a really small one in Batesburg (one town to the west) that has stayed the same size for years and I don't know why they haven't grown... There's another one in the town to the East of Gilbert that is a little larger, but I think it's fairly expensive for what it is and they maintain their numbers as well. We also have really big and expensive Christian schools in the Columbia area, but they're for the slightly more affluent. Because we view this venture as a ministry, we're keeping costs as low as possible and trusting God for the finances.

According to Google, the population of Gilbert town is 586, but that's because the actual town limits are small. Most people reside in the county. It's also interesting the way everything is split up as far as zip codes, voting precincts, school areas, etc. Where my home is we have a Leesville zip code and mailing address, our voting precinct is a tiny town (if you can call it that) of Summit, and our kids would go to Gilbert schools if they went public.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 12th 2016, 8:20 am

I just did a search of Christian schools in this area and found more than I knew about. Apparently there are probably more people tired of public schools than I thought. I'm curious if they too are having people trying to flock to them.

I will add that we are very selective about who we admit. Just because a parent can afford tuituon, doesn't automatically secure a spot. We're not a reform school and don't admit kids who've been kicked out of another school and just need a place to go.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 12th 2016, 11:08 am

Phillip Gross wrote: We're not a reform school and don't admit kids who've been kicked out of another school and just need a place to go.

The school here where I taught used to be separate K-8 and 9-12, with different boards and everything. To raise their revenue, and not as an expanded ministry, the high school became a dumping ground for expelled students. Almost destroyed them. A few months before I was hired, the schools merged in name, and the inherited debt is still there. Also, it was another 5 years before we found a single building to house us.

The HS principal became the overall superintendent. He had the gift of gab and an MBA. He talked several board members into putting up personal collateral for a land purchase loan. The intent was to develop the land, sell off a hundred lots and use the profits to build a new school campus. Well, the economy went south, the neighboring land owners put up a fight, and the county commissioners put up wall after wall. Years later, everyone had to declare bankruptcy. Oh, and to pay bills, the superintendent/bookkeeper quit putting money into teachers' retirement accounts and was caught. Our school's reputation is still mud.

(The preceding was shared as a public service message.)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross March 16th 2016, 11:29 pm

What a night! The boys team ended up losing tonight by one run, but it was good overall. We were down by 10 runs going into the bottom of the 4th and then came back within 4 or 5. We held them in the top of the 5th and then tI'd it up in the bottom of the 5th. The league they're in only plays 6 innings, or 110 minutes unless it's tied. By the top of the 5th it was already at time limit, but since we tied it up at our at bat, it had to continue, and we went into extra innings. The game was finally over after 3 hrs of game play with a score of 19-18. The good part about it is that they are the best team in the league, but our team now knows they can compete with them (our first game against that team ended in a 18-3 loss).
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 16th 2016, 11:37 pm

Good job!

"In the Midst of Adversity, Lies Opportunity."

(Outpost #28 Motto)

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore March 17th 2016, 12:33 am

Canadarangers wrote:

As soon as Prince Charles takes the throne(the queen is after all in her 90's now), a few things change.  We sing God save the king (once in while), and all Canadian Warships go from being  HMCS(Her Majesty's Canadian Ship.... to being His Majesty's...  

Bill Clinton has more girl-friends than His Majesty has ships............

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool March 17th 2016, 3:55 pm

Our interim pastor just got back from performing his uncle's funeral in the next state. He missed a few work days with us and is asking that his next paycheck be docked. Man of integrity.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 19th 2016, 4:16 pm

joecool wrote:Our interim pastor just got back from performing his uncle's funeral in the next state. He missed a few work days with us and is asking that his next paycheck be docked. Man of integrity.

I wouldn't dock it. Even Walmart pays me 5 days of mourning pay for close family.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett March 19th 2016, 4:20 pm

Canadarangers wrote:I'd give money to hear her say that.

Just to clarify, I am not a monarchist. I did affirm an allegiance to the queen when I signed up for the forces.  

As soon as Prince Charles takes the throne(the queen is after all in her 90's now), a few things change.  We sing God save the king (once in while), and all Canadian Warships go from being  HMCS(Her Majesty's Canadian Ship.... to being His Majesty's...  

Now I know what HMS stands for!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content