RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Happy New Year!!! January Thread

+2
RRCmdrBennett
Mark Jones
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Happy New Year!!! January Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Happy New Year!!! January Thread

Post by Canadarangers January 24th 2016, 6:25 pm

99.9 cents per litre the other day. Way better then the $1.35 we were paying a few weeks ago. Shocked

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Happy New Year!!! January Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Happy New Year!!! January Thread

Post by Claymore January 24th 2016, 6:27 pm

As we say here in the South, "Bless your Hearts".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett January 24th 2016, 7:37 pm

I seen Ohio in Cleveland are suburbs at $1.33 gal plus and super under $2 too. Michigan I hear is .78 cents a gal. I think I woke up in the early '90s. Is Bill being impeached again haha.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers January 24th 2016, 11:14 pm

Claymore wrote:As we say here in the South, "Bless your Hearts".

My Grandmother said that...east coaster...

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore January 25th 2016, 10:06 pm

O.K., check this out.

Gun Deer Season (in various forms) has been going on since the week prior to Thanksgiving.  Because of family emergencies & illness, I got out for the first time today; 7 days of Deer Season left.

Now, it is currently Primitive Weapons Season, which means that a legal rifle is a single-shot firearm that is either a muzzle loader, or a single-shot breach loader which fires a metallic cartridge of not less than .35 Caliber, has an exposed hammer, and is a design similar to one made prior to 1898.

Except on Private Property, in which case, you can use any legal firearm.

So.......

This morning, I hunted with an H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70.

This afternoon, I hunted with an SKS.

(No jerky on the butcher table, yet.)

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross January 26th 2016, 6:19 am

And what did you take this morning?

Glad you brought this up because I was having a conversation with a friend just the other day about this. Is there any biological reason for deer seasons? I had always assumed it was because does dropped their young early in the new year (SC's deer season ends Jan 1st), but then I found out that other states go longer than we do. I then began to wonder if it was because bucks were really starting to shed by now and they were afraid that hunters wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

SC has a couple different start dates throughout the state, but in the zone I live in, it starts Aug 15 (all zones end Jan 1), but there's a really good chance that you can have days pushing 100°F in August. January and February are our coldest months. I wish that our season went from Sept 15 - Feb 1 instead of what it is now. Any thoughts on why states choose the dates they do?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool January 26th 2016, 8:51 am

In Montana, because of low harvesting, some hunting districts end up with an over-abundance of elk. So the season gets extended past Thanksgiving. Always a juggling act for our wildlife department, because they don't want hunters out there in deep winter. Not good for optics when visitors from the deep South end up frozen. Wink
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore January 26th 2016, 11:24 am

I think that states like Bruce's are a bit of the exception, because of concern about keeping people from getting into weather/environment situations that can get them killed.

I think that the primary reasons are viability of the fauns and food availability. Most fauns are born in the spring and summer. By the time that hunting season comes around, the majority of them should be self-sufficient, if anything happens to "mama".

Also, most deer seasons end at/about the time that the food in the woods is getting near the minimum. Farmers' crops have all been harvested, and the trees & flowering plants have long lost their fruit. So now there is less available food in the woods. It would make sense to have this be the time when the herd is lowest, so that there is less chance to lose deer because of malnutrition.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett January 27th 2016, 9:24 pm

I sold one "primitive" single shot H&R survivor .410ga/.45 Long Colt but I am keeping the .44 mag single shot. Nothing simpler and more reliable than single shot breechloader. Plus Ohio allows now for straight walled cartridge rifles and its my only one.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum