RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

December Greetings, Merry Christmas

+3
Claymore
joecool
Mark Jones
7 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 3 Empty Re: December Greetings, Merry Christmas

Post by Claymore December 8th 2015, 7:43 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:We don't have a pension and 401k can rollover or be taken out without a penalty if I switched jobs. I agree with Philip's sentiment on doing what you love to do and that health insurance is not all that unless you work for a really great company. You pay close to $200 / mo and have $6k deductible before they kick in 80%. What I could if I invested my $2k premiums plus $6k deducible...

Claymore, I'm sure gov regulations do run a lot of small shops out of business. There are many factors that affect the gun business. We have a really nice small 4 store chain in Ohio called Fin Feather and Fur that went from a shop the size of a barn to a two story shop with a basement that has reloading dept, gun range, and archery range. One wing is all for anglers and another is all archery with an elevator that connects all 3 levels. The shops I've seen that do the best are diversified catering to all kinds of ourdoors people. 

Even I do go over to Cabela's it may not be the firearms dept. I think whatever I did there I'd find something to be passionate about. 

One side says play it safe, youngbuck says go take a risk, and Bruce says seek the Lord.
I think Bruce WINS!

Well, maybe my view is somewhat influenced by the fact that I currently live in Rural Mississippi, where a HUGE percentage of the population are living in decrepit mobile homes, often because they did what they WANTED to do all their lives, rather than to have discipline to reach their Long-Term Goals.

Of course, the same type of people thought that I was a "sucker" for giving up my week-ends, missing weddings and parties, and having to live in a city with a crime-problem, rather than being fairly comfortable in the country without any real responsibility.

Now they are envious of me, receiving retirement from being in Law Enforcement for 21 years and the Military/Reserve for 38 years. They feel that it is "not fair".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 3 Empty Re: December Greetings, Merry Christmas

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 8:31 pm

Claymore wrote:
..often because they did what they WANTED to do all their lives, rather than to have discipline to reach their Long-Term Goals.

Of course, the same type of people thought that I was a "sucker" for giving up my week-ends, missing weddings and parties, and having to live in a city with a crime-problem, rather than being fairly comfortable in the country without any real responsibility.  

Now they are envious of me, receiving retirement from being in Law Enforcement for 21 years and the Military/Reserve for 38 years.  They feel that it is "not fair".
And here is the crux of the matter. There's a HUGE difference between instant gratification and delayed gratification. In fact that actually helps refine my point. I don't think someone should stick with a job just because of a couple weeks of vacation per year if they truly desire something else. They may have to sacrifice that existing "benefit" to achieve something greater (to them) in the long run.

So yes, I definitely agree with you!!
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 8th 2015, 9:30 pm

That reminds me. You guys want to go get your gratification with me on the 25 miler this weekend. 80% chance of rain on Sunday with 14 river crossings. I am taking off a half a day vacation friday and a full day of vacation on monday. Then I will have burnt up all my 6 weeks of vacation for the year. Ok..in 2 more weeks I get another 6 weeks. GRIN!

Trust me. I will need the vacation on Monday after the 25 miler. Monday night going to a RR Christmas party. Woo Whooo it all is good.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 9th 2015, 5:12 am

Prepare for worst pray for the best.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 9th 2015, 5:29 am

One could only look in Genesis to see how each step Joseph took appeared to go in the opposite direction of his God given dreams but were stepping stones to the way up. If I had a mortgage I'd be less likely to jump. Having Uber/Lyft definitely pads any difference in pay I may or may not lose. Both jobs are at-will neither is union.  

Claymore, delayed gratification is definitely a problem of modern society. It happened slowly with the introduction of credit. Ford even called it folly. Many can't conceive of using their own $ as emergency funds. I like the Dave Ramsey way its right out of Proverbs. 

Claymore, did you intend to have two retirement checks plus your wife's or just passion for that kind of work drive you to it?  I imagine you could have played it safe as a dairy supervisor but you chose the two way shooting range instead. You definitely took a risk to do what you loved to do.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 9th 2015, 3:49 pm

Horrible Oval Office speech a couple of days ago by our commander-in-chief. Same old, same old. No changes to his strategy. Reminds me of GW Bush saying "Stay the course" for waaaaaay too long.

Which brings to mind a random thought. If pure, untouched females are the cat's meow, and lead to plenty of volunteers, what happens when a martyred jihadist runs out of his 72 virgins? And in the case of the San Bernardino wife, what does she get out of the whole deal? No more housework?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 9th 2015, 4:12 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:

Claymore, did you intend to have two retirement checks plus your wife's or just passion for that kind of work drive you to it?  I imagine you could have played it safe as a dairy supervisor but you chose the two way shooting range instead. You definitely took a risk to do what you loved to do.

When I started in the Military, it was for a sense of Patriotism and Professionalism.  I remember stating after I was assigned into an Airborne (and later S.F.) Unit, "It would take a tough son-of-a-gun to get me out of this Unit".

In Police, it was much the same thing.  I liked the job so much that, for about the first twelve years, I would rather go to work than to take an off-day.

But eventually, I started seeing my retirement statements and how much I was accruing.  For the first few years, when it was only a couple of hundred dollars, and it didn't mean much.  But as hundreds start turning into thousands, it gets your attention.  Then you start to get the idea that, "Every day that I come to work, that figure gets larger".

When my wife was working for the County, and was in charge of support for the computers for the Board of Supervisors, their Operations, & Staff, and a 12 Million Dollar Budget, she came to me and said that she was going to quit.  She wanted to join a private I.T. support company, where she said that she could make $80,000.00 per year, rather than the $27,000.00 that she was getting.

I had a talk with her.  I showed her the value of her vacation, health benefits, and job security.  I also showed her that, at a multiplier of 1 1/2% per year, what she currently had vested in her retirement, and what she would have at 25 years.

My bottom line was, "You're not quitting".  

She has, since, said that she is happy with that decision.

By the way, I still send Christmas Cards to men that I was with in the Military 20 years ago and Law Enforcement Officers that I worked with 10 years ago - so it's not ALL about the benefits and security.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 9th 2015, 5:38 pm

But did you hate it? I know this is extreme and possibly not Dan's situation (more academic in nature now), but would you have done it all if you hated it every day? If every day was drudgery that all you could do is look forward to the weekend, or that vacation. Could you have done it for all those years with absolutely no heart in it?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 9th 2015, 6:08 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:But did you hate it?

There WERE times.............

Like when I was made the Lead Investigator in the Forgery Unit.  A victim comes in reporting that her purse was stolen and that there are thousands of dollars of fraudulent charges on her credit card.

You contact the Credit Card Company and get an expedited list of all places where the card was used from the "time of crime", contact all of the retail merchants, find if there is a video of the card being used, go to the retailers, locate the transactions, and bring the tapes in to the Department, make photographs from the tapes, manage to identify the suspect, locate the suspect, arrest, interview & book the suspect, finish your report, type up a Criminal Complaint for the State Prosecutor's Office, present the case for charges, then the Credit Card Company says that they have now reimbursed the victim, that the Credit Card Company is now the Financial Victim, and that they refuse to follow through on prosecution.

Now multiply this by 48 cases on your desk and growing: all must be investigated; most are solvable, and when you do investigate & solve the case, the Financial Institution won't cooperate.

Or go through the Investigation to obtain a Search Warrant and to do a Tactical Entry into a drug-house and arrest an illegal immigrant in a drug house with $4,000.00 worth of Cocaine and a loaded 6-inch .357 Magnum Revolver; call the Immigration Service, and they refuse to put a Detainer on your suspect.

Or be assigned in a unit with a Platoon Sergeant who is inefficient as a leader, and that you and your men are suffering, because of his lack of professionalism.

But I realized that, even though even though I was in crapola up to my shoulders, I wasn't going to squander the previous time and effort in the job, and if I just persisted for a few more years, I would have my retirement locked in, and no one could take that away from me.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 9th 2015, 8:46 pm

There are days that I hate my job. There are days that I love my job. I don't really go off of those feelings. I go with it's a good thing to keep working and to add up the benefits and keep that in mind when I see others giving all that away for a few bucks more a hour here and there.

I have been told more than a dozen times from past co workers that hated their job. They wished they hadn't quit because the new job has it's love hate relationship and they don't get 6 weeks of vacation or near the money they did at one time. Now I have also been told by one or two that they wished they had quit a long time ago... GRIN!

Who really knows.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 10th 2015, 2:10 am

Yes, Claymore to go from Gov County to private sector is almost crazy even if $ is 3x's higher. In Mark you have a union shop. Claymore I don't know if your PD had a union or not but both jobs were gov jobs. For me jts just vacation time and 401k. Which 401k is not stuck with one employer. Really only thing I'd be sacrificing is vacation time. I am living for weekends or in my case sun and Weds are my regular days off and vacation time and vacation buybacks are great too. I'll pray about it. Maybe I can work part time mornings at Cabela and keep Walmart lol.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 10th 2015, 2:47 am

All that I am recommending is caution over "lust".

There are plenty of things that we may "want", but find that when we get those things (or persons) the new situation isn't as great as we dreamed of, and we lost those things (or persons) that we left behind for the new ones.

(I once told a Detective Lieutenant that a Shoulder Holster was much like a Second Girlfriend, "...wanting one may be better than having one".)

I realize that your benefits and security are not on the same level as those in a Government Job or working for General Motors or Boeing.  But is IS going to take you 8 years at the new job to be at the same seniority level as you have in your current position.  If you remained at your present position for that time, you would have 16 years seniority.  Are there worthy benefits to that?

The best time to look for another job is when you are already employed.  It shows your new potential employer that you are not desperate, that you are capable of holding a job, and that you are really interested in the potential employer's company.

The "dream" job is to find something that you enjoy doing that has (in this order) Security, Benefits, Wages, Retirement.  That may be a tall glass of water in this Age, but they are good qualifiers to watch for.  The less of these that the new job has; the less I would be inclined to give up my present job for.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 10th 2015, 2:54 am

Seniority is nothing here at Walmart. Security its at will and see management terminate good workers for the smallest infraction while the favorites could commit mass murder and still have a job. 

All good things to consider. 

I feel better knowing ya'll care so much to post about my future.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 10th 2015, 7:32 am

RRCmdrBennett wrote:

I feel better knowing ya'll care so much to post about my future.
Nah. We just enjoy arguing our points with each other, and you gave us another topic to do so with... Mr Green
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 10th 2015, 9:35 am

Besides, the more that people prosper, the more "toys" that are laying around for we survivors to pick up.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 10th 2015, 11:06 am

Grin. You guys remind me of teaching safety at the rappelling outing. We are told to tell them about 911 services...but we conclude if you fall off of there you will be dead before they get here to help you. As we all laugh and slap each other on the back and get on with the business at hand.

Folk make life interesting. I know you guys are interesting folk.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 10th 2015, 12:27 pm

Thanks Philip I knew you wouldn't lead me on. Btw, how's your bike since the training wheels cam off...?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 10th 2015, 12:29 pm

Bruce, so true. I know if Claymore goes I am headed to Ole Miss I hear there is a mighty 2 gun collection there to outfit my new army.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 10th 2015, 12:56 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:Btw, how's your bike since the training wheels cam off...?
What chu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 10th 2015, 1:54 pm

joecool wrote:Besides, the more that people prosper, the more "toys" that are laying around for we survivors to pick up.

Yeah, but you may need "muscle" to become a Survivor.

Put an armed PBR up against an unarmed PBR and lay odds on which one will come out on top.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 10th 2015, 2:07 pm

I just want to know what Pabst Blue Ribbon has to with anything, unarmed OR armed...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 10th 2015, 2:17 pm

Claymore wrote:
joecool wrote:Besides, the more that people prosper, the more "toys" that are laying around for we survivors to pick up.

Yeah, but you may need "muscle" to become a Survivor.

Put an armed PBR up against an unarmed PBR and lay odds on which one will come out on top.

PBR? I'm talking FFG.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 10th 2015, 2:30 pm

I'm just going from personal experience.

The biggest ship that I have been on is the USCGC Westwind.

The biggest ARMED Naval Craft that I have been around were PBR's.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 10th 2015, 5:11 pm

The PBRs of yesterday could almost compete with the "littoral" naval vessels of today. No bang for the buck.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 10th 2015, 10:55 pm

Independence-class littoral combat ship

Good Grief, that's about an ugly duck!

What's it got, light armor for up to .50 cal.?

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next