RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

December Greetings, Merry Christmas

+3
Claymore
joecool
Mark Jones
7 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 2 Empty Re: December Greetings, Merry Christmas

Post by Phillip Gross December 6th 2015, 8:21 pm

Who me??? You know I'm the last one to ever want to start trouble, or even hint at being abrasive to anyone. December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 2 2575533004
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 2 Empty Re: December Greetings, Merry Christmas

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 7th 2015, 2:00 am

Phillip Gross wrote:Who me??? You know I'm the last one to ever want to start trouble, or even hint at being abrasive to anyone. December Greetings, Merry Christmas  - Page 2 2575533004

Are the flames nipping at your heels yet...

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 7th 2015, 5:41 am

Not me, I practically walk on water. Pray
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 7th 2015, 7:11 am

Phillip Gross wrote:Not me, I practically walk on water. Pray

So did Apostle Peter but he almost had a second baptism...

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 7th 2015, 12:39 pm

So what have you asked Santa to bring you this year? (for those of you that don't believe In santa..your wife).. what have you asked your wife for for the Holiday gift exchange?

I have asked for Walmart Gift cards. Use them for gas, food, internet purchases...Just about anything can be ordered through Walmarts online ordering.

I had originally asked for a new belt but I found a couple of Dickie belts thatI had and they had lost their screws and replaced the screws reviving the belts.

25 miler coming up this weekend. I am anticipating... sore bones and body..

Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 7th 2015, 1:50 pm

Santa is my best bet for what I wanted. We usually buy stuff on Thurs Thangsgiving sales or first pay of Dec when Walmart gives me 25% off 1 entire transaction. Most of us have gotten smart and we'll do layaway till first Dec pay. Delete layaway and usually the $1 fee is waived for associates. 

Our store had a display model never used Sig Sauer fore grip for a pic rail with constat and touch sensitive light/laser. Light is 450 lumens and strobe capable. Also got set of big and small Bushnell led flashlights with hi, lo, and strobe modes. You can lock light on and off meaning no click needed to turn light on in tactical situation in the home or while hunting. A Primo long gun bench rest for sighting in at the range. Plus 600 rnds of ak-47 ammo for $100 was a steal.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 7th 2015, 2:09 pm

Why hasn't a "Guns R Us" store ever opened? Such an inclusive and friendly name that would draw customers in. Maybe I should get online and get a trademark.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 7th 2015, 7:17 pm

joecool wrote:Why hasn't a "Guns R Us" store ever opened? Such an inclusive and friendly name that would draw customers in. Maybe I should get online and get a trademark.

We had a couple of gun stores in Milwaukee within two blocks of each other:

Spartan Arms

The Shooters' Shop

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 7th 2015, 8:55 pm

I'll be your first customer Bruce. You can frame one of my dollars. I'm excited that Cabela's is coming to nearby Avon, OH. Maybe I'll switch jobs just for the discount.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 7th 2015, 11:11 pm

Wonder what the pay difference would be in that move. I'll bet you'd look forward to going to work everyday! Smile
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 8th 2015, 12:11 am

Probably so. Even a pay cut won't hurt so much with a discount on my hobby items and Uber/Lyft driving. Plus while we do get an occassional ride request out this far Avon is much busier and closer to Lakewood a very busy suburb of Cleveland.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 8th 2015, 12:15 am

Downside I've been with Walmart for 8 yrs I get 3 weeks vacation. I've enjoyed using 1 week while selling the other two weeks back and getting a double check.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 12:50 am

Things to weigh out for sure.

As far as the 8 yrs is concerned, while that's nothing to sneeze at, doing something that you can really enjoy will mean more in 30 yrs. Life goes by too quickly to stay with something only because you've already been with it for awhile. Carpe Diem...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 8th 2015, 9:04 am

Phillip Gross wrote:Things to weigh out for sure.

As far as the 8 yrs is concerned, while that's nothing to sneeze at, doing something that you can really enjoy will mean more in 30 yrs. Life goes by too quickly to stay with something only because you've already been with it for awhile. Carpe Diem...

So true out of the mouths of babes...

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 9:26 am

Look who's talking... :evil:

Laughing Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones December 8th 2015, 11:38 am

I love my pension and my benefits and my weeks and weeks of vacation. Moving around it would be hard to develop that.

From the mouth of a ole timer..... stay put and grow that fruit tree.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 8th 2015, 2:52 pm

Mark Jones wrote: stay put and grow that fruit tree.

Reminds me of Johnny Appleseed. While his last name escapes my memory, Johnny did roam the frontier planting fruit trees. But he bought the land first. Later, as settlers moved in and saw the fledgling orchards, Johnny sold the land at a good profit.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore December 8th 2015, 2:59 pm

Mark's wisdom shines through, again.

You have come to the point where you have accrued 3 weeks vacation per year.  Wal-Mart isn't leaving, so you should pretty-much have a steady job.

Many, many gun enthusiasts want to go to work for a gun shop, so there will always be 5 guys waiting to take your place, if you ever mess up or get too slow.

Also;

In 1976, I thought of opening a gun shop.  I asked an old shop-owner in Texas how the business was going.  He said that it was declining, and that he did not recommend trying to make a business of it.  

If I thought about, I could probably name more that ten gun shops that I had purchased from that are no longer in business.  Mainly, the ones that are left are the big ones: Cabella's, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart, etc., and Obama is trying to make it miserable for them.

So,

In my opinion, leaving a current semi-secure job and trying to transfer into the gun retail sales world is a good way to put the security that you have at risk, and possibly have Nothing in ten years.

If you found a company that had a Benefits & Retirement Package and was fairly Market-Proof and Secure, I would consider it.  

Otherwise, don't be like the dog with a bone that saw his reflection in the stream and dropped his bone to grab the other's, because he thought that the dog that he saw in the stream had a bigger bone.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 3:59 pm

Definitely good things to consider. My question to you guys who've lived so long is how many people have you met that are miserable in their careers everyday just so they can have vacation time, health care (that's a joke now), retirement (probably a joke too now), etc.?

Kind of reminds me of those people who wrap their furniture in that horrible plastic. "Let's be miserable so that our furniture will last a long time..." So you can be miserable even LONGER??? Laughing

Now don't get me wrong here. I definitely agree that many times a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. BUT, I see people all the time that live for the weekend, live for vacation time, live for retirement, etc. What a wasted life! Why not find something that you live for everyday?

I think there's wisdom in making sure you can provide for your family, but far too many times the theory that you should stay put for fear of possibly failing is perpetuated by those who themselves are too afraid to ever go after a dream. That, gentlemen, is not what made this country great. What's the worst thing that can happen? Fail? Who cares? I've failed at a lot of different ventures. I've also succeeded at a few of them too. Then people sit back and act like I lead some kind of charmed life and just luckier than they are. NO. I was just willing to take a chance when the rest of the panty waists weren't...

Big rewards require big risks. It's true that you may experience big failure too. What you need to do is decide what's worse. I play this game all the time in my life. I guess it's a spin off of a real thing called "cost vs benefit analysis". So decide which thing would be worse, in your opinion, because at the end of the day you're the one sleeping in the bed that you make. Would it be worse to never know what could've been, or worse to try it and fail?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 8th 2015, 5:13 pm

Listen to those around you for good advice, and learn from other people's mistakes, as well as their successes. My father was a quiet model of hard work, having grown up in the Depression. He was deaf and couldn't continue schooling beyond the 8th grade. He was needed on the farm after his older brothers went into the Army. Can you imagine modern-day Americans experiencing a disastrous economic meltdown, followed by a world war? "Gimme my safe place!"

Above all, seek the Lord's guidance for what you should do. He has the "IMAX" view, while we have tunnel vision.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 5:36 pm

joecool wrote:
Above all, seek the Lord's guidance for what you should do. He has the "IMAX" view, while we have tunnel vision.
Now this is good advice! Very Happy

joecool wrote: Can you imagine modern-day Americans experiencing a disastrous economic meltdown, followed by a world war? "Gimme my safe place!"
No. I can't. And if I could, I'd imagine that it would be disastrous!! :evil:
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 8th 2015, 5:52 pm

We don't have a pension and 401k can rollover or be taken out without a penalty if I switched jobs. I agree with Philip's sentiment on doing what you love to do and that health insurance is not all that unless you work for a really great company. You pay close to $200 / mo and have $6k deductible before they kick in 80%. What I could if I invested my $2k premiums plus $6k deducible...

Claymore, I'm sure gov regulations do run a lot of small shops out of business. There are many factors that affect the gun business. We have a really nice small 4 store chain in Ohio called Fin Feather and Fur that went from a shop the size of a barn to a two story shop with a basement that has reloading dept, gun range, and archery range. One wing is all for anglers and another is all archery with an elevator that connects all 3 levels. The shops I've seen that do the best are diversified catering to all kinds of ourdoors people. 

Even I do go over to Cabela's it may not be the firearms dept. I think whatever I did there I'd find something to be passionate about. 

One side says play it safe, youngbuck says go take a risk, and Bruce says seek the Lord.
I think Bruce WINS!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett December 8th 2015, 5:56 pm

Bruce and Philip, I can imagine an America so desparate and dependent they would do whatever they had to get help from our government. Even be registered, marked, and chipped. Of course for our safety.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross December 8th 2015, 6:24 pm

Oh it's coming unless we have a drastic turn around. I'm not saying it will happen and I'm not saying it won't. Yes we keep seeing prophecy fulfilled, but nobody knows exact timelines. We may in fact have time to turn this country around for awhile if it's not God's time for it to fall yet. Or maybe we'll go through a tough time, turn to God and come back up for awhile. Or we'll just collapse and it'll be the end... Neutral
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool December 8th 2015, 6:26 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote: One side says play it safe, youngbuck says go take a risk, and Bruce says seek the Lord.
I think Bruce WINS!

Not that I've always done that. Looking back at the forks in my road, I've done all three. Sometimes the going got rocky, but I never had to back up to the junction and go a different way. I believe God has influenced my decisions, whether or not I was spending a lot of time in prayer. (But the confidence factor goes way up the more time I spend listening to Him.)
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum