RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Great water proof match strike anywhere.

2 posters

Go down

Great water proof match strike anywhere. Empty Great water proof match strike anywhere.

Post by Mark Jones March 13th 2015, 11:12 pm

Strike anywhere matches are getting rare. Ace hardware sells them. Here is a new way to make them go farther.

Take 3 strike anywhere matches. Take a sheet of toilet paper and fold it in half. Put the 3 matches half way in with the heads sticking out all nice and even and roll them up like you would tent poles in tent. Then take some walmart floral wire about 10" piece and wrap one end around the bundled matches. Then using the floral wire dip them in melted wax let it bubble for a few seconds and then put them down on some wax paper to dry.

Using 3 matches will almost always give you a good light. One match I learned will fail at least 50% of the time. This is a fun and easy project and it works real well.

The last batch I made lasted for several years. I made a new batch tonight. They work great getting the biolite stove to a raging fire fast. The wax in the toilet paper will burn hot and bright for several minutes getting your tinder going fast.

I was at Walmart and they had some waterproof matches but they all need a striker paper to get them to ignite for safety reasons. Cost was 3.00 for 25 matches that are not strike anywhere.

Used a Big metal coffee can with a smaller coffee can in it sitting on top of a rolled up wad of tin foil that forms a ring and keeps the inner can from sitting on the bottom of the outter can. This works real well as a double boiler. It takes about 20 minutes to get the wax to melt so have it going before you bring your boys in to make matches.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Great water proof match strike anywhere. Empty Re: Great water proof match strike anywhere.

Post by Phillip Gross March 18th 2015, 6:35 am

If two is one and one is none, then three sounds like a good number to me!! Smile  The only question I have is whether they stay tight enough to stay dry in all situations like a singly dipped match would... You could always use the 2-3 to strike at the time when needed. Just curious, but I like it.

I once found strike anywhere matches at the local IGA, and bought the shelf out. Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Great water proof match strike anywhere. Empty Re: Great water proof match strike anywhere.

Post by Mark Jones March 18th 2015, 1:15 pm

Being dipped in the wax pretty well water proofs it all. To get the match heads to light you will need to lightly scrape off some of the wax off of the heads. Then odds are real good that one of the 3 will ignite and will in turn light the 2 other matches producing a pretty good chance of a fire.

This last weekend was a struggle to find anything dry enough to use as a striker to ignite them. Rocks were damp, clothing was damp. We used a piece of toilet paper and a metal match to get it to ignite... but what do you expect from a area that has 3" of rain in the past 24 hours. Grin!

These have been the best fire starters I have used. I store them in a zip lock bag but it's not necessary to do so.

I will have the boys make some sunday night playing keeping them busy while the other boys shoot bb guns for advanced merit. Will give them the water test and see how well they preform.

Mark Jones

Phillip Gross wrote:If two is one and one is none, then three sounds like a good number to me!! Smile  The only question I have is whether they stay tight enough to stay dry in all situations like a singly dipped match would... You could always use the 2-3 to strike at the time when needed. Just curious, but I like it.

I once found strike anywhere matches at the local IGA, and bought the shelf out. Laughing
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down