We have 86 registered users
The newest registered user is CalvinM

Our users have posted a total of 13458 messages in 715 subjects

What Your Outpost Did This Week.

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Your Outpost Did This Week.

Post by Mark Jones on March 14th 2017, 8:17 pm

Is there no other church in your area that has Royal Rangers?

Is there another church that would consider having RR?

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on March 19th 2017, 6:55 pm

Along with two of my male colleagues, I'll be taking the HS boys on a two-day survival retreat next month. We start by driving to a dam on the Missouri River and getting an inside tour. Following that, we backpack downstream for a few miles until reaching our destination and setting up camp.

We're breaking the boys up into 3 teams and will teach a total of 9 survival classes. The boys will also compete after each class, earning points for their team. Devotions are attached to each class, and we have a guest speaker that night. We will also fish for trout, supplementing our diet with some secret MREs donated by the National Guard.

The only thing to worry about is the weather. It can be pretty fickle out here in the Spring. We will have a truck pre-staged there with extra supplies, just in case. Looking forward to it! If I can't get Rangers for real, I'll get it some other way.

fire

That reminds me. Our District youth and children's coordinator stopped by the church Wed night and ate with us. He was pleased that we are at least using Ranger and Missionette materials in a way that works for us in our Voyagers program. Our pastor interviewed a couple (associate/children's pastor) on Friday. He didn't mention anything about it today.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on March 24th 2017, 10:05 am

Went to the Climbing Gym last Tuesday night and had 8 folk go through belay cert and do some climbing for 1.5 hours. Cost about 100.00.
A week from today we go to Sam's Throne to do a over night campout and rappel down a 87 foot cliff.

We should have a good group going. Great place to camp and the view is awesome.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers on March 24th 2017, 1:32 pm

OK.. got a pile of derby cars in the mail yesterday...75 to be exact. Boys and girls are going to be participating. Scouts canada cars cost me about 4$ each..way cheaper then GPH after shipping and taxes. Borrowing a track from the local scout troop and a date is set for May 6th. It's going to be an awesome time. We just have to plan a few days of crafting the cars.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on March 24th 2017, 1:41 pm

Canadarangers wrote: We just have to plan a few days of crafting the cars.

You've probably done this before, but just in case...do a little internet homework for fast car tips. There are all kinds of simple things you can do to help a boy's car be competitive.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on March 24th 2017, 2:42 pm

Hey car kits are only 3.69 each here and they are hand delivered from our District Office Royal Rangers!

I know, I know. .21 x 70 won't cover the cost of shipping and taxes. So Race ON with what ever you can get for the best price.

District has asked the question if we want to disallow boyscout kits in our races. With the recent Gender Identy and lifestyle acceptance in the Boyscouts we are considering it.

Boyscouts wanted us to drop "Pinewood" Derby so we changed ours to Ranger Derby.

In light of the moral changes recently .... I am voting for Ranger Kits only. 2 months ago I didn't really care either way.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on March 29th 2017, 7:06 am

Leadership 203 and 102 taught all day sunday from 12:30 to 8:00 pm.

This is a necessary evil. Yet they could make it better by giving us the option of taking the boys out on a day outing and teaching some real skills. This sitting in a classroom for 8 hours listening to boys marketing a product has nothing to do with leadership. It's fooo fooo.
arrrrgh...we gotta do it again in 2 weeks. I would rather be the last man standing and take a paintball shot to the lower leg....GRIN!

Always room for improvement. We just need to grumble a bit more and maybe they will fix it.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on April 6th 2017, 12:42 pm

We continued reading and going over 2 Corinthians 4: 18.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I brought in a bunch of empty toilet paper tubes, and divided the boys onto either side of a long table.  I said that one side will be "humans", and one side will be "angels".  (For the sake of the teaching point, I would be "God".)

So I gave the toilet paper tubes to the "Humans" and told them that they could only look straight ahead through them.  So they could see, but not all of the things (spiritual) that were going on around them.  Then, I would hold my hand over the "humans" with 3 or 4 fingers up, and ask what kind of sign "God" was giving.  The "humans" said, I can't even see your hand.

One of the young teenager "humans" was getting a little bit unruly.  I had him look forward toward the "angels" through his tubes and say, "God, give me a sign!".  Then I dropped a soccer ball on his head from about a foot up.

He yelled, "Ow!".

I said, "Oh, you didn't see that coming?   The "angels" did."

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on April 6th 2017, 1:47 pm

This one fired me up. That is some good stuff. Good Job! Will use this one. Sunday night.

Mark Jones

Claymore wrote:We continued reading and going over 2 Corinthians 4: 18.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I brought in a bunch of empty toilet paper tubes, and divided the boys onto either side of a long table.  I said that one side will be "humans", and one side will be "angels".  (For the sake of the teaching point, I would be "God".)

So I gave the toilet paper tubes to the "Humans" and told them that they could only look straight ahead through them.  So they could see, but not all of the things (spiritual) that were going on around them.  Then, I would hold my hand over the "humans" with 3 or 4 fingers up, and ask what kind of sign "God" was giving.  The "humans" said, I can't even see your hand.

One of the young teenager "humans" was getting a little bit unruly.  I had him look forward toward the "angels" through his tubes and say, "God, give me a sign!".  Then I dropped a soccer ball on his head from about a foot up.

He yelled, "Ow!".

I said, "Oh, you didn't see that coming?   The "angels" did."
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on April 13th 2017, 11:20 am

Well. I had a meeting change and didn't get to try the devotion. I will give it a go one of these days!

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers on May 8th 2017, 12:14 pm

We held our first annual Derby race this past saturday.  There were 37 cars entered in 5 categories and 60 people in total with a number of our families that couldn't make it.  Such an easy event to hold, set up took 45 mins. Clean up took about that too. One of our GM leaders made the trophies. We had planned on racing from 9:30 to 12:00 but most of the heats were done by 10:45.  Food was provided and simple, hot dogs, chips, cut veggies and fruit and water.  High octane coffee for the adults.  We had so much fun.
All ready planning for next year to make it bigger and better!

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on May 8th 2017, 1:01 pm

Good job and good report. Keep up the great job.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett on May 9th 2017, 10:27 am

Now thats Rangers!

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.99

RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on October 14th 2017, 12:07 am

So for our Bible Lesson this week, we quickly ran through the Ten Commandments, and we spoke about how the Pharisees would be "Biblical Lawyers" and try to dissect the Law to use for their own advantage (like accusing Jesus & the Apostles of working on the Sabbath, because they were picking the husks off of the grain that they were eating).

So we briefly spoke about the meaning of each Commandment.  

When we got to "Thou Shalt Not Steal", I asked the boys why that was a sin.  Their general answer was that we wouldn't want other people to do that to us.

While I agreed with them, I said, "How about this?  Only two things in the Universe can Create: God and Man (animals can build nests, but they don't trade two small ant hills or bird nests for a condominium).

"When we work, we Create.  We cannot generally Create out of Nothing the way that God can, but we can take something that is of no value or little value and give it more value.  Therefore, we can Create value in something.

"Even if a man is working at the local Dog Food Factory, he Creates by finishing the product, or by packaging the product, or by shipping the product.  He has added to the Creation of the product, and its value, by his work.  The Factory recognizes his Creation by paying him money.

"So the money (and things purchased from it) represent the Creation that the man did.  If someone steals his money or property, that individual is too lazy to emulate God and make his own Creation; he steals the Creation of others (kind-of like Satan wanted to do, eh?)."

I never had that concept come to me before last night, when we were talking about the Commandments in class.  Maybe, I got a little "push" from Someone????

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on October 14th 2017, 11:57 am

Claymore wrote: Maybe, I got a little "push" from Someone?

Being open to a little push is better than being dragged, kicking and screaming.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on October 15th 2017, 5:11 am

Knife and Hawk Merit past 2 weeks. My part in it was making the sheath kits.
Had some butt leather given to us.  I mean large stacks of it weighing in at 20 lbs each.  Too tough to cut with high quality leather shears/sissors and too thick to punch out with even the 70 dollar hole punches...(it could be done but it wore you out and your hands hurt).  

So I took this leather about 4x4 and in the center of it made a pattern similar to the Hawk and Knife pattern and then cut it out on the bandsaw keeping the cut following the outline of the sheath pattern.  Just one cut in and followed it out.  Kept the first pattern outside remnants to be used in a jig .  Then took the pattern and drilled out about 12 holes with a 1/4" steel bit for lacing on the drill press.  Took the remnant and glued the remnant on to a piece of baltic birch 9 ply 4"x4" piece.  Then drilled the Baltic birch and made a master jig with the holes marked out on 2 pieces of Baltic birch 9 ply plywood.

Then took the leather pattern and traced out 45 more sheath parts.  Took 3 of these and sandwiched them inbetween the two 4"x4" Baltic birch plywood making sure they stacked nicely in the leather remnant part.   I then used 3 self tapping screws and screwed it all together like a sandwich.  

I then took it back over to the drill press and was able to drill the 3 leather hawk parts in the jig.   Each time I would use the cordless drill to remove the three screws and pull out the 3 sheath parts and run a 1/4" wide piece of cotton string about 26" long and that made a kit.  I  did that 15 times. (The jig held up nicely. It does start to woller out the holes at the top)

At Rangers we have a small bandsaw and I had the boys mark the weep (center part of the 3 sheath parts) and cut it down so the axe blade would cut into it instead of the lacing.

Boys did the stitching using a small drill about 3/16 to push the lacing through the holes and hand stitched it retraced the last 2 holes on each end so the tie off stitching wouldn't come undone.

They all now have their own Hawk Sheath that they sewed together.

Disclaimer. You may not want to read this. I just shake my head at the reasoning power of folks. This is my own personal opinion and I do not represent anyone on this but myself.
(in the past the boys AR and older would have done all the cutting and drilling using bandsaws, sanders, drill press but with recently attending Ranger Basics and Ranger Essentials "safety and the church" boys under 18 are not allowed to use most power tools.) (not sure what this is going to do for our derby crafting) With the legal council of the AOG in our church it looks like it will all be shut down even for the older boys...I shake my head. I remember taking shop in the 7th and 8th grade. Today we hand them a smart phone and a padded chair and they die early from being over weight. Look back in history. Let me get this right. I can hand a 12 year old boy a gun and bullets and take him hunting in the woods. Yet he can't use a bandsaw? Wow what reasoning ability.
Folks just because one boy somewhere in the world got cut using a tool does not mean it's a good idea to stop ALL Boys around the world from developing their skills to create and make things with their hands. Boys in the AR and older can work safely I have 25 years at it and know it can be done. I know grown men that don't have enough sense in themselves to use a bandsaw. YET they can be taught how to use it safely.
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on October 15th 2017, 10:24 am

We live in an overly-litigious world. Way too many lawyers out there. Which reminds me of the old joke...

A sailboat sinks and a banker and a lawyer are thrown into the water. A shark comes by, skips the lawyer and takes the banker. On his way out, the shark looks at the puzzled lawyer and says, "Professional courtesy."

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on October 15th 2017, 2:50 pm

joecool wrote:We live in an overly-litigious world. Way too many lawyers out there. Which reminds me of the old joke...

A sailboat sinks and a banker and a lawyer are thrown into the water. A shark comes by, skips the lawyer and takes the banker. On his way out, the shark looks at the puzzled lawyer and says, "Professional courtesy."

LOL

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on October 15th 2017, 5:29 pm

That one made me laugh. GRIN! I needed it. Just vented a bit.

joecool wrote:We live in an overly-litigious world. Way too many lawyers out there. Which reminds me of the old joke...

Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on October 15th 2017, 5:45 pm

For decades, it seems, we used Brotherhood Insurance for our Ranger outposts. You just couldn't beat the premium of $1 per boy per year. My current church uses them for everything. A few years back, they made policy changes that knocked quite a few activities out, including backpacking. Vented a bit back then, as well.

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on October 18th 2017, 10:42 pm

I loaded a folding table, sticks, flashlights, firewood, trimmed sticks from my pear-tree, and concrete blocks (for seats) onto my trailer and took them behind the Church.

After Formation and our Pledges, the older boys were put in charge of unloading the trailer and setting up a camp-fire.  

My Patrol Leader pulled a knuckle-headed stunt and cut his finger by rubbing it on the outside Condenser Fins of the Air Conditioner Units.  So by the time that we got back from the Ranger Room from cleaning the Boo-Boo and putting a Band-Aid on it, the other guys had the fires all ready to light.

We then made S'mores and drank milk.

With full bellies, we talked about how God had David send away all of his scared, weak, and non-alert troops and still won the battle.

We talked about how an entire Infantry Division isn't always better, because if there was a Division of Legg-Pukes in the dark field back behind the Church, they would quickly be discovered, because someone would be using a flashlight or lighting a cigarette or using his cell phone.  And upon being discovered, they would have artillery called down on them -- which would kill the Offenders and the good troops alongside them.

But a team of Rangers, or Seals, or Special Forces could remain there all-night, undetected.

Then I explained the words to the song, "Vive la Compagnie"; that the words "Vive l'Amour"  means "Forever Live Friendship", and that "Vive la Compagnie" means Forever Live the Unit", and that if we keep the Spirit of Royal Rangers alive, even after I am dead, even after some have gone away, we will still be Rangers, and the Unit will live.

We then sang through the song a couple of times.

Afterward, I took a S'more in to the Pastor.  He took it and said, "Oh.  Thanks for making MY class look boring."

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool on October 18th 2017, 11:03 pm

Claymore wrote: "Oh. Thanks for making MY class look boring."

I think we've all heard that from Missionette sponsors. Wink

joecool
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore on October 18th 2017, 11:35 pm

It was neat, hearing the boys walking away from the campfire into the dark, singing, "Vive la Compagnie...."

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones on October 19th 2017, 7:28 am

Good job Commander. I enjoyed reading this report.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross on October 21st 2017, 7:08 am

Claymore wrote:
...because if there was a Division of Legg-Pukes in the dark field back behind the Church, they would quickly be discovered, because someone would be using a flashlight or lighting a cigarette or using his cell phone.  And upon being discovered, they would have artillery called down on them -- which would kill the Offenders and the good troops alongside them.
Sitting here imagining you telling this to a group of boys in a matter-of-fact military way, in the dark by a fire. Laughing I'd love to come out there sometime and sit in on your lesson someday! I bet those boys have a good time listening to you.
Phillip Gross
Super Star Member
Super Star Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum