RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Culture Rot
by joecool April 17th 2024, 10:40 pm

» April 2024 Thread
by ccm2361 April 17th 2024, 7:33 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore April 3rd 2024, 2:06 am

» March 2024 Thread
by joecool March 31st 2024, 9:17 am

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17098 messages in 1005 subjects

What Your Outpost Did This Week.

+9
joecool
Phillip Gross
Claymore
ccm2361
Canadarangers
sreidelberger
Mark Jones
RRCmdrBennett
strods
13 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

What Your Outpost Did This Week. - Page 10 Empty Re: What Your Outpost Did This Week.

Post by Canadarangers February 9th 2016, 12:05 am

There is a lot you can use a hair dryer for when then main user is not around. I personally have zero use for one but it removes sticky things really well.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

What Your Outpost Did This Week. - Page 10 Empty Re: What Your Outpost Did This Week.

Post by rogeZ February 9th 2016, 1:42 am

Well I have been playing a running game with my rangers call "stump the teacher." They have to come up with questions from or about the Bible that I can't answer (the rule is that if I get it wrong they need to have the right answer). If I lose they get a point, if I win I get a point. If they boys can beat me by 20 or more points I promised them a Pizza party at my expense.

I gave them most of the night to get ahead of me since I didn't have time that week to prepare a lesson properly. It didn't go too well for them. I went from being behind by 4 points to ahead by 10.

Now I am not playing this game to win, my goal is that it will be hard enough that the boys need to actually spend time looking at their Bibles to come up with hard questions for me. It has been effective for some of them so far. Lately I have been getting questions like "What was the name given to Solomon by God?" Wow I was amazed when a 4th grade kid came up with that question and didn't even have a Bible in front of him while asking it.

rogeZ
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 1:53 am

Good idea; using competition and a "carrot" as incentive.

One of my favorite techniques is "Peer Pressure". I've had boys who didn't want to do their memorization for Ranger Recruit. I never pushed them, but when the other boys made Recruit, they were awarded their R/R T-Shirts and fitted for uniforms, and a big public deal was made of it in the meeting.

Within 2 weeks, all of the other boys insured that they had their requirements fulfilled.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett February 9th 2016, 9:36 am

Good idea Claymore. Withholding merit badge or advancement level would work too since one must be recruit to go above that.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 10:31 am

OOH, I never WITHHOLD anything from the boys.

I put it right there in front of them and say, "Don't you want this? Here it is. It's not hard to do; Billy's got his."

I always tell the kid hat HE is responsible for whatever happens in the Ranger Room.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rogeZ February 9th 2016, 1:28 pm

Ok I have never heard of Ranger Recruit before, is that something that is outpost specific for you? or is it another of the ranger advancements that are lost on our somewhat young group of leaders?

rogeZ
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 2:02 pm

I guess that I used an outdated term.  The new book lists them as "New Member Requirements".

I was using a politically incorrect and archaic military name from the old days for the requirements, so I guess that I will update and change my vocabulary................

................................................................NAW!

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rogeZ February 9th 2016, 3:22 pm

I will also admit that we have not necessarily been doing things "by the book" so I actually don't know about the new member requirements either.

rogeZ
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 4:24 pm

OK

This is out of the Adventure Ranger Handbook (2004). It is the same for Discovery Rangers, except the Age Requirement:

Be in at least the sixth grade.

Complete the Royal Ranger Charter Form.

Complete the Outpost Medical Information and Parents' Medical Waiver.

Recite the Pledge to the United States Flag.

Recite the Pledge to the Christian Flag.

Recite the Royal Ranger Pledge.

Recite the Four Red Points of the Royal Ranger Emblem.

Recite the Four Gold Points of the Royal Ranger Emblem.

Recite the Eight Blue Points of the Royal Ranger Emblem.

Recite the Royal Ranger Motto.

With your Parent or Guardian, complete the Exercises in the Pamphlet Preventing Child and Substance Abuse, a Parent's Guide.

Participate in a Recruit Interview.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett February 9th 2016, 4:38 pm

Thats basically what I meant Claymore was recruit is prereq for everything else after.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 4:53 pm

I see where you are coming from, Dan.

But when my guys make "Recruit", they get issued their Black T-Shirt, with the R/R Emblem. So when 'most everyone else is in uniform, and they are the only 1 (or 2) birds facing the wrong way on the power line, they want to earn their shirts, too.

I find that, with my boys, having the "status" is not as important as having the "insignia of the status".

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett February 9th 2016, 6:29 pm

Thats a good idea.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 9th 2016, 10:07 pm

That's a difference between Rangers and the other kids/youth groups at our church. Rangers do not get a T-shirt or insignia by "just showing up", they have to "earn" it.

I had a boy about 5 years ago, who came from a dysfunctional family, and was being raised by his grandfather. When he had started to outgrow his first R/R T-shirt, his grandfather told him to donate it back to the church for the program.

The boy had absolute fits and refused. He kept repeating, "No! I EARNED that shirt!".

Now that is pride for your achievements in the Program.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett February 10th 2016, 12:54 am

Woohoo, wish more of this generation understood hardwork for what you get instead of free stuff.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones February 18th 2016, 2:29 pm

Ranger Derby Crafting with a great turn out and even the National Director and his boss and two of his bosses sons. We all did good. It was good to see them enjoying Rangers on the front lines.
Pictures and report. If you get a red warning screen don't worry
its safe just hit the detail button and then the link to visit the site.
http://readyrangers.tzo.com/2016RangerDerbyCrafting/2016RangerDerbyCrafting.htm
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers February 19th 2016, 1:14 pm

Looks like fun. We are in the planning stage to build cars and run a derby. My new neighbour is a Scout leader and has access to a derby track that he said we could use. It's going to be a blast!

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 19th 2016, 2:04 pm

It's good that "rival" youth organizations can work together. When I completely remodeled our church office building's walk-out basement for Rangers, a Boy Scout troop started using it as well.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross February 20th 2016, 5:00 pm

Took the outpost to the annual Battle of Aiken War of Northern Aggression reenactment this weekend. We camped there Friday night and helped direct parking for the event this morning. The boys had a good time.

[img]What Your Outpost Did This Week. - Page 10 20160220_151924_zpsivtot05i[/img]
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 20th 2016, 5:23 pm

Great job!

I believe that there's a merit that they can get "Community Service" credit toward, for helping with parking.

Dan or Mark may be able to shed more light.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 24th 2016, 12:43 am

Tonight, I was downstairs doing preliminary repairs to the flag for the Church; the end was tattered.

I marked it, and sewed a piece of 500 pound binding tape parallel to the tattered seam.

Tomorrow for the meeting: cut off the tattered material, roll the seam over the nylon binding webbing, and each boy will run the machine to sew the seam down (about the width of two stripes for each boy).

I have a Project for tomorrow's Meeting, and the Church Flag gets repaired.

(Army Parachute Repair/Rigger School: Your Tax Dollars at Work.)

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett February 25th 2016, 6:33 am

Can you post a pic of the flag?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 25th 2016, 11:21 am

I've got pictures of the boys sewing it (left the camera in the Ranger Room).

I didn't take any "before" photos of the flag, though.

I must say that it came out pretty good. The worst thing that happened was that one of the 8-year-olds bunched the seam up a bit, and there was a 1/2-inch pucker in the seam.

I was going to take the seam out and re-do it (being a parachute rigger, I'm a perfectionist about repairs) but then I thought, "It's going to be atop a 50-foot flag pole. Nobody is going to notice a 1/2-inch pucker in the outside seam.".

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore February 25th 2016, 11:44 am

Another thing that we did in this week's meeting.............

The Wife had hard-boiled some eggs, and they had been in the refrigerator for a while, and it was time to use them up (she had boiled something-like 20 eggs, and I was getting tired of boiled eggs).

So I took in the remaining eggs and one fresh egg. I picked up a boiled egg and a fresh egg, and asked if the boys could tell which one was cooked, without damaging or breaking an egg.

The trick is to place the two eggs on the table and spin them. The boiled egg will spin for 20 seconds. The fresh one will make about 2 wobbly turns and stop.

I cracked the eggs open to prove which was which. At the end of class, the boys walked out with boiled eggs (they all wanted them), and I went home and cooked up a scrambled egg with the fresh one.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool February 25th 2016, 1:34 pm

Some commanders are just natural-born "egg-heads."
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones February 26th 2016, 10:16 pm

RANGER DERBY MANIA!

Setup for the big race tommarrow. Outpost level racing.

Taking pictures!

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next