RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Patrol system

+2
strods
RRCmdrBennett
6 posters

Go down

Patrol system Empty Patrol system

Post by strods November 2nd 2014, 8:34 pm

So we have grow to the point I feel we really could support 2 patrols now. I have 2 capable leaders and a few others who could fill other role.
So I would appreciate tips on how to make this work to it's best potential. I tried this before and we lost attendance down to 1 patrol. I'm sure it was coincidence but when you get burned you are cautious.
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Patrol system Empty Re: Patrol system

Post by Mark Jones November 3rd 2014, 11:09 am

It takes a Sr. Guide that is totally involved. He makes every event.

It takes Leaders that are willing to let the boys do it. They (leaders) are for information only and only give info when asked. (This is really hard for most Commanders to do)

In my 25 years. Only seen it working at one time in my outpost for about 3 years. The rest of the time it was lip service and only looked like a patrol at Flag formations. Rest of the time it was All leader lead.

I learned a few things from the Boyscouts on this.
1. Older young men lead the troop.
2. Older young men lead the meetings.
3. Older young men delegate the work.
4. Older young men lead on the outings.
5. Older young men ask leaders for information when they get stuck.
6. Leaders follow the older young men where ever they go even when wrong or lost and only offer advice when older young men ask for it.

7. Patrol system only works when you have 16 to 18 year old boys that are (older young men) that are willing to invest there whole life into the Troop or in our case Outpost.

My observations. I have seen young boys 10 years old crying at the tail end of the backpack trying to keep up with the older young men that had left them behind with bad fitting heavy packs. I was told they didn't worry about them because I was with them.. this was my first backpack with them..GRIN! They didn't know me or my abilities from Adam.

Now the learning curve here was high. I picked that up where I learned ...bring your own, cook your own or go hungry works. They learn fast and they learn hard.

My backpacks..we all stop at the trail crossings and regroup and we all go down the same path together.

In those 3 years we had the patrol system working the boys had the best time in their lives. They built 40 foot towers. All I did was arrange transportation and get them and their 40 foot tower stuff to Pow Wow...and over see at Pow Wow a safe way to raise that 40 foot tower they did it... I just watched and offered advise when safety was a issue. Best 3 years of my Ranger life.

So many things have to be right to get it to work. It's hard but not impossible.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett November 7th 2014, 10:39 am

In church programs its difficult to retain 16-18 yr olds when youth is mandatory.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by strods November 7th 2014, 2:45 pm

We're having the opposite problem. No one going to youth. The want to stay w/ Rangers/Mpact

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 7th 2014, 5:07 pm

Well. Youth here have their own paid staff and building equipped with networked games, band, black lights, concession stand and basket ball court and foose, pinball, pingpong... you name it they got it. They don't advertise the things that bring the boys... girls GRIN!

We have several young men in our program. Yet all but one or two do both youth and Rangers. I would be doing both that is for sure. GRIN!

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by strods November 10th 2014, 12:16 am

I don't know how crazy or stupid I am being but if I fall on my face I'm at least moving forward. Decided to promote the Patrol of the Year award. That medal system they came up with to replace Ranger of the Year. My hope is really to get the Patrols running as they should but you know how boys are. Some need motivation.

I really was the Patrol leaders to step up in this so to start I'll have them doing weekly inspections, which in turn earn points towards the Patrol of the Year. (never abbreviate that.)
Weekly inspection is looking like this:
Attendance (1)
Uniform (1)
Did they attend Sunday(1)
Brought Bible (2 for Electronic / 5 for paper)
Bible Reading 1pt per chapter as shown on Bible Reading merit
Followed Code (1)
Wore FCF Outfit (5)
Completed Skill Merit (5)
Brought Visitor (50)

I wanted something the most points can be earned by Bible Study and invitation, but left plenty for regular attendance.

My goal is to do the monthly meetings, with the leaders taking roles in helping their members grow. So my standard questions I want asked and answered will be:
What merits covered? Did anyone miss attendance and need to catch up?
What merits are we interested in earning?
FCF Advancement, you’re not done till Wilderness! How can we help?
Service projects: Who has one? Who wants one? How can we help?

a lot of this is thoughts online. Feedback welcome

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett November 10th 2014, 6:20 pm

Why does a E-bible get less points than paper?

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by strods November 10th 2014, 7:39 pm

If we were talking an actual electronic bible on an E-reader like a kindle, I may be more lenient. But we're not, we're talking "an app for that".

For the longest time I didn't accept any digital. I wanted Rangers to have an old school paper bible. Something that won't run out of batteries, or crash when out of cell range. Something you can mark up and write notes. Something, that you can read for a few hours and not hurt your eyes. But when I'd do "Bible check! Show 'em if you got 'em." I'd get hit with "Um, ya hey, I got one on my phone." GRRR Rolling Eyes
This is during a put away your electronics in Rangers. If your parents really need you they know where you are and my number is on every sheet of paper for RR.

In the interest of fairness though last year I did experiment with a Bible App, and I did find that yes, I did more Bible Reading. So in that light I did concede and allow E-bibles to count. That, open the door to allow the objects in the classroom. Since then, I've had two instances of gaming in class.

So I see the Ebibles as I see many things in life: neutral tools. They can be awesome. They can also be great temptations. Right now I will still allow them as bible tools but don't ask me to not still prefer the paper.

Sorry, this is a soapbox discussion that I usually have to have once a month with one Ranger or another when they want to challenge "Because the Senior Commander said so."

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones November 11th 2014, 2:19 pm

I looked around church the other day. Several were using Ipads or their phone. Reminds me of the days we had a big book and had a playboy in the middle of it. The heart of man either electronic or paper.. it's a trip either way.

I ask them to put away their phones. We have paper bibles to hand out so they can use those.

Did have a good trail devotion done by one of the 23 year olds off of his smart phone.

There is good and their is not so good with everything.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett November 11th 2014, 9:45 pm

I use my iphone and wife uses her ipad. We don't use any other apps at church.

I see the difference now there are many other distractions a phone or tablet can present to you. Its definitely good to have an all weather proof bible for camping. My bible app has ability to post to fb, send txt msg, copy to notes, create annotations, highlight, and its really easy to search for a reference when you know a couple keywords to a verse.

For a joke would you give extra credit for bringing in the bible in papyrus scrolls haha.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 2nd 2015, 8:37 pm

Good stuff here. We're trying to build our patrol system at the outpost this year more than we have before. I can see that it's going to take time and intentional effort to get it to where they need to be.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones September 4th 2015, 8:48 am

All the years I have been doing this..only about 4 years did we have a good working patrol system. So many things are dependent on the young man leading the group. Not many great leaders out there. They have to be sold out to Rangers to make it work.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross September 4th 2015, 4:05 pm

Yeah I can imagine that results would vary based on the boy's commitment levels and abilities, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

I used the story of David last outpost meeting when we started putting the patrols together. I pointed out how that the greatest leader isn't always who man thinks will be.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Canadarangers September 5th 2015, 6:30 pm

it is our intention to get the outpost up and running, have the boys organized into patrols and then in January after we have some time under our belts to really start to use the patrol system and get the boys leading.

RR OP #5
BC&Yukon Dist.
Canada eh.

Canadarangers

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore September 5th 2015, 6:45 pm

There seems to be a "critical mass" necessary for the Patrol System to work really well.  I would estimate it at/about 20 boys. (You could, maybe, make it work with 12 boys, but I am going to give a "Perfect World" scenario.)

Reason being:

2 or more patrols give the boys a sense of competition, and that there is something special about their patrol.  Makes it easy to do Team Building Games.

Having roughly 10 boys (more or less) in a patrol gives you the size to have a Patrol Leader, Assistant Patrol Leader (who can take the place of the P/L in his absence), and 2 Team Leaders.  Team Leader is a great opportunity for "On-The-Job-Training" for future Patrol Leaders.  The APL can be one of the Team Leaders.

Of course, 2 or more patrols justifies the position of Senior Patrol Leader.

Much less than that (right now, we only have 5 or 6 showing up), and you just have a "gaggle".

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down