RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Capture the Flag

3 posters

Go down

Capture the Flag Empty Capture the Flag

Post by Claymore June 10th 2013, 12:39 am

Phillip asked me this question back in the May Thread, and I missed it.

Actually, it is probably best to be in the "Games" Thread, anyway:

Phillip Gross Wrote:

"Claymore wrote:I think that the BEST activity that I found for our Rangers was Capture the Flag.

If you have a little bit of space, and at least 8 kids, it teaches tactics, speed, stealth, team-work, offense, and defense.

We just use a couple of orange cones for the flags. You will also need something to mark "jail". I like to make about a 10 foot circle with rope.

They will play until you force them to quit. You can even put colored glow-sticks on their arms to designate which team they are on after dark. In the daylight, I sometimes use colored plastic surveyor's tape on their arms or as head-bands.

And at the end, you will have a bunch of tired, happy, sweaty kids."

This is gonna sound crazy, but how does it operate? We haven't played it, so I just don't know. I like ti know all the rules and intricacies of a game before I launch it for the boys. Please enlighten me if you will....

Phillip, I just saw this post from May. I did not ignore you.

OK. Set up any field. It is best if it is at least 40 yards long, or so. Run a line (cones/rope) across the middle. One side belongs to the “Red” Team, and the other side belongs to the “Blue” Team. It is, sometimes, a good idea to get some plastic engineer’s tape from the hardware store and make colored arm bands or head bands, as some of the boys will “fib” about which team they are on.

At the far end of each side is the “jail” (marked out as described above). If a person from the “Blue” Team is on the “Red” Team’s side, and a “Red” player touches him, he has to go to the jail. He can only be liberated if someone else from his own team touches him.

Somewhere between the “Jail” and the dividing line is the Flag (we use orange cones). The Flag is in the center of a circle (about 10 foot diameter). The reason for this circle is that a team will often appoint a “Goalee” to protect the Flag. He cannot remain inside the circle and keep his foot on the flag. So he can run through the circle to tag an opponent, but he cannot remain inside of it.
So now you have a court with a “Red” side and a “Blue” side (which should mirror each other). The object for each team is to capture the flag of the opposing team and bring it to your goal. That is the end of the game.

A Goalee to protect the flag is a good idea, but is not required. A Jailer to protect the jail may also be a good idea, but not required.

There are a few things that you as Referee need to do. Watch that kids go to “Jail” when tagged. Insure that they remain in Jail, until touched my a teammate. Insure that the Goalee is not homesteading inside of the circle for his flag. And making sure that kids to not go into Off-Limits Areas (city streets to go around the block from behind) to get the flag.

For the lines and circles, you can use ropes, cones, or water-base Track & Field Marker Paint.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Capture the Flag Empty Re: Capture the Flag

Post by Phillip Gross June 10th 2013, 12:59 am

Thank you! I look forward to trying this one out. I really like the team building games.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett June 10th 2013, 8:35 am

I like those games from the Leadership merits too. They're fun and useful. We often get flustered telling the boys to work together but they see or experience an example of how to work together.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content