RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

The Selfie Summer?

+2
joecool
ccm2361
6 posters

Go down

The Selfie Summer? Empty The Selfie Summer?

Post by ccm2361 July 29th 2014, 12:44 am

While I was working Friday I was listening to a Christian Radio station & they were promoting their summer contest, "the selfie summer"!

listeners were encouraged to take a "selfie" (self protrait) & send it in. The station will post it on their site. For sending in a selfie you get 1 entry for the prize drawing. for every 100 likes your selfie gets, you get another entry

I just shook my head. it was all self self self.  Rolling Eyes 
It would seem like they could come up with a contest that is a little less worldly.

But Christi & I have had issues with them before, promoting things like yoga & zumba classes, way secular movies like the recent Noah movie.

But then this station is a bit on the lukewarm side of Christianity  Crying or Very sad  But it was only Christian station in range at the time

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

https://rangerchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Selfie Summer? Empty Re: The Selfie Summer?

Post by joecool July 29th 2014, 9:37 am

Selfies are a sign of our self-absorbed culture. It wouldn't be so bad if it was limited to teens, but it has infected every generation and every walk of life. Kind of like tattoos. "Please look at me! I'm somebody! Don't ignore me!" It's their desperation to remain relevant, if in fact they ever considered themselves relevant to today's culture in the first place.

Why can't people be satisfied with who they are and with what they've accomplished or plan to accomplish? Everyone has a burning need to become famous or infamous at whatever personal cost. Culture's eye is getting more and more jaded, and it takes more and more outlandish images to make an impression.

At the county fair last week, I found myself next to a young couple who were obviously enjoying the photos and drawings of nature as much as I was. And yet, they were dressed in hideous scraps of black and metal. The guy had more makeup on than she did. Instead of walking away, perhaps I should have tried to make a connection with them. Something like, "What a talented Creator we have." Who knows where it would have gone?
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross July 29th 2014, 12:52 pm

I don't know that selfies are as much a sign of self exaltation as much as they may be a commentary on how disconnected our culture has become. I have no problem with pictures. I don't believe that it's ungodly to have an image made of yourself or family, friends, etc. People had portraits painted of themselves or others since paint was discovered and photos since cameras were invented. I remember looking through boxes of old photos of my grandparents when they were young out having a good time with friends. Pictures are going to be taken and I don't see how that makes someone self absorbed.

Now back to the selfie. With the advancement of technology it's easier than ever to capture an image of a sunset, your new car, yourself, etc. and share it with people on social media. It can be a great way to stay informed about what family and friends are doing even when you can't be with them in person due to living a distance apart. The problem, as you all know, is that social media is actually causing people to be less sociable in real life. Enter the selfie. In the 30's - 90's pictures were taken of you by a real live friend. Now because so many people are less involved (in real life) with each other, the arm is stretched out and your picture is taken of yourself.

So that's where I see a negative of the selfie. It's not directly a problem, but rather an indirect result of a much bigger problem.

The biggest issue I would have with the situation Chris cited in the OP is the fact that the radio station is having people "vote" on those pictures. Now, instead of loving each other in a godly manner, they're causing people to decide who looks better, or is doing something crazier than someone else. That seems like a road I wouldn't want to go down as a "Christian" company.

I wouldn't even have a problem with them having people post pictures of themselves to the website so other listeners could see the other Christians in the area. Maybe have it set up as a prayer thing with a short prayer request associated with the individuals photo. But a competition of sorts? Not so much...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore July 29th 2014, 1:27 pm

Phillip put it well.

Radio personality Mark Belling (he used to fill in for Rusch Limbaugh) said that Technology Itself is neither Good nor Evil; it is how it is applied.

Best examples are computers & cell phones.

A computer can be used to do research for a Sermon, plan a Ranger Meeting, or make contacts for a Missions Trip. Conversely, people can use it to feed an addiction to Internet Smut.

A Cell Phone can call an ambulance after a car accident and save a life, or it can be used to coordinate the burglary of an elderly couple's residence.

Kind-of like a Shovel or a Hammer.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross July 29th 2014, 7:53 pm

I like Mark Belling. Seems like a pretty good fella for being a Brit! Laughing
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool July 29th 2014, 9:04 pm

Sure, anything can be abused. Like when you're representing the USA, sitting in the gallery of a state funeral, and it's Selfie Time! Or when you're on the taxpayers' dime, it's Selfie Time! taking pictures of your privates for the world to see. Or the endless stream of celebrity selfies plastered on the home page of leading websites. Maybe a person's level of narcissism plays into the abuse.

Where's it all going to end? Will there be full-time cameras on glasses? Wait....
 Rolling Eyes 
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by strods July 29th 2014, 9:17 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:I don't know that selfies are as much a sign of self exaltation as much as they may be a commentary on how disconnected our culture has become. I have no problem with pictures. I don't believe that it's ungodly to have an image made of yourself or family, friends, etc. People had portraits painted of themselves or others since paint was discovered and photos since cameras were invented. I remember looking through boxes of old photos of my grandparents when they were young out having a good time with friends. Pictures are going to be taken and I don't see how that makes someone self absorbed.
This is where I'm at. I don't have a major problems with pictures. It's nice to have a few pics to jog memories of camps and days gone by.

But I do agree when the focus shifts from "Remember when . . ." to "Look at me!" that's where the selfie becomes bad.
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 July 29th 2014, 10:01 pm

I like Mark Belling too

I have nothing against taking pictures or even self portraits. I guess what bothered me about it was the emphasis on self. hitting up your friends & family to like your selfie to win a prize.

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross July 30th 2014, 4:14 am

ccm2361 wrote:

I have nothing against taking pictures or even self portraits. I guess what bothered me about it was the emphasis on self. hitting up your friends & family to like your selfie to win a prize.
Yeah I can't see how that's pointing to Christ.

And yes, I agree also that selfies can be vulgar or overused. They can also be used for good too. I saw a Facebook link about a girl who took a selfie of herself everyday for like 7 years put on a video that went through them at about one second (or less) per frame. It was pretty neat to see her face mature over that time from a teenager to an adult. Nothing vulgar, just a documentation. I wish I had thought about doing that with my babies. It would be neat to create a video that showed them grow up in a matter of minutes.
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 30th 2014, 11:43 pm

Claymore wrote:Phillip put it well.

Radio personality Mark Belling (he used to fill in for Rusch Limbaugh) said that Technology Itself is neither Good nor Evil; it is how it is applied.

Best examples are computers & cell phones.  

A computer can be used to do research for a Sermon, plan a Ranger Meeting, or make contacts for a Missions Trip.   Conversely, people can use it to feed an addiction to Internet Smut.

A Cell Phone can call an ambulance after a car accident and save a life, or it can be used to coordinate the burglary of an elderly couple's residence.

Kind-of like a Shovel or a Hammer.

Or much like a firearm...

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 30th 2014, 11:51 pm

Phillip Gross wrote:
ccm2361 wrote:

Yeah I can't see how that's pointing to Christ.

And  yes, I agree also that selfies can be vulgar or overused. They can also be used for good too. I saw a Facebook link about a girl who took a selfie of herself everyday for like 7 years put on a video that went through them at about one second (or less) per frame. It was pretty neat to see her face mature over that time from a teenager to an adult. Nothing vulgar, just a documentation. I wish I had thought about doing that with my babies. It would be neat to create a video that showed them grow up in a matter of minutes.

I saw an episode of Right This Minute where they show interesting videos from social media and one guy did this with his pregnant wife  They took a photo everyday of her.

Chris, I get the issue with Yoga but whats up with Zumba?  Is Zumba tied inexplicably to eastern religion or a form of worship to pagan gods?  I don't think its particularly appropriately in mixed company or should be conducted in a church's lobby.

With smartphones its so easy to do a selfie when you can reverse the camera and see your portrait as you snap it. I've been asked to take "selfies" by fb friends when posting my latest weightloss numbers. Which btw I'm 246!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross July 31st 2014, 7:30 am

Yeah, I was just wondering when you were going to give a photo update when I saw that last weight update. How are you feeling these days?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett July 31st 2014, 10:04 pm

Feeling awesome. I've gone from waist size 52" to 43". Waist sizes are in even numbers so I went with a 42". A lil snug but I am sure it will loosen up in no time...

I need to focus more on upper body strength training in the pecs. I call this my midlife crisis!

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 August 11th 2014, 6:16 am

Selfie in the news!
couple fall to their deaths while taking selfie

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/Couple-Falls-to-Their-Deaths-While-Taking-Seflie--270695691.html

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross August 11th 2014, 11:42 am

And thus the evilness of the selfie has been proven!  Laughing

It's actually terrible that they died. Hope they knew the Lord...
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ccm2361 August 11th 2014, 5:23 pm

such a senseless death
wasn't trying to prove evilness. Smile I just saw that story & it reminded me of this discussion.

So sad that a child has to lose both parents because of taking a selfie too close to the edge of a cliff.

Lack of situation awareness  Neutral 

ccm2361
ccm2361
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore August 11th 2014, 7:36 pm

We are sooooo protected in our daily lives that we often fail to exercise "due caution".

Just 100 years ago, if a farmer got his foot in front of the hay mower, it got cut off; if he got between a wagon with a team of horses & a building, he could get crushed.

Look at the old castles with long winding stone stairs. They didn't have hand-rails; you had to be careful, or you would fall.

I am not saying that I want to return to those daily dangers, but it forced people to be aware of their surroundings.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross August 11th 2014, 10:31 pm

Rescue 911 really is a double edged sword. It has helped countless people live that would've died, but it has also made people stupid. They know that help is just a phone call away... Maybe not consciously, but subconsciously for sure.

Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett August 12th 2014, 9:08 pm

Claymore wrote:We are sooooo protected in our daily lives that we often fail to exercise "due caution".

Just 100 years ago, if a farmer got his foot in front of the hay mower, it got cut off; if he got between a wagon with a team of horses & a building, he could get crushed.  

Look at the old castles with long winding stone stairs.  They didn't have hand-rails; you had to be careful, or you would fall.

I am not saying that I want to return to those daily dangers, but it forced people to be aware of their surroundings.

I was thinking of situational awareness last night when watching an ad for smartcars. You know the ones that "sense" that something is coming close to your driveway and engages your break before you do. I was thinking how people will rely on these "safeties" to protect them instead of using their heads. I was reminded of my firearms training: never rely on a safety to protect you. Its a mechanical device that can and will fail.

Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum