RangerChat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» March 2024 Thread
by joecool Yesterday at 8:22 am

» Culture Rot
by joecool March 24th 2024, 7:09 pm

» Vacation Bible School
by joecool March 16th 2024, 9:19 pm

» If It Bleeds...
by ccm2361 March 12th 2024, 7:23 pm

» Small Church Survival
by joecool March 11th 2024, 11:05 pm

» They Still Remember....
by Claymore March 10th 2024, 4:04 pm

» Common Sense
by joecool February 26th 2024, 9:15 pm

» Book of the Month Club
by joecool February 20th 2024, 4:18 pm

» February 2024 Thread
by Claymore February 16th 2024, 5:20 pm

Statistics
We have 115 registered users
The newest registered user is Scott07

Our users have posted a total of 17078 messages in 1004 subjects

Vest Recycling

+3
Phillip Gross
Claymore
strods
7 posters

Go down

Vest Recycling Empty Vest Recycling

Post by strods April 3rd 2014, 9:31 am

Our boys have been us long enough that they are outgrowing their original vests and starting to upgrade. That means we are starting to have old vests possibly coming back into circulation. (a sign we've been around a bit I guess?  Laughing )

Anyway, I thought I'd get your guy's experience / process / protocols on what you do with the Vest Exchange?
Credits, discounts for used, etc... what has worked well for you?
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Vest Recycling Empty Re: Vest Recycling

Post by Claymore April 3rd 2014, 9:45 am

Our church provides all uniform items at no cost, but the uniforms & vests remain in the Ranger Closet.  The only items that the boys take home are their T-Shirts (expendable item).

There are some parents that just won't pay for uniform items (and I'll say it; they drive newer cars than mine, & show up at church mainly when there is free food), but I don't want to keep boys from enjoying the Ministry.

However, I've found that, when we send uniforms home (even just for a week-end or to wear them to school during "Scout Week") they come back damaged from wearing them while playing football or riding 4-wheelers, or they don't come back at all.

Not a perfect situation, but the best that we have come up with.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillip Gross April 3rd 2014, 1:52 pm

Wait,... so boys don't just keep their previous vest with the patches on them? I understand having a patchless vest if the boy hit a major growth spurt between 3rd-5th grade, but they don't just keep the DR vest patched up and start a new vest for AR etc as they move up?
Phillip Gross
Phillip Gross
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by strods April 3rd 2014, 3:40 pm

Now usually I always say buy a size or two big and try to only get a vest ever 3+years, but an ER vest it going to be a little big on a DR ranger, and that DR vest is going to be tight vice versa. So eventually there is a growth and need for a new vest.

If they want it for sentimental reasons, or if there are little brothers in the line, sure keep it.

But when if they just want a larger vest and willing to trade back the old one, I'm leaning to a 1/2 price discount on the new vest. The outpost then can offer the old vest for 1/2 price also (assuming decent condition.)

As for the patches, generally I have found the boys/family just do a strip and re-sew.

#35 - Dsm IA
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrPaul June 13th 2014, 8:45 pm

Maybe a little off topic, but my AR's aren't really into wearing their vests. They think that they are 'too cool' for it I guess. Anybody have other ideas about displaying their merits?
cmdrPaul
cmdrPaul

http://www.outpost76.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 13th 2014, 9:17 pm

All of my guys have been "vest happy". My norm is that the Awards Vests are primarily worn for Awards Day. When we would do Color Guards, I would just have them wearing Uniform Shirts.

Paul, do you do the Ribbons with numerals? My guys are also checking each others' chests whenever they get into full uniform.

18Z,        11B4X

"The last thing that I want to do is to hurt you,...................... but it's still on the list."
Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrPaul June 13th 2014, 9:25 pm

No, we have not been doing the Ribbons, just the normal patches. They get the Medal when they complete the yearly achievements (Gold falcon / hawk / eagle). My guys also just do it for awards day, but it does not seem to be an important thing for them.
cmdrPaul
cmdrPaul

http://www.outpost76.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 13th 2014, 11:11 pm

We do the ribbons with numerals on the Khakis.  The boys absolutely love it.  It's a little bit pricey at first, but gets more reasonable over the long haul.

I also try to take a formal photograph of each boy in his uniform with ribbons at least every year.  I make 2 copies, so I can send a photo of each boy to the parents, and we put one up on the Outpost "who-done-it?" board.

When a boy leaves Rangers under "Honorable Conditions" (notifies me a month or 2 that he is going to Youth Group or if his family moves to another church), I mount his ribbon bars on velvet in a frame & present them to the leaving Ranger.

If a boy just stops coming to Rangers, he doesn't get the presentation.  I do require some period of advance notice, if they are leaving voluntarily, because too often, we've made plans for a new program, purchase materials, then 4 or 5 boys decide that they're going somewhere else, and I'm left with $100.00 worth of materials going to waste.

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett June 13th 2014, 11:45 pm

I like those cases you find in the US Medals catalog. I bought a large medal case once for a GMA in my old outpost in Potomac. It takes GPH 2+ years to approve a nice sharp looking GMA case but they can come out with fancy medallions, coins, and doodads in seemingly no time flat.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by strods June 15th 2014, 4:04 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I like those cases you find in the US Medals catalog. I bought a large medal case once for a GMA in my old outpost in Potomac.  

I was going to suggest the Shadow box idea too. Or at least a piece of material you can sew (yes, sew) the badge on and have some sort of frame.
strods
strods

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones June 15th 2014, 5:15 pm

I have mine in various card board boxes scattered around.  They over flow and I just add in a new card board box.  Them patches are multiplying.  They never have really did anything for me.  I just never had a puffed up enough chest to pin them on...grin!

I had to poke at you guys or I wouldn't be living right. GRIN!  

I lost my zeal for these things after they changed the program.  I do like the utility shirt.  I wear it on campouts and floats...one for use the other for accalades to me myself and I!!!!

I got so many of those District Outstanding Service Awards they are pileing up.  HA!  I wished I did care about those things.  Just don't.  Thanks bub is just about right.

We have a GMA plaque in our Ranger Building. It lists them all...some good some not so good..GRIN!

All GMA's. Some in jail some not sad to say.
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RRCmdrBennett June 16th 2014, 9:32 pm

I have lost my zeal for most of that stuff too Mark. Nothing wrong with it as long as it shows you're passionate about Royal Rangers. Lately, my passion for Royal Rangers and section has dipped considerably.

RR Outpost #215, Ohio District :flag:
RR GMA #83 Potomac Dist-#2366 Nat'l

"Be Ready, It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark."

fire FCF Frontiersman 9/91 fire
Free Trapper 2016
Training Seminars/Camps:
LTC LMA 5/94, Ranger Basics 1/05, LTA LMA 5/05, NTC IL 5/09, WCO 10/09, ICS 4/10, RKTC 7/10, Ranger Essentials 8/10, NRMC 10/11,
Outpost Leader Advancement Levels:
LMA-Advanced 10/11, MoE 2012-092

RR v1.0

Lima
Golf
Bravo
RRCmdrBennett
RRCmdrBennett

Back to top Go down

Post by joecool June 16th 2014, 9:48 pm

RRCmdrBennett wrote: Lately, my passion for Royal Rangers and section has dipped considerably.  

Hang in there, Dan. Make Rangers work for you, instead of the other way around. It's been years since I lived by the RR rules as laid down by national. I tweak, adjust and sometimes ignore the stuff that comes out of Springfield. Not because I'm rebellious, but because the program needs to work with what I have. I'm a thousand miles from HQ, with an entirely different environment and resources at hand. Claymore will tell you how soldiers in the field need to adapt to the realities out in the field where they're at. Call it command decisions, if you like. And you're in command of your unit. I also don't get involved in district events, with the exception of the pow wow. I don't like their consistent lack of originality and organization. Good guys all, but I just don't go there. Rather than frustrate myself and the boys, we're like Merrill's Marauders. Deep behind enemy lines and carrying out God's mission...to reach, teach and keep.
joecool
joecool
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Claymore June 16th 2014, 11:20 pm

The Technical Term is "Decentralized Training".

(There, now. Doesn't that sound nice?)

18Z,        11B4X

Claymore
Claymore
Special Member
Special Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Jones June 17th 2014, 7:33 am

My zeal for Rangers is stronger today than it ever has been. It's the patches and vests and the GMA pedistal that I never have been all that found of. I would rather have the testemony of others that say something like... remember that weekend we camped in that cave? Remember that trip down from from Over look? Remember that 4" rain. Remember that float where God unlocked your truck door? Those events and happenings are my "patches, vests, GMA substite".

I have had 3 calls this week from our local churchs in Royal Rangers getting ready for the CAC this Thursday and Friday. We have a great group of leaders that strive to be the best and to make these events the best. At one time I can remember having the same outlook about the camps and such... then after prayer and some gumption by the Holy Spirit I got in and started leading the right way. No fear in suggesting to others what would make camps better...no fear in telling others that what your doing isn't so good...GRIN! Yet it's in Love and they know it.

Rangers is deep in my heart. Go get em guys... and YES YOU ARE IN COMMAND OF YOUR BOYS...let the National guys say what they want..but it's you and what works that makes the difference.

Mark Jones

RRCmdrBennett wrote:I have lost my zeal for most of that stuff too Mark. Nothing wrong with it as long as it shows you're passionate about Royal Rangers. Lately, my passion for Royal Rangers and section has dipped considerably.  
Mark Jones
Mark Jones
Star member
Star member

http://readyrangers.tzo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum